Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3
^I think the art has very little to do with actual sales.
What I think will happen is: Akaboshi's sales will be way below average for the first volume, but (assuming the author manages to keep the quality high for the next chapters) it'll start doing better and better in the ToCs, which in turn will make readers more interested in buying the tankohons. As long as it doesn't get axed in a reasonable period of time (say a year or two), I can see it reaching the 100k mark sometime in the future. BUT unlike Medaka, the readers of other magazines won't have anything to do with it. As far as content goes, Akaboshi is as "Jump-like" as it gets; if it has to find its audience somewhere, it's within Jump, not somewhere else. Which is why I believe ToC rankings will influence its survival - or death - much more than sales (see how long Psyren lasted, despite selling poorly).