Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2017] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Koi Kage

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 7, 2013
Messages
1,210
Reaction score
311
Gender
Male
Country
United States
A curious question arises after reading that interview could some of Tabata's writing shortcomings be attributed to his rookie editor?
 

Nakura

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 25, 2016
Messages
1,564
Reaction score
2,181
Age
30
Country
Ireland
A curious question arises after reading that interview could some of Tabata's writing shortcomings be attributed to his rookie editor?
I wouldn't really say so. Sure, an editor can fix up a story here and there, but there are plenty of cases where the editor doesn't intervene much with the story, simply because they deem that the mangaka's planned story is good enough for the most part.
 

TyVip

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 30, 2015
Messages
2,720
Reaction score
2,814
Gender
Male
Country
Mariejoa
I will never understood the hype around Hungry Joker. But what do I know, i'm not a Youtuber ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
 

G_I_A

Banned
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2008
Messages
1,089
Reaction score
401
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I'm not a youtuber as well... The hype was because the one shot (it was awesome) and the serialized version messed it up.

The only point about the main series that I found unique was the powers coming from science. Being a PHD myself I considered it fascinating.

Too bad It failed miserably... Even so It holds a special place in my heart:

 

Koi Kage

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 7, 2013
Messages
1,210
Reaction score
311
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I wouldn't really say so. Sure, an editor can fix up a story here and there, but there are plenty of cases where the editor doesn't intervene much with the story, simply because they deem that the mangaka's planned story is good enough for the most part.
It was just a thought that I had whether it truly would make a difference could be debated, but in the end it's the editor who lets the chapter goes onto the final stages of work so what ever they deem works works I guess.

Hungry Joker was pretty damn bad as well. Tabata is just a terrible writer regardless.
While I'm not going to say that Hungry Joker was the best written story out there I can appreciate what it was trying to do at the time I would place bets that had To Promise Neverland had come out in place of Hungry Joker at that time it probably would've ended the same way.

Eh, any Jump battle manga that gets scanlated will have a bandwagon formed of shit taste normies.
Everyone is entitled to there own tastes and besides those "normies" as you call them are what make series popular in the end so why judge people based on the tastes that have made quit a few series big.
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,108
Reaction score
5,856
Age
33
Country
United States
I'm not a youtuber as well... The hype was because the one shot (it was awesome) and the serialized version messed it up.

The only point about the main series that I found unique was the powers coming from science. Being a PHD myself I considered it fascinating.

Too bad It failed miserably... Even so It holds a special place in my heart:

If you were a PHD i'd expect you'd realize that Tabata doesn't know shit about science. He just cares about things looking cool.
He has absolutely nothing in his head.

Speaking of Hungry Joker though, one reason Dr. Stone irks me is Senkuu reminds me a lot of Heiji. Can't stand pseudo-intellectual main characters like that.
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I will never understood the hype around Hungry Joker. But what do I know, i'm not a Youtuber ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
The oneshot is very good, it won the Golden Future Cup and everybody waited for a long time for the serialization. It was a disaster... That's why you cannot expect anything from Jump new series because it go down the hill pretty quickly.
 

G_I_A

Banned
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2008
Messages
1,089
Reaction score
401
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
If you were a PHD i'd expect you'd realize that Tabata doesn't know shit about science. He just cares about things looking cool.
He has absolutely nothing in his head.

Speaking of Hungry Joker though, one reason Dr. Stone irks me is Senkuu reminds me a lot of Heiji. Can't stand pseudo-intellectual main characters like that.
Yes he does not know. I'm only saying this because of some corrected references. Not trying to divinate the guy. Far from it.
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I'm not a youtuber as well... The hype was because the one shot (it was awesome) and the serialized version messed it up.

The only point about the main series that I found unique was the powers coming from science. Being a PHD myself I considered it fascinating.

