Mag Talk Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

Waji strikes me as a November/December cut. I doubt Jump can sustain three gag series, Inuamaru seems to have established itself alongside Jaguar. With Japanese readers rejecting it, it is only a matter of when the editors want to cut the chord and chapter count.
 

Negative Syndicate

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

Waji strikes me as a November/December cut.
I think if Wajimania get axed, it'll be around November because I think the editors will start first line-up for 2010 series on beginning of December.

Does anyone knows that the editors consider comments from readers and amount of fan letters to judge whether the series get cancelled or not?
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Drmke

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 22, 2009
Messages
4,224
Reaction score
1,235
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Palestine
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

Does anyone knows that the editors consider comments from readers and amount of fan letters to judge whether the series get cancelled or not?
That might come up for some series that they are on the fence about them, but I doubt that's a major thing they always look at. Cause other series could be more popular just not as many fan letters are sent in.
 

Ronin88

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jun 2, 2009
Messages
14
Reaction score
0
Gender
Male
Country
New Zealand
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

What is wajima all about anyway, i havn't actually seen it. I saw that little gene lookin dude but thats about it.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi

Drmke

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 22, 2009
Messages
4,224
Reaction score
1,235
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Palestine
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

Wow, sounds even more uninteresting than I thought :P lol
 

Crude

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 16, 2007
Messages
2,698
Reaction score
693
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

The genie looks a little cool though.
 

kewl0210

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 27, 2006
Messages
1,390
Reaction score
1,902
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

Gag manga are generally not interesting in the plot, more in the jokes.
But this looks really dumb, the drawing style doesn't even look like manga/anime style. And perhaps someone will scanlate it when it gets to the tankoubons.

That guy who loves gag manga still hasn't scanned the first volume of Inumaru Dashi... I have it so I could translate it, but I'm busy with Gash and Toriko so I can't for a little while longer. Then maybe we'll actually get some Edited Mangas of it.
 

Crude

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 16, 2007
Messages
2,698
Reaction score
693
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

At least Inumaru has good art. Not sure about the jokes though, seeing as I've never read it.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

If true, and I'm not doubting, it would make a lot of sense. Hoshino could draw out the darker elements of the story, worry less about multi - chapter fight scenes, and not have to worry about weekly deadlines. SQ needs another hit to sustain it.
 

Negative Syndicate

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

I heard that Japan is currently having hurricane and earthquake right now, and there is rumor that even bigger earthquake is possibly coming. I know there is no series on this week, but is it going to affect Jump release, or not?
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

After a 7.2 magnitude earthquake, the tsunami in Taiwan, and China, the last thing to be worried about are comics. As it is, issue 39 has already gone to press, unless shops are closed a week from Monday it will be out.

In happier news: Heiji is reporting at Ritual that D. Gray Man will resume serialization in Jump SQ issue 12 this November.
 
Last edited:

Negative Syndicate

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

In happier news: Heiji is reporting at Ritual that D. Gray Man will resume serialization in Jump SQ issue 12 this November.
Is that means D.Gray-man moved to Jump SQ, not Weekly Shonen Jump?
 

Drmke

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 22, 2009
Messages
4,224
Reaction score
1,235
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Palestine
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

In happier news: Heiji is reporting at Ritual that D. Gray Man will resume serialization in Jump SQ issue 12 this November.
The almighty D. Gray-man is coming back!! :worship2

I never thought this day would come!! (secretly I did.)
 

Digital_Eon

Proofreader
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 15, 2007
Messages
1,140
Reaction score
70
Age
36
Gender
Female
Country
Canada
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

No reason to discuss it in this thread, then? XD I'm so confused, though - Jump would have room for it in a few weeks, easily. And what about sales...

I'm not happy with that decision, but whatever.

So the summer Akamaru won't have any little extras from other series? I thought it always had those. Huh.
 

