Mag Talk Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
beelzebub has a sizable space on the preview page? how peculiar.
 

kewl0210

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 27, 2006
Messages
1,390
Reaction score
1,902
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Translate... hm...
It doesn't say much just like "what's gonna happen!" sorta things. It says Inumari dashi and Toriko have the center colors and the rest are just regular ads.

I have a few issues of Jump onhand, generally the ones listed there do really well in the TOC. The ones that aren't color pages, I mean. So Bakuman, OP, Psyren and Kuroko.
Not NECESSARILY comprising the top 5, but amoung them.
I'm checking these and all of them were in the top 7~ or else had a color page or something. Neuro a couple issues ago had like a super-long chapter, 16 I think. But they don't necessarily list all of em. Like Reborn was in the last few top 5s and wasn't in the previews except when it had color pages.
 
Last edited:

◆ T.D.A ◆

Banned
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Oct 16, 2007
Messages
7,516
Reaction score
6,348
Gender
Hidden
Country
North Korea
There's some mention of a mini-databook for Naruto or something, or is that not true?
 

kewl0210

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 27, 2006
Messages
1,390
Reaction score
1,902
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Yeah, i can't figure out what that is... lemme see...
"File Supplement"
"Book in Book"
Naruto 10th Chronicle
読めばNARUTO 10年の歴使が丸分かり
I can't really tell what it means, I dunno.
It's a 36 page mini-book of some sort.
 

SSJWill4

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Feb 1, 2009
Messages
132
Reaction score
38
Age
42
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Well, the newest To Love chapter was another pointless one. There was not even the slightest hint of a final arc as the last chapter kind of alluded to. Plus, chapter 15 of Bokke is to...start a new arc? Doesn't look like it's rushing to an ending after all...I wonder even more now what the next cuts will be. Maybe just Neuro and Hoopmen?
 

StrangerAtaru

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2008
Messages
1,452
Reaction score
294
Gender
Male
Country
United States
To-Love I think is just To-Love. It just will probably make up an ending at the drop of a hat if it needs to. Sad, really, considering the first year's potential.

Somehow or another I sort of wished at this point Jump took some pointers from Mag and Sunday and let series have a bit of time before chopping them off. That way we would at least know and give it time before just wasting them without any real idea when the rushed ending is going to come. (if not never if it finally catches on)
 

Rejuvenation

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2009
Messages
952
Reaction score
103
Gender
Male
Country
United States
If Jump did take a number from their book it would at least allow series to shape up better. However, it also means that there would be less new series appearing and if a series is shit it lives longer. XD

Hm, maybe if they allowed 20 chapters instead of around 10 it could work better.
 

eni

MH's Socialworker ٩( ᐛ )و ♡
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jul 21, 2006
Messages
14,313
Reaction score
1,730
Gender
Female
Country
Germany
I have no problem with series getting kicked out off the magazine. My complain is that those series always will be discontinued by default although their volume sales are fairly good. Why not allowing the mangaka to continue via volume releases?

Yes, the Japanese comic market is focusing on this magazine schema but I can't understand why they can't allow at least continuations for the sake of a more suitable story end. It's not only for the mangaka but also as a responsibility towards the fans who bought the volumes from the very start. No wonder when newcomer sell badly at the beginning or who wants to start collecting something that has a high chance of getting abandoned? I'm not willing to take the risk of having a not even half finished series in my shelf. Wasted time and money, IMHO.

They don't need to let mag canceled series run for 40 volumes but when the first volumes sales where on an acceptable level, they could at the very least give the mangaka 2-3 volumes outside of the magazine to prepare a non-rushed ending as a fallback.
 

DeidaraGrimmjow

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 1, 2008
Messages
792
Reaction score
101
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I feel that any ending is rushed if the manga ends before the mangaka wanted it to. I would assume most serialized manga aren't intended to last 5 volumes, so to me, it is impossible to make an ending not feel rushed, even if they are given some extra volumes. I guess there can be some exceptions like Shaman King or something...
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
I like what Sunday did with Hyde and Closer and Golden Age; rather then cancel them they were moved online where they continue every other week. Jump lags far behind in webcomics for now. Sunday and Gangan have launched full, online magazines. It would have been a good way to save series like Double Arts or Mx0, series that weren't completely rejected but were never entirely accepted by Jump's readers.
 

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
in all fairness SQ does that too, it's only WSJ that doesn't seem to know the most obvious ideas
 

Rejuvenation

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2009
Messages
952
Reaction score
103
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I have no problem with series getting kicked out off the magazine. My complain is that those series always will be discontinued by default although their volume sales are fairly good. Why not allowing the mangaka to continue via volume releases?

