Mag Talk - Weekly Shonen Jump [2017] - Discussion and TOC Talk | Page 493 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2017] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tamil

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
Spoilers of Shimabu's one shot. Rough translations but credits goes to Sandman. Very interesting info about Oda & their relationship.

Got my raw Jump. Here are some info revealed in a special manga about Oda drawn by Toriko's author. Redon kindly posted the pics above. I hope Viz Jump will include the translated version of this manga.

- Shimabukuro (Toriko's author) considers he is level 5 mangaka and Oda is level 99 or more.

- Oda talked with Shimabukuro very politely when they first met. This was because Oda was worried that he would speak in his Kumamoto-dialect accidentally if he talked casually.

- Before his debut as a mangaka, Oda shouted in a party that he felt like playing Final Fantasy when his manga was rejected by edtors' meeting

- When Shimabukuro's manga chapter 1 ranked 1st in Jump, Oda sent him a message to celebrate via FAX. Shimabukuro still owns the message from Oda now.

- Both Oda and Shimabukuro regret that they should have used a pen-name instead of their real name.

- Shimabukuro says he receives manga energy from Oda every time they meet.

- Shimabukuro once asked Oda for his autograph and message to encourage Shimabukuro's little sister who was hospitalized in 2003.
Oda gladly drew it for him. Shimabukuro says he can't forget his sister's voice in joy when she received it.

- Oda doesn't have a chief assistant since he thinks having a chief assistant between Oda and normal assistants would complicate their relationships.

- Oda says he feels more clear headed with less than 2 hours' sleep...

- Shimabukuro says Oda has been full of confidence and has not lost any energy toward manga since they met for the first time.

- Shimabukuro's message to Oda in the last page:

"Oda-san, congratulations for the 20th anniversary of ONE PIECE!!
Be sure to keep running with Straw Hats the legendary sea route which no one has ever stepped into before!!
(Take care of your health!!) ___Shimaboo (nickname) as your friend/brother-in-arms/fan"

Oda's drawing around 1996/97

ruggia

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
South Korea
Spoilers of Shimabu's one shot. Rough translations but credits goes to Sandman. Very interesting info about Oda & their relationship.

Got my raw Jump. Here are some info revealed in a special manga about Oda drawn by Toriko's author. Redon kindly posted the pics above. I hope Viz Jump will include the translated version of this manga.

- Shimabukuro (Toriko's author) considers he is level 5 mangaka and Oda is level 99 or more.

- Oda talked with Shimabukuro very politely when they first met. This was because Oda was worried that he would speak in his Kumamoto-dialect accidentally if he talked casually.

- Before his debut as a mangaka, Oda shouted in a party that he felt like playing Final Fantasy when his manga was rejected by edtors' meeting

- When Shimabukuro's manga chapter 1 ranked 1st in Jump, Oda sent him a message to celebrate via FAX. Shimabukuro still owns the message from Oda now.

- Both Oda and Shimabukuro regret that they should have used a pen-name instead of their real name.

- Shimabukuro says he receives manga energy from Oda every time they meet.

- Shimabukuro once asked Oda for his autograph and message to encourage Shimabukuro's little sister who was hospitalized in 2003.
Oda gladly drew it for him. Shimabukuro says he can't forget his sister's voice in joy when she received it.

- Oda doesn't have a chief assistant since he thinks having a chief assistant between Oda and normal assistants would complicate their relationships.

- Oda says he feels more clear headed with less than 2 hours' sleep...

- Shimabukuro says Oda has been full of confidence and has not lost any energy toward manga since they met for the first time.

- Shimabukuro's message to Oda in the last page:

"Oda-san, congratulations for the 20th anniversary of ONE PIECE!!
Be sure to keep running with Straw Hats the legendary sea route which no one has ever stepped into before!!
(Take care of your health!!) ___Shimaboo (nickname) as your friend/brother-in-arms/fan"

Oda's drawing around 1996/97

So I decided to check if both Takeshi and One Piece ranking 1st on their first chapter was actually reflected on the ToC at the time.

I pulled up the issues from 1997 through Media Arts and recorded their placement excluding the series with cover or color pages:

Issue No.| 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 |37-8| 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 |
_Takeshi_| cv | #2 | #6 | #3 | #4 | #4 | #4 | #3 | #2 | #1 | #2 | cv | #4 | #4 |
One_Piece| XX | cv | #4 | #4 | #5 | #8 | #3 | cl | #4 | #3 | #1 | #2 | cv | #1 |

Interestingly, both series got their first No.1 placement at chapter 10.

N0R7H

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
You don't honestly believe Asta has completely tamed his inner demon, do you?
I wouldn't expect Tabata to develop it like Naruto tamed Kurama. Actually, it's more possible to not develop it anything more than the contrary.

ElJin

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
He could use the demon's power and was conscious. He used the power again in the volcano without any consequences. So yes, that's controlling the demon's power and the demon itself for me.
Sorry, but you probably have read a different chapter than me...

Asta activated the power of demon, but he didn't controlled it. With this power he can just fly right straight and can't stop, just this. It's not like he can freely fight using the power.

