Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2017] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,108
Reaction score
5,854
Age
33
Country
United States
I did say that was my own subjective thoughts on it at the end and that it was in your own opinion to agree or disagree
You don't know the meaning of the word subjective.
Us in this thread have seen many times series placed high in the weeks prior to its first ranking only to to officially rank at the bottom and become cancelled.
We've also seen series place lower prior to ranking only to rank high once officially ranked.
Sounds pretty objective that pre ranking placement does not matter and thus is pointless to speculate on.
 

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Yeah Koi, it literally doesn't matter at all. We have numerous examples proving it. Not trying to doglike on you, but it's a literal fact and not interpretive.
 

TyVip

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 30, 2015
Messages
2,720
Reaction score
2,814
Gender
Male
Country
Mariejoa
Do you guys think The Promised Neverland will be the next poster child that will not leave the top 4, overtake Haikyuu's spot? Or is it will be in the 5-7 zone.

Yuragi can float anywhere on the TOC, as long as the sales are good, Tadahiro can do whatever he want for the time being.

KnY also establishes itself in the magazine. It will probably overtake HZ's spot once HZ ended (5-7 zone).
 
Last edited:

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,108
Reaction score
5,854
Age
33
Country
United States
Do you guys think The Promised Neverland will be the next poster child that will not leave the top 4, overtake Haikyuu's spot? Or is it will be in the 5-7 zone.

Yuragi can float (:p) anywhere on the TOC, as long as the sales are good, Tadahiro can do whatever he want for the time being.

KnY also establishes itself in the magazine. It will probably overtake HZ's spot once HZ ended (5-7 zone).
Neverland will probably be the next Death Note or AssClass. Have a short run (for successful Jump standards). Remain near the top for most of its run and then end naturally.
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
Is there a difference between Gag and Comedy series?

Because when I here the word "gag" my mind automatically just think of something like Garfield, Calvin and Hobbes and Peanuts. I usually just think of short episodic stories that set up a simple plot, tell a bunch of jokes around that plot, and come up with a new short plot the next issue. And when I think here comedy I usually think of full stories with that are meant to be funny.

I just see some ppl refer to some series as gag series and other series as comedy series.
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,108
Reaction score
5,854
Age
33
Country
United States
Is there a difference between Gag and Comedy series?

Because when I here the word "gag" my mind automatically just think of something like Garfield, Calvin and Hobbes and Peanuts. I usually just think of short episodic stories that set up a simple plot, tell a bunch of jokes around that plot, and come up with a new short plot the next issue. And when I think here comedy I usually think of full stories with that are meant to be funny.

I just see some ppl refer to some series as gag series and other series as comedy series.
There is no difference.
People who claim otherwise are the same types of people that try and act like a movie and a film are different things.
 

Kadir0

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 26, 2016
Messages
909
Reaction score
1,475
Country
The Wall
Glad to see Neverland back on track.
I wonder what Hungry Marie's secret is?
It's screaming to me a vampire, but I really pray it is not a supernatural.
 

Nemesis

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2013
Messages
1,706
Reaction score
1,826
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I'm happy for Neverland but too bad that Gintama is in the bottom with Saiki near that
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
There is no difference.
People who claim otherwise are the same types of people that try and act like a movie and a film are different things.
Typically with American comics gags series are stuff along the line of comic strips and short issues that are only a few pages. And are paneled differently.

And straight up full issues aren't labeled as gags. I normally see gag being tagged with things that are extremely short and rely on telling one joke. Or sometimes multiple jokes that are separated in one issue
 

jagman1x3

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Sep 19, 2012
Messages
2,616
Reaction score
2,843
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Typically with American comics gags series are stuff along the line of comic strips and short issues that are only a few pages. And are paneled differently.

And straight up full issues aren't labeled as gags. I normally see gag being tagged with things that are extremely short and rely on telling one joke
There's short-form gag vs. long-form comedy, it's just that people tend to leave out the words that are actually important when discussing them.
 

Scruffy8642

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 3, 2016
Messages
1,129
Reaction score
1,057
Age
29
Country
Australia
Is there a difference between Gag and Comedy series?

Because when I here the word "gag" my mind automatically just think of something like Garfield, Calvin and Hobbes and Peanuts. I usually just think of short episodic stories that set up a simple plot, tell a bunch of jokes around that plot, and come up with a new short plot the next issue. And when I think here comedy I usually think of full stories with that are meant to be funny.

I just see some ppl refer to some series as gag series and other series as comedy series.
Same here. I consider Saiki and Isobe Gag manga as they're episodic with no real purpose, while Gintama and Beelzebub are comedies. But the words are so interchangeable people will call them what they want.
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
There's short-form gag vs. long-form comedy, it's just that people tend to leave out the words that are actually important when discussing them.
Yeah I suppose so.
When I hear gag I typically think of something like this
 

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Neverland will probably be the next Death Note or AssClass. Have a short run (for successful Jump standards). Remain near the top for most of its run and then end naturally.
I seriously doubt it'll have a short run, not with all the world building and Krone wanting the kids to free humanity from the demons.
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
A rough prediction, but my guess for Neverland length is 20-30 volumes
 

Kadir0

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 26, 2016
Messages
909
Reaction score
1,475
Country
The Wall
If it took 4 volumes just to escape from this farm, I bet fixing their shitty society will take a lot of volumes.
 

HIGAN0

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 18, 2016
Messages
743
Reaction score
1,880
Country
Eyrie
Shosekiranking 2/13-2/19 :

2 - One Piece 84
10- My Hero Academia 12
43- The Promised Neverland 02
92- The Promised Neverland 01
197- Kimetsu no Yaiba 04
211- Kimetsu no Yaiba 02
219- Kimetsu no Yaiba 01
230- Kimetsu no Yaiba 03
344- Ibitsu no Amalgam 01

Spring Weapon is out from top 500

30位20500/50位14300/100位7900/200位4550/300位3300/400位2500/500位2100
 

DyanSon

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Feb 4, 2017
Messages
367
Reaction score
134
Age
29
Country
Philippines
90k(17days) for Neveland that's pretty good leg and its high ranking too. Glad that all volume of KnY is on Top 300 totally deserve it.
 

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
To be honest I don't really know why It'll come that late. Maybe it has to do with the fact the best things usually come out later then expected it's either that or it's just one of those unexplained feelings a person gets every so often that feels right.
It could come sooner. It's Pierrot after all and they are a big studio.

I'm just glad that Toei didn't touch it. It could've been better for it's success but the adaptation will be awful as always from Toei. Their animation/direction is so bland and boring and it's only interesting when Naotoshi Shida comes to animate something.
 

Swavey

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Jan 18, 2017
Messages
97
Reaction score
99
Country
The Wall
It could come sooner. It's Pierrot after all and they are a big studio.

I'm just glad that Toei didn't touch it. It could've been better for it's success but the adaptation will be awful as always from Toei. Their animation/direction is so bland and boring and it's only interesting when Naotoshi Shida comes to animate something.
Toei could have made it into a smaller Toriko all Studio Clown can do is use it as filler for a few months till Twin Star Exorcists comes back.
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,295
Reaction score
7,328
Age
33
Country
Scotland
I know they started in successive issues but it's still weird seeing just how often Yuragi and Kimetsu rank next to each other.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top