Fall NFL Thread

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 2, 2009
Messages
48,828
Reaction score
17,292
Gender
Male
Country
Akatsuki
Really, and Gary saying "Big Ben is better than Brady" was compelling in the first place?
From what I read, he said more than that, and you seemed to agree with him. But I thought you were shaking your head at Jammin. I'm not sure why it matters anyway, this is mostly subjective. I could say Eli Manning is better than Peyton Manning just because his team won the Superbowl while Peyton was owned so hard last year. Similarly, you could say Brady is the top five because you're a huge fan of him and the Pats while Gary would disagree because he does not like either. Subjective.

Though, we probably wouldn't be having this discussion if the Seahawks didn't make that horrible play at the end.
 

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Messages
16,840
Reaction score
23,503
Age
43
Gender
Male
Country
United States
It's very subjective. That's the thing. I don't have any issue if somebody want to put Brady in their top 5 QB's of all time but I kinda do with the idea that you HAVE to put him there. I think he's a great player that has had a lot of success but I think sometimes sports fans can forget just how good the players they are competing with on the lists of all-time greatness were.

I don't think it's a show of disrespect to say that you'd take other great players over him. I view him in the same lens as Bradshaw but I think he's better than Bradshaw. Bradshaw went 4 for 4 in Superbowls just like Montana but he's wasn't as good a player as Montana or Marino or Elway or Unitas or Peyton Manning. That's the way I view Brady. I'd put him above Bradshaw and Young and Farve and for now above Rodgers.
 
Last edited:

gnut

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 19, 2010
Messages
11,490
Reaction score
18,519
Age
52
Gender
Male
Country
United States
better than steve young...no way jammin:gnut
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,178
Reaction score
30,220
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Eli is a lot like Bradshaw, maybe even Flacco will be looked that way if he continues to have playoff success. They get the results, but don't always put up the most stats. But this is football, not baseball. Too lately people care way too much about numbers, when all that matters is winning (I blame fantasy football personally). That's why everyone jerks off about Russel Wilson. Wilson isn't the best QB, but he's a good football player and they obviously can win with him.
 

FrostyMouse

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 18, 2011
Messages
7,395
Reaction score
1,302
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Eli is a lot like Bradshaw, maybe even Flacco will be looked that way if he continues to have playoff success. They get the results, but don't always put up the most stats. But this is football, not baseball. Too lately people care way too much about numbers, when all that matters is winning (I blame fantasy football personally). That's why everyone jerks off about Russel Wilson. Wilson isn't the best QB, but he's a good football player and they obviously can win with him.
If all that matters is winning, then Brady >>> Peyton. :P If all that matters is winning, Marino is nowhere. If all that matters is winning, Eli and Big Ben > Peyton.

Numbers matter, as does winning. If you really struggle in the playoffs, that counts against you.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,178
Reaction score
30,220
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
All that matters is winning = it doesn't matter if you have 45 completions in a game and 4 TDs. I was talking about stats, not achievements. That's another discussion.
 

FrostyMouse

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 18, 2011
Messages
7,395
Reaction score
1,302
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
All that matters is winning = it doesn't matter if you have 45 completions in a game and 4 TDs. I was talking about stats, not achievements. That's another discussion.
You seem to want to separate achievements as a QB out from stats, and then ignore when Brady does well statistically. Basically, you want to find an angle to say that Brady's not as great as people make him out to be.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,178
Reaction score
30,220
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
All I'm saying he isn't a Top 5 QB All-time in my book. Sorry that it bothers you so much. :XD

I brought stats up as a general aside, not with only Brady in mind.
 
Last edited:

FrostyMouse

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 18, 2011
Messages
7,395
Reaction score
1,302
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
All I'm saying he isn't a Top 5 QB All-time in my book. Sorry that it bothers you so much. :XD

I brought stats up as a general aside, not with only Brady in mind.
It doesn't. I'm just surprised that you can be this salty. :XD

You can't logically try to deny anything that would make Brady look good.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,178
Reaction score
30,220
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
It doesn't. I'm just surprised that you can be this salty. :XD

You can't logically try to deny anything that would make Brady look good.
I'm not sure you understand what "salty" means..? Nothing of what I thought of Brady has changed since you guys beat us. Hell, the Steelers have beaten us more than you guys ever have and I'm not trying to putting down Big Ben because of it.

