Re: The NFL Thread
I have to disagree about Smith's catches though. The second was flagged and then picked up, which I think was a good call.
I didn't watch Lewis vs. Gronkowski the entire game, so I can't say, but Lewis was penalized for Pass Interference/Holding/Illegal Contact against him at LEAST once in the game. So that didn't go unnoticed either.
I don't recall the exact play the illegal contact was called, but McCourty completely stepped in it by wrapping up Jacoby Jones...that cost the Patriots big.
You know, he's a neutral party and I'm a Pats fan, so we're always going to disagree with you on this one, Gary. You're a lot less likely/willing to see Ravens' players committing penalties than a neutral party or a fan of the opposition. The Ravens were actually called for more penalties for more yards, but our receivers weren't getting away with anything like yours were. Edelman got shoved and was being defended by a player who didn't even turn around or make a play on the ball, but somehow it's OFFENSIVE pass interference?
Expected? The Ravens were favored in the game.
Even with the legit referees the home team more often than not gets more calls. The fact is the Ravens haven't played the Patriots at home since 2007 when we nearly broke their winning streak and suspect officiating was responsible then...though not as awful overall. The last 3 matchups prior to this were on the road, with the Patriots winning two regular season matchups and losing one in the playoffs. They're both good franchises, so homefield advantage definitely plays into the record. It's not a case of them being divisional rivals and meeting home and away, it's just the way it shook out with the schedule-makers.
Learn to ignore the odds.
In the 2007 game, regardless of what you want to say about the officiating, if the Ravens had kept a timeout in that game, they would've won. If I remember the events correctly, the Ravens hurled it up and got down to like the two or three yard line and if there were a timeout remaining, I think they would've won, but there wasn't, so the clock ran out.
Based on the history between the two teams, and the fact that the only game the Ravens won was one where we were completely out of sorts after Welker was injured in the final week of the season, the Patriots should be slightly favored. The Patriots lost to the Cardinals the previous week in a poorly played game, but also through a missed Gostkowski FG, whereas the Ravens allowed Vick to turn it over so many times and still escape with the win.
Temporarily. They're smart to fix this ASAP, soon it'll be in the back of our thoughts I'm afraid.
I don't know about you, but I'm not going to be forgetting about this. When it comes time for the playoffs, we'll be thinking about this quite a lot, especially if the Ravens, Patriots, and Packers are involved in some tight, tight playoff races and/or home field advantage races.