Has the 5th chapter come out yet? Also, I'm really enjoying it so far, it's nice to see another side of the "hero" society that wasn't really explored much in the main series.
5th chapter of Takeshi should get done in a day or two.
I'd really like to do it faster but I'm trying to finish the last 3rd of the Jojo novel The Book along with weekly Gintama and monthly Jojolion. And sometimes working on 81diver. And also trying to keep myself sane and do other things besides work. I'm hoping to be able to release it more frequently and get into the good stuff in a few months once these other projects I started in like 2012 or earlier are done.
I'm surprised by how much I'm enjoying it. It actually does a great job at world building the main series, not to mention that the characters are fun and play off of each other nicely.
I also read the first 2 chapters of Isobe and I'm mad I haven't been able to read it all these years. It's hilarious!
Guys, if this is going to just devolve into arguing about the MHA anime to the exclusion of anything related to the actual magazine then please take it to the forum that exists for that purpose.
I was thinking the other day how I want a cars racing shonen manga
I know Shonen Gangan had Run Day Burst and Shonen Rival had Blazer Drive both didn't do too well but I think something like Speed Racer would work really well in Jump
and for that matter where did all the giant mecha manga went to?
what was even the last giant mecha we got in jump? does anyone remember? what happen to Level 5 mecha manga they announced last year?
it's fun, I like that the premise deal with low street levels crimes and leave the rest to the pros
they did say they won't pick it up no?
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
I was thinking the other day how I want a cars racing shonen manga
I know Shonen Gangan had Run Day Burst and Shonen Rival had Blazer Drive both didn't do too well but I think something like Speed Racer would work really well in Jump
and for that matter where did all the giant mecha manga went to?
what was even the last giant mecha we got in jump? does anyone remember? what happen to Level 5 mecha manga they announced last year?
So I finished Rurouni Kenshin yesterday, and want to hear some others thoughts on it. It was underwhelming, but satisfying... The Jinchuu arc was pretty awesome and had some of the best romance in any Shounen I've read. And the Kyoto arc was alright, that's it. All the arcs before it were extremely mediocre, and every character that wasn't a villain at some stage aside Kenshin is just terrible. Megumi, Kaoru, Yahiko, theyre all just a pain the entire series. Not to mention it had some of the most jarring panelwork I think Ive seen.
I really don't understand how this series is so damn popular. I can't imagine most people stuck with it long enough to even get to Jinchuu considering how mediocre it was at the beginning. Id even go as far as saying as a whole, it was one of, if not the worst 'successful' Jump series ive read. It does not surprise me in the slightest Watsuki has failed to find success since. It must just be a change in the times, or it was the first series of its kind, but I can't see it surviving past 20 chapters in the magazine today.
It was a flashy swordfighting manga with a bit of romance (but not too much) and a strong slice of life side to it set in an era that wasn't too common to see in shounen at that point.
It also started towards the end of Jump's golden age so everything else was ending around the time it was getting big, leaving it without much competition for the top spot (especially on the battle shounen front). It was pretty much just it and Nube for a few years until One Piece, Yugioh and HxH got big (Jojo of course was still around but it's a big of a unique case).
So I finished Rurouni Kenshin yesterday, and want to hear some others thoughts on it. It was underwhelming, but satisfying... The Jinchuu arc was pretty awesome and had some of the best romance in any Shounen I've read. And the Kyoto arc was alright, that's it. All the arcs before it were extremely mediocre, and every character that wasn't a villain at some stage aside Kenshin is just terrible. Megumi, Kaoru, Yahiko, theyre all just a pain the entire series. Not to mention it had some of the most jarring panelwork I think Ive seen.
I really don't understand how this series is so damn popular. I can't imagine most people stuck with it long enough to even get to Jinchuu considering how mediocre it was at the beginning. Id even go as far as saying as a whole, it was one of, if not the worst 'successful' Jump series ive read. It does not surprise me in the slightest Watsuki has failed to find success since. It must just be a change in the times, or it was the first series of its kind, but I can't see it surviving past 20 chapters in the magazine today.
So I finished Rurouni Kenshin yesterday, and want to hear some others thoughts on it. It was underwhelming, but satisfying... The Jinchuu arc was pretty awesome and had some of the best romance in any Shounen I've read. And the Kyoto arc was alright, that's it. All the arcs before it were extremely mediocre, and every character that wasn't a villain at some stage aside Kenshin is just terrible. Megumi, Kaoru, Yahiko, theyre all just a pain the entire series. Not to mention it had some of the most jarring panelwork I think Ive seen.
