Mag Talk Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Adamant Dragon

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jun 22, 2008
Messages
947
Reaction score
404
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
T.D.AYeah same here, OP didn't interest me at the start but it was no.1 for a reason so I decided to keep watching and reading it.


KoenosakiWell I kinda thirded to what TDA and adamant say... One piece's start wasn't really great to me too. I had given up on it too untill someone adviced me to have some patience till they entered the grand line. Yeah the guy was right and op was and is still amazing

then again I have to admit: fater rereading the 5 dutch volumes that have been released over here, I have to admit the beginning isn't so bad. I even like op's beginning now


Eh, I guess I wasn't alone. As for me, the story really Grasped my interest with the "Sky Island" Arc and mostly because of Enel/Eneru. That's when I really saw Oda's genuis (Because of his overflowing imagination/Originality). I dare say that he's without contest the most Original Mangaka in Jump. Now I see why my brother like it so much... -->Though I still like Naruto better.

And Koenosaki, you're right. Now I feel the need to read the early chapters, to grasp a better understanding of the story.
 
Last edited:

StrangerAtaru

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2008
Messages
1,452
Reaction score
294
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Going by quick survey using a Japanese Jump fansite of the first years of OP:

1997: Though OP did sort of show potential early on in the rankings, it sort of was shuffled with a bunch of other series of the period: Kenshin, BOY, Takeshi and such...but it did get a high or top ranking more often than not, particularly for a newbie.

1998: Unless you were Rurouni Kenshin, you weren't touching OP...though Takeshi, Tenten-kun, even YGO and the newly arrived HxH came close.

1999: OP pretty much ruled the magazine now, with only a few threats to occasionally poke around past it: Kenshin, YGO, HxH, Takeshi and Hikaru no Go.

Don't know if I want to keep going (Naruto becomes a factor in 2000 since the few ranked chapters in '99 were the early stuff pre-Zabuza) but essentially OP was a hit from day one.
 

◆ T.D.A ◆

Banned
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Oct 16, 2007
Messages
7,516
Reaction score
6,348
Gender
Hidden
Country
North Korea
I think OP and Naruto will stay in the top 2 until they end. I think with recent chapters Naruto can top OP but being able to sustain it is another question.
 

Imitorar

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 15, 2006
Messages
1,990
Reaction score
270
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Yes, when the current spate of chapters get ranked Naruto will probably have a month or two where it tends to beat out One Piece, as much as it pains me to say that. Naruto is usually second to One Piece, but it occasionally has spates where it gets ahead for a bit, such as the Sasuke vs. Itachi fight. And with One Piece building up (or is it down?) toward the lower levels of Impel Down, and Naruto in the middle of fighting Pain with all new Sage powers, a bump in the ratings for Naruto seems likely.

But when One Piece gets to the climax of the Impel Down arc...
 

Sexy Randal 105

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2007
Messages
1,052
Reaction score
37
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I look forward to seeing in Psyren is in the top five again. Oh shit..I just jinxed it, didn't I? Well, the current arc gets even better than the chapter rated last week. Hopefully it will do just as well.
 

blue123

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jun 22, 2007
Messages
17
Reaction score
1
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
So, my question is:
Why would Shueisha basically waste 4 issues worth of votings and let their editors decide the complete TOC for 4 issues per year?
Wouldn't it make more sense to have the voting of 8 issues prior counted?
Doesn't the editor decide the order every week?

Oda-sensei!! My brother says that the order of the manga in Jump is decided by popularity. Is that true? (by Yasumo)

O: That's a fitting suspicion for a Jump reader. Since I get these fairly often, allow me to answer. To be precise, not quite. The order is decided every week by the Jump sub-chief editor. But it's true that the most popular series are placed in the front of the magazine. Also, sometimes he decides, we're pushing THIS one this week! I guess you could say it's the "order you could enjoy the magazine in." But of course, the only TRULY correct answer is to read it in the order YOU want.
I thought the ToC was just sort of like popularity indicator.
 

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
it is. its the voting from 8 weeks prior counted alongside the sub chief editors own whims (see maison du penguin for a massive pile of pushed to top 5 shit)

hence the order you could enjoy the magazine in. hitting you with the most popular, then the least, then the immortal jaguar to reward you for reading the less popular and seeing if they grow on you
 

StrangerAtaru

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2008
Messages
1,452
Reaction score
294
Gender
Male
Country
United States
It's a bit of both from what I've realized. It's a combination of the popularity cards and the editor's preference, allowing them to do, say, OP ranking much lower than usual due to Oda missing a deadline.
 

