Nanozom

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 9, 2013
Messages
1,035
Reaction score
449
Gender
Male
Country
Sweden
Re: Claymore Hang-out Thread

All great suggestions Nanozom, let's get a bit into each of them.

B) I heart this, but I can only speak for myself. Some poeple really can't get into fanfics, and I know because I used to be one of these. In this respect I think we are currently a bit fortunate, there's a very good manhua doujin about Claymore being translated by ProGoddess and edited by Number A, so it's already a very good start. Of course, we can't let this good doujin be everything it has to it, posting and commenting on our own fanfics should be more encouraged. I should start writing my own btw. What is a good website/platform to write and post fanfics on the web (other than this place in the case of Claymore)?

I heard you have been writing your own too, so I would love to read about it. :^_^

.
Here is a link to it...
:)
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/7712265/1/The-Silver-Eyed-Angel
It´s a ongoing project.

---------- Post added at 08:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:17 AM ----------

All great suggestions Nanozom, let's get a bit into each of them.

Yeah, sounds like our typical general discussions of the story and these general talks are a pretty good thing to have regularly actually. Which are or could be considered some of the flaws in the story in your opinion, for example?
Well... One is "How in the world did Priscilla recover from Quicksword when Claire dished it out to her?"'
Another is "Riph" (the thing that came out of Riful.) That was never explained either...
Renee´s disappearance is another one. What happened to her? We never got a word or scene of what happened and if Riful killed her then why not show that? And now with the manga ending, we might never find out...
Why did Claire react to the Raciella merged thing in Riful´s basement? What was the connection that brought her down there and triggered the Destroyer incident?
How did Claire hijack Destroyer when she was absorbed by it? That was never brought up either.
What happened with the destroyer lump that Priscilla puked out? Is it dead or not?

These are some of them and if they aren´t overlooked flaws then I don´t know what...

If they aren´t flaws and explained at some point then feel free to inform me of when and where.
:)
 

Number A

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jan 3, 2014
Messages
492
Reaction score
502
Gender
Hidden
Country
Dragonstone
Re: Claymore Hang-out Thread

If anyone wants to run a contest, PM me. I don't have the time/energy right now to run one on my own like I did with the beauty contest but I'd be happy to advise and provide the platform to to it ^^

Also, Fate_Archer, as someone who is frequently spectacularly guilty of wall of text I find that keeping things short is generally more conducive to discussion. Wall of text is hard to read unless you've REALLY gone-for-broke on structure and that takes time and effort.

I appreciate them, though, but sometimes the scale makes it a little hard to engage.

---------- Post added at 10:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:00 PM ----------

I've been feeling a little strange myself about Claymore ending. Like, I've not been into it that long but I've more passionate about it than I have been about any story since Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle. Being a Claymore fan has been a big part of my identity for the past two years and losing that will be a wrench.

I think, though, at some level I'm ready for it. I had a strange moment last month where I realised I wasn't jonesing for chapter 154 the way I had for all its predecessors. I thought about it and realised it was because everything I really cared about seeing in the story had kind of already happened. Clare had recovered emotionally and resolved her relationship with Teresa and Priscilla was getting her butt kicked. Obviously I want to know as much as possible about the futures of my favourite characters but that's not the same as needing to see how major story arcs resolve. Hearing Claymore is ending hit me hard, I'm most likely not through processing it yet and it sure will leave a hole, but at some level I'm already starting to let go.

I won't stop caring but I will stop thinking about it as much and will eventually run out of things to say. I possess a finite amount of time and energy and I will naturally start diverting it in directions where there are new discoveries to be made. Of course, if there ever is a continuation, even one that comes many years down the track, I will be there. I never forget a series that I love and even if I move on to other things, Claymore will always mean something to me.

Something more than 'big-ass sword wielded by someone painted blue and wearing a kilt', that is ^^
 
Last edited:

DforD

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Aug 14, 2014
Messages
23
Reaction score
6
Gender
Hidden
Country
Fire Nation
Re: Claymore Hang-out Thread

I want to buy the complete set of Claymore volumes but I know that's going to cost much
 

Claymore1

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 1, 2012
Messages
924
Reaction score
438
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Claymore Hang-out Thread

I want to buy the complete set of Claymore volumes but I know that's going to cost much
Try amazon.com or ebay. I got volumes 1, 3, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 for only $21.00 on ebay, and they are in great condition.
 

