Discussion Hunter x Hunter Hangout [00]

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheAmericandream

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 7, 2012
Messages
521
Reaction score
152
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Hunter x Hunter Hangout Thread

I know it will be a LONG time, but I've recently preferred waiting for the Viz translation before giving a final verdict on any translation for Hunter so far. I've preferred their translation for most of NGL anyway. I'd love to get a list of inaccuracies or vizism's people think are out of line or areas where the translation far outshines the Edited Mangas. I remember this in particular was a laughable moment in the Edited Manga:



"The Band" ...um Phantom Troupe? I'm gonna be hunting for a while? Isn't the line meant to be "It's time to hunt down the spiders" This is way off. I wonder if that part about "Hisoka understands that he's the strongest" is even close to accurate now.
 

steadynco

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Feb 9, 2012
Messages
119
Reaction score
46
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
Re: Hunter x Hunter Hangout Thread

I know it will be a LONG time, but I've recently preferred waiting for the Viz translation before giving a final verdict on any translation for Hunter so far. I've preferred their translation for most of NGL anyway. I'd love to get a list of inaccuracies or vizism's people think are out of line or areas where the translation far outshines the Edited Mangas. I remember this in particular was a laughable moment in the Edited Manga.

"The Band" ...um Phantom Troupe? I'm gonna be hunting for a while? Isn't the line meant to be "It's time to hunt down the spiders" This is way off. I wonder if that part about "Hisoka understands that he's the strongest" is even close to accurate now.
I have the Japanese volume in front of me. "The band" does refer to the Ryodan/Troupe but Hisoka only thinks "It's about time to hunt", not specifying the Ryodan (although probably implying this). "Hisoka understands that he's the strongest" is accurate.
 

TheAmericandream

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 7, 2012
Messages
521
Reaction score
152
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Hunter x Hunter Hangout Thread

Oh okay. I'll shut up then. I just think for an english translation "the band" is really vague. I like how viz handled it personally. "time to hunt the spiders" and saying their name Phantom troupe in full. The very literal translations sometimes come off confusing to English readers.
 

futurefrog

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 4, 2012
Messages
1,023
Reaction score
999
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
Re: Hunter x Hunter Hangout Thread

I think Hunter x Hunter is the best translation work Viz has EVER done. I own both English and Japanese volumes, speak both languages and can honestly say that I think Viz did an amazing job. There are some things that don't translate well at all no matter what (like some of Hisoka's riddles) but Viz handlethem all in a way that the meaning is still retained and makes sense for English readers. Not only that, but I feel that compared to other manga they have done (Reborn for example) they seem to respect HxH much more. They clearly spent more time and put much more effort into accuracy. I recommend the Viz releases to anyone.
 

TheAmericandream

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 7, 2012
Messages
521
Reaction score
152
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Hunter x Hunter Hangout Thread

Yea I wish I could find HxH in stores now, I should have collected the books when they were coming out I guess. Are there any books people have found particularly hard to track down (even online)?
 

futurefrog

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 4, 2012
Messages
1,023
Reaction score
999
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
Re: Hunter x Hunter Hangout Thread

A few of Viz volumes of HxH are out of print, I was lucky enough to have a few volumes in a local bookstore (not a chain bookstore, just a small family owned) that was selling from like 8-17 real cheap, so I grabbed them all (2 of them are actually out of print and sell online for over 200 dollars). Was lucky I guess.
 

steadynco

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Feb 9, 2012
Messages
119
Reaction score
46
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
Re: Hunter x Hunter Hangout Thread

A few of Viz volumes of HxH are out of print, I was lucky enough to have a few volumes in a local bookstore (not a chain bookstore, just a small family owned) that was selling from like 8-17 real cheap, so I grabbed them all (2 of them are actually out of print and sell online for over 200 dollars). Was lucky I guess.
over $200??? compared to how much i pay for my japanese ones ($1-2 second-hand, $4 new). it's a great incentive to learn japanese haha.
 

futurefrog

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 4, 2012
Messages
1,023
Reaction score
999
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
Re: Hunter x Hunter Hangout Thread

over $200??? compared to how much i pay for my japanese ones ($1-2 second-hand, $4 new). it's a great incentive to learn japanese haha.
Haha indeed. I own both language releases lol I hope Togashi has some of that money lol. When I go back to Japan I'm gonna picked up Volume 30 :)
 

Naruto2011

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 1, 2009
Messages
1,725
Reaction score
706
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Hunter x Hunter Hangout Thread

hey guys! i never posted in the Hunter x Hunter section before, but i gotta say I LOVE THIS MANGA! i checked it out first online to get a feel for the series and i just fell in love with it! Its definitely in my top 3 favorite manga! So i decided to go to my local bookstore and i bought all of the volumes that they had ( i have like up to 22 or 23 something) and ive read the rest online. Ive also looked at the old anime and also i have watched the new anime series. Togashi is indeed a BEAST!
 

