One Cour Yakusoku no Neverland

Elusia

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Country
Philippines
Tfw you're a manga reader and you still freaked out at that last shot :XD

But anyways, it is a good first episode. There are few things that were left out that could have been in here, but they totally nailed the atmosphere and general theme of the manga. Everything else is great. Can't wait for it next week! :zomg
Edut : im amazed they managed to do an opening with no spoilers at all thats quite unusual.
There were some symbols/details in there that could consider as spoilers in upcoming eps.
Like the match, lamp and puzzle pieces
But otherwise, it's a free spoiler OP o/

Kadir0

Country
The Wall
The adoptation is a dope. Characters’ voices are great, the art is great too. Even those particular scenes they added with Ray like eavesdroping Norman and Emma was great. Can’t wait for the next episode.

deyna

Country
Malaysia
yeah can see why made in abyss author likes promised neverland. the author also writes similar genres but different setting.

Arjuna

The Emperor Who Rules the World
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Country
India
Oh Akihito Tsukushi (Made in Abyss author) seems to have enjoyed Neverland , see the twitter comment "ナイスネバーランド!"("Nice neverland !! " ) :zomg

Pretty much similar series with nearly same age protagonists.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Oh btw

12 episodes

link

Last edited by a moderator:

Admiral Teach

Country
Water Tribe
The opening was absolutely terrible. I cannot think of a worse one. The visuals were also way over the top and that just worked out all wrong. Someone forgot this is a pyschological thriller and tried to make it into an upbeat generic shounen op instead. For shame. Wasted opportunity. At least they gave it the appropriate styled ending. Though I would have gone for a soothing lullaby that trips into a minor key there at the end.

The ending theme is redeeming, as it hits the right notes and the images are ominous to suite the story.

The animation was beautiful and what I would expect and want. The only issue, as I always complain about, is the lack of true detail and attention to shadows with modern anime. But that is not a specific fault, so no more word from me about that. The verdant greens and excellent detail to terrain made the whole landscape come alive and feel vivid, lush and wonderful, a perfect secluded, secured, world. Excellent job there. I was surprised how the house feels... less interesting than it could have been. The next episode may give plenty of time for Emma and Norman to explore while highlighting the everyday horrors, like the barred windows. And they seemed to have not taken as much time setting up how happy Emma is there. But there is only so much time, so I can see where certain things just had to be cut. Although they could have not had the opening theme and just instead done the prologue opening with Emma narrating how wonderful Gracefield is, like the manga... *Shakes head sadly*

The scene choreography was dynamic where it counted, and I really, really appreciated it. The family talk getting interrupted by split-second cuts to the speaker is great. I've often wished many anime would try this. Excellent way of injecting energy into a scene of people standing around talking. Then there's
the truck scene. My goodness, that hit like a ton of bricks, as it should. I knew what to expect, and yet the animators drew it out perfectly.

But still, the way they built up the scene still did its job excellently. The fact it still affected me proves this.

Now, the manga hit me like several pianos weighed with a couple dozen anvils. Ah, that day, I remember it well. I was bored, convinced there was nothing new good to read. Happened upon Mangastream to see that they'd once again updated that weird Neverland manga. Clearly, I said to myself, it is one of those emotional slice-of-life come-of-age stories I avoid like the plague. And then the girl lost her bunny... I was like... oh good grief the cheap excuse for drama. But wait, she just had it...

And then boom.

The character facial expressions were absolutely gold. They were a million times better than the manga, where Norman seems almost expressionless when seeing Connie. One could argue they might be just dumbfounded, but the expressions of purest, overwhelming terror are far better, specially with the demons. The anime team outdid themselves with that entire portion. Watching Emma covering her mouth, her face shriveling at the bridge of her nose, eyes and brow in complete terror and revulsion, was perfect representation of human emotion. This is how it is done, people! *Looking at recent series of expressionless faces* And it sells.

That last stinger at the very end with Isabella holding the rabbit was incredible. Bravo!

So far so good. Everything is working out well. The short episode count will also mean fast-paced stuff, which hopefully proves the correct decision. I could see 25 episodes from all this, but it is far better to just go for a race the clock speed rather than slow and ponderous. That is one flaw of the manga. It started to drag a tad bit there at the end of the arc...

Last edited:

Admiral Teach

Country
Water Tribe
Thanks. I thought the name didn't sound quite right when I typed it. Don't know how I made that error, honestly. :facepalm

Demonspeed

Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Country
France
That was solid. I find the OP and ED a bit too generic, but the OST is nice, the voice acting too.

I can't help but think about Killua when I hear Ray :XD.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Thanks. I thought the name didn't sound quite right when I typed it. Don't know how I made that error, honestly. :facepalm

:fan

Brandish

aka Brandish
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Global Moderator
Country
Australia
Isabella is how I fantasize she would be animated. It's a shame Ray comes off the worst tho : (

The first 15 minutes or so reminded me why I didn't get into TPN initially. When they ran from Conny, that was done better in the anime than the manga for me, coz I could really feel how much it affected Emma. So it's a good start.

