Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2017] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil

jagman1x3

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Sep 19, 2012
Messages
2,616
Reaction score
2,843
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Thats a weird way to spell Reborn.
Reborn can't be a romance manga because then Pastel wouldn't have the record for least progression ever anymore.

Both male and female according to Wikipedia and my experience.
Officially it's a male magazine because all S-E's stuff is, in practice it's not fooling anyone because almost all the artists are female and it even uses colored ink instead of black like actual shojo magazines do. Most stores just outright put it and volumes for its series in shojo sections. There's also Comic Gene which is basically the same thing, but that was explicitly advertised as "for girls who like seinen."
 

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
I just remembered...this was the best romance in shonen (spoiler if you haven't watched/read HxH, it was great in the anime) IMO
 
Last edited:

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Officially it's a male magazine because all S-E's stuff is, in practice it's not fooling anyone because almost all the artists are female and it even uses colored ink instead of black like actual shojo magazines do. Most stores just outright put it and volumes for its series in shojo sections. There's also Comic Gene which is basically the same thing, but that was explicitly advertised as "for girls who like seinen."
Female author doesn't make a manga Shoujo. Everything I've read from there looks Shounen for me. Anyway, Horimiya is the topic right now and it is Shounen. Anyway, I already explained myself about Shoujo. No need to make an argument.
 

TotalEconomist

For the Empire!
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 16, 2015
Messages
4,312
Reaction score
3,702
Age
35
Gender
Female
Country
United Nations
Another great Neverland chapter. I don't know how, but I swear Aizen was reincarnated into Neverland somehow.
"When were you under the impression that I didn't know that you were a lying traitor?"
 

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Fire punch just went full retard

it was revealed why did the Ice Witch want to end all life form in the galaxy

because Star Wars movie was cancelled and she didn't get to see it

:cussing
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I already have ESJ subscription until August 2018! If VIZ continues to give these discounts this subscription will become a heirloom. XD
 

Divinenega

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Oct 20, 2010
Messages
469
Reaction score
96
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I'd say best romance I've read in a shonen manga was probably the one in Psyren. It was well developed and Iwasaki didn't beat around the bush with it either. Kenshin's worked well too, but I felt it had to force things more, here and there.
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
I already have ESJ subscription until August 2018! If VIZ continues to give these discounts this subscription will become a heirloom. XD
I bummed because mines ends in just a few days and I can't add on to it now
 

jagman1x3

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Sep 19, 2012
Messages
2,616
Reaction score
2,843
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I bummed because mines ends in just a few days and I can't add on to it now
I'm pretty sure you can, you just need to click the button to buy it really quickly before it gets grayed out and it'll add a year to your subscription unless they fixed that.
 

TM2

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jan 23, 2017
Messages
155
Reaction score
95
Age
34
Country
Hong Kong
Speaking of weaving romance into action-heavy narratives. Are there any romances in non-rpg games that are implemented well? I know we are talking about different mediums here but just trying to gauge how romantic elements could be integrated into the plot without becoming a excuse-motivation.
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
I'm pretty sure you can, you just need to click the button to buy it really quickly before it gets grayed out and it'll add a year to your subscription unless they fixed that.
Doesn't work for me
 

TotalEconomist

For the Empire!
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 16, 2015
Messages
4,312
Reaction score
3,702
Age
35
Gender
Female
Country
United Nations
Fire punch just went full retard

it was revealed why did the Ice Witch want to end all life form in the galaxy

because Star Wars movie was cancelled and she didn't get to see it

:cussing
That's actually hilarious...and apparently, it's Star Wars Episode 1 lololol.

Now I have a reason to read this.
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,296
Reaction score
7,331
Age
33
Country
Scotland
What's the longest single arc in a WSJ manga? Bleach's Arrancar stuff?

The new Akagi manga news got me thinking.
 

RafaFedKilla

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 3, 2013
Messages
1,727
Reaction score
464
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Subbed to ESJ for the price and t check out the new series. Don't let me down mangaka.
 

Torca

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 15, 2010
Messages
1,159
Reaction score
1,120
Gender
Male
Country
Poland
Fire punch just went full retard

it was revealed why did the Ice Witch want to end all life form in the galaxy

because Star Wars movie was cancelled and she didn't get to see it

:cussing
In before Fire Punch wins Manga Taisho Award.
 

Kadir0

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 26, 2016
Messages
909
Reaction score
1,475
Country
The Wall
I was skimming through the comments just to find someone mention Shaman King, and sadly I haven't seen anyone.

Anna and Yoh were the greatest couple in Jump for me.
 

ChocoBar9

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 29, 2008
Messages
2,955
Reaction score
2,573
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Anna and Yoh were the greatest couple in Jump for me.
They were terrible. My god Takei's favoritism towards Anna was so blatant.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
What Battle Shonen series do you guys think handled Romance the best?

Imo Yu Yu Hakusho did the best job with its romance
By pushing it to the side and not really developing it?

Kenshin is really the only series I think it which the romance ties incredibly well to the plot and actually does a great job in strengthening characters rather than weakening it (this has always been a problem with battle shounen manga in which if the MC hooks up it with his sweetheart it automatically believes that she has to be a bitch or non-existent). Also not sure if this classifies by "battle shounen" standards but Rokudenashi Blues had a well done romance as well.
 

Newkerzy

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 22, 2008
Messages
7,560
Reaction score
5,411
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
Another good series with a well-written romance subplot is obviously FMA. Of course, it's non-Jump though.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top