I really don't understand how this series is so damn popular. I can't imagine most people stuck with it long enough to even get to Jinchuu considering how mediocre it was at the beginning. Id even go as far as saying as a whole, it was one of, if not the worst 'successful' Jump series ive read. It does not surprise me in the slightest Watsuki has failed to find success since. It must just be a change in the times, or it was the first series of its kind, but I can't see it surviving past 20 chapters in the magazine today.
You are a rarity in itself my friend, the Kyoto arc is one of those premiere arcs that nobody shuts up about (Dark Tournament, Stardust Crusaders, Frieza, Alabasta, Soul Society, Chuunin Exam, Chimera Ants, etc.) and Jinchuu is considered a significant step down from it. Overall I agree that much like YYH Kenshin gets oversold for more than what it is so it might not live up to the same hype for most people when they realized that when people say Kenshin is good they specifically mean that certain aspects of Kenshin is good. Kenshin came out when Jump was in destitute and had lost what were their three pillars at the time (Slam Dunk, Dragonball and YYH) and for the first time in years was getting beat by Sunday thanks to Detective Conan becoming a huge hit so before the onslaught of One Piece came in and literally destroyed the competition Kenshin was considering the last stand Jump had so it premiered at the time where the magazine didn't have much to stand against it so in short it just got lucky but unfortunately Watsuki has never gotten another hit of its magnitude ever again and had resorted to crawling back to it to make ends meet. Its definitely not the worst successful Jump series (that title goes to Reborn) but I can definitely see why people would be more critical towards it now.
I honestly think Reborn! has more positive qualities than Black Clover.
At least Reborn! had some unique stuff on the surface. (Not by any means saying Reborn! is good.
While the series has gotten better, it's still not possible for me read a chapter without cringing, laughing, or being offended at how terrible of a writer Tabata is.
I'd still call it the worst successful series in Jump history.
Also, Yu Yu Hakusho is frustrating for me. It was my favorite series growing up. Liked it more than Dragon Ball. So many memovies of feeling sneaky watching it on Adult Swim at first and losing my mind when it started airing airing on Toonami.
I remember one Christmas (probably 2004) I woke up to a ton of YYH action figures, shirts, and a vhs of the pioneer dub of the second movie.
Series honestly has a place in my heart I dont think any other has though so it's hard to critique it.
The series also has so much good. Incredible atmosphere, panelwork, great character interactions, and some really neat writing. Things TogashI is known for.
But a lot of the series is also mediocre or bad.
Everyone talks about the Sensui arc after the Doctor and the final arc, but what about Maze Castle? or probably half of the Dark Tournament?
I think Yu Yu Hakusho is still readable and worth a read. But I wouldn't call it a masterpiece. I'd put it along the lines of a Saint Seiya. Something exponentially important and innovative in its own way for Jump, however it's also very clearly flawed.
Still need to read Ruroni Kenshin. Imo YYH aged really well and is still one of my favorites. I often struggle over whether I think YYH or HxH is better
Yes those OVAs are a masterpiece that's almost too good for the franchise. Revelations and Shin Kyoto Arc are terrible though.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
You are a rarity in itself my friend, the Kyoto arc is one of those premiere arcs that nobody shuts up about (Dark Tournament, Stardust Crusaders, Frieza, Alabasta, Soul Society, Chuunin Exam, Chimera Ants, etc.) and Jinchuu is considered a significant step down from it. Overall I agree that much like YYH Kenshin gets oversold for more than what it is so it might not live up to the same hype for most people when they realized that when people say Kenshin is good they specifically mean that certain aspects of Kenshin is good. Kenshin came out when Jump was in destitute and had lost what were their three pillars at the time (Slam Dunk, Dragonball and YYH) and for the first time in years was getting beat by Sunday thanks to Detective Conan becoming a huge hit so before the onslaught of One Piece came in and literally destroyed the competition Kenshin was considering the last stand Jump had so it premiered at the time where the magazine didn't have much to stand against it so in short it just got lucky but unfortunately Watsuki has never gotten another hit of its magnitude ever again and had resorted to crawling back to it to make ends meet. Its definitely not the worst successful Jump series (that title goes to Reborn) but I can definitely see why people would be more critical towards it now.