Yes, the Japanese comic market is focusing on this magazine schema but I can't understand why they can't allow at least continuations for the sake of a more suitable story end. It's not only for the mangaka but also as a responsibility towards the fans who bought the volumes from the very start. No wonder when newcomer sell badly at the beginning or who wants to start collecting something that has a high chance of getting abandoned? I'm not willing to take the risk of having a not even half finished series in my shelf. Wasted time and money, IMHO.

They don't need to let mag canceled series run for 40 volumes but when the first volumes sales where on an acceptable level, they could at the very least give the mangaka 2-3 volumes outside of the magazine to prepare a non-rushed ending as a fallback.
You know I actually like this idea. Honestly, what is the harm in letting someone continue exclusively in volumes so they can wrap up their story?

Double Arts is a good example since its volumes sold a lot anyway.
 

Imitorar

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 15, 2006
Messages
1,990
Reaction score
270
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Actually, letting cancelled series finish as volumes probably wouldn't be a good idea, because it's rather rare for a series to be so unpopular in the magazine from the beginning and still have tankobon sales high enough to make printing two more volumes worth it. Double Arts is a notable exception, and I wouldn't be surprised if Shueisha has come to regret cancelling it a bit, but do you think that Asklepios's volumes sold well? What about Hitomi no Catoblepas, or Muddy? They did badly in the magazine and badly as tankobon. Why waste money printing more things that won't sell well when you could just start a new series that people might actually like? Although an online finish would be good for things like Mx0 or Double Arts, which had relatively decent tankobon sales, but again, such cases are rare.

What I wonder about are series' like D. Gray-man and Death Note, which don't do spectacularly well in the magazine, but have very good tankobon sales. How did they manage to survive until they were established without getting the same treatment that Double Arts got? I suppose it could be that Jump was more forgiving then, but I wonder if there's some baseline amount of volumes a series needs to sell the first time for the editors to decide that it's worth keeping around longer.
 
Last edited:

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
I forgot about SQ. Is Kurohime still published online?
at current SQ is publishing:

Kurohime
that female soccer series
Tales of Innocence
and special chapters of loadsa other junk.
 

DeidaraGrimmjow

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 1, 2008
Messages
792
Reaction score
101
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Don't forget Pat-Ken. And I actually think that Tales of Innocence completed with 3 volumes.
 

Mr. Prince

MH's Best Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 28, 2006
Messages
1,121
Reaction score
2,259
Gender
Male
Country
Japan
Bottom for #19 and preview for #20 was posted...

小ネタ
・19ドベ5 とら、21、灰、ぼっけ、ぬらり
・20巻頭鰤 CPSY、べるぜ

・フープに黄信号かも?
Bottom:
Mago
Bokke-san
D. Gray-man
Eyeshield 21
ToLove
Jaguar

#20:
Cover for Bleach
CP for Psyren and Beelzebub

He also mentions something about Hoopmen I think something like...
"Maybe yellow traffic light for Hoop?"
Which means he could see Hoop struggling/dying in near future, I guess.

--

Anyway, CP for Psyren is sweet. Beelze as well. Hoop comment makes me already starting to get prepared the worst... : (
 
Last edited:

Rejuvenation

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2009
Messages
952
Reaction score
103
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Bottom for #19 and preview for #20 was posted...



Bottom:
Mago
Bokke-san
D. Gray-man
Eyeshield 21
ToLove
Jaguar

#20:
Cover for Bleach
CP for Psyren and Beelzebub
I want Mago and Bokke-san to get higher. x[

ES21 is fine until it ends and I've lost track whether this is a proper ranking for DGM or not.

To Love seems to have planted itself firmly in the basement again it seems.

Damn another Bleach cover. :notrust

He also mentions something about Hoopmen I think something like...
"Maybe yellow traffic light for Hoop?"
Which means he could see Hoop struggling/dying in near future, I guess.
Fuck yes! Save my other series Hoop Men! Do not let me down. :darn

Anyway, CP for Psyren is sweet. Beelze as well. Hoop comment makes me already starting to get prepared the worst... : (
Also agreed. I'm really loving these two series now. :amuse

I wonder if this color page could possibly be for the popularity poll though.
 

[Cross]

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 21, 2008
Messages
717
Reaction score
320
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Wow, first Sket Dance gets a CP, and now Psyren, things are looking up. Bokke seems to enjoy it's place in the bottom.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top