Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2014] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,108
Reaction score
5,856
Age
33
Country
United States
I am all for discussing the new series of Stealth Symphony. :XD

I just hope we get scans fast enough, dunno about criteria for a series to do get scanned, but we are going to wait a while, not that much since the series looks promising.
Eh, we might have to wait a decent while actually since its being picked up by ESJ. Makes there less incentive for a scan group to pick it up.
 

101nemesis

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 16, 2012
Messages
3,086
Reaction score
7,183
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
India
Eh, we might have to wait a decent while actually since its being picked up by ESJ. Makes there less incentive for a scan group to pick it up.
Would it? I mean, every series on ESJ is picked up by some group. So I would have assumed someone would pick this up too.
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,108
Reaction score
5,856
Age
33
Country
United States
Would it? I mean, every series on ESJ is picked up by some group. So I would have assumed someone would pick this up too.
Every series on ESJ was already being scanlated prior to being on there except for World Trigger which has gone spurts without Edited Mangas and even has switched groups.
Plus its just common sense that it would be less likely to be picked up by groups if there is already an English version available online.
 

Kaizou 10

Banned
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 12, 2013
Messages
2,572
Reaction score
2,467
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
I forgot metion this.

It looks like Tokyo Wonder Boys (upcoming new series) going to focus on the professional soccer league, rather than the high school soccer league.
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,108
Reaction score
5,856
Age
33
Country
United States
I forgot metion this.

It looks like Tokyo Wonder Boys (upcoming new series) going to focus on the professional soccer league, rather than the high school soccer league.
...With how young the characters look that makes me apprehensious about the series. Also has there ever been a popular Jump sports series that wasn't set in school?
 

Kaizou 10

Banned
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 12, 2013
Messages
2,572
Reaction score
2,467
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Also has there ever been a popular Jump sports series that wasn't set in school?
Samurai Giants, Astro Kyuudan, Circuit no Ohkami, Susume! Pirates, Ring ni Kakero, and Midori no Makibaou

But, those are old titles, not much in recents.
 
Last edited:

WesKR

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Nov 27, 2013
Messages
168
Reaction score
105
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
Would it? I mean, every series on ESJ is picked up by some group. So I would have assumed someone would pick this up too.
ESJ has always been a good way to read new series, only a few though. Cross Manage, Jaco, Owari no Seraph, Rurouni Kenshin: Restoration and Yu-Gi-Oh Zexal are all series that Edited Manga groups pretty much gave up on and World Trigger was about 20 chapters a head of scan groups at one point in time.
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,108
Reaction score
5,856
Age
33
Country
United States
Samurai Giants, Astro Kyuudan, Circuit no Ohkami, Susume! Pirates, Ring ni Kakero, and Midori no Makibaou

But, those are old titles, not much in recents.
Huh, for some reason I thought Ring ni Kakero was Weekly Shonen Magazine.
Still though, Jump is a much different magazine from when all those series were serialized.
 

Kaizou 10

Banned
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 12, 2013
Messages
2,572
Reaction score
2,467
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
This Week's Jump Comic Sales:

03. Gintama #53 (66,292 / 269,638)
04. Shokugeki no Souma #6 (61,408 / 249,278)
36. World Trigger #4 (15,564 / 76,379)
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
It has nothing to do with importance of ranking and sales for me. Bleach is in it's last arc, it's been advertised as much. Assuming things will be different for it, is silly IMO. Fans may want it that way, and it MIGHT be allowed to end naturally, but what evidence is there to suggest it will be? Not saying it won't, I guess it isn't wise to assume either way.
I think Bleach will be able to end naturally, but that natural ending is around the corner. Kubo probably will not have the luxury of one hundred chapters to complete this arc. He probably will gte 50 - 70 chapters (sometime between November 2014 and February 2015), enough to work through the remaining fights in a reasonable amount of time. The days of eight chapter fights are over, except maybe Ichigo's final battle.

I know it is in last arc. But, the part which I don't get is people are saying that Bleach going to end by this year or shortly after.

I know it is in last arc, but I think Bleach will most likely going to continue for like few more years and I don't really see it'll end by this year.
After how much sales and rankings have declined, along with the end of the anime, I doubt Bleach will be allowed to stagger on for a few more years.

