Movies The Movie Thread! - Continuation - Part 1

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,229
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
IMDB has the weirdest rankings. Only rather current movies are at the top of the charts. Like Shawshank Redemption is their number 1 movie, I believe. And, don't get me wrong, that's a fantastic movie, but the best movie of all time?...no
 

FetherMan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 5, 2012
Messages
2,366
Reaction score
1,127
Gender
Male
Country
United States
No Good Deed

Honestly, didn't think I would like this, but I ended up enjoying it a lot. Really good movie, Taraji P. Henson and Idris Elba really showed great chemistry as actors in this film. Not bad for this time of the season for movies and a great date movie too. Recommend it for this weekend in theaters.
 

MiyamotoMusashi

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 5, 2012
Messages
3,706
Reaction score
2,315
Gender
Hidden
Country
Marine Headquarters
IMDB has the weirdest rankings. Only rather current movies are at the top of the charts. Like Shawshank Redemption is their number 1 movie, I believe. And, don't get me wrong, that's a fantastic movie, but the best movie of all time?...no
That´s actually something i can accept really, even though for me as well it is hardly the best movie ever but movies like Dark Knight, Avengers or Inception being so high up in that list is really untolerable.

Rotten is better but not that reliable either in my experience because of the sometimes huge discrepancy between the tomatometer and the actual rating of the movie.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,229
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Yeah but Avengers isn't even in the top 100. Maybe Dark Knight and Inception are too high. But aside from a few instances, a lot of those movies high up on the list are rather modern.

Just a perfect example is Avengers being 187, but The Grapes of Wrath being 186...just...how?
 

MiyamotoMusashi

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 5, 2012
Messages
3,706
Reaction score
2,315
Gender
Hidden
Country
Marine Headquarters
Yeah but Avengers isn't even in the top 100. Maybe Dark Knight and Inception are too high. But aside from a few instances, a lot of those movies high up on the list are rather modern.

Just a perfect example is Avengers being 187, but The Grapes of Wrath being 186...just...how?
Weird, had Avengers a lot higher in my memory but the point still stands though, considering the sheer amount of movies ever produced, Avengers even being in the best 250 is a joke.

I just got to know a few reviewers (both American and international ones) whom i can trust with their taste and can actually watch their recommendations.
Since i already mentioned Rotten, it really shows how being a professional reviewer does not entail actually being professional and objective (obviously, this is an extreme example but i recently saw a headline saying "Haters STFU").
 

zelllogan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 8, 2005
Messages
2,205
Reaction score
1,001
Age
42
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
An other pleasant surprise for me, it's a little older (2011): GOD BLESS AMERICA. An acerb critic of our society, a comedy more than a drama. The movie have similarities with "Falling Down" (with Michael Douglas) but with a much more fun, less serious tone.
 

MiyamotoMusashi

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 5, 2012
Messages
3,706
Reaction score
2,315
Gender
Hidden
Country
Marine Headquarters
An other pleasant surprise for me, it's a little older (2011): GOD BLESS AMERICA. An acerb critic of our society, a comedy more than a drama. The movie have similarities with "Falling Down" (with Michael Douglas) but with a much more fun, less serious tone.
Did you get the twist of the movie?
 

baboysai

Pink Warrior
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 11, 2006
Messages
13,956
Reaction score
2,293
Gender
Female
Country
Philippines
I think it's too early to be excited about Batman v Superman, but... what the heck.
 

Josef

Dank Trump
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 24, 2010
Messages
10,103
Reaction score
4,938
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
I watched A Man for All Season by Fren Zinnerman, the 1966 movie that won best director, actor and picture. This was such a great movie, ti was EPIC in every regard, Thomas more was one consistent dude, his opinions are firm till his death, he is a beacon of humanism and reason in a sea of ignorance in his age, it seems the movie is an all time classic, as far as a religious movie goes it's all form More's point of view, people like him, touching scenes with his wife, daughter, the King, the Duke, as well as a lovely scene of interaction between Cromwell, The Duke and the Archbishop.

