Mag Talk Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Galactic Tomahawk

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 24, 2008
Messages
797
Reaction score
132
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
I am not current with Reborn so I can't really say but I'm hearing a lot of Pokemon references (none of them positive). Is that such a big deal? Isn't Pokemon where it started for most of us anyway? Definitely so in my case. Why is it so bad that Reborn has some current Pokemon similarities?
It's not necessarily a bad idea, animal familiars aren't a new concept and it could have provided an interesting twist on the character's powers if it was handled carefully. (Albeit them popping out of magical compact boxes is pretty suspect)

But the problem is that very few of them have remotely inspired designs or abilities, and they pretty much completely overshadowed several of the characters' fighting styles.

It was at it's worst during the recent varia fight, Squalo and Belphegor barely used their (far more interesting) fighting styles over shooting their box animal at people over and over again, while Lussuria completely dropped martial arts for healing just because that's what his box weapon does. Even their main enemies had little to no ability outside of their animal's gimmick.
 
Last edited:

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
didn't gokudera used to use dynamite a lot? XD

anyway i think we'll be punished by the blue names if we obsess too much over the actual series, so let's get back to weekly shonen jump perhaps in it's entirety... or something


author comments this week.... i'd like them to say that all the series i see performing poorly being ones that were just late in
 

Galactic Tomahawk

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 24, 2008
Messages
797
Reaction score
132
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Indeed, that's probably more than enough on Reborn.

Kinda glad to see Neuro so high (even if it doesn't count), but otherwise this ToC was pretty terrible.

Jump fandom we need to talk.
 

Koen

Celestial Belgian
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2006
Messages
13,821
Reaction score
3,547
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
I think the problem with the future arc (Or at least as far as i got in it) was how slow the pace was compared to the other two arcs.
The best reborn analysis that's been made. A very good a priori setting with a bad a posteriori result. You feel like you ended up in the slowest pace ever

Anyway as said, let's talk about something else

anyone who already knows what genre will be served to us with the new serie?
 

DeidaraGrimmjow

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 1, 2008
Messages
792
Reaction score
101
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Because my luck sucks, I bet the Beezle Baby will be an episodic gag with like 1% serious action or something.


Both series' have rather impressive laurels to rest on, not to mention established fanbases who seem to care more for cool bursts of energy and mindless action than they do for a coherent and entertaining story.

Not taking a stand either way, but I that really such a big deal? I mean I personally think you can/should have both, but there are other manga people can read if they are looking to be mentally stimulated. I mean, we all know the overall demographic. You either like it or you don't. I find it surprising that people still cannot accept these manga for what they are and what they are trying to accomplish.

ps. Not trying to sound like a jerk, sorry if I do.
 
Last edited:

Rejuvenation

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2009
Messages
952
Reaction score
103
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Problem with that though is that certain series didn't start off as that. They have the potential to be more. Degradation of any series spanning over a long time period will no doubt frustrate anyone who isn't so blinded by the love of their series they can't see the flaws in it.

Anyway, I'm hoping that the next ToC gives me what I want to see. One Piece, Toriko, and Bakuman at 1,3, and 4. Along with Psyren in the middle tier.

Also it should be interesting to see where D.Gray-man ends up being ranked. I suspect it may get a high ranking since its been gone for so long.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Also it should be interesting to see where D.Gray-man ends up being ranked. I suspect it may get a high ranking since its been gone for so long.
I think it will be unranked for eight weeks as there hasn't been anything to vote for since November.
 

Rejuvenation

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2009
Messages
952
Reaction score
103
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I think it will be unranked for eight weeks as there hasn't been anything to vote for since November.
I meant after it could finally have its first few rankings. XD

Hopefully Hoshino doesn't give 15 pages per chapter again. .___.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
I meant after it could finally have its first few rankings. XD

Hopefully Hoshino doesn't give 15 pages per chapter again. .___.
I expect little to nothing from DGM once it's ranked again. Middle of the magazine will be fine with me. I'm at the point where I'll take what I can get from Hoshino - sensei. 15 pages would be fine as long as the art's good and she makes it at least a year without another long hiatus. While I liked the plot of the pre - hiatus arc the art was rough. Really rough by DGM standards. Obviously I can understand why, in retrospect.
 

Koen

Celestial Belgian
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2006
Messages
13,821
Reaction score
3,547
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
I think it will be unranked for eight weeks as there hasn't been anything to vote for since November.
I thought it was 8 issues but a week with no magazine after it, makes it the same. Then again there's less chapters when the rating starts when you're somewhere with double issues
 

StrangerAtaru

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2008
Messages
1,452
Reaction score
294
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Problem with that though is that certain series didn't start off as that. They have the potential to be more. Degradation of any series spanning over a long time period will no doubt frustrate anyone who isn't so blinded by the love of their series they can't see the flaws in it.

Anyway, I'm hoping that the next ToC gives me what I want to see. One Piece, Toriko, and Bakuman at 1,3, and 4. Along with Psyren in the middle tier.

Also it should be interesting to see where D.Gray-man ends up being ranked. I suspect it may get a high ranking since its been gone for so long.
Well you will have to wait two weeks for that ranking: OP is on hiatus next week. Oda said so at the end of the latest chapter.
 

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
well then my top 5 predictions are

Naruto
Toriko
Gintama
Bakuman
Bleach

i like predicting
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,183
Reaction score
30,232
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
I'm all caught up on Psyren now, and gee...it drastically improved over where I left off (ch 21). Glad to see it isn't doing too bad.
 

Koen

Celestial Belgian
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2006
Messages
13,821
Reaction score
3,547
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
I'm all caught up on Psyren now, and gee...it drastically improved over where I left off (ch 21). Glad to see it isn't doing too bad.
Aha a good reason to bring some input in our section. I remember you gave it storyw.i.s.e. more chances/credits than mieru hito. Imo it deserves to be in jump for a while. This leads me to an unanwsered question you might answer: how many chaps did mieru hito have in total? I remember it had its char poll and the chapter after the poll it was cancelled
 

Muddy

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Mar 9, 2008
Messages
225
Reaction score
6
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Mieru Hito ended with chapter 57, I believe.
 

Sexy Randal 105

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2007
Messages
1,052
Reaction score
37
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I'm all caught up on Psyren now, and gee...it drastically improved over where I left off (ch 21). Glad to see it isn't doing too bad.
I think Psyren just had to establish a few things before it could get to the real meat of the story. But even for a shonen start, it didn't do too bad. At least they didn't have it so every time they go to Psyren they beat a monster every chapter. That's the pattern most series start out with. Take Muhyo, Neuro, Bleach, etc.
 

Googlez_kun

MH's Best Artist
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Joined
Oct 22, 2008
Messages
9,744
Reaction score
8,510
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Where can i read this new manga Beezle Baby??
it looks very interesting :amuse
 

DeidaraGrimmjow

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 1, 2008
Messages
792
Reaction score
101
Gender
Male
Country
United States
well then my top 5 predictions are

Naruto
Toriko
Gintama
Bakuman
Bleach

i like predicting

I that a serious one? Because I don't see Bakuman or Gintama beating Bleach.

And if were lucky, there might be raws by this time next week. It just depends on when someone wants to do it.
 
Last edited:

SSJWill4

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Feb 1, 2009
Messages
132
Reaction score
38
Age
42
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I that a serious one? Because I don't see Bakuman or Gintama beating Bleach.

And if were lucky, there might be raws by this time next week. It just depends on when someone wants to do it.
The last time Bakuman beat Bleach was in Issue 10, and Gintama just beat Bleach this Issue, so I don't see what you mean...it seems very feasible to me.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top