Mag Talk Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Wait, when was it announced that HunterXHunter was coming back? Last I checked there wasn't any set time frame. I thought it was whether Togashi felt like being lazy or not.

Also I don't mind Meister getting the boot. Now that Asklepios is gone as well that would leave 2 spots for new series to come in.
it hasn't been announced. it's a pattern that's formed in his return from wanting to have a life, he returns in march for 10 chapters, and october for 10 chapters, releasing the previous ten as a much improved volume at the same time... the march isn't confirmed but we got october two years in a row, so it's safe to assume for now

koenosaki said:
Y to M contractor and jumbor (or whatever takei's manga name was) were cancelled after 10 chapters iirc. Fast if you have asked me with the knowledge something like asklepios could have ended back then. We'll see if meister will get a boost (like P2) if not then do they want space/ a free spot?
i look at Contractor M&Y and Jyuki Ningen Jumbor as rare examples, like chagecha, where a series was so unpopular that the authors just went "ya know what... screw it, not worth the struggle for failure" or "huh this isn't gonna work out is it"
 

eni

MH's Socialworker ٩( ᐛ )و ♡
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jul 21, 2006
Messages
14,313
Reaction score
1,730
Gender
Female
Country
Germany
Another question: Is there any source for the rumor about DGM getting back in April? >.>

You really see that date now everywhere, so I wonder if I may have missed an announcement.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Another question: Is there any source for the rumor about DGM getting back in April? >.>

You really see that date now everywhere, so I wonder if I may have missed an announcement.
Not a reliable one ^^

Glenat, it's Spanish publisher posted something on their website. Until Shueisha says something I won't completely believe it.
 
Last edited:

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
especially considering the conflict of information on what's actually wrong with her (and it is her, we have confirmation now, viz can stop getting it wrong... wait or is it? WHAT'S GOING ON?!)
 

Sexy Randal 105

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2007
Messages
1,052
Reaction score
37
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
United States
It's kind of sad that Meister didn't catch on rather than Kuroko. Meister has several games and teams planned. Kuroko doesn't have anything. I find it funny a series is getting support when the main character's special power is being uninteresting (Literally).
 

DeidaraGrimmjow

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 1, 2008
Messages
792
Reaction score
101
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Maybe it's just a preference of basketball over soccer in Japan right now... I'm sure alot of series just come in the wrong place at the wrong time. Meister's timing could have been just be ill-placed. Besides, there is no guarentee that Kuroko won't fail. It will probably just last longer than Meister. Or something like that...
 

Digital_Eon

Proofreader
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 15, 2007
Messages
1,140
Reaction score
70
Age
36
Gender
Female
Country
Canada
especially considering the conflict of information on what's actually wrong with her (and it is her, we have confirmation now, viz can stop getting it wrong... wait or is it? WHAT'S GOING ON?!)
Lots of it seems to be due to mistranslations. I'm also with the others waiting for Shueisha's official confirmation... and seeing how WSJ does things, we probably won't know until the week before or so.

(I guess Viz just didn't want to reveal it before she was ready to?)
 

GARusashi

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Aug 21, 2007
Messages
208
Reaction score
5
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
United States
It's kind of sad that Meister didn't catch on rather than Kuroko. Meister has several games and teams planned. Kuroko doesn't have anything. I find it funny a series is getting support when the main character's special power is being uninteresting (Literally).
how is his special ability being uninteresting? It's his lack of presence on the court that makes him an exceptional passer.

And it's because Meister has itself so set up that it's going to fail. I've expressed my feelings on Meister various times, but it's just trying to develop itself too fast. That one chapter introduced about 20 characters at once. Where is the mystery, wheres the intrigue?

Kuroko set itself up with a reasonable story, meanwhile Meister is all about "PLAY AND HAVE FUN", I tried reading chapter 8 and it was just, ugh. Though KnB could fall next issue and I could totally be eating my words.
 

Sexy Randal 105

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2007
Messages
1,052
Reaction score
37
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Kuroko's power is being mediocre in every possible aspect so people underestimate him. I personally think that it incredibly lame..
 