The movie is a goldmine for quotes:

"I die His Majesty's good servant, but God's first." - Thomas More

The Duke of Norfolk: Oh confound all this. I'm not a scholar, I don't know whether the marriage was lawful or not but dammit, Thomas, look at these names! Why can't you do as I did and come with us, for fellowship!

Sir Thomas More: And when we die, and you are sent to heaven for doing your conscience, and I am sent to hell for not doing mine, will you come with me, for fellowship?
Sir Thomas More: Listen, Meg, God made the angels to show Him splendor, as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But Man He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of his mind. If He suffers us to come to such a case that there is no escaping, then we may stand to our tackle as best we can, and, yes, Meg, then we can clamor like champions, if we have the spittle for it. But it's God's part, not our own, to bring ourselves to such a pass. Our natural business lies in escaping. If I can take the oath, I will.
More amazing: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0060665/quotes
 
  • Like
Reactions: xi0

FetherMan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 5, 2012
Messages
2,366
Reaction score
1,127
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Locke with Tom Hardy was amazing. The whole movie takes place in a car and over a phone. Great acting on Hardy's.

---------- Post added at 09:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:55 AM ----------

I finally saw edge of tomorrow. This was the best "tom cruise" movie since maybe Jerry Maguire (if you don't count his hilarious role in tropic thunder).
A real pleasant surprise. The scenario is good and manage to not repeat itself too much. My biggest surprise of the summer.
Edge of Tomorrow. 8 / 10
Oblivion 7 / 10
Jack Reacher 9 / 10
Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol 10 / 10


I haven't seen "Rock of Ages", so I can't rate that yet. Can't wait for the fifth Mission Impossible film, Ving Rhames is coming back.
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,071
Reaction score
6,930
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Roommate showed me Grand Budapest Hotel in the evening over dinner and I was shocked that a movie could be that entertaining. I thoughtd it be the typical low budget dreary bore quest but it was highly engaging, gripping, and pretty comedic. The two leads even have great friendship moments. I kind of wish it was longer as the whole time in the hotel and all the different character types and personalities throughout were simply fun.
 

MiyamotoMusashi

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 5, 2012
Messages
3,706
Reaction score
2,315
Gender
Hidden
Country
Marine Headquarters
Locke with Tom Hardy was amazing. The whole movie takes place in a car and over a phone. Great acting on Hardy's.

---------- Post added at 09:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:55 AM ----------



Edge of Tomorrow. 8 / 10
Oblivion 7 / 10
Jack Reacher 9 / 10
Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol 10 / 10


I haven't seen "Rock of Ages", so I can't rate that yet. Can't wait for the fifth Mission Impossible film, Ving Rhames is coming back.
The idea was pretty good, the acting of Hardy as well but the movie fails in my opinion due to the inexperienced voice actors and the painfully cliché and boring story.
 

Josef

Dank Trump
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 24, 2010
Messages
10,103
Reaction score
4,938
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Watched Atlantic City by Louis Malle and The Apartment by Billy Wilder.

Both realistic movies that offer some form of psychological view into the characters, they are really character driven and the writing and plot in The Apartment is almost superb. Atlantic City has a nice American movie feel, tho an ending not as pleasing as The Apartment overall it was an enjoyable watch due to some great acting as well.

The Apartment is much more deeper, it goes into issues of bachelorhood, climbing the corporate ladder by any means even those that in the end come back to bite you, being a YES man, being a pushover at work, overall a nice view into the mentality of some people in a capitalist system, the Average Joe or "Schmuck" as people call Baxter, it does metaphorically state some form of "corruption" that in a company there can be many "Rotten Apples" with the top being the most corrupt.

In the end it's best to become a HUMAN BEING, above all, Baxter's shift form his careerism to looking at more important things in life like love which he sacrificed for other made the ending even more pleasing. :)
 

baboysai

Pink Warrior
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 11, 2006
Messages
13,956
Reaction score
2,293
Gender
Female
Country
Philippines

Josef

Dank Trump
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 24, 2010
Messages
10,103
Reaction score
4,938
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
I have been addicted to Billy Wilder lately, a lot, I mean the man can WRITE and that is an understatement!

