IMDB has the weirdest rankings. Only rather current movies are at the top of the charts. Like Shawshank Redemption is their number 1 movie, I believe. And, don't get me wrong, that's a fantastic movie, but the best movie of all time?...no
That´s actually something i can accept really, even though for me as well it is hardly the best movie ever but movies like Dark Knight, Avengers or Inception being so high up in that list is really untolerable.IMDB has the weirdest rankings. Only rather current movies are at the top of the charts. Like Shawshank Redemption is their number 1 movie, I believe. And, don't get me wrong, that's a fantastic movie, but the best movie of all time?...no
Weird, had Avengers a lot higher in my memory but the point still stands though, considering the sheer amount of movies ever produced, Avengers even being in the best 250 is a joke.Yeah but Avengers isn't even in the top 100. Maybe Dark Knight and Inception are too high. But aside from a few instances, a lot of those movies high up on the list are rather modern.
Just a perfect example is Avengers being 187, but The Grapes of Wrath being 186...just...how?
Did you get the twist of the movie?An other pleasant surprise for me, it's a little older (2011): GOD BLESS AMERICA. An acerb critic of our society, a comedy more than a drama. The movie have similarities with "Falling Down" (with Michael Douglas) but with a much more fun, less serious tone.
The Duke of Norfolk: Oh confound all this. I'm not a scholar, I don't know whether the marriage was lawful or not but dammit, Thomas, look at these names! Why can't you do as I did and come with us, for fellowship!
Sir Thomas More: And when we die, and you are sent to heaven for doing your conscience, and I am sent to hell for not doing mine, will you come with me, for fellowship?
More amazing: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0060665/quotesSir Thomas More: Listen, Meg, God made the angels to show Him splendor, as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But Man He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of his mind. If He suffers us to come to such a case that there is no escaping, then we may stand to our tackle as best we can, and, yes, Meg, then we can clamor like champions, if we have the spittle for it. But it's God's part, not our own, to bring ourselves to such a pass. Our natural business lies in escaping. If I can take the oath, I will.
Edge of Tomorrow. 8 / 10I finally saw edge of tomorrow. This was the best "tom cruise" movie since maybe Jerry Maguire (if you don't count his hilarious role in tropic thunder).
A real pleasant surprise. The scenario is good and manage to not repeat itself too much. My biggest surprise of the summer.
The idea was pretty good, the acting of Hardy as well but the movie fails in my opinion due to the inexperienced voice actors and the painfully cliché and boring story.Locke with Tom Hardy was amazing. The whole movie takes place in a car and over a phone. Great acting on Hardy's.
---------- Post added at 09:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:55 AM ----------
Edge of Tomorrow. 8 / 10
Oblivion 7 / 10
Jack Reacher 9 / 10
Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol 10 / 10
I haven't seen "Rock of Ages", so I can't rate that yet. Can't wait for the fifth Mission Impossible film, Ving Rhames is coming back.

I'm watching that on the 25th here in the Philippines.https://movies.yahoo.com/news/japanese-box-office-rurouni-kenshin-legend-ends-rules-165326459.html
Hey guys, check this information out about the live action Rurouni Kenshin film in Japan. Hopefully, one of these major studios will release here in the states, for us to see.

I guess "popularizing and promoting" prostitution can be one of the things, tho most of all it provides a look on how fun prostitution can be.I heard Irma la Douce was banned from networks for a long time
Gonna watch Sunset today, let´s see how it goes
its a legit profession, damnit.
I think the movie was setting to "normalize" it and that did not sit well for the time, it's a masterpiece tho since those aspects appear only at first and then you really get used to it.
Watched Sunset btw, the voice-over of the dead main character made it pretty interesting, especially his occasionally witty comments, but to be honest, it was not an instant classic for me.I have been addicted to Billy Wilder lately, a lot, I mean the man can WRITE and that is an understatement!
Watched Irma La Douce, The Fortune Cookie and Sunset Boulevard. It's magic what good writing can do to a film, you feel so good watching the story, it has a story, it has a plot, ITS GOING SOMEWHERE. Tho Sunset Boulevard had a more simpler set up it had the most dramatic aspects to "lure out" of it's actors, so it's really theatrical and meta-theatrical at times.
The Fortune Cookie was writing lesson one-o-one, I like "parts" and always love them within a story, it has structure that way, it has dramatic build up and you cna never lose faith in the writer along the way. Walter Matthau was just brilliant in it as well.
And my favorite of the lot Irma la Douce, I mean my God, this set up is one of the best I have seen in film, so many commentaries on everything, you can learn about economics, law, "the underworld", male-female relationships. On top of that Jack Lemmon playing multiple roles as a Policeman/Pimp/Aristocrat was rather enjoyable, it gave the story multiple perspectives. In the end a bit of surrealism and magical realism mixed with good laughs, brilliant cast and practically one of the best set ups for film/comedy film I have ever seen. I think this picture is even better than the Academy Award nominated "The Apartment" from Wilder. I can see tihs movie over and over again and it will "mezmorize" me. Wow. *awe*