Leroid

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Oct 11, 2009
Messages
199
Reaction score
187
Gender
Male
Country
Serbia
Re: Claymore Hang-out Thread

Man, what's up with this year? Four mangas that I read had either ended or are about to end this year. And to make the matters worse, mangatraders went down which made it harder to start reading new ones. :(
 
Last edited:

Goral

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 2, 2007
Messages
1,665
Reaction score
1,994
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
Poland
Re: Claymore Hang-out Thread

Claymore, Kuroko no Basket, Kenichi and...? Unless you mean some other titles.
 

Leroid

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Oct 11, 2009
Messages
199
Reaction score
187
Gender
Male
Country
Serbia
Re: Claymore Hang-out Thread

Claymore, Kuroko no Basket, Kenichi and...? Unless you mean some other titles.
Hmm... I haven't read KnB. The other ones were Ah! My Goddess and Rosario+Vampire. (Also it seems Naruto will end soon too but I don't care :p)
 

Fate_Archer

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Sep 18, 2008
Messages
90
Reaction score
120
Gender
Male
Country
Genosha
Re: Claymore Hang-out Thread

Here is a link to it...
:)
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/7712265/1/The-Silver-Eyed-Angel
It´s a ongoing project.

---------- Post added at 08:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:17 AM ----------
Cool, I also managed to find out in the fanfic thread. I will make sure to check it some time. :)


Well... One is "How in the world did Priscilla recover from Quicksword when Claire dished it out to her?"'
Another is "Riph" (the thing that came out of Riful.) That was never explained either...
Renee´s disappearance is another one. What happened to her? We never got a word or scene of what happened and if Riful killed her then why not show that? And now with the manga ending, we might never find out...
Why did Claire react to the Raciella merged thing in Riful´s basement? What was the connection that brought her down there and triggered the Destroyer incident?
How did Claire hijack Destroyer when she was absorbed by it? That was never brought up either.
What happened with the destroyer lump that Priscilla puked out? Is it dead or not?

These are some of them and if they aren´t overlooked flaws then I don´t know what...

If they aren´t flaws and explained at some point then feel free to inform me of when and where.
:)
I touched on several of these on some of my last posts on this month's chapter thread, like the Riful-doll and Renee (who was most likely killed off-screen).

In Renee's case it's just a matter of character understanding and interpretation I think. Besides the subtle visual cues of what seemed to be Renee's remains in one panel, all we need to know is that when Riful says something she truly means it. For someone who could simply do as she pleases (and indeed she has done just that a number of times actually), when she does make an agreement or a promise, she honours her word. It's how she has been portrayed and we have seen it plenty enough. Renee pissed Riful off by not keeping her side of the bargain, when she was already quite irritated to begin with, so she just kept her own word and turned the poor thing into minces once she caught up with her. Sad, but likely true. Why it wasn't shown on-screen is another discussion.

Renee was screwed anyway we cut it. Riful herself admitted after realizing the extent of the Destroyer's power that even if Renee was perfectly honest with her, she might not have been her usual reasonable and occasinally considerate self towards her and would still push Renee for the intended stimulus to awaken the Raciella shell.

Why did Claire react to the Raciella merged thing in Riful´s basement? What was the connection that brought her down there and triggered the Destroyer incident?
How did Claire hijack Destroyer when she was absorbed by it? That was never brought up either.
I think Raphaela was pulling Clare to the basement to deliver whatever message she had for her, despite what her lingering consciousness had to say about Clare's intrusion. Then, her consciousness was already at such a bad state, that even her self image was formed through Clare's memories of their only meeting.

Although with our without Clare, after enough stimuli, the Raciella shell was going to awaken and so the Destroyer event was gonna happen anyway.

On the connections:

Raphaela had connections to both Teresa and Clare though not so obvious ones. She has seen Teresa as a trainee and might have had more interactions with her later on but that's not very substantiated yet. What I can think of that could connect Teresa further with Raphaela is Raphaela's surprised reaction when Rubel informs her that Teresa died and also the fact that Teresa, who never looked overly concerned with the Org's business, seemed to know one of the Org's dirtiest secrets since the beginning of the series. One way that we could certainly trace that information is through Rubel, who has been connected to Raphaela at least since the Org's crisis with Luciella. When Raphaela came back within the Org's ranks Rubel was also her handler.

