Mag Talk Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

fxu

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 24, 2007
Messages
847
Reaction score
1,103
Gender
Male
Country
Uruguay

SSJWill4

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Feb 1, 2009
Messages
132
Reaction score
38
Age
42
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Son of a b-....

Psyren only got 2 colors in 2008.

The third color was in 2009.
It got 3. In chapters 1, 8, and 17.
 

fxu

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 24, 2007
Messages
847
Reaction score
1,103
Gender
Male
Country
Uruguay
d'oh >.<

And I consider myself a fanboy? What a disgrace I am!!
 

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
man bleach got pimped too much

and i look at inudash as the replacement for the pretty popular yoyo machine yushagaku, which wasn't placed, so as long as inudash doesn't show the signs it's all groovy
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
hmm.... I vaguely remember Yusha getting pimped hard. Something about suddenly jumping high in the top ten, getting lots of color pages, two chapters an issue (on several occasions), followed by cancellation in July.
 

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
it lasted a whole year and was pretty popular, though it spent a fair amount of time near the bottom too. the tank sales however didn't exactly light the world on fire, leading to it's sad death.

weirdest thing abotu the series was it beign impacting enough to appear on the jump 40th poster
 

StrangerAtaru

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2008
Messages
1,452
Reaction score
294
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Yushagaku probably had more support in the magazine than the volumes. Considering it ended rather respectably, I say Shueisha considered it a success.

And...yeah, I sort of already knew Bleach was overpimped last year.
 

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
well it wasthe topic of last year for all of us over at the LJ comm, and if i recall no end of frustration for ya
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
This months Jump manga sales:

1. Naruto 45: 710,879 copies

2. Bleach 37: 607,616

3. Reborn 23: 358,362

4. Gintama 27: 306,488

6. Toriko 3: 116,789

8. Jaguar 16: 88,069

13. Kochikame 163: 61,297

15. Neuro 20: 55,315

18. Shaman King Deluxe 24: 39,544

20. Shaman King Deluxe 23: 35,546

Despite being dreaded "minor characters fighting" Bleach 37 sells a little better then volume 36 (the gaiden). Reborn and Gintama also sold better then there last volumes. Toriko crosses the 100,000 mark, essentially solidifying it as a hit. At three volumes a piece Toriko and Mago are now almost even in sales. Consider both hits, though Bakuman is the best seller of all the new series. This is all first week sales from Oricon.
 
Last edited:

DeidaraGrimmjow

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 1, 2008
Messages
792
Reaction score
101
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Yushagaku probably had more support in the magazine than the volumes. Considering it ended rather respectably, I say Shueisha considered it a success.

And...yeah, I sort of already knew Bleach was overpimped last year.

Spreading the color page love is great but are you guys sure you are not just saying that because you don't like Bleach?
 

StrangerAtaru

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2008
Messages
1,452
Reaction score
294
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Spreading the color page love is great but are you guys sure you are not just saying that because you don't like Bleach?
Aside from what I feel about Bleach, I say that because the Jump editors just showed too much love with all the covers and color pages it got through 2008. Instead of giving one cover to a Sket Dance (which survived a year and beyond...heck, it would have been neat for some of the others like Samurai Usagi or Yushagaku to have a year cover even if they didn't last beyond it) or To-Love (which got an anime that year), just one...they just give too many to series such as this.
 

sir_arles

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Apr 29, 2008
Messages
481
Reaction score
271
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
Argentina
Cover of WSJ #11



I hope someone can scan the HQ version because I really love this cover ^^


See ya!
 

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Spreading the color page love is great but are you guys sure you are not just saying that because you don't like Bleach?

i DO like bleach. I just hate what it is now, and the massive amount of colour pages and covers last year was unneccesary when the smaller series need some promotion, something jump just doesn't give a shit about, alongside the fanboys
 

Akainu

Magma♥
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
May 21, 2007
Messages
7,318
Reaction score
3,462
Gender
Male
Country
Bavaria
don't get me wrong, but I think Bleach needed the promotion itself. otherwise it wouldn't still be "up there". but that's just my opinion;
 

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
it gets by on tank sales. heck it could be like love trouble and it'd be fine. and nothing needs the quantity of promotion that damn manga got over 08. it was excessive and needlessly shunted series that needed the promotion that little bit more, like yushagaku or usagi, two series who did okay in the TOC but really needed that extra push to keep going.

on the plus side yushagaku is remembered as successfulish and usagi got it's akamaru jump colour spread and stuff and story about the main dudes kid
 

Digital_Eon

Proofreader
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 15, 2007
Messages
1,140
Reaction score
70
Age
36
Gender
Female
Country
Canada
don't get me wrong, but I think Bleach needed the promotion itself. otherwise it wouldn't still be "up there". but that's just my opinion;
And Bleach deserves the promotion of three or four other series? If it's going to fail without seven covers, then it should fail.
 

GARusashi

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Aug 21, 2007
Messages
208
Reaction score
5
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
United States
It's been an entire year of Bleach and the only thing that's happened is the defeat of minor Fraccions. And a flashback arc that didn't really do as much as it could've. Bleach should be knocking at deaths door by now. Knowing Kubo, Ulquiorra vs Ichigo will just be Grimmjow vs Ichigo all over again.

I think once Kubo started getting the recognition, he got lazy. I mean, based off of Bakuman, does the guy even have assistants? I mean how hard is it to draw panel upon panel of white and black space?
 

Akainu

Magma♥
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
May 21, 2007
Messages
7,318
Reaction score
3,462
Gender
Male
Country
Bavaria
And Bleach deserves the promotion of three or four other series? If it's going to fail without seven covers, then it should fail.
that's exactly what I didn't want to write ~ no Bleach doesn't deserve all the promotion, especially if it would still live on with a few less covers/ meaningless colourpages contrary to series that die like Noodles described.

on the same note I don't think it's necessary to push newcomers like Kuroko while the older series don't even get some love for their anniversary, but I guess that's what jump is :oh
 

DeidaraGrimmjow

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 1, 2008
Messages
792
Reaction score
101
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Yeah, you guys are absolutely right. I (believe it or not) have been feeling recently that Blech Naruto and One Piece have been getting way too many covers lately. I used to think the Japanese Shonen Jump was good at giving other series covers, unlike the American one (Naruto is like on 75% of the covers). But maybe they want to promote the series that make the magazine great as popular as it is. I would love more Psyren covers, but would as many people buy the magazine?

ps. We all know that Bleach will not end before Tite Kubo wants it to. With that said I would love other series to get the spotlight. Bleach has nothing to fear from sharing the glory. :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top