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
i have to disagree with ya now randal. kuroko's power is the one element of kuroko i've always found interesting. but then my turn off are those damn crossed eyes
 

kim09

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Dec 18, 2008
Messages
19
Reaction score
1
Gender
Male
Country
Malaysia
how is his special ability being uninteresting? It's his lack of presence on the court that makes him an exceptional passer.

And it's because Meister has itself so set up that it's going to fail. I've expressed my feelings on Meister various times, but it's just trying to develop itself too fast. That one chapter introduced about 20 characters at once. Where is the mystery, wheres the intrigue?

Kuroko set itself up with a reasonable story, meanwhile Meister is all about "PLAY AND HAVE FUN", I tried reading chapter 8 and it was just, ugh. Though KnB could fall next issue and I could totally be eating my words.



In Meister it's not just "PLAY AND HAVE FUN". In chapter 9 for example, when Satomi High concede, they try to maintain the scoreline by just 0-1 with offside trap strategy. It works and they start the attacking not through the middle but down the flank.They still use strategy to attack and defend.
 

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
chapter 9 has made up for some pacing issues with the character introductions that's for sure. fixed it up a helluva lot. but then the whole match has helped with that one niggling flaw. so once again meister jumps above... well nothing, its still in my top 5, just not above sket or jaguar...
 

fxu

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 24, 2007
Messages
847
Reaction score
1,103
Gender
Male
Country
Uruguay
It's possible that basketball is more popular than soccer right now in Japan... if Meister would've debuted when Japan (& South Korea) held the FIFA World Cup in 2002, I think it could've been big.

Or if the world cup was set to be played in Japan in 06 instead of Germany.
 

fxu

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 24, 2007
Messages
847
Reaction score
1,103
Gender
Male
Country
Uruguay
Indeed... I liked this week's Bakuman because it deals exactly about ""popularity"" and how unfair it is for those series that are always at the bottom... considering they never get a chance to become popular since they're not pushed as much as the others.

I didn't like the part about TLR... pfffff. Giving excuse as to why TLR isn't high in the ToC.
 

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
more foreshadowing of events in jump past present and future. its like ohba knows exactly what we want to know...

EDIT: but fuck all that seeing obata renditions of inudash, neuro and jaguar please me more than any useful info. damn that drama based jump business encyclopedia
 
Last edited:

kim09

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Dec 18, 2008
Messages
19
Reaction score
1
Gender
Male
Country
Malaysia
Is inudash is as good as the ranking shows? If so then where can I find the scans? I have 3-months holiday here so I don't know what else to do except for playing PES 2009 and taking my driving license. ;)
 

StrangerAtaru

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2008
Messages
1,452
Reaction score
294
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Somehow from what I've seen, Magazine does a lot more shuffling than Jump does. I've been trying to figure out their popularity pattern for a while now and they just seem to draw them out of a hat many weeks (with the only consistant being "Mou, Shimasen Kara", which I assume is the Jaguar of the magazine). Unfortunately I doubt Ohba knows everything there needs to be on rankings considering that we've heard so many stories from so many people. (particularly since Oda said his own thing a while back)
 

ssjohn

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 31, 2006
Messages
599
Reaction score
11
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United States
You know what sucks? Becoming busy and then coming back and finding out series you like are dying -.-.

Meister -- WHY???????????? Okay yea i am a bit behind (the whole being busy part) BUT WHY!!!! T_T

Askelpios-- T_______T I know Japan hated it, or the crazy rumor people, but I really REALLY enjoyed this manga, I don't know why, I read the first chapter and hated it. But after a bit it was one of the few series next to Bakuman that I looked forward to week after week :( oh well I have gotten used to it by now lol.

Anyways it might be OT and all but hope everyone here is doing great :) *vanishes back into his corner room on Denial Island where Meister is #1, Askelpios isn't ending its just ending its first part, Hunter X Hunter is back and amazing, and DGM is getting a flipping cover every once in awhile lol*
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top