Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2014] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,179
Reaction score
30,225
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
I very clearly in my first post mentioned that it doesn't matter if the guns don't have "real bullets" in them. American News Media doesn't care about that.
It's seeming like you guys don't even pay attention to the American media and how they interpret things like this.
No, how the media reacts to such things is kind of inconsequential. I think you're wrong for just assuming that any potential media attention it would get would change anything. Like it's a dead given that Viz is going to be under the gun (no pun intended) for this. It's pretty doubtful, in my eyes. But you're so adamant in this happening, it's almost like you want it to happen. Give me a break, whatever.
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,105
Reaction score
5,852
Age
33
Country
United States
What does that have to with anything? You think media-watchdog groups care about the intended audience at all? They think comics = kids. These groups operate with a clear agenda, and it isn't necessarily a well-meaning one either. They'll bend and twist whatever they want to fit their objective. Viz has nothing to worry about, in my eyes.
A series with a "cute" art-style and the concept it has will make for a much better media story than a series with a more mature art-style would.

Anyways, if somebody else wants to join in the debate I'll respond to them. It doesn't seem like any of us so far are going to agree. I'm done going in this pointless circle though.
 

Ecchi Boy

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 31, 2011
Messages
1,036
Reaction score
1,307
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I very clearly in my first post mentioned that it doesn't matter if the guns don't have "real bullets" in them. American News Media doesn't care about that.
It's seeming like you guys don't even pay attention to the American media and how they interpret things like this.
you think anyone under 17 reads manga besides American news is awful I know I live in the US Nobody watches that much especially fox news which will be the only news channel that will make it into a big and fail
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
I think it would still be a big deal.
Maybe not as much they brought it over right after Sandy Hook, but still can and probably will cause trouble for Viz.
I doubt it. It's just a manga.
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,105
Reaction score
5,852
Age
33
Country
United States
you think anyone under 17 reads manga besides American news is awful I know I live in the US Nobody watches that much especially fox news which will be the only news channel that will make it into a big and fail
I just have to respond to this one last comment.
Fox News...? Dude, I'm sorry but you don't have an understanding of how the US Media works.
Fox News probably would be the last to touch this, the anti-gun folk like MSNBC and CNN would be the first to jump on this.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,179
Reaction score
30,225
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
A series with a "cute" art-style and the concept it has will make for a much better media story than a series with a more mature art-style would.
I think you're giving the media too much credit if you think such things as art-style, genre, or intended audience matters if something becomes sensationalized.

Is AssClass making light of school massacres? Last time I checked, it's a comedy. Japan is not stranger to school violence. If by some random occurrence another shooting happens, maybe they'll suspend publication of it. But to say licensing the series now is a big mistake is ludicrous in my eyes. And fans of the series and manga fans in general shouldn't give a shit unless it happens. You're overreacting.
 

Ecchi Boy

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 31, 2011
Messages
1,036
Reaction score
1,307
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I just have to respond to this one last comment.
Fox News...? Dude, I'm sorry but you don't have an understanding of how the US Media works.
Fox News probably would be the last to touch this, the anti-gun folk like MSNBC and CNN would be the first to jump on this.

see this

articles a few days ago | "Fox News Confident Dark Souls is the Cause of Most School Shootings and Racism in America:"
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,105
Reaction score
5,852
Age
33
Country
United States
I think you're giving the media too much credit if you think such things as art-style, genre, or intended audience matters if something becomes sensationalized.

Is AssClass making light of school massacres? Last time I checked, it's a comedy. Japan is not stranger to school violence. If by some random occurrence another shooting happens, maybe they'll suspend publication of it. But to say licensing the series now is a big mistake is ludicrous in my eyes. And fans or the series and manga fans in general shouldn't give a shit unless it happens. You're overreacting.
Japan manga is not a stranger to school violence, yes.
Japan however does not have a problem with school gun violence, or guns in general.
America however has a big one which is a huge deal in the current political climate.
You may think I'm overreacting, but I think you and some of the other people in this thread are simply ignoring the big picture, or are just not all that knowledgeable about the the current political climate in the US and how media sensationalism works.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,179
Reaction score
30,225
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
I just have to respond to this one last comment.
Fox News...? Dude, I'm sorry but you don't have an understanding of how the US Media works.
Fox News probably would be the last to touch this, the anti-gun folk like MSNBC and CNN would be the first to jump on this.
lol no...NRA advocates were the first to blame violent videogames/movies and the lack of adequate care for the mentally ill after Sandy Hook.

But we're getting into the political side of things now, so just drop it.
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,105
Reaction score
5,852
Age
33
Country
United States
One article? Oh wow man.
That doesn't change the fact that posting anti-gun articles goes against Fox's agenda. They might jump on the bandwagon later on yes, but the first people to jump on it will be anti-gunners like MSNBC and CNN.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,179
Reaction score
30,225
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Japan manga is not a stranger to school violence, yes.
Japan however does not have a problem with school gun violence, or guns in general.
America however has a big one which is a huge deal in the current political climate.
You may think I'm overreacting, but I think you and some of the other people in this thread are simply ignoring the big picture, or are just not all that knowledgeable about the the current political climate in the US and how media sensationalism works.
No, I'm completely aware of it. You're missing the point. I highly doubt this will affect Viz in any way, whether any major news outlets pick up on it or not. You seem to want to legitimize what these watchdog groups do by assuming it'll matter to Viz's business. It won't. It's just a damn comic book.
 
Last edited:

FanOfAniManga

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
May 14, 2011
Messages
488
Reaction score
245
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
I'm not sure if some of us are aware, because I wasn't at first, but to clarify, AC will not be serialized on ESJ, so by only getting released in tankobon format, it should keep the manga at a low-enough profile to prevent garnering significant controversy, combined with its inevitable classification as a series for more mature audiences only.

At most, it'll probably just experience a delay anytime a high-profile incident like Columbine, Sandy Hook, or the Utøya massacre occurs, like how the Beelzebub anime got delayed during the 2011 earthquake.
 
Last edited:

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,179
Reaction score
30,225
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
I'm not sure if some of us are aware, because I wasn't at first, but to clarify, AC will not be serialized on ESJ. That combined with its inevitable classification as a series for more mature audiences only means that it shouldn't cause too much controversy, maybe a delay anytime a high-profile incident like Columbine, Sandy Hook, or the Utøya massacre occurs.
So it'll get the Soma treatment? It's kind of understandable, but as long as fans can get their hands on volumes, who cares, honestly.
 

Ecchi Boy

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 31, 2011
Messages
1,036
Reaction score
1,307
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
United States
When is Soma And AssClass coming out?
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Digital volume of Souma this month? Curious to see the cover before buying it. I hope they keep faithful with the original.
 

CallumKeyblade

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Mar 5, 2014
Messages
45
Reaction score
13
Age
31
Gender
Male
Country
England
Digital volume of Souma this month? Curious to see the cover before buying it. I hope they keep faithful with the original.
In Viz' latest e-mail about volume releases, they had the volume 1 cover for Food Wars! It looked pretty much the same as the original except the logo is replaced & the 1 looks different. I don't think the volume covers have any particularly objectionable content so there wouldn't really be any need to change them. Viz are usually pretty good in terms of sticking to the original covers.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top