Discussion What Are You Reading? What Do You Plan on Reading Next?

k-dom

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jan 5, 2008
Messages
6,280
Reaction score
2,460
Gender
Male
Country
France
I only saw the anime but I found it was good considering it was quite old. If you want a moving story about the bomb I advice The Country of Cherry Blossom.
 

Googlez_kun

MH's Best Artist
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Joined
Oct 22, 2008
Messages
9,744
Reaction score
8,510
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
I intended to read it but I was unable to find it. It was licensed so it's nowhere to be found. Though I probably didn't look hard enough.

---------- Post added August 13, 2013 at 12:14 AM ---------- Previous post was August 12, 2013 at 09:14 PM ----------

(Thanks k-dom)

Just read it and liked it better. Especially Town of Evening Calm. That was brilliant.
 

MattC302

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2010
Messages
820
Reaction score
296
Gender
Hidden
Country
Marine Headquarters
I loved the Yokai aspect of Shigeru Mizuki's 'NonNonBa', so I was really excited to read Drawn & Quaterly's English release of GeGeGe no Kitaro. Just bought it the other day, but it turned out to be not very good and not what I was expecting. Disappointed.
 

Schabrak

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jan 1, 2006
Messages
7,202
Reaction score
2,304
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Got back into Wagatsuma-san wa Ore no Yome, a hilarious series with a lot of innuendos on japanese culture/series/movies/manga/everything. Characters fulfill many clichés and we see lot's of overreactions, but I just couldn't stop reading, it keeps being funny.

Also finally got past the second chapter of World Trigger, it's better than expected, the pace keeps on being pretty good so far and characters are likeable. It should move towards something more plot related after the next/current arc.

Read the first part of The Country of Cherry Blossom, not sure how I feel. At first I though it would end horribly, than it appeared to have gone into another direction, than... just a the mangaka has intended. Damn!
 
Last edited:

k-dom

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jan 5, 2008
Messages
6,280
Reaction score
2,460
Gender
Male
Country
France
Wagatsuma is probably the best comedy I read at the moment. To bad the daily releases had to finish. The DX brigade members are hilarious and even if I miss tons of references, I really like the mangakas pastiches.
 

Day

Translator
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Mar 8, 2011
Messages
232
Reaction score
108
Gender
Female
Country
United States
I last read Jisatsutou.. it's pretty good. I need more to read but good manga is hard to come by s:
 

ukimix

Intl Translator
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 13, 2011
Messages
3,313
Reaction score
2,810
Gender
Hidden
Country
Colombia
I last read Jisatsutou.. it's pretty good. I need more to read but good manga is hard to come by s:
Possibly you have read it, but... have you read Yokohama Kaidashi Kiko? It's absolutely lovely, and a truly masterpiece. We are reading it in the collective reading project, here. We go in vol 10 this week, and will begin vol 11 next Monday.
Also let me invite you to read Vagrant Soldier Ares. If you haven't read it, a group of people just begin its reading some weeks ago. It has 207 chapters and this week we are reading chapters 30 to 43. Here the thread for the collective reading of this manhwa.
 

raDar

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 19, 2011
Messages
667
Reaction score
489
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Sunspear
At long last, I managed to start reading Bakune Young. Liking what I've read so far, as expected of Matsunaga.

Also started reading one of WSJ's new series Hime-dol!. I'm optimistic about this series as much as I was with Souma when it just started. Hopefully it survives since I really like the premise and it has this charm for me.
 

Doraku

Repenting Smut Peddler
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 22, 2012
Messages
5,762
Reaction score
1,701
Gender
Male
Country
The Wall
Same with several members above, I'm also just recently started reading Wagatsuma-san. I think it's hilarious, and how the author tries to jumble up all pop-culture references is always interesting. Definitely a series that you should read whenever you need a fresh comedy.
 

Schabrak

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jan 1, 2006
Messages
7,202
Reaction score
2,304
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Started reading Biblia Koshodou no Jiken Techou, it's about a young man named Daisuke who's getting some old books from his deceased grandmother deceased. It turns out to be completely worthless, yet the young owner of a bookstore, Shinokawa Shioriko, starts to help him reveal the secret about special signature. Three chapters a 50+pages are out, it was a worthwhily read so far and seemingly only the beginning of their relationship.

Gone through the available 14 chapters of Renai Shimasen ka?, only two more left. Genre[Comedy, Ecchi, Romance, Seinen] will let you conjecture the content. :D Boy, frightened to start a relationship with a girl, is in Otaku club with a loli, promises to start a one month long one with a girl from a maid cafe. Was a good read, loved those legs. The manga is funny, only three volumes long, try it out.