Despite that, Teresa doesn't seem to make any special mentions of Raphaela in this last battle against Priscilla while merged with Clare. The way she mentions Raphaela could just imply
that she knows Raphaela's moves through Clare and not necessarily a personal sparring experience that could potentially explain why Teresa had become so strong and skilled as a warrior, as well as giving some background to her learning PYS.
This much would be the unsubstantiated part that will likely remain just my speculation.

Now Clare had just a single meeting with Raphaela, when she is called by Rubel to trace Clare and enlist her on the big squad for the battle in the north (Pieta). Clare may not have known of Raphaela, but Raphaela did know Clare, even if just for mission purposes and possibly even her inner connection with Teresa either through Rubel's info or by realizing it herself, much like Irene felt a familiar presence (yoki) in Clare.

When Rubel meets with Clare, Cynthia and Yuma in a city where Claymores and MiBs were gathering (there was even an AB), he speaks a bit of Raphaela and how they would have quite a bit in common and to talk about, in order to lure them to her rescue. In that dialogue it is already foreshadowed that they would probably meet again.

As I'm writing this I'm realizing a couple more parallels between Clare and Raphaela, but I will leave to elaborate that for another occasion.

To sum things up, they have a initially superficial connection through Teresa that could be much stronger than we realize depending on how much they (Raphaela and Teresa) knew and shared with each other in the past; a significant connection through Rubel, who handled both of them as warriors and who knew pretty much anything to both of them, so Raphaela knowing quite well about Clare's nature, story and profile is not only very within the boundaries of possibilities but actually quite likely considering the circumstances.


How did Claire hijack Destroyer when she was absorbed by it? That was never brought up either.
Which time, you mean the second one? She was absorbed two times if I recall correctly, the first time when the Raciella shell awakened and then again when Deneve and Helen were being pursued by Priscilla, which is the time I think you're referring here.

The first time she was able to get herself out by stablishing and asserting her own individuality from the body she was mentally linked with and absorbed into.

A bit like Cassandra who broke from Priscilla's control by establishing her strong number #1 personality when taking to Teresa's challenge a few chapters ago.

Considering that Clare took with her a lot of Raphaela's thoughts and memories when she got herself out the first time, and Raphaela in that dormant/catatonic state was the dominant or only individual being stimulated to have awakened, I think it's reasonable to consider that Clare had enough devices to redirect the will of the Awakened Being (the Destroyer) she was once a part of when it started existing.

For Clare to come back to the Destroyer wasn't exactly something I was expecting, but it felt perfectly acceptable when you consider some of these points I think.


What happened with the destroyer lump that Priscilla puked out? Is it dead or not?
I think it met it's final demise when it was killed along with the Riful-doll by Priscilla.

The Destroyer in the scope of the story, including it's form as a lump of flesh that absorbs lifeforce, was the needed force to keep Priscilla in check after she regained a bit of her memories for other story threads to follow, such as Miria's arc with the toppling of the Organization. With Priscilla being rendered neutralized, the story could go to different places and follow a different pace for some time, until it eventually came back to Priscilla again.


If anyone wants to run a contest, PM me. I don't have the time/energy right now to run one on my own like I did with the beauty contest but I'd be happy to advise and provide the platform to to it ^^

Also, Fate_Archer, as someone who is frequently spectacularly guilty of wall of text I find that keeping things short is generally more conducive to discussion. Wall of text is hard to read unless you've REALLY gone-for-broke on structure and that takes time and effort.

I appreciate them, though, but sometimes the scale makes it a little hard to engage.
Haha, yeah, sorry for shamelessly trying to bring you in with this proposed contest. :p
You seem to have quite a bit happening already. I myself have some stuff too, even though I would really like to see it happening just before the last chapter.
Could be our way to add to the gran finale of the series.
It would be great but it's really some effort to put into making it that we may not be at the best of time to bring it. I'm not even sure if there's still time to make it in a way that culminates into the last chapter's release. I'm gonna take a look on your thread and PM you just in case, but unfortunately I don't think I can tackle this on my own right now too.


