Honestly, by this logic you're saying that almost all non-Jump manga just shouldn't exist because so few mangakas manage to sell well elsewhere. A series sales doesn't necessarily have anything to do with how good it is which is what you're implying. Outside of Jump there are maybe 50 series, probably considerably less that sell to your standards, so the rest should just disappear right? So "As "a fan of manga" you effectively want to put all mangaka out of a job and destroy the industry? You do realise not every mangaka is out there to make a fortune? Just like any other profession, people do it for different reasons. Many of them are probably just satisfied by being able to work in their dream job and make a living out of it. The difference between a 30k seller and a 200k+ seller is the difference between an liveable wage and an fairly high wage. It's not like they can't survive, they're just not rich... Granted they probably have less stress to live up to expectations too as well.
As a "manga lover", I am always expecting good manga. I couldn't care less if it's the next big thing. A series doesn't have to be a big hit to satisfy the mangaka creating it. You make it sound like all mangaka should just be put out of their misery, when in reality most of them probably aren't in misery... As long as they're satisfied, what is the issue? Black Clover is the second biggest hit out of Jump in almost 4 years. If we have to sacrifice amazing series like Sesuji and HZ for "hits" like that, I don't want them. I know this is Jump and all, but the industry isn't what it used to be. You can't expect Jump to find a full lineup of 200k+ sellers...
Out of interest, what series do you translate?
From jump: to my Manga Editor: One Piece, MHA, BC, Souma, HQ, Boruto. We shall do the 3 new veteran mangaka series.
from young jump: Tokyo Ghoul re, Uratarou
From weekly magazine: Fire Force, FT, Nanatsu, Ippo
From SQ: PE
from shonen sunday/urasunday: magi/sinbad
From other magazines: Yowamushi Pedal, Smokin' Parade, Shingeki no Kyojin, Origin, and some clamp series
I also helped other groups providing raws or editing: TF, Kingdom, Kimetsu no Yaiba, Samon-kun, Yuragisou no Yuuna-san, Saiki, HZ!, and some others.
We also do old series (cause they are not licensed in brasil or never were released by any good Manga Editor) but there's too many to mention.
I help in Jaiminisbox as well.
I also were part of Dattebayo back in 2006. I used to do analogic fansubbing back in the day when VHS was still a "thing" (I remember the very first episode that kaizoku released for instance).
Pretty much I translated anime and manga for the last 15 years. I will be 30 this year (yeah, I'm old)
Okay, I can be satisfied with that.
It should only stay in the magazine if they cannot find better, and well, they haven't been able to for a while which is why they're there in the first place. Compared to most of the series that have been going through Jump lately, 20k sales for a first volume is a lot. Out of the 10 series that started in 2016, 5 sold abysmally, and DP and OG will probably end up the same = 70% of series can't even make it to that level... At the end of the day, I guess Shueisha prefers 20k over 0. Once they get better series that outclass the low sellers, then sure get rid of them.
Yes, it's that. Even so, it's weird to prefer 30k over 300 or more (For toriko, Reborn or other obviusly canceled series). But we probably we'll never know the truth.
The manga about sumo is in jump only cos the editor in chief likes it. It dosent matter how well it sell or how many people like it. Only one guy need to like it and thats the editor of jump. He is the god of jump. Everybody else is just trash.
Somebody likes it. But the majority does not and this is pretty much obvious and everything that should matter... But...
Again, the magazine brings more money than the volume sales! The Zumo manga is in there because is popular in the magazine!
It's pretty much that. Just let's see how long it will continue that way. Remember that the printed version numbers are gradatively degrating. In the future, sales will be pretty much everything that matters unless they give some huge discount so that people can read an entire magazine (even skipping the manga they don't like) over some series. Not sure if this will be financially viable though.