Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2017] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

iceemperor

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 19, 2014
Messages
1,735
Reaction score
2,734
Gender
Male
Country
Casterly Rock
Poor Spring Weapon. Surely it can't last long with sales like those.
It is called "Phoenix" inside Shueisha so we may see it last another 2 volumes. Their advertising on this latest volume is absolutely blatant. If you get a copy, you can say you had it on your radar from the beginning; you can say, "I always knew it'd be a huge selling star". I don't know if the votes its getting are really that high or considerable to keep it in the magazine but Amalgam was axed with less chapters and still has (slightly) higher sales.
 

RafaFedKilla

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 3, 2013
Messages
1,727
Reaction score
464
Gender
Male
Country
United States
SW1 volumes will be collectors items.
 

shoyoboyo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2016
Messages
1,463
Reaction score
1,527
Country
United States
Has there ever been a mangaka who changed wrote a new series under a different name? Like as a way to hide their identity from the general public.
 

N0R7H

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jan 30, 2011
Messages
112
Reaction score
44
Gender
Male
Country
The Wall
Has there ever been a mangaka who changed wrote a new series under a different name? Like as a way to hide their identity from the general public.
Osamu Akimoto started Kochikame as Tatsuhiko Yamadome, then changed to his real name two years later, after the 100th chapter.
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,297
Reaction score
7,333
Age
33
Country
Scotland
He's the artist rather than the writer but there's Saeki Shun.
 

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
^that applies to most former ****** mangakas really
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,297
Reaction score
7,333
Age
33
Country
Scotland
Are there any notable H-mangaka who kept the same handle when they went for normal stuff?
 

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
All I can think of is Kohta Hirano (Hellsing)

but I'm sure it happens a lot
 

jagman1x3

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Sep 19, 2012
Messages
2,616
Reaction score
2,843
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I've seen a few authors of new series who turned out to be coming from ****** under the same name when I looked them up, but I think the only reason they'd really change their name is if they're doing something for younger kids.
 

Koi Kage

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 7, 2013
Messages
1,210
Reaction score
311
Gender
Male
Country
United States
So I just read the latest chapter of Hungry Marie and that chapter gave of the vibe of using anything possible to not get axed right away; I'm still giving it until it gets ranked to try and change my mind because it's getting harder to justify a reason to read it week to week.
 

Reigen

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Feb 18, 2017
Messages
186
Reaction score
290
Age
29
Country
Morocco
Oda: "I still remember that Yoshihiro Togashi-sensei gave me a monthly manga award 24 years ago. And Toagshi-sensei kindly remembers it as well.
more here
 

G_I_A

Banned
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2008
Messages
1,089
Reaction score
401
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
So I just read the latest chapter of Hungry Marie and that chapter gave of the vibe of using anything possible to not get axed right away; I'm still giving it until it gets ranked to try and change my mind because it's getting harder to justify a reason to read it week to week.
Why you think (based on pure nothing I might add) that a series that will receive a color page (before it's even ranked) would get axed right away? Please explain your logic not using your own biased opinion.
 

Koi Kage

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 7, 2013
Messages
1,210
Reaction score
311
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Why you think (based on pure nothing I might add) that a series that will receive a color page (before it's even ranked) would get axed right away? Please explain your logic not using your own biased opinion.
I see the reason Hungry Marie would receive a color page before it's first ranking is that it's readership is low that it's a ploy by the editorial department as an attempt to boost the low readership. My opinion isn't biased, I enjoyed Beelzebub when it was being published, so if anything I'm of a neutral stand point when I say that I don't currently like Hungry Marie, which is why I'm giving it until it gets ranked to change my mind.
 
Last edited:

SkerllyFC

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2016
Messages
261
Reaction score
106
Age
31
Country
Dominican Republic
I see the reason Hungry Marie would receive a color page before it's first ranking is that it's readership is low that it's a ploy by the editorial department as an attempt to boost the low readership. My opinion isn't biased, I enjoyed Beelzebub when it was being published, so if anything I'm of a neutral stand point when I say that I don't like Hungry Marie.
Since chapter 1 nothing of it sticks with me. It´s a collection of tried and failed jokes with little action despite having the "action" tag, and that action is just for comedy, but it isn't funny either. And the romance is as bland as bland harem romance.

