Mag Talk Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xadyu

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Dec 8, 2008
Messages
5,316
Reaction score
13,240
Gender
Hidden
Country
Cocos Islands
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

^QFT

There are currently 22 series in Jump. 14 debuted in 2008 or later. Currently the only series two or more years old are: One Piece, Naruto, Bleach, Reborn, Gintama, Kochikame, Sket Dance, and Jaguar. I am not counting HxH as it is not currently serialized. Breaking down further there is five remaining series from 2008 (Psyren, Mago, Toriko, Bakuman, Inumaru), and nine from 2009 (Kuroko, Beelzebub, Medaka Box, Akaboshi, Ane Doki, Kagijin, Wajimania, Shinigami, and Rilienthal). If I remember correctly only 3 series from 2009 have been canceled (Mesiter, Bokke - san, and Hoop Men). Because Sket Dance is the only new series leftfrom 2005 - 2007 period while a number of established series have ended or moved, new series have been safe for the last two years.

Of the fourteen series from 2008 and 2009 only three are currently in danger of cancellation; Kagijin, Akeboshi, and Medaka. Going into issue 1 it is almost guaranteed that at least 11 series from the last two years will remain.
Those three are indeed the only one's that started and ended this year. Other series that ended were from 2008 or before. (Neuro, E21, TLR and Asklepios).

Pretty impressive I must say, or was it always as this? That series of just 1-2 years old are a majority? Never noticed it really.

And I think a big reason for that is because of all the established series that have either ended or moved over the past couple of years.

Prince of Tennis and D.Gray-man (two of Jump's biggest series) have moved to SQ; To-Love-Ru, Eyeshield 21, Neuro, Muhyo, and Mx0 all came to an end. Because of that, the magazine has been more open, allowing series like Psyren to survive when they wouldn't have in the past.

Barring more established series coming to an end soon, I doubt we'll see as many series lasting for awhile last year. Just like after the great 2004, 2005-2007 were rather less forgiving to new series.

Doubtful that Naruto will end next year. I think the remaining plotlines will carry it through until early 2011, personally.
Prince of Tennis ended. Don't confuse it with it's continuation. The author switched magazine, not the manga. I don't think Mx0 can be counted with those others, at least, I wouldn't call it an established series. 2 years with mediocre rankings (right?) is not that special. Psyren's about to pull that off and it's definitely not an established series. At least, that's how I see it.

Next year should see more cancellations as Naruto is the only established series guaranteed to end.
Doubtful that Naruto will end next year. I think the remaining plotlines will carry it through until early 2011, personally.
I personally think it would be good for Naruto end in 2010, not for us, but for the manga itself. When it's time, it's time, and the time is there for Naruto. Just like it was there for E21, only, E21 kept going with another arc which was just plain garbage, fun, but garbage.

I don't want that to happen to Naruto, the manga got it's 10th anniversary (or is about to receive it) and the author doesn't need to make more unnecessary plottwist. The best, for the manga's sake, is to just let it go with the flow and let it end.

Still, a year is nothing for a manga of Naruto's caliber. It's hard to say if it can be finished (properly) before the end of 2010.

edit: I started Muhyo & Roji yesterday, but why exactly did the manga ended. Was it just a natural ending, or was it like Mx0 being cut short?
 
Last edited:

Negative Syndicate

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

edit: I started Muhyo & Roji yesterday, but why exactly did the manga ended. Was it just a natural ending, or was it like Mx0 being cut short?
I think Muhyo had a natural ending because it was able to last about 18 volumes.
 

KuwabaraTheMan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 30, 2005
Messages
897
Reaction score
46
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

Prince of Tennis ended. Don't confuse it with it's continuation. The author switched magazine, not the manga. I don't think Mx0 can be counted with those others, at least, I wouldn't call it an established series. 2 years with mediocre rankings (right?) is not that special. Psyren's about to pull that off and it's definitely not an established series. At least, that's how I see it.
Given Konomi's comments in an interview given just a couple of months before the ending, as well as comments about the continuation, I think it's clear it was always planned to continue, so I do count it as moving rather than ending. That's all just semantics, really.

As far as Mx0, it is a similar situation to Psyren. The difference is that it did it in a Jump environment that was much more difficult to survive in, compared to Psyren. To-Love-Ru was the only other 2006 series still alive when it ended, while Psyren is one of five 2008 series that looks to survive into 2010.

