Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2017] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doughboy

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 1, 2016
Messages
4,482
Reaction score
8,341
Country
United States
It's a solid adaptation. The only thing I didn't like was the pacing, but maybe it's different for people who haven't read the manga. My favourite characters are Izuku, All Might, and Todoroki.
I do see the pacing problems, it's more annoying than the recaps but that's just to fill the time slot. I would say Deku, Bakugo, Momo are some of my favs but watching the USJ arc Tsuyu is actually a good character w/ some best girl traits. Can't get with the hands, everything else about her is fine lol.
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Call me a blind fanboy, but again, that is totally on the editors' fault. They should've perfectly known in advance that they would only be able to animate the first 3 volumes, which is arguably the weakest parts of the manga given those were merely its baby steps. Instead of waiting for this season, they rushed out its production. While it didn't suffer in quality, it did suffer in sales. Between this and Toriko's hype backlash, I am convinced they can't take care of their own properties well enough to save their own damn lives.

If season 2 doesn't give it the boost we hope for, I swear to god, I am tempted to set up a GoFundMe page so I can fly straight to Shueisha's HQ and give them a good smacking.

Being honest, I'm not even American, but I can tell being American just got loooooot harder than it ever has. Go and ask any tourist if they're American you'll be sure if they're one if they try to avoid the question and hightail it out of there.
I was not talking about when the anime started though, at least not this time. I was talking about when the series I was just beginning. As you can see in the graph, the sales skyrocketed from volume 1 to 2 for a new series. That was when comparisons with One Piece, that had more or less the same pattern at the beginning, started. However, volume 3, 4, 5 and 6 suggested a decrease in sales... Volume 7 to 8 was when the anime started, I believe, because of the great boost there... I have to update this graph and see what pattern the sales have now, maybe I can do it later today.
My problem with the way My Hero Academia started was because it started selling too much right at the beginning, I think the hype was too strong. Series that start this way tend to form an arc, they start strong, then stagnate and starts to fall... I believe that Jump editors realized that if they don't make an anime at that time, the sales would decrease or stagnate, so they did it...

 

Newkerzy

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 22, 2008
Messages
7,560
Reaction score
5,412
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
Except that they didn't exactly calculate it as well as they should have. For starters, adapting the introductory arcs of a manga and then do a whole year gap isn't exactly the most calculated of ideas. If you're going to adapt a manga/LN then you should be sure it'll go all the way up to when the series finds its footing.
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
To be fair, based on the sales of early volumes they probably thought adapting those volumes would be phenomenal for the series.

They just made a gamble and well they didn't take a lose they didn't score as high as they hoped.

At the end of the day though we've been over this many times.
Having a Naruto or One Piece success if EXTREMELY rare. You can't just make something the next Naruto or the next One Piece. When it's meant to be it just happens. And it only happens once in a blue moon.
MHA averaging 500K-600K per volume is good.
I honestly just accept that it might not have been meant to be a million seller to begin with. There's no guarantee that it would have been pushing more even if it got a long runner. But where it's currently at its a a success. Just not the momumental status where it's so huge it's embedded in Japanese culture, which is rare anyway.
 

xAsum0x

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2014
Messages
1,763
Reaction score
1,582
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Funimation was also stroking MHA super hard with its promotion, so I believe everyone is a little to blame
I'm watching MHA's anime and it's crazy how much better it gets on the way... I saw a comment somewhere saying it's Naruto and Sky High together. The accuracy. favorite characters?
Everything's accurate. Fav characters are Shouto (though he didn't do much in the first season) and All Might.
 

