Character - Yuno Discussion Thread | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Character Yuno Discussion Thread

Holt

#1 Ranker
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
Although the story usually follows the black bulls and Asta's story, we also get to see Yuno a fair bit. With his 4 leaf clover and Wind Elemental, he is already plenty powerful and basically on the right path to his dream of becoming Sorcery Emperor. Being in the Golden Dawn is also another plus for him, in terms of standing anyway. This thread is to discuss Yuno, his strengths and weaknesses as well as his potential or what the story has in store for him

Aniela

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Poland
Nothing in this thread? Really? OK, so I just read most of the manga (I skipped parts near the beginning not to spoil myself the upcoming anime episodes), so here I come.

And first off, how much are you willing to bet that Yuno's necklace is one of the magic stones they're all looking for?

lusheta

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
France
Nothing in this thread? Really? OK, so I just read most of the manga (I skipped parts near the beginning not to spoil myself the upcoming anime episodes), so here I come.

And first off, how much are you willing to bet that Yuno's necklace is one of the magic stones they're all looking for?
Wow you must be right :o I think that he is from a noble family, maybe he's an unwanted child and her mother abandonned him unwillingly and she gave him this necklace as a memory of his true family. We saw with a noble like Fuego that he had a magical stone on his necklace so i's maybe a noble thing ?

Aniela

Reaction score
Country
Poland
Wow you must be right :o I think that he is from a noble family, maybe he's an unwanted child and her mother abandonned him unwillingly and she gave him this necklace as a memory of his true family. We saw with a noble like Fuego that he had a magical stone on his necklace so i's maybe a noble thing ?
Quite possible. Judging by the witch queen 's willingness to give up her stone, they must be considered valuable but not priceless, and definitely not really powerful. I think it was mentioned that only elves could use them? And come to think of it, I wouldn't be surprised if Yuno turned out to have some elven blood in him - it would explain his vast magical abilities, complete with the easiness he was able to master manipulating mana (mana skin, his transformation from chapter 132). I mean, I'm betting that elves will play a huge role in the mange in the future, considering that Asta's swords once belonged to their king.

lusheta

Reaction score
Country
France
Quite possible. Judging by the witch queen 's willingness to give up her stone, they must be considered valuable but not priceless, and definitely not really powerful. I think it was mentioned that only elves could use them? And come to think of it, I wouldn't be surprised if Yuno turned out to have some elven blood in him - it would explain his vast magical abilities, complete with the easiness he was able to master manipulating mana (mana skin, his transformation from chapter 132). I mean, I'm betting that elves will play a huge role in the mange in the future, considering that Asta's swords once belonged to their king.
Yuno as an elf, why not :o ? I think it would really fit to him like you said. He has an immense magic power like the elves, he was chosen by the four leaf grimoire, by a rare spirit, he has a magical stone (not sure) that only elves are supposed to know how to use them. Maybe he'll activate it when he'll be in a crucial situation.

But if he's an elf, I wonder why Asta was with him ?

Aniela

Reaction score
Country
Poland
But if he's an elf, I wonder why Asta was with him ?
Now, I overall find their circumstances interesting. They were found together (at least it was so in the anime) and are of the same age, so unless they're binovular twins (low chances, since even then they should be similar to each other like brothers), they got to have different parents. So, who left them? Where the two mothers friends? Or were they strangers and decided to give up their children on the same night by accident? So many variables unknown, LOL.

Last edited:

lusheta

Reaction score
Country
France
Now, I overall find their circumstances interesting. They were found together (at least it was so in the anime) and are of the same age, so unless they're binovular twins (low chances, since either then they should be similar to each other like brothers), they got to have different parents. So, who left them? Where the two mothers friends? Or were they strangers and decided to give up their children on the same night by accident? So many variables unknown, LOL.
Brothers it's an interesting theory :o If like u said there must be a link between the two mothers of the babies. It can't be a coincidence. But for Yuno and his magic stone, it would be interesting to see him facing a member of the White Night Eye since they are looking for those stones, or Nero, he seems to detect and distinguish what is a magic stone.