Yes, I understand Bleach has declined. BUT, you have to know that Bleach's popularity hasn't keep declining. As far as I know, I think the decline has stopped now and it is current keeping its popularity (well, it is less than before).
TOC rankings have bottomed out. Over a long enough timeline sales will follow.

Plus, Bleach is in final arc, so the editors don't really have to pressure Kubo to end by this year. It'll end naturally.
Yet the final cycle of fights is well underway. All that is left are the boss level characters.

It doesn't matter if its in its final arc.
Shaman King was also in its final arc when it was rushed and then axed, same with Nura.
I can't see Bleach being canceled in the short term. There is not much plot left, a natural ending won't take another 100 chapters. Kubo's editor probably is not allowing him to stretch fights out the way he did in Soul Society and Hueco Mundo. I dropped Bleach a month ago. At a glance the last few chapters seem more briskly paced then even Fullbring, but not rushed. Bleach's rankings have been bad for a few years now. I doubt they will suddenly cancel it, or rush the ending now. He's not getting an indefenite amount of time to write the ending, but it doesn't look like it will be rushed either.

Yeah, there aren't many Jump series that sell 500k, but there comes a certain point where its sales simply don't matter if its not popular in the magazine.
Bleach sells 500 - 600,000 now, but that is after a large decline. It's sales now are 25 - 30% below what they were when Aizen Arc ended. That is a huge decline. It's no wonder they have been promising an ending for a few years now.

I'm saying this again, if you guys think the ranking is more important than popularity, then Stone Ocean (part 6 of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure (I feel like people don't know that Stone Ocean is)) should have axed by like 3 volumes since it always stayed in last place (even hit last place for many times).
Rankings are popularity. They are based on a fan poll. Bleach's rankings show a pronounced, sustained drop in popularity. Stone Ocean is not a bad comparison, actually. Bleach began to drop in the rankings years ago, after the Aizen arc ended. If it were held to the same standard as Mago, Beelzebub, or Medaka Box it might have already been canceled. Stone Ocean lasted as long as it did because JoJo's was one of the most popular manga ever. Bleach has received similar treatment based on past glory. Stone Ocean was not allowed to last indefinitely. It was only serialized for about three years, comparable to Psyren or Muho to Rojie. The Quincy War began serialization two years ago. Even then it was advertised as the last arc. The final battle began last September. It is not as if the arc just began.

Then, I think you should actually bring examples for series that happened like Bleach (selling like 500k but had low ranking). There really aren't much examples like that.
Bleach is not a series that sells 500,000 copies but gets low rankings. It's a series that used to sell 800,000 copies per volume and rank high, but now sells 500,000, ranks low, and is almost three years into it's advertised final arc, with nothing but boss fights left.

Plus, do you actually think the young series like Nisekoi, Haikyuu, Saiki, WT, and SC(S) are actually more popular than Bleach based on just ranking. I think this part is also bias.
Yeah, I do. I follow more than just manga. Japanese sites and English. Bleach has extremely limited presence. Bleach barely made a dent at this years Comiket and Wonderfest. Kuroko is hugely popular right now, very heavily marketed and promoted. Nisekoi is doing very well, a series on the rise. The full effect of the anime probably won't be seen for a few months. It's early, but results look very good so far. It's still too early to judge Haikyuu, but it will have every opportunity to become a big hit. The anime will be airing in the same time slot Code Geass, Gundam 00, Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, and Magi aired in. Saiki is a gag series, and probably not a good comparison. World Trigger and Soul Catchers are too new to compare to an almost 13 year old manga.

I don't think so. That happened like more than 10 years ago, and its franchise isn't even big like today. Hack, from that time, it is like in same situation the current Bleach, and it really is hard to say that Stone Ocean's situation is separate from Bleach. You shouldn't think the current time's standard.
Stone Ocean was only serialized for about three years. Stone Ocean was comparable to Psyren or Muho.

It was. Plus, Jojo didn't really bring cultural relevancy; it become more like created really strong small number of fandoms, not as big as HxH or One Piece. Jojo just got attention recently; I think you don't really know about Jojo. :teehee
JoJo's is one of the most popular Jump franchises ever, a cultural touchstone. There is fanart of gold medal winning figure skater Yuzuru Hanyu drawn JoJo's style. JoJo's part I and II got an anime more than 25 years after serialization and it was a huge hit. JoJo's is above Hunter x Hunter, on the same tier as One Piece and Dragonball. JoJo's did not just get recent attention because of the anime, it's a hugely popular series that regularly appears on "top manga" of all time lists.

