Discussion - Official Dragon Slayers Thread | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
I have been thinking about this for a while; why did the dragons teach a bunch of kids the dragon slaying magic?

On a first impression it would seem kind of dumb for a dragon to teach someone the magic that would be specifically serves the purpose of killing dragons. Another thing I find unusual is that the dragon slaying magic makes the user have the physical constitution of a dragon. Why would the very magic which is meant to kill a dragon give the user such an affinity to a dragon? IMHO none of that makes sense.

What all of this made me wonder is whether the dragons taught those kids such a magic for so that they may kill them at some point. For instance igneel taught natsu the fire dragon slaying so that natsu could kill him at some point for some reason. That would of course suggest there is a reason to eradicate the dragons.

Now, we have seen the name zereff pop out quite a few times in the manga. He has been a mayor driving force behind most if not all of the arcs in the story. The death flute at the beginning of the manga, deliora, tower of paradise. Basically grey and erza are who they are because of some direct or indirect connection to zerref.

We have also seen natsu and lucy are connected to the number 7. Lucy showed her mom died in july, the day 7 in the year 777. We know the dragons left 7 years ago. If lucy's mom died 7 years ago, it would mean it was at the same time the dragons disappeared.

Now seeing everything, it would seem it is likely zeref is linked to the number 7. If that's the case, then zeref would have some connection to basically every event which has defined the main characters and most importantly to the dragons.

Maybe with zerefs awakening it will become a necessity to kill the dragons which is why the dragons chose a bunch of kids to slay them at some point.

Above I included what I thought were important points regarding the topic and a theory of mine. Even though I added a theory of mine, feel free to discuss things which would be out of the bounds of my theory as long as it involves anything regarding the ultimate purpose of the dragon slaying magic.

edit: A more recent find(technically not recent, I just recently noticed it lol)
I just found something else which further suggests there is a deep relationship between zerref, the dragons and the dragon slayers:
http://www.onemanga.com/Fairy_Tail/46/13/
Gerard has been planning something with the DS from the very beginning. I have no clue about what it could possible be though. Safest assumption would be that zerefs awakening has something to do with the DS and the dragons.

Last edited:

hongoasdf

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Chile
Re: Purpose of the dragon slayer

I pretty much thought of the same.

But in my opinion, for Zeref to resurrect, the Dragons must be alive. Seeing as he is an evil mage, the Dragons saw fit to teach their adopted human sons the only magic capable of destroying them, thus preventing Zeref's resurrection.

Well, that's the most basic thing I could come up with, but Lucy's mother (And Lucy, seeing that she carries her blood) will have a pretty big role in the future.

Also, this has been mentioned quite a few times already, but there are probably seven Dragon Slayers, and seven Dragons (Maybe eight, considering the "Dragon King Feast" or something like that which was mencioned by Grandine in chapter... 101?)

Now, this seven Dragons (And their respective childs) have an affinity to some element

Considering Gazilles metal affinity, there is a high chance that Mashima is using the chinese "Wu Xing" elements, which are Fire, Water, Wood, Earth and Metal. But that would render us short on two elements, so I may be wrong, or Mashima simply decided to add two more random elements:Air/Heaven/Wahetever for Wendy, and one more which could be... I don't know, the REAL lightning Dragon Slayer, or maybe some element like Ice or Darkness, who knows.

Only time will tell.

Unlucky Boy

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Israel

I believe the dragons themselfs are the keys for the zeref seal. The dragons somehow knew Grimoire Heart are planning to capture and control them in order to free Zeref so each one trained his child so that they could kill them if it comes to that. Remember how Urtear said she can manipulate any creature? http://www.onemanga.com/Fairy_Tail/42/12/

About Lucy's mother, it may sound crazy but maybe she is a dragon? In Rave the dragons had a human form so the dragons in FT might be able to change into human form as well. Supposed it's true Layla didnt die in 777, but rather just disappeared with the rest of the dragons. And if that is true then Lucy was supposed to be a dragon slayer?
The fantasy seven elements are- Fire (Natsu), Air (Wendy), Metal (Gazil), Water, Wood, Earth and Aether. Aether means the pure essence where the gods lived and which they breathed (The stellar spirit plane?). I dont know why Lucy wasnt trained like the others (maybe because of her father?) but if this crazy theory might be true she must be the dragon slayer of aether. She is the main character and Aether is the main element that is composed of all the others. It also reminds of Elie which had the power of Aetherion.

