Shounen Haikyuu!! by FURUDATE Haruichi

FrostyMouse

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 18, 2011
Messages
7,395
Reaction score
1,302
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Why "disappointing"? What were you expecting?
I was somehow expecting something less shouneny. If the Japanese loved the series so much, I was expecting something a little different, as Nakama Power is often present.
 

Koen

Celestial Belgian
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2006
Messages
13,821
Reaction score
3,547
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
Great chapters,

This arc is definitely meant to stress out the growth and the change of attitude both Hinata and Kageyama have to make. I wouldn't be surprised if this game wouldn't be eventually about winning only. I would love it if Hinata and Kageyama lose but are allowed in the club. Eventually, they both shouldn't be happy and aim to become better as a team. Their play is fantastic at this moment.

---------- Post added at 11:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:20 AM ----------

I was somehow expecting something less shouneny. If the Japanese loved the series so much, I was expecting something a little different, as Nakama Power is often present.
Then you don't have to read WSJ, it's one of the three famous values which are part of wsj manga

I love it because there's a lot of narration/thoughts in it
 

FrostyMouse

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 18, 2011
Messages
7,395
Reaction score
1,302
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Great chapters,

This arc is definitely meant to stress out the growth and the change of attitude both Hinata and Kageyama have to make. I wouldn't be surprised if this game wouldn't be eventually about winning only. I would love it if Hinata and Kageyama lose but are allowed in the club. Eventually, they both shouldn't be happy and aim to become better as a team. Their play is fantastic at this moment.

---------- Post added at 11:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:20 AM ----------



Then you don't have to read WSJ, it's one of the three famous values which are part of wsj manga

I love it because there's a lot of narration/thoughts in it
I was mainly arguing about how the page 4 sidebar goes, "Nakama Power." Just because I don't agree with it being part of everything doesn't make me wrong, nor should it make me stop reading shounen...Yes, Nakama Power is a big part of shounen, but approach it in a better manner than just throwing it in your face. Not every manga relies on Nakama power anyway.

Kageyama and Hinata have a good partnership going right now, but I would agree that it would be better if they lost. We'll see what happens, however.
 

k-dom

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jan 5, 2008
Messages
6,280
Reaction score
2,460
Gender
Male
Country
France
Well i think nakama here refers to team spirit which is quite important for a team sport and in the end the objective of this match.
Maybe it would have been better to translate it than let it in japanese
 

Galactic Tomahawk

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 24, 2008
Messages
797
Reaction score
132
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Yeah, I think that was a casualty of the translation.

http://www.mangareader.net/haikyu/8/8

Great page IMO, Furudate has a really good sense of composition when it comes to this kind of stuff.
 

Koen

Celestial Belgian
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2006
Messages
13,821
Reaction score
3,547
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
Yeah, I think that was a casualty of the translation.

http://www.mangareader.net/haikyu/8/8

Great page IMO, Furudate has a really good sense of composition when it comes to this kind of stuff.
Yes, I love those kind of pages too. I still love this one a lot

He manages to create nice panels by which it becomes less static.

Anyway, chapter 9 made the test game end. You can clearly feel that Tsukishima will have a character development too.
 

FrostyMouse

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 18, 2011
Messages
7,395
Reaction score
1,302
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Chapter 10 was entertaining. I'm worried that they're getting along together too easily and too quickly. The, "My practice opponent is one of the prefecture or nation's best 4" crap has been done so many times though, but that's not Furudate's fault. I don't like the propensity to do that in any sports series.
 