I'm not only talking about the sales. :p
Rankings have also been poor.

It had enormous amount of popularity back then, like many media attention.
The past is the past, it's a series in decline now.
 
Last edited:

Bomber D Rufi

Translator
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 3, 2006
Messages
3,930
Reaction score
5,624
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
Gotta say I'm more partial to Gintama's color page this week and Beel's final one than I am for the Stealth Symphony color spread. It's not bad or anything, but I see what some people were saying about the artist jam packing too much into too little space. It looks overly busy. In any case it has the same amount of potential as any other series that begins before or after it, and it is to be seen if it will live up to that. Maybe it will, maybe it won't. As of now it's just nice looking and nothing else, IMO.

I like I shoujo's art, but hate it's genre with a passion. The leads aren't terrible though so maybe if I can stomach it I'll read another week.

Gonna miss Beelze. It's always weird to see a long running series bow out. While Beelze wasn't revolutionary in any way it filled a nice little nitch in the comedy/action genre for quite a long time. Feels like shounen manga is either slapstick funny or dialog funny with both lines rarely crossing over. Beelze was one of those series that managed to do both really well, and for the most part be pretty action packed. I'm sad to see it go whether it was cancelled or ended naturally, and look forward to the side story in May's issue of Jump next.

I will say that this crop of newcomers has me actually reading Jump again (outside of Gintama, One piece and Assassination Classroom.) I still really don't care for it, but who knows where reading the anthology again will take me?
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,076
Reaction score
6,934
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I forgot metion this.

It looks like Tokyo Wonder Boys (upcoming new series) going to focus on the professional soccer league, rather than the high school soccer league.
Well thats rather unfortunate. High school setting is always perfect so this will be one odd series. Guess Haikyu and kurobas arent in any danger. Probably will follow TWB for aesthetics alone.
 

Kaizou 10

Banned
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 12, 2013
Messages
2,572
Reaction score
2,467
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Guess Haikyu and kurobas arent in any danger.
I doubt the story takes place in the professional setting will put Kuroko and Haikyuu in danger, though (well, those aren't in danger anyway).
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,076
Reaction score
6,934
Gender
Male
Country
United States
This Week's Jump Comic Sales:

03. Gintama #53 (66,292 / 269,638)
04. Shokugeki no Souma #6 (61,408 / 249,278)
36. World Trigger #4 (15,564 / 76,379)
I wonder where people pulled 80K from for World Trigger, sadly, just four k short. I imagine they did or will do a second printing. Series should be in the 750K - 1000K printing range.
 
Last edited:

Kaizou 10

Banned
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 12, 2013
Messages
2,572
Reaction score
2,467
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
I wonder where people pulled 80K from, sadly, just four k short. I imagine they did or will do a second printing. Series should be in the 750K - 1000K printing range.
Which series are you talking about?
 

Korean Kuroko

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Nov 27, 2013
Messages
210
Reaction score
38
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Puerto Rico
I already said that I'm going to stop, so I'm not sure how others going to do.

What about start this debate, since two out of four new series started, do you guys think Illegal Rare and/or I Shoujo have chance to survive or not?
Illegal Rare might have a shot. Of course this is me just looking at the RAW but while not exceedingly original it looks well made enough. I know someone compared the art to CLAMP and I would have to agree.
Read the RAW for IShojo but I have no idea what to make of it since I don't follow RomComs.
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,076
Reaction score
6,934
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I already said that I'm going to stop, so I'm not sure how others going to do.

What about start this debate, since two out of four new series started, do you guys think Illegal Rare and/or I Shoujo have chance to survive or not?
I like that Illegal Rare Axl has started to have a fandom forming at least, they really capture the best parts of the character and art. Sometimes number of fanart does serve as an indicator for series (exclude kiruko san)...so, as predicted, Illegal Rare is on a swift path to irrelevance.
 

Kaizou 10

Banned
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 12, 2013
Messages
2,572
Reaction score
2,467
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Sometimes number of fanart does serve as an indicator for series (exclude kiruko san)...
I don't think the number arts are a good indicator to predict the series' success, especially from online. I think the popularity from online is pretty biased.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top