ChocoBar9

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 29, 2008
Messages
2,955
Reaction score
2,573
Gender
Male
Country
United States
The Promised Neverland keeps strong... I wonder if it will surpass My Hero Academia in sales with volume 1... People said at that time that My Hero Academia would surpass One Piece, but the sales had a quick pace decrease and now it is stuck...
MHA had already went out of stock after the first week of its premiere volume release while Promised Neverland hasn't yet after a month despite the bigger print numbers 120k. It'll get a reprint in February with the second volume release but it won't be enough to topple MHA which had to go through many reprints of teh first volume because they kept selling out.
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
MHA had already went out of stock after the first week of its premiere volume release while Promised Neverland hasn't yet after a month despite the bigger print numbers 120k. It'll get a reprint in February with the second volume release but it won't be enough to topple MHA which had to go through many reprints of teh first volume because they kept selling out.
Didn't MHA have significantly less prints though?
Like, if TPN had the same amount of prints that MHA had during its first volume release it would have went out of stock by now too
 

ChocoBar9

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 29, 2008
Messages
2,955
Reaction score
2,573
Gender
Male
Country
United States


The series did well for its first year after the anime premiered with the important thing here is that they moved the second season to a much better slot than sticking it with its previous channel's new morning slot.We honestly can't make assumptions out of these things since its unpredictable but all signs show it doing well. The Naruto comparisons were always overblown and I'm glad Shuiesha didn't try to market it as the next Naruto like how they pushed Toriko next to One Piece shamelessly which backfired.
Didn't MHA have significantly less prints though?
Like, if TPN had the same amount of prints that MHA had during its first volume release it would have went out of stock by now too
First week MHA sold over 70k selling out immediately compared to Neverland's 50k selling less than half of its initially shipment and now its close to 90k after a month. Now the results of vol.2 will be a deciding factor since they're going to restock the first volume since its apparently hard to find in certain book chains now but I doubt its going to sell close to what MHA sold.
 
Last edited:

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
MHA had already went out of stock after the first week of its premiere volume release while Promised Neverland hasn't yet after a month despite the bigger print numbers 120k. It'll get a reprint in February with the second volume release but it won't be enough to topple MHA which had to go through many reprints of teh first volume because they kept selling out.
My Hero Academia went out of stock faster because its initial print was smaller.
But anyway, now that I investigated The Promised Neverland sales, I see that the hype is not based in data. 50k in two weeks is not a high number. It must do better than this to have any chance of having a high sales. Canceled mangas did such a thing in the past.
You guys makes me think that it is going better than actually it is going.
 

ChocoBar9

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 29, 2008
Messages
2,955
Reaction score
2,573
Gender
Male
Country
United States
My Hero Academia went out of stock faster because its initial print was smaller.
But anyway, now that I investigated The Promised Neverland sales, I see that the hype is not based in data. 50k in two weeks is not a high number. It must do better than this to have any chance of having a high sales. Canceled mangas did such a thing in the past.
You guys makes me think that it is going better than actually it is going.
And it went out of stock again with its second reprinting meaning it would have sold as much as AssClass first volume in its first week (120k) if they had shipped it with enough copies. Promised Neverland has been doing better than the majority of Jump's new series in its first volume post Naruto ending, the important thing here is that there's room to grow for it

Edit: Correct me if I'm wrong but did AssClass v.1 sell 120k after one week or three days?
 
Last edited:

Newkerzy

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 22, 2008
Messages
7,560
Reaction score
5,412
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
To be fair, based on the sales of early volumes they probably thought adapting those volumes would be phenomenal for the series.

They just made a gamble and well they didn't take a lose they didn't score as high as they hoped.

At the end of the day though we've been over this many times.
Having a Naruto or One Piece success if EXTREMELY rare. You can't just make something the next Naruto or the next One Piece. When it's meant to be it just happens. And it only happens once in a blue moon.
MHA averaging 500K-600K per volume is good.
I honestly just accept that it might not have been meant to be a million seller to begin with. There's no guarantee that it would have been pushing more even if it got a long runner. But where it's currently at its a a success. Just not the momumental status where it's so huge it's embedded in Japanese culture, which is rare anyway.

It is true that a Naruto and OP level of success is extremely rare, but you honestly can't deny Jump's obvious mistake of announcing an anime that would obviously have too few episodes at its premiere. What's more the parts that would be animated is the introductory arcs. You have to ask yourself this: whoever heard of an anime only adapting the introductory arcs and hope it will boost sales big time?