Estranho

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Oct 4, 2008
Messages
282
Reaction score
74
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I'm worried that they're getting along together too easily and too quickly.
What?! This series is in Shonen Jump; the pattern is to have a friendship made in 2, 3 chapter. We had 10, almost 2 volumes just for that. And you call that "quickly"? Oh man...
 

k-dom

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jan 5, 2008
Messages
6,280
Reaction score
2,460
Gender
Male
Country
France
Well after the last 2 chapters I'm not sure we can speak of friendship yet :-))
They were funny though. Poor Hinata, I wonder how he can recover
 

lynxian

Translator
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jun 24, 2009
Messages
103
Reaction score
162
Age
41
Gender
Female
Country
United States
I honestly fell in love with this series early on (like I'd be translating it otherwise!), and it never fails to make me smile. This is coming from someone who generally doesn't read sports manga, which probably says a lot. I'm not sure if the Japanese audience likes it for the same reasons I do, but I hope it gets a nice, long run. Even though I'm still working to catch up to the raws... @_@ But I'm only 3 chapters behind, now! Granted, the Edited Mangas are more like... 6 chapters behind, but...
 

k-dom

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jan 5, 2008
Messages
6,280
Reaction score
2,460
Gender
Male
Country
France
In this last chapter one can really see how the peculiar art is a plus to the serie.
But now that they have won against one of the best team, I guess the time of defeat will come...
 

Drmke

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 22, 2009
Messages
4,224
Reaction score
1,235
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Palestine
Really interesting choice by Furudate to introduce the Grand King and then have Hinata show him up by gaining the last point before t Oikawa could turn the game around, I really enjoyed it. Also the action scenes at the end were amazing looking.
 

FrostyMouse

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 18, 2011
Messages
7,395
Reaction score
1,302
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Indeed. I'll be looking forward to the rematch between Hinata/Kagayama vs Oikawa in the tournament whenever it'll be. Furudate's art is looking better and clearer, and while I was originally unsure of whether the art would work for this series (although I didn't have a problem with it), it's proved to be very fitting.

---------- Post added July 06, 2012 at 11:39 AM ---------- Previous post was July 04, 2012 at 10:20 PM ----------

Chapter 15 arrives: http://www.mangahere.com/manga/haikyu/c015/

---------- Post added at 12:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:39 AM ----------

Who wagers that the "Guardian Diety" will be able to dart around and intercept any serve, allowing the entire team to be more offensive? We'll say goodbye to Enoshita, the wing spiker, who never did anything. Doesn't the normal setter also need to get into the team though? That seems to leave us with an extra player, I think.
 

lynxian

Translator
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jun 24, 2009
Messages
103
Reaction score
162
Age
41
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Who wagers that the "Guardian Diety" will be able to dart around and intercept any serve, allowing the entire team to be more offensive? We'll say goodbye to Enoshita, the wing spiker, who never did anything. Doesn't the normal setter also need to get into the team though? That seems to leave us with an extra player, I think.
:3 The "guardian deity" is actually a libero, which is basically an optional 7th player who specializes in defense. There IS another wing spiker in the future, though! And Suga actually gets to play setter in a game, too.
 

FrostyMouse

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 18, 2011
Messages
7,395
Reaction score
1,302
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
:3 The "guardian deity" is actually a libero, which is basically an optional 7th player who specializes in defense. There IS another wing spiker in the future, though! And Suga actually gets to play setter in a game, too.
Oh, really? Thanks. I wasn't sure if we'd ever really see a libero in this series. Another wing spiker? How many new players are going to be added? It's good that Suga actually gets to play, as I was worried that he wasn't going to, even though he was the regular setter.

What chapter are the raws up to these days?
 

Koen

Celestial Belgian
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2006
Messages
13,821
Reaction score
3,547
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
:3 The "guardian deity" is actually a libero, which is basically an optional 7th player who specializes in defense. There IS another wing spiker in the future, though! And Suga actually gets to play setter in a game, too.
Yeah, he is definitely the libero (guardian is a reference to defence)...

He isn't tall and let the libero be a position for smaller people. You also have to get the context. The grand king has a great serve but the team didn't have the player to defend such a serve. A libero is very defensive and thus their small length allows them to get close to the ground. The guy looks cool
 
Top