Koshi_Inaba

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jun 6, 2009
Messages
597
Reaction score
168
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

D.Gray-man moving can easily increase SQ's circulation as its reader's age spectrum are wider than WSJ. Don't worry, D.Gray-man was more popular with non WSJ buying public, both WSJ and D.Gray-man's sales are not gonna drop.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

QFT. SQ needs a boost, DGM joining Shin Tennis no Oujisama will help. I believe the move has two more important reasons:

1. DGM has outgrown Jump's audience. SQ targets older readers, D. Gray Man may benefit from more exposure to 16 - 18 year old's and fewer 11 - 15 year old's. Hoshino won't feel as much pressure to add ten chapter battles shifting her focus to plot.

2. The health issues I know of were related to drawing a weekly manga. I know she had carpel tunnel syndrome, along with back, wrist, and neck problems. Monthly deadlines will put less stress on her health.

WSJ does feel diminished, and I will miss weekly DGM, but it is better off in SQ. Now she can focus on writing a more plot oriented action series, something she is much better at.
 

andrewsungchehau

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jan 28, 2009
Messages
379
Reaction score
62
Gender
Male
Country
Brunei
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

I'm happy for DGM's return but sad for it gonna be in monthly magazine. That means we got less DGM chapter to read in a month. Less pages (30-40pgs) in comparison to weekly (1 week around 15-17, a month about +60 pgs). Gonna wait for a month in order to read my favourite DGM, though its better than not having a chapter for 2-3 months, even though the suffering is reduced. This means that DGM might need to take a longer period of time to end (since its monthly, in comparing to weekly). But since Hoshino sensei health in the top priority, it might work out fine, plus if she focuses more on the plot than before, than I might be a little a happier, although I still prefer weekly(in reader's point of view) than monthly IMO.

Btw, why can't the people in Jump make a magazine than focus to release after 2 weeks with a series chapter of about +30 pages, I think it might work out fine?? Is it because of expenses and budgets for both the company and readers?? Or they don't even think about this idea before??:P
 
Last edited:

Digital_Eon

Proofreader
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 15, 2007
Messages
1,140
Reaction score
70
Age
36
Gender
Female
Country
Canada
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

This means that DGM might need to take a longer period of time to end (since its monthly, in comparing to weekly). But since Hoshino sensei health in the top priority, it might work out fine, plus if she focuses more on the plot than before, than I might be a little a happier, although I still prefer weekly(in reader's point of view) than monthly IMO.
At the rate she's going, DGM'll end faster than Naruto. :eyeroll

I think Shueisha does have a biweekly magazine - Weekly Young Jump? I was sure Gantz came out every two weeks. But that's obviously not the right genre for DGM.

And apparently Hoshino has her old editor back? Does that normally happen, or was there another switch-up among editors? I seem to recall there being a big change a few years ago, with a number of authours changing editors amongst each other.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

Bi - weekly magazines are very common, maybe more common then weeklies, actually. Young Animal, HanaYume, Margaret, ShoComi, Evening, and Big Comic Original all come to mind. For whatever reason there are currently no bi - weekly shonen, at least none that I am aware of, and none of the publishers seem to have plans to start one any time soon.

Digital_Eon said:
I think Shueisha does have a biweekly magazine - Weekly Young Jump? I was sure Gantz came out every two weeks. But that's obviously not the right genre for DGM.

And apparently Hoshino has her old editor back? Does that normally happen, or was there another switch-up among editors? I seem to recall there being a big change a few years ago, with a number of authours changing editors amongst each other.
Young Jump is a weekly. Gantz has a special deal where the mangaka only does two chapters a month. Negima has a similar deal with Shonen Magazine. A deal like that could work but DGM is more suited to SQ then WSJ IMO. SQ will make it a better manga. Super Jump is bi - weekly seinen. Before SQ came out that is where DGM would have moved. Takeshi (by the guy who does Toriko) moved there because of his shenanigans. Nowadays Super Jump has way to old an audience for DGM, most readers are in their late 20's - early 30's.

Surprised she has her old editor back. I thought she and Yoshi didn't get along -_-;
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top