Mag Talk Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
wow, gar, analytical off the bat.. to me this looks mroe like a cross between obata and naoshi in that one little image, and thanks to the lack of cross eyed people i'm kinda enthused (though kuroko's good for the action not the art)
 

GARusashi

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Aug 21, 2007
Messages
208
Reaction score
5
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I always thought KnB's art really resembled Naoshi's with more generic character designs. I could see the Obata in Hoop Men though. I would love to see Oda or Shimabakuro's take on a sports manga, I could imagine the wacky designs now.

I'm just a little peeved about another Basketball manga.. Beezle Baby starts the week after Hoop Men, right?
 
Last edited:

Galactic Tomahawk

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 24, 2008
Messages
797
Reaction score
132
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Well it looks different from Kuroko at least. Reminds me of Obata before he got cripplingly boring.
 
Last edited:

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
beelzebabu starts the week BEFORE

and obata's bakuman art is probably his magnum opus of art, just from how lively kinetic, and most of all INTERESTING it is. death note and HnG kinda dropped the ball on that
 

Galactic Tomahawk

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 24, 2008
Messages
797
Reaction score
132
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Bakuman's a little more enjoyable artwise than his last few attempts, but I still liked his older stuff (Cyborg Grandpa G, Ayatsuri Sakon) far better.
 

eni

MH's Socialworker ٩( ᐛ )و ♡
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jul 21, 2006
Messages
14,313
Reaction score
1,730
Gender
Female
Country
Germany
I don't find his current art better, more the opposite. To me it has gotten less enjoyable to read compared to his older works. But I said that often enough now, it gets boring >.>
 

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
well i can certainly agree that cyborg grandpa G has some amazing art, but bakuman's is just.... well i don't know if it's because its more expressive (something i crave in comics with ANY sense of humour) but it's right up my alley
 

Crude

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 16, 2007
Messages
2,698
Reaction score
693
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
I agree with Noodles. Bakuman's art looks a lot more expressive than Death Note's, though I think the way Obata handles page layouts and panels has gotten a little worse. In my opinion the best way the make your art feel more expressive (talking about manga mostly) is the way in which the artist draws eyes. Detailed eyes, especially ones that include a glimmer, seem to help the art a lot. If Kishi were to use that detail in his characters eyes, they'd look a lot more expressive as in his coloured works. Compare both Bakuman and Death Note's art and you'll find that the former seems more alive.
 

DeidaraGrimmjow

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 1, 2008
Messages
792
Reaction score
101
Gender
Male
Country
United States
In speaking of Bakuman, I don't we'll see it this week. It's freaking me out.
 

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
death note contained pretty awful static lifeless art by obata standards, and the eyes just felt lifeless.. it disconcerted me

and i'm with ya on that DG i need my fix!

on a jumpland note bokke-san is now it's online series with bakuman finally on it's way out
 

Galactic Tomahawk

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 24, 2008
Messages
797
Reaction score
132
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Not all that familiar with Jumpland, would that be considered a good or bad thing? (or does it even have any relevance at all?)

Bakuman's art still seems pretty lifeless to me, he's clearly making more of an effort than he did with Death Note and Blue Dragon but his current style just gets incredibly boring after a while.
 

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
jumplands a pretty snazzy official jump site, check it out www.jumpland.com

it's nice that shueisha are reaching out across the board, involving people with new series in japan (we got bakuman, the first chapters of kuroko and meister, and bokke-san up to chapter 5 so far amongst other tidbits like those bobobo and death note crossovers) and it has the anime specials from the jump tour. good all in all
 

Galactic Tomahawk

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 24, 2008
Messages
797
Reaction score
132
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Figured out how to get the english ones working.

Seems like an interesting idea, could use some work qualitywise but it'll be nice if we get another Samurai Usagi that doesn't get any fan translation for millions of years.
 

Koen

Celestial Belgian
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2006
Messages
13,821
Reaction score
3,547
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
Am I the only one who doesn't get ecstatic about hoop man's (or was it men) art

That art looks so old. That mangaka got stuck in the years of city hunter

Well a small pic doesn't say everything but this seems a cushion (read: axe) for the near future
 

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
well i'm also a nostalgic manga fan so i see some more appeal in it than anything...

and with no idea about it all i can say is if the art turns out as good as it's seemed in that single ad then it'll be a nice different take on basketball and should fit alongside kuroko no problem.

but like i said it's pointless to analyse one tiny ad
 

StrangerAtaru

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2008
Messages
1,452
Reaction score
294
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Bit surprised Bokke is picking up Bakuman's mantle on Jumpland but I think that both sides of the Pacific are really behind Nishi even if he doesn't get the hype of a bunch of other mangaka. They'll probably have the first chapters of Beezle Baby and Hoop Men when they start but that probably will be it until something else comes along for Bokke to pass it on to.

As for Bleach, some have said that the inference of the title is both on the "bleaching of souls" or as a reference to Nirvana's first album. (considering a lot of the early part of the series did have a more musical influence in his head) But still, hearing the title "Bleach" does not give me the image of Japanese death gods fighting massive monsters with massive swords and masks that turn them into monsters too. It gives me the image of...detergent.
 

DeidaraGrimmjow

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 1, 2008
Messages
792
Reaction score
101
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I'm hoping that this Hoop Men manga is good. I like Kuroko but I am always looking for improvement. But like most of everyone else here (I'm assuming) I feel that two basketball manga at the same time is...stupid. As for the art, I don't like the main character but the guy in the back looks tight.

And for Bleach, the fact that the name does not give you the impression about what the manga entails is the beauty of it. Instead of calling it "Spirit Hunter" or something, it just makes you think: "that's random but makes sense" (provided you get the analogy).
 

Sexy Randal 105

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2007
Messages
1,052
Reaction score
37
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I am so disappointed with the new series this year! What the hell happened? Last year we got great series like Bakuman, Toriko, Mago and Psyren. This years what do we have? We got two terribly generic sports series trying to fill the hole Eyeshield is digging and Nishi trying to search for a plot to occupy his barely interesting lead character. Now we have ANOTHER basketball series (I will eat my hat if both of them survive. Such a stupid decision by Jump). We also get a lame gag manga about a satan baby. The only way that Beezle Baby will be redeemed in my eyes is if it turns out to be a battle manga. That would actually be pretty cool. If it's just gag then that's lame.

I guess Jump is just filling up space by serializing crap, because their system of new series that basically relies on cancellation will falter if there are any new popular series. This really shows the flaws in the way Jump is set up. If every series in Jump did well in the polls, there would be no way of new series to begin in the magazine. It's been so long since we had so many hits (Probably 2005). I mean we have Sket Dance from 2007 and Toriko, Bakuman, Psyren and Mago from 2008. All are doing very well (Except for Mago's recent slump but tank sales are sure to even that out). Is Jump publishing crap on purpose?
 
Last edited:

DeidaraGrimmjow

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 1, 2008
Messages
792
Reaction score
101
Gender
Male
Country
United States
The only way that Beezle Baby will be redeemed in my eyes is if it turns out to be a battle manga. That would actually be pretty cool. If it's just gag then that's lame.?

I could not agree more on that. I'm sure others will articulate my opinions on the points you raised better than I can, so I will just leave it at that for now.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
I only disagree on the grounds that I really like Bokke. The first two chapters were dull but it gets much more interesting after that. By Jump standards it's quite a unique series. Meister was and Kuroko remains, fun reads. Nothing more, nothing less. I'll keep reading Kuroko but if canceled I won't miss it much.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top