I don't think I'm denying anything that makes Brady good. Nor did I ever say he wasn't a great player.
 

FrostyMouse

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 18, 2011
Messages
7,395
Reaction score
1,302
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
We didn't pick up Browner's low cost option for some reason and now Revis has gone back to the Jets. Wow...There goes our secondary.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,178
Reaction score
30,220
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Everyone wants more money after you win. Every team goes through this. Heck, we didn't even win and we're losing a lot of players.
 

FrostyMouse

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 18, 2011
Messages
7,395
Reaction score
1,302
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Yeah, I know.
 

FrostyMouse

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 18, 2011
Messages
7,395
Reaction score
1,302
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
I laughed at this. Anyway,
if nothing else, she's quite cute.

 

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Messages
16,840
Reaction score
23,503
Age
43
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Pretty interesting NFL season this year.

The Ravens are making a run for most injured NFL team ever with literally all their good players on IR; most of this mediocre ones too. It's the Matt Shaub and Buck Allen show in Baltimore right now and I honestly did not know either of those players were on the Ravens two weeks ago.

The Patriots are somehow undefeated with all their best linemen and WRs out. How long can that continue? I have no idea, but I'm sure Belichick is thinking up new ways to cheat chat shall allow him to make the impossible a reality.

Then there's the Cowboys, who were clearly cursed for bringing Greg Hardy onto the team.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,178
Reaction score
30,220
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
This season reeks of 2001 when Jamal Lewis got injured and they were literally picking people off the street to play. I just don't even know...

The bigger problem with me is I'm just not as much of a NFL fan as I used to be. I'm just way too cynical about the powers that be and the game just isn't the same game I grew up loving to watch. I don't really know how to fix it either.
 

Charlie

SIGH-KO 🦄
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 7, 2009
Messages
14,757
Reaction score
26,041
Gender
Male
Country
United States
So for the iigles - who thinks Chip will get fired? :3c:zomg

E
A
G
L......WHAHAPPENTOTEAM?
:shootme
 

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Messages
16,840
Reaction score
23,503
Age
43
Gender
Male
Country
United States
This season reeks of 2001 when Jamal Lewis got injured and they were literally picking people off the street to play. I just don't even know...

The bigger problem with me is I'm just not as much of a NFL fan as I used to be. I'm just way too cynical about the powers that be and the game just isn't the same game I grew up loving to watch. I don't really know how to fix it either.
Some years there is just nothing that a team can do. The Steelers had one of those seasons a few years ago. If I were you I'd just be rooting for them to lose all their remaining games so they can pick high in the draft. I'm not a huge Flacco fan but he's been throwing to some awful receivers in the last few years.

And yeah, the NFL league office is basically a den of snakes with no sense of compassion or human decency. But that's all sports leagues in a nutshell.

So for the iigles - who thinks Chip will get fired? :3c:zomg

E
A
G
L......WHAHAPPENTOTEAM?
:shootme
He's got to get fired or at least relieved of GM duties. The Eagles personnel situation was never great but in trying to change it to conform to his system he's unquestionably made it worse.

In hindsight the Sam Bradford for Nick Foles isn't a huge deal since neither player is good but the fact that they gave up picks in addition to that is pretty brutal because I had to take one of them for the Steelers I'd grudgingly take Foles (Though, honestly, I'd still want Landry Jones to start over either). And Ryan Matthews is just plain better than DeMarco Murray for Chip's system. So he's cost the Eagles a lot with his personnel decisions.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,178
Reaction score
30,220
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Idk what it's like for other teams, but we usually don't worry regarding how our draft picks are going to be used. Our first rounder this year is a bit suspect, but the kid didn't even make it out of training camp so I'm not willing to completely sign him off as the next Travis Taylor or anything.

And it's not just the den of snakes thing, the game just doesn't grab me in the same way. Defense is basically not allowed to be played, people are being told to do the opposite of what they were taught to do growing up. The whole concussion controversy and the changes to the game are merely as an insurance policy for the owners so they can't be sued. But I don't know anyone in the last 100 years who didn't know there was a risk to your health if you played it. I mean, freaking Teddy Roosevelt basically saved the game by eventually making the NCAA and the NFL require helmets.

I have no problem with concussion protocol or research into CTE or creating safer equipment, but the bulk of these rule changes introduced within the past several years really make the game suffer as far as entertainment goes. And have injuries really declined at all as a result? Well, look at my team....
 
Top