Mag Talk Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

StrangerAtaru

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2008
Messages
1,452
Reaction score
294
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Probably why I'm in favor of manga getting their anime later on rather than that 2-3 year mark that tends to happen. The anime wouldn't catch up to the manga as easily and collapse.
Not all anime that are done even do a full story run. Heck, even the anime that do start after two years (or more) sometimes only just get a 26 or 52 episode run, even at Jump. People just want to have long running hits akin to the biggest series for everything. It's really rare for a shonen in particular to get a "full series run" for an anime...the only examples I can think of at the top of my heads were both either at the end or close to the end of their runs: Buso Renkin (which was sort of weird with it's rendition from what I read) and Law of Ueki (which is Sunday but essentially the manga was over when the anime started so it got it's entire story told in one run). It's not too bad to stop an anime hoping that there is still support later for the rest to be animated...but that doesn't happen so often unless it really is popular (akin to Kinnikuman and Saint Seiya). I guess this is why series like, say, Bleach rather just keep being animated than ending thinking that "once the anime is over, the rest of the manga won't be translated or die in popularity.[/quote]

I honestly didn't mind the idea behind the arc because the stuff with Panther and the Americans needed to get resolved. The execution has just been bad.
The whole arc has been a see-saw for me. I hated it at first thinking "why keep going when the Christmas Bowl was the whole objective" to "well Sena and Panther have a history so it won't be that bad" to "well...they screwed up Germany...yep, there's problems". At this point I just wonder what's going on anymore, the series just isn't what made me like it.
 

◆ T.D.A ◆

Banned
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Oct 16, 2007
Messages
7,516
Reaction score
6,348
Gender
Hidden
Country
North Korea
I'm not uptodate with Psyren but from what I've read so far, it has or should have a good future.
 

GARusashi

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Aug 21, 2007
Messages
208
Reaction score
5
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I think the worst part is the likable main cast of E21 has been replaced by Yamato and Gaou. The Devil Bats were much more enjoyable then the current main cast. Hell, Hiruma hasn't done anything since the Christmas Bowl. And Kurita? Replaced by Gaou. Hiruma was replaced by Yamato. The original charm of the series was the Devil Bats, and now they're overshadowed by the better, yet more boring players.
 

fxu

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 24, 2007
Messages
847
Reaction score
1,103
Gender
Male
Country
Uruguay
Wow Meister ending just like that... ;_;

Another basketball manga about to start... yaaaaawn.
 

ZoddGuts

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Jul 14, 2007
Messages
67
Reaction score
20
Gender
Male
Country
United States
lol at meister even I thought it would have lasted a bit longer. Not sure what's up with people's problem of a new basketball series, shonen magazine has multiple baseball series and their quite good too. Who knows for people that don't like Kuroko may end up liking this other basketball series.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Jump doesn't seem to have enough sports fans to sustain two series about the same sport. Maybe I'll be proved wrong.
 

Bomber D Rufi

Translator
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 3, 2006
Messages
3,930
Reaction score
5,624
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
Dude with all of this talk about Gag series, has everyone forgotten the current King of Comedy? >_> Or is Gintama just not on anyone's radar but mine?

I read Neuro's raw (No thanks to MH) and yeah it's on it's final legs. I certainly hope that Matsui will be back....he's pretty talented.
 

Rejuvenation

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2009
Messages
952
Reaction score
103
Gender
Male
Country
United States
When D.gray-man returns I seriously hope that last innocent hunt gets wrapped up quickly. The last few chapters have seriously been hit or miss for me. I hated that arc with Krory infecting people and I hated this current one outside the battles. >.>

Also I don't see the appeal of Kuroko. Seems rather bland and I'm surprised it actually managed to get popular. I'm hoping this next basketball one is better than it if we must have one of the two in current Jump.

Dude with all of this talk about Gag series, has everyone forgotten the current King of Comedy? >_> Or is Gintama just not on anyone's radar but mine?
I couldn't stomach Gintama and literally forced myself through the first few chapters I read. I gave it a shot and pretty much hated what I saw.
 

SSJWill4

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Feb 1, 2009
Messages
132
Reaction score
38
Age
42
Gender
Male
Country
United States
What do those stand for?
Sket Dance, Nurarihyon no Mago, Eyeshield 21, Majin Tantei Nougami Neuro, To Love-Ru - Trouble, and Pyu to Fuku! Jaguar. These are the manga at the bottom of the Table of Contents for Weekly Shonen Jump Issue #12. Hope that helps.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Uzu

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Dude with all of this talk about Gag series, has everyone forgotten the current King of Comedy? >_> Or is Gintama just not on anyone's radar but mine?

