Mag Talk Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

SSJWill4

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Feb 1, 2009
Messages
132
Reaction score
38
Age
42
Gender
Male
Country
United States
SO basically I checked some previous ToCs with last year's (end) cancels and this year's cancels + series that came in place this year

End of 2007: was ended/cancelled
HxH (hiatus), Chagecha (cut #49) and Bari Haken (cut #52)
Replacements: Meister, Kuroko and Bokke

2008: was ended/cancelled:
- Round 1: Asklepios (cut #11) and Meister (cut #12)
Replacements: Beelzebub (#13) and Hoop men (#14)
- Round 2: Neuro (end #21?)
Free spot: one?
Thought I'd add onto this since I actually did my own list a while ago in anticipation for the end of the year cuts, so my list conveniently ends when yours begins. :P

51 end (Belmonde)
52 end (P2)
1 new (Psyren)
2 new (KOSen)
3 new (Muddy)
4/5 new (Poseidon)
14 2 end (Prince of Tennis and Muhyo to Roji), return (HxH)
15 end (KOSen), new (Mago)
16 end (Muddy), new (Bari Haken)
17 new (Double Arts)
24 end (Poseidon), break (HxH)
25 end (Mx0), new (Toriko)
26 end (Hatsukoi)
27 new (Dogashi Kaden)
33 end (Samurai Usagi)
35 end (Yushagaku)
37/38 new (Bakuman)
39 new (Inumaru)
40 end (Dogashi Kaden)
41 end (Double Arts)
42 new (Chagecha)
43 new (Asklepios)
45 return (HxH)
49 end (Chagecha)
50 break (D. Grey)
52 end (Bari Haken)
1 new (Meister)
2 break (HxH), new (Kuroko no Basket)
3 new (Bokke-san)
11 end (Asklepios)
12 end (Meister)
13 new (Beezlebub)
14 new (Hoopmen)
15 return (D. Grey)
21 end (Neuro)
 
Last edited:

Koen

Celestial Belgian
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2006
Messages
13,821
Reaction score
3,547
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
@SSJWill4: if you could add all series and complete the whole list. That would give a nice overview

I guess either yasuhiro kano or komi naoshi will get a comeback sooner or later. Maybe they'll give a new mangaka a chance since asklepios' mangaka (failed for a second time) and bokke san's mangaka are somehow comeback mangaka. So my guess: new mangaka and then Komi Naoshi and/or Yasuhiro Kano
 
Last edited:

KuwabaraTheMan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 30, 2005
Messages
897
Reaction score
46
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I liked Mx0, so I'd be open for Kano returning. I'd really like to see Yumi Hotta return, though. Hikaru no Go was such a great series, and her style of storytelling is something that could really spark a new hit to life.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
I'd like to see the author of Trigger Keeper serialized. It was never translated but looked really good. I don't believe he/she has ever been serialized either.
 

Koen

Celestial Belgian
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2006
Messages
13,821
Reaction score
3,547
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
I liked Mx0, so I'd be open for Kano returning.
If it is something as good as mx0 then yeah. I would sign for an unexpected continuation (but unlikely to happen). I didn't like pretty face on the other hand. So if he comes back then I hope it'll be refreshing as his previous manga
 

Galactic Tomahawk

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 24, 2008
Messages
797
Reaction score
132
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Trigger Keeper looked pretty cool. Wouldn't mind seeing it as a series.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Trigger Keeper looked pretty cool. Wouldn't mind seeing it as a series.
Based on not understanding a word said, it did look good :) It looked like the type of one shot that could be easily transitioned to a long series. Even if it's something other than Trigger Keeper, he's a mangaka I'd like to see serialized.
 

predsfan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2008
Messages
843
Reaction score
121
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I'm severely disappointed by Hoop Men's position. It is by far my favorite sports series out of all the recent ones to appear in jump. Gaahhhhh, why can't Kuroko be the one going down in flames, or any number of the 6 or 7 series I don't read in jump.
 

KuwabaraTheMan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 30, 2005
Messages
897
Reaction score
46
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
United States
It can't be Kuroko because that's one of the best new Jump series in years. It could become the next big sports series.
 