Cycnea

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Country
Imperium of Mankind
I prepared, extra-prepared myself for the jumpscare, but I didn't for the superb voice acting and the facial expressions omg so instead of jumped, I cried. Twice. The dreadful atmosphere from the reveal to the end was excellent. Their emotion was beautifully delivered. And the background music doubled the greatness. :wtf

Speaking of music, I love the soundtracks. Was a bit uneasy at first considering this is apparently the composer's first work on anime, but it turned out great. I'm impressed.

If I have any complaint, maybe about how they made a certain foreshadowing related to a certain character to be a bit too noticeable.
He is supposed to be a boy that successfully hid things behind the curtain for years. Questioning the House's rules out loud is one thing, but saying something like "Once I get outside, I'd have to survive first" is too much of a slip-up, imo. It's not something I expected from him.

That said, it's a very good first episode. I don't know how the changes (compared to the manga) will affect next episodes, but I hope this show is really in good hands. Looking forward for more.

Wowzers

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Country
Canada
Just an observation... The episode titles
Episode 1: 121045
Episode 2: 131045

They look like dates... so October 12, 45 and October 13, 45
The episodes are on consecutive days, so it might fit.
At first I thought they might be the numbers tattoo'd on them but they didn't seem to match.
The year is a little funny, but maybe it's 45 years since the farm started?

Elusia

Country
Philippines
It was a good episode for sure, but man... as a manga reader, it's very frustrating as hell.

Getting out of the good stuff first, they really nailed some of the scenes like with Isabella, and the dynamic relationship between Emma, Ray and Norman. The OST is amazing as well. They are pretty spot on! :super

But on the negative side of things, they left out a lot of things, including the ones that are essential to the story. I do hope they touch on it, but as far as the pacing goes, I doubt it. At this rate, they will probably end up adapting more than 3 chaps per ep. and it'll be very rushed :emocat

I do hope that's not the case. The anime's still good, but I'm very worried. Hoping that it'll be better later on o/

Last edited:

Arjuna

Country
India
Yeah they totally cut out many scenes which would have made the Episode better.

Like Elu said good as an anime only watcher but frustrating as a manga reader.

It will be a tough job for them adapt nearly 39 chapters in 12 episodes.

Otherwise the Episode was enjoyable.

revo

\ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ/
Mangahelper
Country
Argentina
I liked the backgrounds very much in this episode, especially how the inside of the house is, the use of the lights and the colors make it to be really into horror. The use of soundtrack is still good, and they nail it on the use of scary and surprising sounds on moments of horror (like the Isabella and Emma scene in the hall).

But I have to agree with Elu in how rushed it felt. The only anime viewers maybe noted it or not, but by remembering the manga, the whole Ray scene in the forest didn't feel very nice. It felt too rushed and especially on the end when the new character is introduced. I feel like the animators just want to go to other conflicts first and skip the main introductions.
The first episode felt kinda slow, and in this one is like if the animators are trying to run.

The anime also is giving more hints/showing more some things on characters and plot in general than the manga did. Of course the mystery is still strong, but I feel like that is part of how short the anime will be. But maybe it's just me.

Outside of that, the expressions of the characters, the music and these moments of horror are still good. I still have hopes for the anime and the two episodes are really good. Can't wait for the new one \o/.

Last edited:

Arjuna

Country
India
I liked the backgrounds very much in this episode, especially how the inside of the house is, the use of the lights and the colors make it to be really into horror. The use of soundtrack is still good, and they nail it on the use of scary and surprising sounds on moments of horror (like the Isabella and Emma scene in the hall).

But I have to agree with Elu in how rushed it felt. The only anime viewers maybe noted it or not, but by remembering the manga, the whole Ray scene in the forest didn't feel very nice. It felt too rushed and especially on the end when the new character is introduced. I feel like the animators just want to go to other conflicts first and skip the main introductions.
The first episode felt kinda slow, and in this one is like if the animators are trying to run.

The anime also is giving more hints/showing more some things on characters and plot in general than the manga did. Of course the mystery is still strong, but I feel like that is part of how short the anime will be. But maybe it's just me.

Outside of that, the expressions of the characters, the music and these moments of horror are still good. I still have hopes for the anime and the two episodes are really good. Can't wait for the new one o/.
They should have given 15 episodes instead of 12 only.Then there would have been no rushing.

deyna

Country
Malaysia
pls dont be like tokyo ghoul, pls dont be like tokyo ghoul, pls dont be like tokyo ghoul, pls dont be like tokyo ghoul, pls dont be like tokyo ghoul.....

we have seen anime adaptation of tokyo ghoul manga series as bad as it is. i hope cloverworks won't follow how studio pierrot does things. pls dont be like studio pierrot, cloverworks. unless u want us fans to get mad at u like we did at pierrot.

i expected krone to be introduced in ep 3 and not ep 2. pacing feels rushed though.

Sky

Master of Masters
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Country
Germany
The second episode felt really rushed. It certainly wasn't bad , but after the whole Tokyo Ghoul disaster I ain't exactly having a good feeling.

Arjuna

Country
India
The second episode felt really rushed. It certainly wasn't bad , but after the whole Tokyo Ghoul disaster I ain't exactly having a good feeling.
Same bro I was reminded of TG after seeing this episode.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)