So I don't think Asta is already controlling the demon's power.

G_I_A

Banned
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Please guys... It's clearly Kyubasta...

shoyoboyo

Reaction score
Country
United States
The recent Kimetsu chapter was really funny, loved the cute facial expressions. Hype for the new arc, they seem to only improve each time.

ShenGao

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Sorry, but you probably have read a different chapter than me...

Asta activated the power of demon, but he didn't controlled it. With this power he can just fly right straight and can't stop, just this. It's not like he can freely fight using the power.

So I don't think Asta is already controlling the demon's power.
Asta was conscious while using that power, that's already 100 times more control than Naruto or Ichigo had when they used their Kyubi/Hollow powers for the first time. Asta didn't try to kill everyone while using that power and even spared Ladros, another 100 times more control than these two.

razerxs

Reaction score
Country
Galactic Republic
Asta was conscious while using that power, that's already 100 times more control than Naruto or Ichigo had when they used their Kyubi/Hollow powers for the first time. Asta didn't try to kill everyone while using that power and even spared Ladros, another 100 times more control than these two.
You're expecting way too much from this demon thing. It's not some god of destruction, at least on the power scale of this series. The boy gets swatted down like a gnat.

ShenGao

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Germany
You're expecting way too much from this demon thing. It's not some god of destruction, at least on the power scale of this series. The boy gets swatted down like a gnat.
The demon was about to wipe out all of humanity, that's what it literally says one the first page of the first chapter of the manga.

razerxs

Reaction score
Country
Galactic Republic
The demon was about to wipe out all of humanity, that's what it literally says one the first page of the first chapter of the manga.
Ah. I never assumed that the demons would be the same thing but I guess that's the main trope that comes to mind.

Still don't quite see the resemblance either; it missing a bunch of appendages and there's a physical corpse thing. With the villains shtick being the three eyes I assumed there was a whole race of these things.

kewl0210

Translator
Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm translating the Shimabu-Oda one-shot. Should get done pretty soon. I definitely recommend it becuase it's sort of a chronology of both Oda and Shimabukuro's history with Jump as told by Shimabuu.

Leoat12

伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
I didn't know Oda and Shimabukuro are friends at that level, interesting... Gonna read when it comes out.

ElJin

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
That's wrong man hahaha. At least to me, "controlling the power" means you can fight the way you want, be free to activate it anytime and use the power freely, managing it. You're completely right when you say that Asta don't lost the conscience and that's more than Naruto in his first contacts with Kyuubi, but if Asta can't fight using this power freely, I wouldn't call it "controlling".

And the demon that almost destroyed the humanity in 1st chapter isn't the same of Asta's grimoire dude haahaha.

ShenGao

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Germany
That's wrong man hahaha. At least to me, "controlling the power" means you can fight the way you want, be free to activate it anytime and use the power freely, managing it.
You mean activating and using it like this?

You're completely right when you say that Asta don't lost the conscience and that's more than Naruto in his first contacts with Kyuubi, but if Asta can't fight using this power freely, I wouldn't call it "controlling".

You mean fighting like this?

And the demon that almost destroyed the humanity in 1st chapter isn't the same of Asta's grimoire dude haahaha.
You got any proof for that? Both of them are called a demon in the 1st chapter.

Avok

Reaction score
Country
We complain that Black Clover is generic and then get mad because it does things different that other series.

???

ElJin

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
You mean activating and using it like this?

You mean fighting like this?

You got any proof for that? Both of them are called a demon in the 1st chapter.
If you just continue reading that same chapter that you used to give me the example, you would understand exactly my point:

I'll use just Asta's words:

"Whoa! Whoa! I can't stop!!"
"At least I'm heading to the peak, but what is it aiming at...?"
"Bwaaaahhh!! I'm going straight into the lava!!"
"I couldn't control it, but I can use that power...!!" - Asta himself said that, what more do we want?

That's my point, man. I agree with you that he can activate the power with no injuries or something like that, but he can't fight the way he want to. Against Ladros, he was being controlled by the Queen of Witches and almost killed all his friends, remember? He can active the power, but can't use it appropriately, this is my point of view.

About the Demon, they're just completely different (even in visual). The 1st chapter's one is the goal of Byakuya no Magan, they're trying to ressurrect it.

Tamil

Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
The recent Kimetsu chapter was really funny, loved the cute facial expressions. Hype for the new arc, they seem to only improve each time.
I'm hyped too but I don't want this to be a trend.

Face an incredible powerful foe > Loses/Realize the power gap > Train > Start New Arc

Doughboy

Reaction score
Country
United States
People arguing on BC, I'm just over here ecstatic that the teacher in WNL isn't going to be a gorilla. Suddenly best girl after the recent issue but I doubt Jump will let this go the KissxSis route.

Scruffy8642

Reaction score
Country
Australia
SO viz did that Shimabu One Shot and it was incredible. Had a smile on my face the entire time. It's awesome he did something like that for Oda and that theyre still so close.

Status
Not open for further replies.