I read Neuro's raw (No thanks to MH) and yeah it's on it's final legs. I certainly hope that Matsui will be back....he's pretty talented.
it's one of the kings of present day manga, but cause its a mix of seriousnessish and comedy now it loses the gag crown to funnier series like jaguar and yushagaku
 

Muddy

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Mar 9, 2008
Messages
225
Reaction score
6
Gender
Male
Country
United States
This just occurred to me, but if Jump is indeed as hungry for a new sports hit as it seems to be right now, why won't they give Hotta Yumi another chance? One that's some two or three years overdue, no less! If anyone could possibly land them a new success it'd be her.

[/wishful thinking]
 

Sexy Randal 105

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2007
Messages
1,052
Reaction score
37
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I don't know why some mangaka doesn't see this and decide to make a manga about an obscure sport to get serialized. I would read a pickleball manga.
 

StrangerAtaru

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2008
Messages
1,452
Reaction score
294
Gender
Male
Country
United States
About ignoring Gintama: what am I, chopped konbu? The series is always going to be one of the best gag series in Jump, but it's more serious arcs and it's dialogue-based style isn't going to attract too many people on the page.

As for why "known sports" always get series: it's because it's something that Japanese people can relate to I guess. It really is hard for some sport they don't know of or is just barely on the radar to get a good enough series...obviously Jump has done it's share in getting sports on the radar screen (soccer: Tsubasa, basketball: Slam Dunk, football: ES21), but there are some series that just don't have a good enough writer or just don't attract the people to read more about them. (well that and Magazine seems to have the better sports series...though most are well known like soccer and baseball, they still have "Smash!" for their weird sport in badminton)
 

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
I don't know why some mangaka doesn't see this and decide to make a manga about an obscure sport to get serialized. I would read a pickleball manga.
HAND'S

remember that?

on another note, i think it's acceptable for jump to have few (1 or 2) sports series running at once, leave that the other anthologies, and focus on it's high notes; action, supernatural and gag
 

Akainu

Magma♥
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
May 21, 2007
Messages
7,318
Reaction score
3,462
Gender
Male
Country
Bavaria
dunno if that belongs here, but since it's sports manga you are talking about right now: has there ever - or better already - been a manga featuring Parkour ? I'd imagine that as a good combination between sports and action though it might be more of a 'french thing'.

Also two sports manga is o.k., I think even three would be, but why on earth two about the same sport? is basketball so popular in Japan? or just with boys of a certain age <.<
 

Tensai_Sakuragi

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Nov 29, 2008
Messages
68
Reaction score
10
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
dunno if that belongs here, but since it's sports manga you are talking about right now: has there ever - or better already - been a manga featuring Parkour ? I'd imagine that as a good combination between sports and action though it might be more of a 'french thing'.

Also two sports manga is o.k., I think even three would be, but why on earth two about the same sport? is basketball so popular in Japan? or just with boys of a certain age <.<
A parkour manga would be awesome.
If better focus more on the sport itself than on fights, though, or it´d be deemed an "Air Gear wannabe". :p

And although basketball is far from being as popular as baseball or soccer in Japan, japanese people do seem to love reading about it. There are TONS of basketball manga out there.

As for the discussion at hand, what can I say?
I love sports manga. So if Jump wants a new hit of this genre, bring it on. :amuse

PS: (Yep. Magazine >>> Jump when it comes to sports series)
 

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
a sport that could do with representation in jump again would have to be baseball. i mean... c'mon has there been a baseball series in there since overtime in 06?

wait i should know this has my mind blanked?
 

Sexy Randal 105

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2007
Messages
1,052
Reaction score
37
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
United States
HAND'S

remember that?

on another note, i think it's acceptable for jump to have few (1 or 2) sports series running at once, leave that the other anthologies, and focus on it's high notes; action, supernatural and gag
That's different. Who the fuck cares about handball? As for parkour...it's probably turn out like Mirrors edge...which was poopy...
 

Galactic Tomahawk

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 24, 2008
Messages
797
Reaction score
132
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
"Who the fuck cares about that obscure sport" kind of defeats the purpose of "I'd like to see a manga about an obscure sport" doesn't it.

Though at risk of being slightly contradictory, I'd probably want another baseball one of the most. Most of the sports manga that I've actually enjoyed were about it.

I'd be all for an obscure one too though, long as it was handled better than the likes of HAND'S.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top