Sunday never beat Jump. It was Magazine that beat Jump temporarily in 1997 when Jump's Print circulaion was around 4.05 Million and Magazine subsequently peaked at 4.36 Million and that was due to the fact that the series had become rather more seinen like. A lot of the series in the time period between 1995 and 1997 that were running were written with content that appealed to adults more than kids. Adults that read Shonen Jump want the stuff that appeals to kids, not them. Otherwise they'd read seinen manga. Kids also weren't as into it and so the print circulation dropped but that was true for the industry as a whole. Its just that soon after Dragon Ball ended, lots of people stopped buy Jump and so they experienced a significant drop. It should be noted that the print numbers were also possibly inflated. One Piece put Jump back on Top again.
Kenshin was also not expected to do as well as it did. It was a historical manga set in the Meiji Era. Historical manga have historically not done well in Shonen Jump. Even recently, you can count the number of historical manga that are hits on your hands. Kenshin pushed past this and became a worldwide hit.
I am however partial to Kenshin as it was one of the first Manga I ever read but to me, its a masterpiece. Very few Shonen, or Manga in general do romance as organic as Kenshin did. Kaoru grew from being a girl that had a crush and didn't really understand Kenshin, to a woman that really understood Kenshin's pain and came to deeply care for him. She became an existence that was needed by Kenshin. The actual Battle components were also well done. Due to it being Shonen manga, they exaggerated human limits but there were few unexplained powerups. Besides the Amakakeru Ryu no Hirameki training, There were actually barely any powerups at all and Kenshin wasn't unbeatable.
As any Shonen Jump manga that becomes popular, and, as it is inspired by american comic books, My Hero Academia had to have spinoffs some day. By now these are a light novel about the life of the students outside the academy, a 4-panel gag manga version of MHA, and, a little bit unsurprisingly, one about illegal heroes. This is the one I´m gonna review. How is it?
GOOD
The series has an interesting premise concerning steroids that improve outstandingly the quirks of people. This is an understandable case that´s ripe for a mystery/action story.
Knuckleduster, being the illegal alternative to All Might, is a sort of likable guy and mentor who is the most concerned about being a hero at every ocassion possible.
Having 3-5 panels, is an easy read, and the elements have a placement that makes it understandable to read.
MIXED
Unfortunately, the premise only got mayor developments at chapter 5. Since chapter 1 however, it´s mostly concerned with being an episodic adventure with little plot progression, and it basically repeats the plot points we already now.
The last point also means that, despite a dangerous plot happening in the background, it´s undermined by some pointless character interactions that contribute to nothing new.
The other main characters are also a mixed bag. The Crawler is an understandable nice guy, but it lacks some things that make Deku has to make him relatable, or, I feel it cliche here. Pop Step is more of an useless girl that could serve as a valuable tool for the team, if it wasn´t because she is more concerned with being an idol.
The art has a cartoony feel that´s serviceable for the series. It´s okay, it´s easy to read, and you can tell easily which element is in which panel, but nothing much special.
BAD
I have nothing against cameos or references, but this manga is not a comedy one. Much of these come across as blatant, and don´t elicit a chuckle(what does Pokemon has to do with the MHA universe?). I understand why the Heroes should be present here, but it makes me think that Illegals should stand more on its own feet.
VEREDICT: Overall, while it´s well set up, Illegals needs some work to be a fun read for MHA fans. It has all the elements there, but it needs to build more on them. I´ll continue it because I´m interested to know where it goes, and get a review for you.
RATING: Don´t bother reading it / Read it with caution / Go check it out / Read it over and over again
I understand your point, I, too, agree that Yu Yu Hakusho isn't a masterpiece, but I just can't agree with this part. I honestly think that Yu Yu Hakusho at its worst is better than Saint Seiya at its finest.
I might just check Kenshin cause y'all talk about it a good amount. Like Rica I grew up with classics on Toonami and Adult Swim. Idk how old it is but it sounds old going off how y'all talk about it.
There's been an update to our forum rules to broaden crediting/sourcing to all series news/announcement, etc. Please read HERE
To manage thread loading speeds and general user experience, we'd apppreciate if volume covers could be wrapped in spoiler threads, going forward. If you have any questions, reach out to a staff member. Thanks for your cooperation.
We use cookies
Essential cookies keep the site working. Analytics cookies help us improve.