Some might already know Shishunki no Iron Maiden. Concept is that certain women are special and instead of having a normal period they ..., :3c It's far more perverted than expected, didn't know it was seinen, the plot is pretty gripping right now.
 

k-dom

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jan 5, 2008
Messages
6,280
Reaction score
2,460
Gender
Male
Country
France
I read the first volume of Gaku which was out this week under the name 'Vertical'. And damn what a great read. It is only episodic chapter but you can only fall in love with Sano the main character. Really glad Glénat pick this up
 

MattC302

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2010
Messages
820
Reaction score
296
Gender
Hidden
Country
Marine Headquarters
I read the first volume of Gaku which was out this week under the name 'Vertical'. And damn what a great read. It is only episodic chapter but you can only fall in love with Sano the main character. Really glad Glénat pick this up
I want to read that sooo bad. I wish I knew French, because Viz will never release an 18 volume, Seinen, sports manga in this modern market...
 

k-dom

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jan 5, 2008
Messages
6,280
Reaction score
2,460
Gender
Male
Country
France
I just read the first volume of Chocolat. A story about a gang leader (and his followers) who decides to become baker to fulfill his dead wife dream. Needless to say it's not for the realism of the scenario that I like it :-)
 

MattC302

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2010
Messages
820
Reaction score
296
Gender
Hidden
Country
Marine Headquarters
I've started a few interesting manga this weekend.

I checked out the first chapter of Gringo 2061. It could turn out to be a completely conventional survival horror story, but I'll give it a few chapters to distinguish itself.

Then I tried the first chapter of Gokusai. I remember being intrigued by the volume covers in the volume cover thread. It's by the same mangaka as TOUGH and is about art. Intriguing first chapter.

I also tried chapter one of Immortal Hounds, which is by the same mangaka as Uwagaki and runs in a magazine that I like(Harta). It has an extremely interesting premise and I can't wait to read more.

Finally, I read the first four chapters of Nejimaki Kagyu. I also remember having the unique art of this series catch my eye in the past by its volume covers or color pages, and someone on this forum has sig art from the mangaka. One of the more distinctive art styles I've seen. It's pretty funny too.
 

Schabrak

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jan 1, 2006
Messages
7,202
Reaction score
2,304
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Gringo is a remake of the Osamu version, did you read both and if, are they comparable? Horror survival does sound like a different direction.

A female hero in Gokusai? And that mangaka to boot, thanks for the reminder.

I've only seen this pic, now I finally learned the name too. :D

Got into Horimiya, cute drawings, funny and that pair and relationship has grown on me, thanks to the dad arriving! If someone hates the lack of backgrounds, this isn't for you.
 

MattC302

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2010
Messages
820
Reaction score
296
Gender
Hidden
Country
Marine Headquarters
Gringo is a remake of the Osamu version, did you read both and if, are they comparable? Horror survival does sound like a different direction.
I haven't read the Tezuka version, but from reading the summary of it, they don't seem to have anything at all in common. But I can't really say for sure, having only read 1 chapter of Gringo 2061 and none of the Tezuka version.

-----------------

I just tried the first 3 chapters of Hero Mask. The art style is kind of conventional, yet very visually appealing. And 3 chapters isn't much to go on, but it seems like it could be fun.
 

Schabrak

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jan 1, 2006
Messages
7,202
Reaction score
2,304
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
I love female heroes, Change 123 got a bit messy towards the end and Matsuri Special was more comedy romance than sports with no action. edit: Reading a bit further... a bit disappointed, but maybe it will come true some day.
 

MattC302

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2010
Messages
820
Reaction score
296
Gender
Hidden
Country
Marine Headquarters
I read the first volume of 'Innocent', by the artist of Kokou no Hito. The art was amazing and the story is much more intriguing than I even expected.
 
Last edited:

k-dom

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jan 5, 2008
Messages
6,280
Reaction score
2,460
Gender
Male
Country
France
I'm now reading a classic from Ai Yazawa, I Am Not An Angel. I must said that I didn't really like Nana so I had some prejudice with this author. But this earlier work is a pure jewel of shoujo. The characters are so refreshing and fun. I may give a try with Gokinjo after.

Also I have taken the 3 books of A Chinese Story by Li Kunwu. I already read his second book The Binding Feet. His art is really great and his books give a good view of chinese life during communism and the evolution of the society during the last 50 years. So serious read but interesting.
 
Top