Shounen - Yakusoku no Neverland by Kaiu Shirai and Posuka Demizu | Page 17 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Shounen Yakusoku no Neverland by Kaiu Shirai and Posuka Demizu

shionoro

Mangahelper
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Germany
I felt like writing a review for this chapter, so here it is:

Chapter title: "Teaming up"

What happened:

There was not a lot of action happening in this chapter, but we still got some development and a neat reveal:
The Kids will be teaming up with Krone because they got a common goal (removing Mama from power).
While both parties know better than to trust each other, they still accepted that this development is beneficial for them.
This alliance works because Ray is their bargaining chip: He could rat out Krone but Krone could also rat out that Ray is a double agent, even if both parties want to betray the other later on.
The chapter ends with the kids going into Krone's room for more information about the situation of the world, with two things being told to them by Krone already:
Mama's die due to a chip on their heart if they leave their instiution and there is more than one farm on the grace fields, our farm being the third.

Analysis:

This chapter was a clear transitional chapter, setting up the future developments.
However, it gave more insights to what type of person Krone is.
She is often underestimated for several reasons: Both Mama and the children outsmarted her at some points (with Mama seeming so far ahead of her that she seems like just a small threat and the kids even winning in a game of tag against her).
Additionally, just lately, she screwed up with trying to pull Gilda on her side.

However, I would argue differently in regard to this chapter. Krone was not prepared that 12-year-olds could be that smart and tough, and there is put emphasis on the children being special (which is true, the tests they did are things that would put them far ahead in terms of mental capacity of even most adults).
But she is a fast learner in that regard. Krone accepts when she screws up and learns from it.
After all, she did manage (even with a bit of luck) to get to know which children plan to escape and forge an alliance beneficial to her.
Krone is like a bloodhound for weakness and while there is emphasis in this chapter about her seeing the children just as insects, i would say that Krone is not as arrogant as Mama is.
Mama is so far ahead of everyone that she tends to underestimate other people. In contrast, Krone quickly understood just how smart Norman is.
She understood Norman will look through her and thus set up a plan that Norman had not really an option not to take. And she understood that without knowing Norman all his life but with just the few interactions she had with them.
She is able to work with what she has and she is clever and creative enough to make things work even after some screw ups.
This character is definitely a bigger threat than she is given credit for.

The chapter also clears up Krone's goal further: She wants to take the position of Mama because it is the best life she can lead in the world she lives in.
She does not care about anyone else but openly admits to just want to lead that selfish life in peace while putting up the Mama act.
I do not think she lied and that tells us a lot about just how dark the Neverland world really is.

Verdict:

I do not believe in scores, but this was a great transitional chapter because it got a lot of setting up done while still offering some memorable pictures.
Krone as a bug collector just using other persons for her pleasure was such a picture and characterized Krone perfectly on just one page.
The situation also didn't get drawn out: While the modalities of the alliance were handled out, we also got insight on what it means to be a mama, some tidbit about the outside world and we got necessary reactions on Krone from our maincast (Norman instantly understanding the situation and intending to abuse Krone like she intends to abuse them, Emma being sickened by the fact Krone was one of them and still looks down on them so much) .

That is a lot that got done in just one chapter.
Neverland might be a slower paced manga than many action manga, but that is because it needs to carefully set up its situations, not because the author takes transitional chapters as a breather.
This transitional chapter once more confirms this and shows the dedication both the author and the artist have to bring the plot forward in a natural way and not dwell on filler content, and as such it deserves praise.

Drakrami

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Balearic Islands
no ones hyped about the next chapter? We could get a lot of reveals anything from what are the demons to what is the status of the outside world. I'd assume Krone knows all about this since she is an adult.

Spirit

Certified Sensei
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Australia
@shionoro A fantastic review on all counts. I love the way you bring across your opinions and might well take some tips from this next review I write.
no ones hyped about the next chapter? We could get a lot of reveals anything from what are the demons to what is the status of the outside world. I'd assume Krone knows all about this since she is an adult.
Yes i'm pretty hyped because, though we once again have to slog through another double issue, chapter 21 looks to be leading up to a lot of World Building and generally just broadening the scope of what we know about this world. Because up until now we only know and focus on what's inside Grace Fields Farm 3.

BasedAnon

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Fairy Tail
Chapter 21 Spoiler.

Krone has the Number 18684 and knows nothing about the demons. Isabella is 31 years old (as said in the Volume 1 Extras) and she was born in 2014. Emma is surprised that Mama was born before the book they read, but still grew up in a farm. Neither Mama nor Sister come from 'outside' as they are adults who survived the farm system. Emma thinks that there is a chance that Minerva who wrote the books is still alive. Mama makes her move: 'It's about time now.'

Kadir0

Reaction score
Country
The Wall
So we won't find out anything about the outside world and yet the the whole chapter will be dedicated to them in that room judging the spoilers, well i hope mama has more lines

Spirit

Certified Sensei
Reaction score
Country
Australia

Yakusoku no Neverland 21

Spoiler Sources
Spoiler.net - Online

Chapter Release
Mangastream - Offline

No Reliable translations are available yet.