As for walls of text: I completely agree, and it's something I have been trying to incorporate in my posts/writings but with little success. It's hard to make things concise or short and sweet with few words and sentences when there is a lot to tell about and express. Sometimes the ability to keep things simple is quite the underrated talent.
 

Sheepo

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jul 26, 2014
Messages
9
Reaction score
14
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Claymore Hang-out Thread

Hmm... I haven't read KnB. The other ones were Ah! My Goddess and Rosario+Vampire. (Also it seems Naruto will end soon too but I don't care :p)
Kimi no Iru Machi and Beezlebub also ended this year.
 

Number A

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jan 3, 2014
Messages
492
Reaction score
502
Gender
Hidden
Country
Dragonstone
Re: Claymore Hang-out Thread

If anyone is suffering from action-series-with-female-lead withdrawl, I wholeheartedly recommend The Legend of Korra. Watch the also excellent Avatar: The Last Airbender first, though, so everything has context ^^
 

serpico

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jun 12, 2012
Messages
524
Reaction score
105
Gender
Hidden
Country
Winterfell
Re: Claymore Hang-out Thread

Oh I had seems lots of mangas with females leading characters but so far claymore had been my favorite.

---------- Post added at 05:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:42 PM ----------

I think has to do more with the medieval environment and dark ages, super natural and bloody.
 

Fate_Archer

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Sep 18, 2008
Messages
90
Reaction score
120
Gender
Male
Country
Genosha
Re: Claymore Hang-out Thread

Yeah, Korra is certainly nice more so if you watched and enjoyed the Avatar: Last Airbender animated series. Though soon enough Fate Stay/Night remake will start airing, so we will have a good dose of Saber to fix our female badass warrior withdrawal. Novelty aside, there are a number of other series out there with some nice action females. Such as Freezing, it may be a bit cheesy but it has some nice art and chara designs; also Girls of the Wilds as a webtoon. Would have to check my list which I also haven't caught up in ages to pick a few more.

Man, what's up with this year? Four mangas that I read had either ended or are about to end this year. And to make the matters worse, mangatraders went down which made it harder to start reading new ones. :(
Perhaps I just started noticing recently, but I suspect that the number of high profile series ending this and last year is huge. I just did a quick search for these years, and it's a bit scary. Can't help but feel a certain void when these series are announced to end soon, even if I don't really follow some of them.
 

Nanozom

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 9, 2013
Messages
1,035
Reaction score
449
Gender
Male
Country
Sweden
Re: Claymore Hang-out Thread

Hey, I don´t know if anyone have noticed this, but I checked up what Teresa´s name meant and discovered how incredibly fitting it was to her...
"Teresa" (the spanish origin) means "Harvester"
And what is another name for "Harvester"?
(nod) that´s right...
..."Reaper"
Quite fitting for the strongest warrior of all times... She´s literally "Death" incarnated and as we all know... nothing can fight death.

Just pulled this up as a fun trivia...
 

Number A

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jan 3, 2014
Messages
492
Reaction score
502
Gender
Hidden
Country
Dragonstone
Re: Claymore Hang-out Thread

Novelty aside, there are a number of other series out there with some nice action females.
My problem is that I get very bored very quickly with "would you like boobs with your violence?" action series. If a story relies on fanservice to hold reader attention rather than on, say, plot and character, I will lose interest more-or-less instantly. What Claymore and Korra both have in common (besides 'k's and 'r's) is that the gender of their protagonists isn't really the point. Like, it it comes up in the story when appropriate, but it's less important than Miria's strong sense of justice, Clare's search for self-determination, or Korra working out how the Avatar fits into the new world order. They're all stories about interesting people doing cool things who happen to be girls who fight good.

Oh, btw, further to wall-of-text, don't try to say everything you have to say at once. Like, I love Miria, but I've not really said anything about why her story appeals to me or how it makes sense in the context of Claymore the story on these forums. The moment just hasn't come.
 