Sexy Randal 105

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2007
Messages
1,052
Reaction score
37
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Ehh...I really don't like Kuroko, but it doesn't seem out of place. With Neuro ending, and the first half of Eyeshield's last game over, it's good to see some spaces opening up. I bet hoop men will end and Bokkesan will get the boot during the next round of cancellations.
 

Onomatopoeia

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 26, 2008
Messages
2,116
Reaction score
308
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Man, Neuro's ending...that makes me a bit sad since it was probably among the top 10 of my favorite mangas of all time. I just don't understand why it wasn't more popular, maybe its because of the riduculously long legged people in their(no seriously, fucken massive legs), either that or because it did stray away from mystery near the end. It always bothered me that Neuro was so underappreciated, ah well.

Bah, HAL arc was definitely one of the most amazing things I've read in a long while, got me all teary eyed. And Yako, Suzaki, and Neuro were all awesome characters, as were all the villains who made funny faces when they were caught.

I got to say this is one of the few mangas that I really and truly don't think I'll be able to find a replacement for and I doubt Jump we'll get a better replacement(yeah yeah call me biased). But still great quality manga that I'd recommend to anyone.

Just out of curiousity how popular was Neuro in its heyday because otherwise I doubt it would have gotten 200 chapters...

With this I'm betting at least 3 spots open in Jump with-in the next 3 months.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Let's leave things at this: Neuro lasted 4 years, had an anime, and ends with center color. The last series I can remember getting color pages for it's last chapter was Prince of Tennis. After watching so many series die after a year it's obvious Neuro accomplished a lot.
 

DeidaraGrimmjow

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 1, 2008
Messages
792
Reaction score
101
Gender
Male
Country
United States
How did Prince of Tennis generally rank in the TOC when it ran in WSJ?
 

KuwabaraTheMan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 30, 2005
Messages
897
Reaction score
46
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
United States
How did Prince of Tennis generally rank in the TOC when it ran in WSJ?
For much of its run it was a perennial Top 5 title. In its later years it started to drop, and for the last year or two it was more in the middle/bottom, having somewhat frequent appearances in the Bottom 5. But it still did well at times, and even was in the Top 5 on occasion.

It also had great volume sales all the way up to the end, and continued to be a dominant series. (Hence why they brought it back for a sequel series in SQ)
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
How did Prince of Tennis generally rank in the TOC when it ran in WSJ?
I'm to new to this to know how it did in it's heyday but during it's last full year it generally ranked in the middle. Looking back through the livejournal page it seems to have already settled into that position back in 2005.

There's all kinds of fun TOC facts to be discovered at the LJ community. I linked it to May 9, 2005, the first TOC posted there. If anyone is interested; Death Note and Bakuman's positions are almost identical and D. Gray Man seems to have always been in the middle/back of the magazine.
 

Muddy

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Mar 9, 2008
Messages
225
Reaction score
6
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Man, now that I think about it, Neuro's depature is actually a really big deal for me. Aside from it being one of Jump's best series, it's one with much nostalgic value, since it started just as I first discovered this magical magazine called Weekly Jump, in which a whole host of my favorite manga (OP, Naruto, HxH, Bleach) were all serialized in one and the same place. I actually own the issue (2005 #12) in which Neuro debuted. This feels like the end of an era.

And I, too, would be very pleased with a Hotta Yumi return. The fact that she hasn't made an appearance since early '05 is rather discouraging, though...
 

Heiji-sama

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Preview Shônen Jump #20 :
 

[Cross]

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 21, 2008
Messages
717
Reaction score
320
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
United States
hm..damn seems the preview has no news on a new series yet (from looking at it, at least), but wait has anyone heard if anything is announced during the JUMP talkshow that was suppose to have aired?
 

fxu

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 24, 2007
Messages
847
Reaction score
1,103
Gender
Male
Country
Uruguay
What is Kagetora saying right below Ageha in that preview pic?
 

DeidaraGrimmjow

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 1, 2008
Messages
792
Reaction score
101
Gender
Male
Country
United States
A better question would be why is he below Ageha in the first place. Same goes for Killer Bee and Naruto.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top