Mag Talk Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sexy Randal 105

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2007
Messages
1,052
Reaction score
37
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
United States
DA was a huge WTF since it had two COVERS, not colors. Weird they would let it go..
 

StrangerAtaru

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2008
Messages
1,452
Reaction score
294
Gender
Male
Country
United States
DA was a huge WTF since it had two COVERS, not colors. Weird they would let it go..
Not the first time I've seen a newer mangaka get two immediate covers without being a massive hit. Should I show you what I saw of "Ten de Showaru Cupid"? (yeah, Togashi went through that too)
 

Imitorar

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 15, 2006
Messages
1,990
Reaction score
270
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Togashi crashed at the beginning of a series? Odd, I thought he usually crashes at the end...

And the only thing I'm interested in about the ToC this week is Kochikame's incredibly low placement (I know that it's practically unranked, but they usually put it in the middle of the magazine, not the 6th to last counting Jaguar). Bokke-san, Meister, and Kuroko no Basket didn't interest me at all, since I don't care much for pure supernatural series' (they need to have some action and/or adventure too) or sports series'. So this entire wave of new series can get cancelled for all I care, to be honest.
 

StrangerAtaru

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2008
Messages
1,452
Reaction score
294
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Togashi crashed at the beginning of a series? Odd, I thought he usually crashes at the end...
What I was trying to say was this: "Ten de Showaru Cupid" ran in '89-'90, for about a half year or a bit more in time and actually had two covers...I guess the point I was trying to say is that there can be a mangaka with a ton of potential (Togashi) who gets two covers with their first cover but eventually it could still end. Of course, since then it's all been hits. (though Cupid is a fun little series)
 

SSJWill4

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Feb 1, 2009
Messages
132
Reaction score
38
Age
42
Gender
Male
Country
United States
What I was trying to say was this: "Ten de Showaru Cupid" ran in '89-'90, for about a half year or a bit more in time and actually had two covers...I guess the point I was trying to say is that there can be a mangaka with a ton of potential (Togashi) who gets two covers with their first cover but eventually it could still end. Of course, since then it's all been hits. (though Cupid is a fun little series)
Has anyone ever translated/scanlated this series? It's the only series Togashi has done that I can't find.
 

Imitorar

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 15, 2006
Messages
1,990
Reaction score
270
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
United States
What I was trying to say was this: "Ten de Showaru Cupid" ran in '89-'90, for about a half year or a bit more in time and actually had two covers...I guess the point I was trying to say is that there can be a mangaka with a ton of potential (Togashi) who gets two covers with their first cover but eventually it could still end. Of course, since then it's all been hits. (though Cupid is a fun little series)
Yeah, I realize that that was your point. I just wanted to mock Togashi, because the last two volumes of Yu Yu Hakusho annoy me, and what Hunter X Hunter has become is pathetic.
 

StrangerAtaru

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2008
Messages
1,452
Reaction score
294
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Has anyone ever translated/scanlated this series? It's the only series Togashi has done that I can't find.
I've been contemplating doing it myself but I am a bit tied up with a lot others.
 

kim09

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Dec 18, 2008
Messages
19
Reaction score
1
Gender
Male
Country
Malaysia
i'm just curious

how long can one series survive until it is axed if it stays at the bottom?
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
It depends at what point they fell to the bottom. Series that debut in the bottom five usually get two volumes worth of chapters. If they have protection, like Asklepios had Bari Haken and Chagecha, they can last three or four volumes. Series that debut high but drop after three or four months almost always make it past a year. Some, like Sket Dance and Psyren, find an audience and start to rise again. Others, like Usagi or P2, can still make it another six months at the bottom.
 