I personally think it would be good for Naruto end in 2010, not for us, but for the manga itself. When it's time, it's time, and the time is there for Naruto. Just like it was there for E21, only, E21 kept going with another arc which was just plain garbage, fun, but garbage.

I don't want that to happen to Naruto, the manga got it's 10th anniversary (or is about to receive it) and the author doesn't need to make more unnecessary plottwist. The best, for the manga's sake, is to just let it go with the flow and let it end.

Still, a year is nothing for a manga of Naruto's caliber. It's hard to say if it can be finished (properly) before the end of 2010.
I disagree that it would be good for the manga. I don't think it would be good, because I don't think the story can be finished adequately in the 45-50 chapters it has between now and the end of 2010. There are too many loose ends left to deal with, too many villains who need to be defeated, for the series to come to a satisfying end. I don't want it to pull an Eyeshield and outstay its welcome, but I also don't want to get a rush ending.

edit: I started Muhyo & Roji yesterday, but why exactly did the manga ended. Was it just a natural ending, or was it like Mx0 being cut short?
I haven't gotten around to reading it yet, but as it ended at the bottom without color, I believe it was cut short.
 

jose

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Aug 2, 2009
Messages
91
Reaction score
12
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

I think Bakuman will end in 2010.
 

kewl0210

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 27, 2006
Messages
1,390
Reaction score
1,902
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

Bakuman's a mystery in itself. If we follow Death Note as a guide, there'll be some big finale which will make the "clear winner" of some sort obvious. But as of now it has just proved it's too hard to tell if they're getting close to their eventual goal or not. Though I do think it'll end up being somewhere around the length of Death Note. Like 100~ chapters.

On the other hand, in Gintama Shinpachi's doujou will be restored any chapter now, as the story has progressed in that direction for the last year. So expect that to end at any time. (sarcasm)
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

Mr. Prince and I had been discussing how cool it would be if Jump starting doing shared covers again. They did and it's awesome. Toriko werewolf and Luffystein is win!
 

Googlez_kun

MH's Best Artist
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Joined
Oct 22, 2008
Messages
9,744
Reaction score
8,510
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

what a pity that naruto wasn't in this issue:crying
but it's a great cover anyway:)
 

Rainier

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jan 23, 2007
Messages
467
Reaction score
52
Gender
Male
Country
Dominican Republic
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

Wow, Tsuna is actually in the cover lol.

xD
 

Xadyu

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Dec 8, 2008
Messages
5,316
Reaction score
13,240
Gender
Hidden
Country
Cocos Islands
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

First thing when I saw the cover.. I said..

"Where the hell is Naruto at?"

Even though I don't like the character himself, I sure miss him on group covers. And I must say, I don't like Toriko on this cover, I just don't.
 

arsene.lupin

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Jul 29, 2009
Messages
55
Reaction score
58
Gender
Hidden
Country
Indonesia
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

First thing when I saw the cover.. I said..

"Where the hell is Naruto at?"

Even though I don't like the character himself, I sure miss him on group covers. And I must say, I don't like Toriko on this cover, I just don't.
Naruto absent this week.


@Siberia
nice catch.
 

Xadyu

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Dec 8, 2008
Messages
5,316
Reaction score
13,240
Gender
Hidden
Country
Cocos Islands
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

Oh, yeah I know that, forgot to mention that in the post. ^^'
 

◆ T.D.A ◆

Banned
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Oct 16, 2007
Messages
7,516
Reaction score
6,348
Gender
Hidden
Country
North Korea
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

Ichigo looks completely normal, and the outfit is not too unusual to what he normally wears.
 

lyndwill

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
May 5, 2009
Messages
6
Reaction score
2
Gender
Male
Country
South Africa
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

wudup people, been following this thread for what seems an enternity and never posted anything, until now . I looked at the cover of issue 48 and thought to myself that although the cover looked pretty gud it felt as if it were missing something. That something been Naruto. Yeah i know, some people are glad his not in the cover but, I like Xadyu, felt as if a jump partial group cover without naruto just seemed odd....... Nd then it struck me, next year this time that may just be the supremes of Jump. Nd although I enjoy all the manga on the cover I personally feel without naruto jump seems to lack the feeling of epicness associated with having 3 gods. One-piece, naruto and bleach running in one mag.
Sure Toriko is shapeing up to be a godlike manga one day, nd beelzebub nd mago seem to be on the increase , Yet it still feels as if they are incapable of filling the void naruto will leave behind. I know Kaiten-sama commented awhile ago on jump having already found its next hit in Toriko but, I for one dont feel Toriko or any manga from 2008 - 2009 this early in their run can replace something as 'epic' as naruto . On that note im looking to hear other peoples views.