Heiji-sama

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Top Shûeisha Janvier :
01- Eyeshield 21 #33
02- To Love #12
03- Baku-man #01
04- Pride #10
05- Liar Game #08
06- Nurariyon no Mago #03
07- Koibana #04
08- Nana Konbin #02
09- Yamamoto Znjirô to Moshimasu #04
10- Sket Dance #06
11- Addicted to Curry #31
12- Psyren #04
13- Sweet Mission #08
14- Roman #02
15- Luck Stealer #03
16- Reibaishi Izuna #02
17- Shaman King Deluxe #21-22
18- Tegami
19- Patisserie Mon #10
20- Kimi ha Sakamichi no Tochû de #02
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Mago volume 3 really did do well! All that's ahead of it are four established series and Obata. I can imagine it being at least as popular as Eyeshield and ToRa, maybe even passing them. Psyren and Sket do show improvement, in the past they would have been closer to 20 then 10.

Bakuman seems set to join D. Gray Man and Reborn's sales tier. I'm sure by volume 2 it will have passed Eyeshield and ToRa, maybe even Gintama.
 

StrangerAtaru

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2008
Messages
1,452
Reaction score
294
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I think ES21 and To-Love have been fighting all this time but somehow ES21 barely won out. And Bakuman...yeah, essentially while it isn't #1 yet, we'll see after the novelty of "another Ohba/Obata series".
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
It's a good series. Unlike Ral Grad I think it will grow in popularity. It may never be as popular (at least in sales, forget TOC for the moment) as One Piece/Naruto/Hunter/ Bleach but at the least it could equal or pass D. Gray Man and Reborn. IMO someday soon Mago will be as popular as DGM/Reborn but probably level off their, at least until Naruto and Bleach end.
 

Rejuvenation

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2009
Messages
952
Reaction score
103
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Glad to see improvements for Psyren.

To Love Ru and Bakuman are highly ranked too. :D

I'm not surprised about ES21 being on top but it still makes me happy.
 

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Sket and PSyren please me (sket for making top 10, psyren for selling despite a shite cover)
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
The next round of cuts is certainly getting complicated.
 

Magicoreo

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Dec 26, 2008
Messages
110
Reaction score
6
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I've got a question.
How long does it take for a manga to turn into an anime?
I know they probably vary but what would be the average time for it to be turned into an anime?

Especially death note, while it may have nothing to do with Bakuman when it turns into an anime.

I know bakuman hasn't even released 50 chapters yet but, I'm really curious.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Two years on average. That's exactly how long it took Death Note to get an anime.
 

StrangerAtaru

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2008
Messages
1,452
Reaction score
294
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Aside from some bizarre flukes ("Tottemo! Luckyman" got an anime with about a year of manga, HxH's anime started 1.5 years after the manga), it's usually a two to three year transition between manga and anime. Usually it's two years but some notables (Naruto, Bleach) took three.

Regarding Kaiten's Bakuman comment: although DN was massively popular on the outside, it really never had similar rankings and was probably just below the "big three" instead of an equivalent. I wouldn't be surprised if Bakuman got there...but considering how that and Toriko are both consistantly rivaling as the big newer series, it's really hard to say. (though come back to me once Bleach's rankings start reflecting the return of the main characters)

And one more interesting note: considering Kuroko is getting a CP next week, that's a good sign. (at least compared to Meister which essentially seems to have bombed at this point)
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
More color for Kuroko bodes well. It's already ranked so it's not a courtesy color. They seem to try this with new series they really want to promote: some time between week 10 and 15 giving a new series color. It worked for Toriko, Bakuman, and Mago. Double Arts not so much. It appears to be a bad sign if a series doesn't get color around that point. Everything last year that didn't was eventually canceled.

Bakuman has already proven itself the equal of Bleach and Reborn in the TOC. I'm a fan and am not knocking Bleach, but I don't expect it to ever completely get it's automatic place in the top three back. I'll bet it remains in the top 5 every week, but switches position within with Toriko and Bakuman (maybe Reborn too) on a weekly basis. Sales wise I don't see it being passed, nor Hunter x Hunter, by a new series any time soon. Naruto will never be passed. By the time any noob sells that well it will probably have ended. Assuming Kishi ever ends it ^^
 

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
well better kuroko than bokke. and despite my misgivings recently about it it has been coming into it's own now and then... but then i'm not foolish enough to look at it like es21, so perhaps my soul is intact enough to see it for what it is rather than what it's like XD

... i'd prefer a meister colour though... or a sket dance colour (more likely).

naruto can only ever be passed by one piece nowadays... though if anything can do it toriko can.

anyway nowadays theres not just a big 3, more a big 5 with toriko and bakuman jumping in. and with one of the 5 usually on the cover we have reborn, gintama, sket dance and psyren, heck even inudash to peek into the top 5 whilst any of the big ones hit up the land of cover
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top