Franz

伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Italy
Very boring character in my opinion.

Mo Wei

Reaction score
Country
China
Yuno just not yet revealed by the author character:facepalm but boring if not to say the worst of all typical tsun-tsun:facepalm girl with 2 pigtails:derp

Belserion

Queen of Dragons
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Antigua and Barbuda
I used to have the exact same opinion. I never got the Yuno hype and a part of me still doesn't. He's basically the standard Mary Sue character. But then I figured growing up with someone as loud and outspoken as Asta is bound to teach anyone patience lol. I think when Yuno really lets loose we'll be surprised. We saw glimpses in the tournament that he can be passionate when motivated or having fun. As things progress i'm hoping to see a more emotional character.

Franz

Reaction score
Country
Italy
The trouble is that growth is seen very little, thanks to the fact that it disappeared for 4 volumes ....

Mo Wei

Reaction score
Country
China
I used to have the exact same opinion. I never got the Yuno hype and a part of me still doesn't. He's basically the standard Mary Sue character. But then I figured growing up with someone as loud and outspoken as Asta is bound to teach anyone patience lol. I think when Yuno really lets loose we'll be surprised. We saw glimpses in the tournament that he can be passionate when motivated or having fun. As things progress i'm hoping to see a more emotional character.
Strong magician from the birth = Mary Sue:teehee but a child without magic (in magic world) who should be an extra and dullard = No.:cheez
Lllllogic:3c

Franz

Reaction score
Country
Italy
I would like to see an arc focused on Yuno, but I doubt I can handle a story alone.

Franz

Reaction score
Country
Italy
The main problem with Yuno is.....the he's boring

Brandish μ

Can you?
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
He could've been pretty cool if he had a sense of individuality. It doesn't feel like he has obstacles. Recently in battle his main job was to encourage Asta.

That said I don't dislike the guy.

Franz

Reaction score
Country
Italy
Then as a child he had a totally different personality, I wonder what a drastic change is due to. The Yuno of the present is totally inexpressive, it has no will, in short, or the author does not have very clear ideas or maybe there is something under ...

Perhaps the real Yuno was a guy killed and a double has taken his place, everything is possible, he would explain why he is so powerful, while he was a loser when he was a child.

HereNThere

Alive Ain't Always Livin'
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
He is boring as shit, like, 90% of the time.

In my opinion, he's at his best when he's just used as the straight man during the comedic downtimes in the series, like when he was kidnapped by Leona and broke the 4th wall.

Other than those moments, which I can count on one hand, there isn't much to him.

Franz

Reaction score
Country
Italy
In my opinion, he's at his best when he's just used as the straight man during the comedic downtimes in the series, like when he was kidnapped by Leona and broke the 4th wall.

Other than those moments, which I can count on one hand, there isn't much to him.
Yeah, but unfortunately this moment are too few

NoIdeaYet

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Turkey
The way Yuno openly acknowledges, respects and praises Asta without being a hardass about it is refreshing for me, compared to the other rival characters/secondary protagonist from other series I follow.

I enjoy reading/watching Yuno's fight sequences, for being rich with cool and creative techniques such as spirit assimilation, mana zone spirit storm etc. Also while he is often inexpressive, I like the tidbit of character he has shown, for example, the times he speaks his mind against condescending nobles, like Klaus in the beginning, Alecdora, and Langris. When he refused to leave Klaus alone to fight against Mars in the dungeons and when he showed concern for William's body implies he developed a sense of comradeship with Golden Dawn and -I would like that to be explored actually- etc

It's been said textually and subtextually numerous times that he is as hardworking as Asta and makes effort to be powerful so he doesn't come across as Mary Sue-ish to me. That being said, I wouldn't mind seeing him face a bigger challenge where he struggles more obviously.

Last edited:

Franz

Reaction score
Country
Italy
When he refused to leave Klaus alone to fight against Mars in the dungeons and when he showed concern for William's body implies he developed a sense of comradeship with Golden Dawn and -I would like that to be explored actually- etc
Me too, but the narration is too focused on Asta....