Shounen - Chagecha by Yoshio Sawai | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Shounen Chagecha by Yoshio Sawai

The Touch

MH Senpai
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Australia
That crazy funster, Yoshio Sawai-sensei returns to Jump next week (..or this week, depending on how you acquire your manga) after the conclusion of Bobobo. Not too much in way of an in-depth description or any spoilers, outside its an "action comedy" featuring a unruly delinquent.

Here's the WSJ #42 Cover/Opening Colorspread:

You can get the first chapter's RAW HERE!!

Last edited by a moderator:

StrangerAtaru

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I've noticed Sawai has taken an approach to making "delinquent characters in a more realistic setting" with his previous one shot (the one with the senior citizen gang member and the Hatenko-like character). This series could be fun if it is more or less a fusion of Bo-bobo and something like BOY or Rokudenashi Blues...but who knows what to expect.

Oni_James

Reaction score
Country
Catalonia
i expect Sawai's new manga is as cool as last one ^^ (and keeps that absurd humor of his XD)
the topic is a delinquent, seems ok to me XD for the images it seems it's going to be in a present time era, can't wait to see more ^^

Muddy

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for the scans! Looks good.

I wonder if this means Jump already made the decision to axe Bari Haken - it'd be odd to have two "delinquent" manga in the magazine at once, even if they're both unconventional. But then again, they'll probably be *really* different from each other.

In any case, I'm excited for this (even though I haven't read Bobobo!).

Sexy Randal 105

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for the scans! Looks good.

I wonder if this means Jump already made the decision to axe Bari Haken - it'd be odd to have two "delinquent" manga in the magazine at once, even if they're both unconventional. But then again, they'll probably be *really* different from each other.

In any case, I'm excited for this (even though I haven't read Bobobo!).
You mean like Boy and Yu Yu Hakusho existing at the same time? =P

But yeah....I bet this is going to be Bobobo mixed with Cromartie Highschool.

Ataru, you actually stated my predictions exactly. Instead of parodying the epic journey type shonen, he's doing delinquent this time.

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
blonde gasser has snuck onto the cover :O

hehe this actually looks really interesting to say the least

Muddy

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Hah, there's the classic shocked face in the corner of the page... it's Sawai alright.

StrangerAtaru

Translator
Reaction score
Country
United States
Looking over the cover page, I notice that there are lookalikes to Hatenko & Giga...as well as some weird red thing that probably is going to be akin to Don Patch or Tennosuke...and of course the mag cover has the "blond Heppokomaru".

And meanwhile the posted pic...a huge poop-like thing...yep, Sawai loves his poop so I'm used to that by now.

Oni_James

Reaction score
Country
Catalonia
Looking over the cover page, I notice that there are lookalikes to Hatenko & Giga...as well as some weird red thing that probably is going to be akin to Don Patch or Tennosuke...and of course the mag cover has the "blond Heppokomaru".
lol i saw a lookalike of that character that saw serviceman in Gunkan's base, the one that couldn't sleep on the nights because of that XD

after seeing (not reading, because i don't know how to XD) the full chapter:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=BKOZONK0
i have to say Sawai hasn't changed a bit XD but i would want to know what happens about the plot, because i don't know if they (the guy with the white suit and the "blond Heppokomaru") have objectives or what XD

StrangerAtaru

Translator
Reaction score
Country
United States
For those who can't wait for a scanslation and want to at least attempt to follow along:

Furyo 1 (translation): http://mangahelpers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1025425

And let's say I'm impressed! The first chapter reminded me somewhat of Bo-bobo but less of a manzai style to it. I really don't see Masato (the Heppokomaru lookalike) as a tsukkomi...and Chagecha's "physical representation and usage" is amazing in itself.

BTW: I think Don Patch and Dengaku Man are in the first page complaining that this series is about yankees/delinquents...and not them. But then again...they had their chance.

Sexy Randal 105

Reaction score
Country
United States
I really like the look of this series. I can't wait to read it. Thanks for the trans. Sawaii's drawing style improved a lot since Bobobo. I bet it's going to be a good series.

fxu

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
Uruguay
Man, the art is horrible.

I cannot go past the art... so I won't read it.

StrangerAtaru

Translator
Reaction score
Country
United States
Man, the art is horrible.

I cannot go past the art... so I won't read it.
Yeah, Sawai has a really, really sketchy style with his art. Trust me: I didn't even want to get past vol. 1 of Bo-bobo for a long time not just because the series didn't seem to be going anywhere with it's insanity...but because his art was just extremely hard for me to comprehend. It's really a style you have to get used to but personally I thought it vastly improved by the end of Bo-bobo into Shinsetsu.

StrangerAtaru

Translator
Reaction score
Country
United States
Don't read bobobo then.
Bo-bobo's art actually becomes amazing at least around from somewhere between Hajike Block, OVER or Halekulani on. You just have to get past the weird initial character designs (Dengaku Man) and his overobsession with shade and shadow (most of Vol. 1 outside Don Patch) before you can get used to it. But it's obviously not for everyone.

Sexy Randal 105

Reaction score
Country
United States
The over the top character designs might put off some.

StrangerAtaru

Translator
Reaction score
Country
United States
The over the top character designs might put off some.
Surprisingly its not really over the top as they are imaginative. Sawai has some designs he may use over but usually he tries to mix things up and throw in anything he feels like in the story instead of just copy/pasting the same character over and over. (see Kubo's Ichigo design being used multiple times)

Sexy Randal 105

Reaction score
Country
United States
And how Grimjaw = Zombie Power Hero

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i think that was more a homage to the previous cha0racter really.

but yeah sawai has a good track record for not reusing stuff too much (obviously a certain poop is excluded from that for being the one shot character)

Sexy Randal 105

Reaction score
Country
United States
I hope it gets scanlated soon. I really want to start this series. =P