Last edited:

number12michael

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 2, 2012
Messages
1,779
Reaction score
392
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Re: Claymore Hang-out Thread

I dont know if its been mentioned but the manga Freezing is quite good and is like a mixture of Claymore and Evangelion
 

Number A

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jan 3, 2014
Messages
492
Reaction score
502
Gender
Hidden
Country
Dragonstone
Re: Claymore Hang-out Thread

Frozen was also top-notch ^^ The one time Elsa actually uses her powers in combat is totally awesome and the songs are great :D I wouldn't recommend it to those seeking something a little darker, though.
 

Fate_Archer

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Sep 18, 2008
Messages
90
Reaction score
120
Gender
Male
Country
Genosha
Re: Claymore Hang-out Thread

My problem is that I get very bored very quickly with "would you like boobs with your violence?" action series. If a story relies on fanservice to hold reader attention rather than on, say, plot and character, I will lose interest more-or-less instantly. What Claymore and Korra both have in common (besides 'k's and 'r's) is that the gender of their protagonists isn't really the point. Like, it it comes up in the story when appropriate, but it's less important than Miria's strong sense of justice, Clare's search for self-determination, or Korra working out how the Avatar fits into the new world order. They're all stories about interesting people doing cool things who happen to be girls who fight good.

Oh, btw, further to wall-of-text, don't try to say everything you have to say at once. Like, I love Miria, but I've not really said anything about why her story appeals to me or how it makes sense in the context of Claymore the story on these forums. The moment just hasn't come.
You have a very good point. There are lots of series that follow this action/violence and boobs recipe and it gets repetitive and lame. When we occasionally get a fanservice shot in Claymore, due to how relatively infrequent it is and natural the author makes it feel, it actually feels well... natural. 'Oh look, Octavia just turned into an AB... and we can see a bit of her boobs now. Neat.'. There is some gratuitous and contrived formula that series like these try to follow regarding fanservice (Freezing included) and that ruins the distinct and dignified premise of having these female characters being at the center stage.

More on walls of text: yes, all in due time and saying everything I or one with enough investment has to say about Claymore is probably a no-no in most circumstances. I will give up mentioning some details just so something big and almost unbearable isn't even bigger and more unbearable than it can be. Or else other than letting my thoughts out there wouldn't be anyone to read and share. Maybe I should run a blog or post on tumblr. It might be both too late for a blog and I'm not overly interested on tumblr though. I like the Claymore community anyway.

With all that said, thanks for the tips. It's something I'm working on, as you notice.
 

serpico

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jun 12, 2012
Messages
524
Reaction score
105
Gender
Hidden
Country
Winterfell
Re: Claymore Hang-out Thread

@ Nanozom/-nice found, pretty neat.!
 

wickedsmile

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Oct 24, 2010
Messages
263
Reaction score
329
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Claymore Hang-out Thread

Serpico:

Try Gunslinger Girl, which ended some time ago. The character lines and associates are somewhat similar to Claymore with females having male handlers. It's poignant and heartfelt. It emphasizes the need to live your life to its fullest, as it comes to an end all too abruptly. Just as in Claymore as well, GSG stresses the importance of friendship and the bonds we make with another. I think it surpasses Claymore in this regard. I give fair warning. Be prepared to curse and cry at the same time. The ending was rushed, although the Mangaka (Yu Aida) did the very best, given the meager number of pages allotted to him.

WS



Oh I had seems lots of mangas with females leading characters but so far claymore had been my favorite.

---------- Post added at 05:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:42 PM ----------

I think has to do more with the medieval environment and dark ages, super natural and bloody.
 

serpico

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jun 12, 2012
Messages
524
Reaction score
105
Gender
Hidden
Country
Winterfell
Re: Claymore Hang-out Thread

Thanks wickedsmile, I did read it about 1 or two years ago, don't remember wen was the Las year tough still was ongoing which ended with 100 chaptes,and was and still is once of my favorite, while the manga I read it twice, the anime I buy the whole series complete with the ovas too,and my favorite character by far was TRIELA and the best arc for me was the Pinocchio arc.

---------- Post added at 05:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:26 PM ----------

Oh BTW although Josephe was a nice handler as same TRIELA handler, the Res were total asshole with their girls.

---------- Post added at 05:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:33 PM ----------

Has anyone ever read ( lives) pretty good manga with a lot of monsters , it's only 20 chapters with 30 to 35 pages but it's pretty good.
 
Top