- Joined
- Jan 3, 2014
- Messages
- 492
- Reaction score
- 502
- Gender
- Hidden
- Country
-
Re: Claymore Hang-out Thread
Watch the others! That's the most ridiculous one! I liked the first the best and the second is the famous one where the aesthetic really comes into its own.
FMA was superb. I don't own it (I will someday, I swear) but the only thing ahead of it on my 'to buy' list is Claymore. Have you read Silver Spoon? It's different, but it's one of the most emotionally honest manga I've ever read and I cannot recommend it highly enough. Also, if those are the kinds of numbers FMA had then Claymore doesn't stand a snowball's chance in hell of getting a new anime (sorry guys).
I did read that thread. That's the one where all your arguments reduce to "this offends my sense of how the world works" you guys seem to spend more time arguing about whether or not the events in the story made sense than you do arguing about Miria :P Also, like, I don't want to rehash that thread (I'm more interested in character analysis than 'x doesn't make sense because y' type arguments), but I would like to say this: the way I see it, the best plan is the simplest one that works. To me, Miria's straightforward approach to strategy shows that she avoids unnecessary complexity, not that she's lacking in creativity. If you don't think her plans should have worked, fair enough, but I would say that that's an argument about the plausibility of Yagi's storytelling decisions and not about Miria's tactical skill.
Why do I like Miria? Easy: she's a good person who does everything in her power to make the world a better place, she's smart and nice, I want her moral compass, and I have a soft spot for stories about marginalised people who stand up and claim their humanity and their freedom. I think the question you meant to ask was "why do you find a Miria compelling character?" which I'd be happy to answer
It may take me some time to get my thoughts in order, though, so bear with me.
If I'm to summarise that thread + your concluding paragraph would it be fair to say you don't like Miria because you feel her character is excessively 'good', she's not convincingly clever, and the respect the other warriors show her isn't believable. I'll go out on a limb here and summarise that as "you don't find her character convincing" if that's OK with you.
And, um, like, this is a bit silly but I have to ask: was your resentment of Miria ever at any point rooted in a sense that her plotline was taking screentime and fandom attention away from Clare and Teresa? I'm asking this because last time I intensely disliked a fictional character it was because I felt they were distracting from what I saw as the true story. I built up an elaborate plot and character based case against them but the heart of my dislike was actually fear that what I cared about was being neglected. I daresay you're wiser than I was when I was 18 (and probably more sensible about not losing your shit over shonen manga, too) but if something like this is going on then you're almost certainly distorting your perspective in ways that get in the way of appreciating something you love. Take it from someone who's been there :P
Watch the others! That's the most ridiculous one! I liked the first the best and the second is the famous one where the aesthetic really comes into its own.
FMA was superb. I don't own it (I will someday, I swear) but the only thing ahead of it on my 'to buy' list is Claymore. Have you read Silver Spoon? It's different, but it's one of the most emotionally honest manga I've ever read and I cannot recommend it highly enough. Also, if those are the kinds of numbers FMA had then Claymore doesn't stand a snowball's chance in hell of getting a new anime (sorry guys).
I did read that thread. That's the one where all your arguments reduce to "this offends my sense of how the world works" you guys seem to spend more time arguing about whether or not the events in the story made sense than you do arguing about Miria :P Also, like, I don't want to rehash that thread (I'm more interested in character analysis than 'x doesn't make sense because y' type arguments), but I would like to say this: the way I see it, the best plan is the simplest one that works. To me, Miria's straightforward approach to strategy shows that she avoids unnecessary complexity, not that she's lacking in creativity. If you don't think her plans should have worked, fair enough, but I would say that that's an argument about the plausibility of Yagi's storytelling decisions and not about Miria's tactical skill.
Why do I like Miria? Easy: she's a good person who does everything in her power to make the world a better place, she's smart and nice, I want her moral compass, and I have a soft spot for stories about marginalised people who stand up and claim their humanity and their freedom. I think the question you meant to ask was "why do you find a Miria compelling character?" which I'd be happy to answer
It may take me some time to get my thoughts in order, though, so bear with me.If I'm to summarise that thread + your concluding paragraph would it be fair to say you don't like Miria because you feel her character is excessively 'good', she's not convincingly clever, and the respect the other warriors show her isn't believable. I'll go out on a limb here and summarise that as "you don't find her character convincing" if that's OK with you.
And, um, like, this is a bit silly but I have to ask: was your resentment of Miria ever at any point rooted in a sense that her plotline was taking screentime and fandom attention away from Clare and Teresa? I'm asking this because last time I intensely disliked a fictional character it was because I felt they were distracting from what I saw as the true story. I built up an elaborate plot and character based case against them but the heart of my dislike was actually fear that what I cared about was being neglected. I daresay you're wiser than I was when I was 18 (and probably more sensible about not losing your shit over shonen manga, too) but if something like this is going on then you're almost certainly distorting your perspective in ways that get in the way of appreciating something you love. Take it from someone who's been there :P
Last edited:
I'm so sorry to hear that a loved one of hers is sick. I'd noticed the slow-down but had no idea it was due to something so serious.