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
p2 went at the bottom till volume 1 came out, then suddenly rocked the casbah so it's a hard one to analyse, but basically the length a series can stay at the bottom is determined by storys nearest exit poitn and how old the series itself is. oh and volume sales if its far on.

lets say a newbie crashes and burns, most expect anywhere between 16 to 25 chapters (2-3 volumes worth)
 

kim09

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Dec 18, 2008
Messages
19
Reaction score
1
Gender
Male
Country
Malaysia
That sucks for meister if it stay at the bottom. How can it end after only 16-25 chapters? About Samurai Usagi, is there any new Edited Mangas? I read until chapter 10 then I couldn't find chapter 11 onwards.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
That sucks for meister if it stay at the bottom. How can it end after only 16-25 chapters? About Samurai Usagi, is there any new Edited Mangas? I read until chapter 10 then I couldn't find chapter 11 onwards.
Usagi hasn't been translated in a long time.

Meister could potentially end as by chapter with less then 15 chapters. New series will be coming in March, Meister will end in time to let one of them in. It can end that early because it's rankings indicate a near total rejection by the people who buy Jump. It's not like Meister has to compete with a lot of series. Mago and Psyren have to compete with the action series for votes. Meister only has Eyeshield and another new series to compete with among sports fans. Kuroko seems to have won over that demographic, at least for now.

P2 was a weird example but it did spend enough time in the middle of the mag to warrant over a year of serialization.
 

Sexy Randal 105

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2007
Messages
1,052
Reaction score
37
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
United States
That sucks for meister if it stay at the bottom. How can it end after only 16-25 chapters? About Samurai Usagi, is there any new Edited Mangas? I read until chapter 10 then I couldn't find chapter 11 onwards.
I really wish people would finish Editing Samurai Usagi. I would still like to read it.
 

kim09

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Dec 18, 2008
Messages
19
Reaction score
1
Gender
Male
Country
Malaysia
I really wish people would finish Editing Samurai Usagi. I would still like to read it.
Yeah, and I wonder why there are loads of groups Editing Naruto eventhough there are tons of other good manga to scan?
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Yeah, and I wonder why there are loads of groups Editing Naruto eventhough there are tons of other good manga to scan?
I could make a list of series I'd like to see scanlated rather than version 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6 of Naruto. None of them would be Jump or former Jump series but whatever.

As long as Naruto gets huge download numbers and attracts people to forums groups will scanlate it. There will always be groups who don't know enough about manga to scanlate anything else. Whatever.
 

DeidaraGrimmjow

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 1, 2008
Messages
792
Reaction score
101
Gender
Male
Country
United States
When in March are the new series coming out? Early, middle or late?
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Won't know till the announcements are made. It also depends on how many series are coming. With Asklepios canceled I assume they plan on adding at least one series. Also, it's just about time for Hunter x Hunter to come back.
 

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
P2 was a weird example but it did spend enough time in the middle of the mag to warrant over a year of serialization.
and in the top 5. funny thing is that when it was finally ended just past it's year mark (giving it a pretty good second cover i might add) the final two volumes were released at once, and sold quite well..

and wasnt doing TOO badly in the TOC (think psyren/sket dance combined) so it really shoulda kept going


anyway yeah new series! hunter x hunter SHOULD return, if the pattern is permanent.
also new series around the time of issues 14, 15, 16 in varying amounts (last year we had three series and HxH, year before just Usagi and Volleyball Tsukai Gouda Go) so... yeah
 

Rejuvenation

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2009
Messages
952
Reaction score
103
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Wait, when was it announced that HunterXHunter was coming back? Last I checked there wasn't any set time frame. I thought it was whether Togashi felt like being lazy or not.

Also I don't mind Meister getting the boot. Now that Asklepios is gone as well that would leave 2 spots for new series to come in.
 

Koen

Celestial Belgian
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2006
Messages
13,821
Reaction score
3,547
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
i'm just curious

how long can one series survive until it is axed if it stays at the bottom?
You can't know that for 100% sure. It will probably depend from the merciness of the chief-editor

Y to M contractor and jumbor (or whatever takei's manga name was) were cancelled after 10 chapters iirc. Fast if you have asked me with the knowledge something like asklepios could have ended back then. We'll see if meister will get a boost (like P2) if not then do they want space/ a free spot?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top