Last edited:

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation

In phantom guild, there was the element 4. Each represented one element which were air, water, fire and earth. So far two out of this four have a confirmed dragon slayer which obviously are wendy and natsu. If those are really elements maybe we should expect to see a water and an earth dragon slayer in the future.

I doubt layla or lucy are dragons but I do believe they will eventually serve a deeper purpose in the story.

Ero-Sanji

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Sweden

I thought Jura was a dragon slayer because of the Hat and the scale marks on his arms but it's quite clear that he isn't....

The only elements we know are Fire, Metal and Sky/Air. The ancient Greeks thought of a new element besides the typical four and that was Aether. That would probably be the magic Lucy will learn cause it sorta fits with the case about her mother.

But according to the Godai Sky and Air is not the same which makes me believe that if Midnight is a dragonslayer he will be the dragonslayer of air.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation

At first I thought the guy was a DS too. I guess mashima wanted to throw us off with that one.

I don't think there will be an air and sky DS. For one thing, both of them would eat air.

Ero-Sanji

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Sweden

Maybe, maybe not.

The reason why i think they are is that it would sorta fit with the arc. Midnight the fierce demon vs Wendy the little innocent lass. Both of them has the same type of element but not the same area kinda like metal, earth and wood or Water and Ice and maybe just maybe Fire and lava...

Now according to the Godai Sky is one thing and Air/wind another and since the Godai is a japanese philosophy it really fits.

And in the end it will be Midnight vs Wendy and Natsu battle of the dragons!!

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation

I just found something else which further suggests there is a deep relationship between zerref, the dragons and the dragon slayers:
Gerard has been planning something with the DS from the very beginning. I have no clue about what it could possible be though. Safest assumption would be that zerefs awakening has something to do with the DS and the dragons.

I will add this to the opening post.

Unlucky Boy

Reaction score
Country
Israel

I will add this to the opening post.
I remember this, and there's also this page http://www.onemanga.com/Fairy_Tail/23/20/

Does that mean that Gerard knew that Urtear is fooling him and that the tower of paradise isnt the real way to revive Zeref?

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation

I do not see how the link you provided suggest what you said about him knowing about urtear fooling him. Could you elaborate on that?

Unlucky Boy

Reaction score
Country
Israel

Well it is certain that Gerard knows something about Natsu (and Igneel as well) and like you said before it is probably because he needs them for reviving Zeref (Maybe thats also why he helped Wendy, he needs the DS to grow strong). And if he knows thats the real way to do it he must know Urtear is manipulating him.

Something else I just realised while writing this message- Gerard and Mistgun arent the same person. Mistgun should know already that Natsu is in FT.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation

Well it is certain that Gerard knows something about Natsu (and Igneel as well) and like you said before it is probably because he needs them for reviving Zeref (Maybe thats also why he helped Wendy, he needs the DS to grow strong). And if he knows thats the real way to do it he must know Urtear is manipulating him.

Something else I just realised while writing this message- Gerard and Mistgun arent the same person. Mistgun should know already that Natsu is in FT.
That is true. I think mistgun is gerards actual twin brother(which will be a fun revelation considering seiglien claimed to be gerards brother when he was actually gerard)

cleodux

Reaction score
Country
Singapore

Mitsgun said he knows Gerard but the later doesn't know him. I also don't think they are twin. One of them probably resulted from experiment product, or *guess what* time travelling. Can't help it just finished reading Rave not long ago... >.<

Now about Lucy's mother, i think i missed the part where and when actually she died. If she died at 7-7-777 thats mean she is part of the mystery too. Gah its like 9 Sept all over again lol. Mashima really likes to make us wondering. And like Unlucky Boy had state, she is probably the DS Aether user(if the crazy theory happen). It also will explain why Lucy will get the next 3 golden key if she is going to win Angel (because she still has a long way to go in term of power)

Mashima previous work Rave. The heroine of the story serves big purposes, so i believe Lucy will has too, but what we still don't know.

Unlucky Boy

Reaction score
Country
Israel

Mitsgun said he knows Gerard but the later doesn't know him. I also don't think they are twin. One of them probably resulted from experiment product, or *guess what* time travelling. Can't help it just finished reading Rave not long ago... >.<

Now about Lucy's mother, i think i missed the part where and when actually she died. If she died at 7-7-777 thats mean she is part of the mystery too. Gah its like 9 Sept all over again lol. Mashima really likes to make us wondering. And like Unlucky Boy had state, she is probably the DS Aether user(if the crazy theory happen). It also will explain why Lucy will get the next 3 golden key if she is going to win Angel (because she still has a long way to go in term of power)

Mashima previous work Rave. The heroine of the story serves big purposes, so i believe Lucy will has too, but what we still don't know.
The exact date of Layla's death wasnt told but the year she died is engraved on her grave http://www.onemanga.com/Fairy_Tail/68/16/
And we all know it cant be a coincidence that she supposedly died on the same year the dragons disappeared.