There´s no character progression, and little little little little plot progression so far. I want it to be cancelled. In that amount of time, We Never Learn has been developing its characters little by little. Sure it's not that big of progression, but as some mangas tend to throw a lot of informaiton about its main characters in 2 chapters and then not doing any more development, I like WNL's method.In 3 chapters, DR Stone lets you know Senkuu, the smart MC. I foun him likable.

6 chapters so far(I still have to read this one), we don't see more progression of the main characters besides the information we know about them in chapter 1. And Marie hasn't gotten any more development apart from chapter 3. The characters by now are as interesting as a brick. The only interesting plot point is the taoist group, but that has almost zero development.

And to think that it was a little overhyped because veterans. The more I can see is that Jump is pushing it to be a big success, because they need a big success inmediately, yet neither Neverland nor Yaiba are pushed, being the ones that are delivering the most out of the new ones.

I'll gonna read up to chapter 8 or 9 for a review that I'll upload on reddit. Yes, now I do reviews on reddit. Especially from Jump mangas that are starting.
 

TyVip

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 30, 2015
Messages
2,721
Reaction score
2,814
Gender
Male
Country
Mariejoa
Why you think (based on pure nothing I might add) that a series that will receive a color page (before it's even ranked) would get axed right away? Please explain your logic not using your own biased opinion.
Too much One Piece money and I don't know what to do with it so.... :derp

Having a color page before it's even ranked doesn't mean that it is safe. In 2015/2016, Gakkyu Hotel, Mononofu, Yuragi and Kimetsu received a color page in chapter 7 and you know the story with the first two. There are more from the previous year but these series are more recent.

In fact, it is more likely for a series to survive if it receive a colour page after the first/second ranking (Nisekoi (9th chapter), Assassination Classroom (10th chapter), Shokugeki (9th chapter), My Hero Academia (10th chapter), The Promised Neverland (10th chapter) , Black Clover has one on its 11th chapter
 

G_I_A

Banned
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2008
Messages
1,089
Reaction score
401
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I see the reason Hungry Marie would receive a color page before it's first ranking is that it's readership is low that it's a ploy by the editorial department as an attempt to boost the low readership. My opinion isn't biased, I enjoyed Beelzebub when it was being published, so if anything I'm of a neutral stand point when I say that I don't currently like Hungry Marie, which is why I'm giving it until it gets ranked to change my mind.
Again, you're saying things based on PURE NOTHING. Like somebody said before, Yuragisou no Yuuna-san also received a color page before its first chapter ranked. And well, it's by no means done.

Just because you don't like a series does not mean that it's bad or even that it's gonna be canceled.

It's ok to "think" it will be canceled but not to give a sentence with a "100% sure statement".

Just stop this.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Too much One Piece money and I don't know what to do with it so.... :derp

Having a color page before it's even ranked doesn't mean that it is safe. In 2015/2016, Gakkyu Hotel, Mononofu, Yuragi and Kimetsu received a color page in chapter 7 and you know the story with the first two. There are more from the previous year but these series are more recent.

In fact, it is more likely for a series to survive if it receive a colour page after the first/second ranking (Nisekoi (9th chapter), Assassination Classroom (10th chapter), Shokugeki (9th chapter), My Hero Academia (10th chapter), The Promised Neverland (10th chapter) )
I completely agree with you. The difference between your comment and the other 2 is that you're based on facts, not on your opinion.
 
Last edited:

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
Just because you don't like a series does not mean that it's bad or even that it's gonna be canceled.

It's ok to "think" it will be canceled but not to give a sentence with a "100% sure statement".

Just stop this.
The irony
 

G_I_A

Banned
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2008
Messages
1,089
Reaction score
401
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
The irony
Irony? Why? When did I say there a series should be canceled just because I don't like it?

Give me proof =)

To remind you:

Hinomaru Zumou - I said it should be canceled because it does not sell. It's a fact, not an opinion.
U19 - It is plain bad. Toc confirmed. Fact, not an opinion.

Am I forgeting something?
 
Last edited:

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
When's the ToC coming?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top