Too bad It failed miserably... Even so It holds a special place in my heart:

We know that fireplaces are not common in Brazil, but we can arrange something so that you can get rid of this trash. xD
 

G_I_A

Banned
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2008
Messages
1,089
Reaction score
401
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
We know that fireplaces are not common in Brazil, but we can arrange something so that you can get rid of this trash. xD
And replace for what? Nisekoi or We Can't Study or some other shitty romcom? No thanks.
 

TyVip

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 30, 2015
Messages
2,720
Reaction score
2,814
Gender
Male
Country
Mariejoa
Nisekoi is a masterpiece. Childhood promises and amnesia, perfect combination :feelsbadman .
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
And replace for what? Nisekoi or We Can't Study or some other shitty romcom? No thanks.
Interesting how people are attacking me now with We Can't Study as if I was a big fan of it. I didn't say it was very good so far and people are thinking I'm a fan of it? Continue using Nisekoi to attack me for a little while, please. Thanks. :derp
I don't know anything with 3 volumes good enough to replace it, sorry. :(
 

G_I_A

Banned
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2008
Messages
1,089
Reaction score
401
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
There's no replacement for a series. They are all unique in their own kind. Canceled or not.

Without Hungry Joker Black Clover would definitely not be what it is. The nightmareish threat for you MHA fans =)
 

Kadir0

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 26, 2016
Messages
909
Reaction score
1,475
Country
The Wall
I would place bets that had To Promise Neverland had come out in place of Hungry Joker at that time it probably would've ended the same way.
Is this another if One Piece had come out this time it would have been cancelled?
 

Koi Kage

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 7, 2013
Messages
1,210
Reaction score
311
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Is this another if One Piece had come out this time it would have been cancelled?
Not really the way I meant it more of how there almost the exact same genre and at the time no one seemed to interested in a scifi manga, at least that's how I saw it, so thats why I say that
 

Unok

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 28, 2007
Messages
703
Reaction score
2,915
Gender
Male
Country
Bulgaria
Hungry Joker was pretty damn bad as well. Tabata is just a terrible writer regardless.
I just love how every time I see your post here, it's bashing Tabata :) It's just funny how annoyed you are by a simple manga existence, and how every time you make yourself expert and better than him. It's just lovely, how you think your opinion and taste is the 100% true one :)

Either way, since I mentioned Tabata, I will share my opinion too: From the current Shonen Jump line, I have to say I enjoy the most Black Clover. It naturally have some flaws (like every series), yet also have it's good sides, but if people focus only on the bad things a manga has, naturally they won't enjoy it. For me the most important thing in a manga is to entertain me, doesn't matter if it's cliche, overused tropes, not a masterpiece, etc, as long as it entertains me, that's all good. After all, a manga is in the entertaining business, it can use as much as unexisting science, fantasy, mecha, etc as it wants, for the purpose of trying to entertain people.
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,108
Reaction score
5,856
Age
33
Country
United States
Not really the way I meant it more of how there almost the exact same genre and at the time no one seemed to interested in a scifi manga, at least that's how I saw it, so thats why I say that
Hungry Joker was a generic battle manga.
The Promised Neverland is a mystery.
Wut.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
I just love how every time I see your post here, it's bashing Tabata :) It's just funny how annoyed you are by a simple manga existence, and how every time you make yourself expert and better than him. It's just lovely, how you think your opinion and taste is the 100% true one :)

Either way, since I mentioned Tabata, I will share my opinion too: From the current Shonen Jump line, I have to say I enjoy the most Black Clover. It naturally have some flaws (like every series), yet also have it's good sides, but if people focus only on the bad things a manga has, naturally they won't enjoy it. For me the most important thing in a manga is to entertain me, doesn't matter if it's cliche, overused tropes, not a masterpiece, etc, as long as it entertains me, that's all good. After all, a manga is in the entertaining business, it can use as much as unexisting science, fantasy, mecha, etc as it wants, for the purpose of trying to entertain people.
I post about a lot more than Tabata. Selective reading perhaps?
Anyways, pointing out obvious glaring flaws is hardly me being annoyed.
Also, sorry for wanting to be entertained by more than flashy drawings.
Black Clover being derivative is only one of its many issues.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top