Oh and I'm glad to see someone actually thinks my theory may be true =p

Edit:
something I just thought about... if Lucy is really an aether magic user she may be able to power up any elemental magic as aether is composed of all the elements. Thats maybe how she powered up Juvia's water, achieving magical fusion or unison raid or whatever http://www.onemanga.com/Fairy_Tail/87/17/

Last edited:

hongoasdf

Reaction score
Country
Chile

I'm starting to like your theory about Aether and Lucy's mother. I mean, Mashima does like to make similarities between Rave and Fairy Tail, so making Aether the ultimate element, and making the heroine the key to that element could be possible.

Regardless of that, it is obvious that Lucy's mother will be very important in the future of the series. Maybe the Heartphilia familiy was something like... an ancient royal family of sorts. Would help explain why they are so influential in the present of the series.

Anyways, it's still a long way until the Dragon arc, presumably the last arc of the series. Let's hope Mashima's got something big in mind.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation

What exactly is arther? Shouldn't that be like wendy's magic?

Unlucky Boy

Reaction score
Country
Israel

What exactly is arther? Shouldn't that be like wendy's magic?
Wendy's magic is "sky magic" and I think it can be considered as a type of air magic because she eats air. I dont think there's going to be another air/wind DS since they'll have to eat the same thing.

Aether is an element the ancient greeks believed fills the region where the gods lived and it's equivalent to our air. It is also composed of all the other basic elements, making it the main element.

We already know this element exists in the FT world, known as Aetherion and it's really composed of other elements http://www.onemanga.com/Fairy_Tail/98/04/

Also judging from the descripition of aether, it might be possible that this element is what the stellar spirit world is made of, knowing normal people cant even breath there http://www.onemanga.com/Fairy_Tail/17/11/
And that can explain why Lucy is a steallr spirit mage and not something else... I actually thinks she inherited her first keys from her mother, I dont see her getting 3 golden keys on her own...

hongoasdf

Reaction score
Country
Chile

Good Call. I'm getting ever more convinced of your Lucy-Aetherion theory.

cleodux

Reaction score
Country
Singapore

Wendy's magic is "sky magic"
Also judging from the descripition of aether, it might be possible that this element is what the stellar spirit world is made of, knowing normal people cant even breath there http://www.onemanga.com/Fairy_Tail/17/11/
And that can explain why Lucy is a steallr spirit mage and not something else... I actually thinks she inherited her first keys from her mother, I dont see her getting 3 golden keys on her own...
*sweats* now that i think of it, Lucy only been away for what 2 years? and she couldn't posibbly can get 3 Gk on her own, more over Aquarious is still hostile towards her. But 2 Years is a long time, she could get on her own too.

Back to DS purposes. I think it will be sad you know... for the dragons to train humans just to make them kill yourself. What if they train them for upcoming battle at Dragon Feast festival, something like Battle Royal >.<and the winner will defend their magical world againts Zeref. What if the reason why Natsu and Gazille can't pass through the barrier not only because of their age, but because their nature. (non human) So they are actually dragon race who trained under different Master and somehow for obvious reason forgot about that. They think that they are human, it gives me creep to see Gazille eating all the metal scrap and he can stomach them lol.

Well anyway it is only my random imagination. But if Mashima is really like to use things from Rave universe and apply to Fairy Tail, it is possible to expect another apocalypse end of the world judgement day plot story towards the end. It will be cliche but if he can execute better why not.

Unlucky Boy

Reaction score
Country
Israel

I think it will be sad you know... for the dragons to train humans just to make them kill yourself. What if they train them for upcoming battle at Dragon Feast festival, something like Battle Royal >.<and the winner will defend their magical world againts Zeref. What if the reason why Natsu and Gazille can't pass through the barrier not only because of their age, but because their nature. (non human) So they are actually dragon race who trained under different Master and somehow for obvious reason forgot about that. They think that they are human, it gives me creep to see Gazille eating all the metal scrap and he can stomach them lol.
It's not that rare to see such sad stories in Mashima's works...
Anyway if it ever comes to that I'm sure Natsu and the others wont kill the dragons, saying "there must be another way!". And Zeref will return for sure cause the battle against him is going to end up the manga probably, so the dragons can't die.