Watched Irma La Douce, The Fortune Cookie and Sunset Boulevard. It's magic what good writing can do to a film, you feel so good watching the story, it has a story, it has a plot, ITS GOING SOMEWHERE. Tho Sunset Boulevard had a more simpler set up it had the most dramatic aspects to "lure out" of it's actors, so it's really theatrical and meta-theatrical at times.

The Fortune Cookie was writing lesson one-o-one, I like "parts" and always love them within a story, it has structure that way, it has dramatic build up and you cna never lose faith in the writer along the way. Walter Matthau was just brilliant in it as well.

And my favorite of the lot Irma la Douce, I mean my God, this set up is one of the best I have seen in film, so many commentaries on everything, you can learn about economics, law, "the underworld", male-female relationships. On top of that Jack Lemmon playing multiple roles as a Policeman/Pimp/Aristocrat was rather enjoyable, it gave the story multiple perspectives. In the end a bit of surrealism and magical realism mixed with good laughs, brilliant cast and practically one of the best set ups for film/comedy film I have ever seen. I think this picture is even better than the Academy Award nominated "The Apartment" from Wilder. I can see tihs movie over and over again and it will "mezmorize" me. Wow. *awe*
 

MiyamotoMusashi

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 5, 2012
Messages
3,706
Reaction score
2,315
Gender
Hidden
Country
Marine Headquarters
I heard Irma la Douce was banned from networks for a long time

Gonna watch Sunset today, let´s see how it goes
 

Josef

Dank Trump
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 24, 2010
Messages
10,103
Reaction score
4,938
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
I heard Irma la Douce was banned from networks for a long time

Gonna watch Sunset today, let´s see how it goes
I guess "popularizing and promoting" prostitution can be one of the things, tho most of all it provides a look on how fun prostitution can be. :XD its a legit profession, damnit. :D I think the movie was setting to "normalize" it and that did not sit well for the time, it's a masterpiece tho since those aspects appear only at first and then you really get used to it.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts and impressions, it's a "Hollywood Tale".
 

zelllogan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 8, 2005
Messages
2,205
Reaction score
1,001
Age
42
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
I saw sin city 2 today. It s not that i hate it ... it s too insipid to be hated. The movie ended and i just stood there wondering: what the fuck was that ? What was the point ?
 

MiyamotoMusashi

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 5, 2012
Messages
3,706
Reaction score
2,315
Gender
Hidden
Country
Marine Headquarters
I have been addicted to Billy Wilder lately, a lot, I mean the man can WRITE and that is an understatement!

Watched Irma La Douce, The Fortune Cookie and Sunset Boulevard. It's magic what good writing can do to a film, you feel so good watching the story, it has a story, it has a plot, ITS GOING SOMEWHERE. Tho Sunset Boulevard had a more simpler set up it had the most dramatic aspects to "lure out" of it's actors, so it's really theatrical and meta-theatrical at times.

The Fortune Cookie was writing lesson one-o-one, I like "parts" and always love them within a story, it has structure that way, it has dramatic build up and you cna never lose faith in the writer along the way. Walter Matthau was just brilliant in it as well.

And my favorite of the lot Irma la Douce, I mean my God, this set up is one of the best I have seen in film, so many commentaries on everything, you can learn about economics, law, "the underworld", male-female relationships. On top of that Jack Lemmon playing multiple roles as a Policeman/Pimp/Aristocrat was rather enjoyable, it gave the story multiple perspectives. In the end a bit of surrealism and magical realism mixed with good laughs, brilliant cast and practically one of the best set ups for film/comedy film I have ever seen. I think this picture is even better than the Academy Award nominated "The Apartment" from Wilder. I can see tihs movie over and over again and it will "mezmorize" me. Wow. *awe*
Watched Sunset btw, the voice-over of the dead main character made it pretty interesting, especially his occasionally witty comments, but to be honest, it was not an instant classic for me.
 
Top