brigid001

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jul 5, 2009
Messages
138
Reaction score
99
Gender
Female
Country
Ireland
Re: Hunter x Hunter Hangout Thread

hey guys! i never posted in the Hunter x Hunter section before, but i gotta say I LOVE THIS MANGA! i checked it out first online to get a feel for the series and i just fell in love with it! Its definitely in my top 3 favorite manga! So i decided to go to my local bookstore and i bought all of the volumes that they had ( i have like up to 22 or 23 something) and ive read the rest online. Ive also looked at the old anime and also i have watched the new anime series. Togashi is indeed a BEAST!
Welcome to the forum =D I'm glad to see hxh gaining more fans!! It really deserves it. I'm guessing this is the first hiatus you have been through then? I hope you stick with the manga despite the hiatuses :tem
 

TheAmericandream

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 7, 2012
Messages
521
Reaction score
152
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Hunter x Hunter Hangout Thread

Welcome welcome Naruto2011 :) Glad to see more Hunter fans joining the flock. Yea I've been contemplating buying Yorknew arc (my favorite part of 1999 anime) in manga form, but volume 8 and 9 seem almost impossible to track down now. One place I've turned to for obscure manga is anime conventions, next time I go to one I'll see if I can find some rare volumes there. Volume 18, and 14 are also really rare (Greed Island). I'd love to see Viz big editions for Hunter X Hunter. I really hope we do get the 2011 anime on television and blu-ray in US. It could mean video games, anime film blu-rays, toys, and a re-release of the manga. Those would be amazing things to look forward to.
 

Crude

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 16, 2007
Messages
2,698
Reaction score
693
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
Re: Hunter x Hunter Hangout Thread

Are the old volumes really that hard to find? If so that's a little odd considering that the series hasn't been discontinued or anything. There was this shop not too far from where I live which sold a lot of cool manga and comic book series, but then it unexpectedly closed. I should've grabbed the Hunter x Hunter volumes when I had the chance!
 

Uriel

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Apr 11, 2007
Messages
6,406
Reaction score
4,075
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Re: Hunter x Hunter Hangout Thread

Yes, YES. More HxH fans. MOOOOOAR.
 

perroloco

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 8, 2008
Messages
1,056
Reaction score
915
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Mexico
Re: Hunter x Hunter Hangout Thread

I find it extremelly weird that every volume that is obscenely high-priced features Kurapika on the cover..
Volume 8,9,14 and 18.. I mean 8 and 9 I understand since its Yorkshin and its a pretty good arc but what is volumes 14 and 18?? Isn't 14 like the Start of Greed Island.. 18 is the final?
 

TheAmericandream

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 7, 2012
Messages
521
Reaction score
152
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Hunter x Hunter Hangout Thread

Yea 18 is Gon vs Bomber's party and the first 3 chapters of NGL, so start of NGL arc. 14 is like training with Biscuit. GI technically starts in volume 13. So yea, I think its Kurapika fans snatching up the volumes! I find that hilarious that you've solved the puzzle of the missing volumes!
Covers:







They're all going for between 23 (used)-50 dollars new. I'm sure it will only get worse unless they decide to reprint them.
 

Naruto2011

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 1, 2009
Messages
1,725
Reaction score
706
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Hunter x Hunter Hangout Thread

yea this managa dserves alot more attention than what it gets. Im honestly surprised that it isnt as popular as mangas like one piece or naruto because its definitely up there! oh im definitely sticking with this, this stuff is pure gold. How long do the hiatuses usually last? it ended at such a high point with beyond netero and venturing to a new planet and the zodiacs, im itching for news of the mangas return
 

TheAmericandream

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 7, 2012
Messages
521
Reaction score
152
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Hunter x Hunter Hangout Thread

Hiatus lengths vary, but we're hoping this one doesn't last too long. Maybe a few months to half a year? With the new anime out I'm patient anyway.
 

Naruto2011

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 1, 2009
Messages
1,725
Reaction score
706
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Hunter x Hunter Hangout Thread

BTW i have the York New volumes and Greed Island, i have it all the way up to the Chimera Ant arc to like volume 24

---------- Post added at 12:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:15 PM ----------

oh jeez, haha well at least we have the anime to watch
 

Noonealive

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2012
Messages
282
Reaction score
180
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Hunter x Hunter Hangout Thread

yea this managa dserves alot more attention than what it gets. Im honestly surprised that it isnt as popular as mangas like one piece or naruto because its definitely up there! oh im definitely sticking with this, this stuff is pure gold. How long do the hiatuses usually last? it ended at such a high point with beyond netero and venturing to a new planet and the zodiacs, im itching for news of the mangas return
I feel you man. Ever since i caught up the the manga my whole perspective on it changed.It's seriously the only reason why i joined a forum to tell you the truth. I needed to know other peoples opinions and prediction's and such because it brings a lot of that on to the table. In time i believe HxH will be up there in popularity. The new anime keeps to be drawing more and more fans which is the cool part.

---------- Post added at 12:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:27 PM ----------

Yeah i want my first hiatus experience to be short!!! lol
 

Crude

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 16, 2007
Messages
2,698
Reaction score
693
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
Re: Hunter x Hunter Hangout Thread

I just checked Amazon.co.uk and it seems to have the volumes in stock. And they're pretty cheap too! Seeing as a lot of stuff is overpriced in Portugal when compared to the UK I tend to just order stuff online.

As for the hiatuses, something tells me that seeing Hunter x Hunter has a new anime series and the fact that the series as media franchise seems to have revived, Togashi will probably be going on shorter breaks. His latest run was the longest yet which makes me think that he's putting more effort into the series.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top