Short Summary:
  • Emma and Norman talk to Krone in her room
  • Krone tells them that she and Isabella never came from the outside
  • Isabella "makes her move"

Xguard

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Thailand
Wowww. This is also a great chapter!
What will Mama do next? What is the word Sis Krone said? What will she tell them next? and What will these kids do to handle Sis Krone next time now that they knew Sis Krone is hard to handle more that they've imagined?

Kadir0

Reaction score
Country
The Wall
Holysh#t, i take back what i said, this chapter was freaking amazing. Love sister Krone.

Erinyes

Savage Huntress
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
https://mangastream.com/r/neverland/021/3925/1

This chapter was so great, I really had chills when Krone laughed, love so much characters facial expressions, the artist is doing such an awesome job

So we ll have to wait a long time before next chapter,
chapter 22's spoilers should be released around January 12 and Ms Scan likely around Januray 14-16th

Holt

#1 Ranker
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
Exactly..you get caught up in all the cuteness and then you remember the whole story. Just reminds you of how much they've had to change because they know the truth now.

Doughboy

Reaction score
Country
United States
Nice special chapter, too bad its savage in the story for them currently :feelsbadman

Hermit

Reaction score
Country
Mozambique
Holy shit:eek:
Damn, Krone is really smarter than I give her props for:nuts
Legit surprised, and in a good way that she decided to go for the non verbal cues instead of the verbal ones. It's an old practice that's even used in fortune telling, I think the correct term for that would be 'cold reading.'
But to think she'd actually use that....wow, color me impressed Krone:verily
It gets more amazing when you realize that earlier on in the series, when Isabella confronted Emma and tried to read her for any signs, she got nothing, and Krone was able to do it despite being relatively new at the orphanage.
MVP for the week found:super
Something did capture my attention though, about the humans who are not being eaten by the demons, is there a chance that the only reason the humans outside aren't being eaten is because their adults? We've already seen that the demons have a preference for children, so maybe adults just aren't as palatable as kids?
Also Isabella going in:^_^:zomg
Next chapter she should just approach the three kids and be like:
Isabella Sousuke 2k17:blush

Kato756

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
You know what? After the Standing on equal grouns with demons + 2014, i will bet one one thing:

This practice ( farm ) is as old as time,and the society outside is OUR society, tho 99.9% of us dont know about it.
And once the kids are out there, they will try to undo this conspiration. The only hole in my theory is why materials on the farm only go to 2016...

Hermit

Reaction score
Country
Mozambique
LOL this Omake.:XD:XD
OMG, this is the cutest thing I've read in forever aha:wtf
Is this how Norman fell in love with her? This better damn well be it, because I refuse to accept any other head canons now!!!!:hip
And....he really did fall in love with her:wtf:waah
Damn, that was a beautiful read.
I know shipping in this series won't be for the best and is probably out of place, but damn, do I love Norman x Emma too much.:smile-big

Kadir0

Reaction score
Country
The Wall
I have a feeling what is actually guarding this children is the environment, perhaps it is deadly and chaotic outside and might even have a radiation, that's why demons don't bother putting security outside.

Last edited:

Purity of Magi

The Witch of Miracles
Reaction score
Country
England
First time posting here. After this chapter I had just to post here how much I like this manga. Been a long while that I posted in a manga forum lol.

This manga, every chapter... it gets me everytime. My god it only has 21 chapters and seriously, it already had me since chapter 1, that really says something. Hopefully it will stay that way. It is been a while that I have enjoyed a manga like this one. Sister Krone, such a smart woman. Really, it was kinda funny how some people understimated her. I really love the way how she handle things. She is uhm.. oh yeah.. so straight to the point, but also sly at the same time, I love it. Not to mention those lovely face expression she made, damn freakin' love it. Also, it is about time that Isabelle is also going to make a move. There is so much I could say, but that takes too much time. I will keep it short, but with passion!

My god, can't wait till the next chapter. Hype everywhere!

Spirit

Certified Sensei
Reaction score
Country
Australia
First time posting here. After this chapter I had just to post here how much I like this manga. Been a long while that I posted in a manga forum lol.

This manga, every chapter... it gets me everytime. My god it only has 21 chapters and seriously, it already had me since chapter 1, that really says something. Hopefully it will stay that way. It is been a while that I have enjoyed a manga like this one. Sister Krone, such a smart woman. Really, it was kinda funny how some people understimated her. I really love the way how she handle things. She is uhm.. oh yeah.. so straight to the point, but also sly at the same time, I love it. Not to mention those lovely face expression she made, damn freakin' love it. Also, it is about time that Isabelle is also going to make a move. There is so much I could say, but that takes too much time. I will keep it short, but with passion!

My god, can't wait till the next chapter. Hype everywhere!
Good to see you here Love :amuse

I knew from the start that Krone was devious, and it's fun to see some people only realizing that now. She's easily one of my favoirite characters to date.