On another note , the manga on the cover are undoubtedly what jump view as being their big guns, why then isnt anything associated with gintama on that cover? surely gintama over the years has proven to be one of jumps biggest sellers.
 

Rejuvenation

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2009
Messages
952
Reaction score
103
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

Very few series are going to "replace" Naruto. It has run for 10 years and is like the 4th or 5th best-selling series in Jump of all time. Nor do I think Toriko will replace Naruto. If nothing else, because its out to do something completely different than what Naruto has tried to do in its run. Story-wise I mean.

I personally did not feel anything was missing in the cover and was fine with not having Naruto's mug on it. But that doesn't negate the impact Naruto has had for Jump during this past decade.

I don't feel that Naruto is "epic" so to speak. It has felt mediocre or worse for at least half of its running time now and when it finally does go I don't think the overall image of the mag will change. Its readership might take a hit though if there are people only buying it to read that series.
 
Last edited:

lyndwill

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
May 5, 2009
Messages
6
Reaction score
2
Gender
Male
Country
South Africa
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

@ Braiking Boss,thanks 4 the reply. Incase i sounded like a narutard understand that i am not. I am one who prefers to dwell in the world of pirates, cuisine and yokai more than in the world of ninjas.

When i said 'epic' i meant it in the sense of what naruto as a manga has accomplished and in terms of the amount of readers it brings to jump on a weekly basis. Which I believe to be rather significant seeing as its currently jumps second biggest series(in terms of what is currently running in the mag) and one of the few manga in japan that regularly break the million mark in volume sales.
When I said 'replace', I meant in the sense of jump finding a manga with the potential to sell as well as naruto and hold as great a percentage of readers who buy jump simply for the reason of reading naruto. on that note thanks for answering my question.

About the cover although i said i felt it was missing something I never meant it in the sense of not likeing it . For me to have said i didnt like the cover would have been a blatant lie as all three of my current favourite jump manga are featured in it.
 

Crude

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 16, 2007
Messages
2,698
Reaction score
693
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

Ichigo doesn't look all that creepy on the cover, although he looks creepily awesome in the colour spread. The same goes for all the characters featured in the colour spread, specially mummy Renji.
 

y A M A T O

Manga Editor
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jun 7, 2008
Messages
220
Reaction score
67
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

Ichigo doesn't look all that creepy on the cover, although he looks creepily awesome in the colour spread. The same goes for all the characters featured in the colour spread, specially mummy Renji.
i think i'm the one who does not like that spread. probably 'cause there are plenty of better colour spreads made by Kubo, but honestly i don't know why it doesn't make me say "holy crap".
 

Rainier

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jan 23, 2007
Messages
467
Reaction score
52
Gender
Male
Country
Dominican Republic
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

So I guess we now have 2 Ichigo ver. Vampire: http://thefriendsociety.com/vic/bleachc/colors/239-1.jpg

The older one looks more creepy xD

But wtf with Hitsugaya in the color spreads? He's like pure fan service for all the fangirls. He's my fav char in Bleach... but not like that D: Also, Toriko looks terribly bad, and wtf Terry is a witch? LOL.
 

Negative Syndicate

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

Looks like rumor about return of Hunter is a false, after all. I wonder when Togashi going to finish Hunter.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

Yeah, unless HxH magically pops up next issue forget a return. Better luck next year.

I don't think this cover was supposed to be a group thread, nor fully represent the elite. Just a few years ago it was not uncommon for series to share covers, check the cover archive and you'll find an Ichigo 100% and Bleach cover as well as a Death Note Bobobo cover. Issue 48 had a bit of that feel. If all the elites and super elites were meant to be there Bakuman, Gintama, and Mago certainly would have been on.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top