The series did well for its first year after the anime premiered with the important thing here is that they moved the second season to a much better slot than sticking it with its previous channel's new morning slot.We honestly can't make assumptions out of these things since its unpredictable but all signs show it doing well. The Naruto comparisons were always overblown and I'm glad Shuiesha didn't try to market it as the next Naruto like how they pushed Toriko next to One Piece shamelessly which backfired.

First week MHA sold over 70k selling out immediately compared to Neverland's 50k selling less than half of its initially shipment and now its close to 90k after a month. Now the results of vol.2 will be a deciding factor since they're going to restock the first volume since its apparently hard to find in certain book chains now but I doubt its going to sell close to what MHA sold.
I wouldn't completely say it's overblown, to be honest. There is one interesting thing to note though. The whole reason why MHA's popularity grew as it did is thanks to the fans. Even if the anime performed below expectations, it still is doing well enough in sales thanks to word of mouth on the net surrounding its hype. So, I think what we can take from here is that Shueisha should let the fans do their own thing if they want the series to spread.

Toriko's promotion backfired because fans weren't hyping it as much as they did. Put simply, they were trying to get the fans to follow their lead instead of the other way around when it came to the hype machine.
 

HIGAN0

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 18, 2016
Messages
743
Reaction score
1,880
Country
Eyrie
The question now.. is there any chance for more seasons of the MHA anime ??? or shueisha will drop the series just like soma( assuming that the series won't have more tv anime content in future )
 

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
Academia won't reach million copies per volume those type of series are extremely rare nowadays. The anime should've waited but even if they did I can't see it reaching that 1M mark per volume. It looks like from the newer series only Haikyuu barely reached that point.

Shueisha wanting to push Toriko heavily was kinda justified since his previous series did incredibly well and was competing with One Piece & HxH in the magazine. If the mangaka never gotten arrested or in the sex scandal to begin with then Seikimatsu Leader den takeshi could've been part of the big 3 (taking Bleach's place), assuming it got an anime adaptation. Also he's very good friends with Oda so why not.
 

Nakura

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 25, 2016
Messages
1,564
Reaction score
2,181
Age
30
Country
Ireland
The question now.. is there any chance for more seasons of the MHA anime ??? or shueisha will drop the series just like soma( assuming that the series won't have more tv anime content in future )
I'm confident that we'll get at least 3 seasons... then again I'm just desperate to see the Hideout Raid arc animated. As I've mentioned before, the president of Bones said he wanted it to be a project they can keep coming back to. However, those are just words and doesn't take Shueisha into account. The series is doing well so far regardless.
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,108
Reaction score
5,856
Age
33
Country
United States
It is important to note that while Takeshi was incredibly popular for a while, it actually had begun a decline in rankings before the series was forced to end.
Sure, an anime could have likely boosted the rankings up again, but the series also had already been runnimg for four years and still hadn't got an anime. it was something I noticed while I was doing that Bleach rankings analysys last year.
 

Kadir0

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 26, 2016
Messages
909
Reaction score
1,475
Country
The Wall
I have a feeling Black Clover will rob MHA when its anime comes out. That manga is the Donald Trump of Jump, it has the devil's luck.
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
The question now.. is there any chance for more seasons of the MHA anime ??? or shueisha will drop the series just like soma( assuming that the series won't have more tv anime content in future )
Shokugeki no Soma will have a new season, the last season ended with this intention at least.
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
I strongly believe MHA will get its entire run adapted unless it has a STEEP decline. It's just a matter of when.
However, I think it'll be consistently until the Raid arc. Unless it receives a momumental boost by the (whether it's the manga, TV Ratings or BD sales) I think there will be a bit of a wait after that
 

Nakura

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 25, 2016
Messages
1,564
Reaction score
2,181
Age
30
Country
Ireland
I dunno, for some reason I have strong feeling that season 2 will be 2 cours(or a split 2-cour season since it's Bones).
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top