Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2017] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
I think the covers design is decided by the editors. I know several mangakas who make great CPs, but when it comes to the covers... meh. Furudate, for example.
14 and 13 were the only "bad" MHA covers imo.

I thought 12 was good. And I never really got the hate 15 got. It wasn't anything amazing, or exciting. but it certainly wasn't bad.
 

Koi Kage

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 7, 2013
Messages
1,210
Reaction score
311
Gender
Male
Country
United States
It's a hope rather than an expectation, everyone knows good oneshots can end up being awful when serialised but we can at least hope it won't be. It'd certainly be nice to see another big adventure series.
Unless he completely redoes the plot from the one shot which can happen just as easily. Look at Hungry Joker people seemed pleased with the one shot in japan so it got serialized then Tabata changed the plot, either by choice or through editor suggestion is up in the air, but the point still stands a lot can happen from it being a one shot to the serialized series. So going into it with little to no expectations isn't really a bad thing to consider.

On a separate note say he does change the plot ever so slightly what could be the worst plot that could happen really?
 

De La Croissant

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2014
Messages
804
Reaction score
668
Gender
Hidden
Country
The Wall
The MC seems to have changed from a young guy to a kid, my fear is that instead of a Luffy he becomes an Asta XD
 

ShenGao

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Feb 13, 2015
Messages
4,503
Reaction score
6,604
Country
Germany
On a separate note say he does change the plot ever so slightly what could be the worst plot that could happen really?
The main character wants to become the king of golem creators without having the ability to create golems although he is the son/grandson of some legendary golem creator, he has a rival who is better than him in everything, the story takes place in the best golem creators school of the country, the love interest is a very skilled golem creator and tsundere who wants to expel the main character, and in the end there will be 3 or 4 love interests for the main character.
 

xAsum0x

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2014
Messages
1,763
Reaction score
1,582
Gender
Male
Country
United States
The main character wants to become the king of golem creators without having the ability to create golems although he is the son/grandson of some legendary golem creator, he has a rival who is better than him in everything, the story takes place in the best golem creators school of the country, the love interest is a very skilled golem creator and tsundere who wants to expel the main character, and in the end there will be 3 or 4 love interests for the main character.
:cookiehand
 

Koi Kage

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 7, 2013
Messages
1,210
Reaction score
311
Gender
Male
Country
United States
The main character wants to become the king of golem creators without having the ability to create golems although he is the son/grandson of some legendary golem creator, he has a rival who is better than him in everything, the story takes place in the best golem creators school of the country, the love interest is a very skilled golem creator and tsundere who wants to expel the main character, and in the end there will be 3 or 4 love interests for the main character.
Part of that already happened funnily enough in the original one shot: he was technically the son of a great golem creator, and he stated he wanted to be a great golem creator also.
 

De La Croissant

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2014
Messages
804
Reaction score
668
Gender
Hidden
Country
The Wall
Part of that already happened funnily enough in the original one shot he was technically the son of a great golem creator, and he stated he wanted to be a great golem creator.
The original one shot?
 

shoyoboyo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2016
Messages
1,463
Reaction score
1,527
Country
United States
The difference is though that he wants to be the 2nd best in the one shot. Also yeah, his new design makes him look younger (14-15) where as the one shot he looked 17
 

Koi Kage

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 7, 2013
Messages
1,210
Reaction score
311
Gender
Male
Country
United States
The difference is though that he wants to be the 2nd best in the one shot. Also yeah, his new design makes him look younger (14-15) where as the one shot he looked 17
He still want's to be the best in the end, so not much use in trying to complain about it if he states he want's to be the best #2 or not. I know this is kind of like asking for a mob attack but his new design gives me Fairy Tail/Rave Master vibes I'm not saying it will be like them it just comes off as similar in tone to me.
 

razerxs

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Apr 13, 2017
Messages
396
Reaction score
740
Country
Galactic Republic
The original one shot?
There are at least two oneshots. The one mangastream did: he saves the island girl. And a second one set a lot earlier with his father still alive. Not translated.
 

De La Croissant

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2014
Messages
804
Reaction score
668
Gender
Hidden
Country
The Wall
There are at least two oneshots. The one mangastream did: he saves the island girl. And a second one set a lot earlier with his father still alive. Not translated.
Oh, I didn't know that. So it's a story he's been planning for a long time.
 

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Oh, I didn't know that. So it's a story he's been planning for a long time.
Yeah, that's the reason I'm excited for the series. It appears the author wants to do THIS series specifically, like it's his life's work. I admire that.
 

TyVip

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 30, 2015
Messages
2,720
Reaction score
2,814
Gender
Male
Country
Mariejoa
Yuragi worst one
You don't like big boobs drunkard oni big sister? HOW DARE YOU!! :pwned. jk jk

Did you know he will run out of girls soon? I'll say 3 more volumes until he used up all the characters (the manager, the delinquent girl and the teacher for volume 10 and 11 possibly) and will have to start putting the side characters (the fox, Matora, the other chuma ninja, the council president(?!))
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
Well the trailer for the Black Clover dub I sour, and Asta's voice is pretty decent, at least by the trailer. But hey, we haven't seen the actual episode yet.
 

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Shudan! #1

*insert crying Tom Hiddleston gif here*

I'm gonna laugh so hard when Golem Hearts flops.
mangaka losing their source of income is sad so I won't laugh at it, but I'm going to laugh at the people "REEEEEEEEEEEE"-ing about it

TPN/KnY/YnY potentially becoming pillars is really exciting tbh.
you think an ecchi manga can outsell 1 of the 3 current pillars OP, Hq, MHA?

I don't understand these huge expectations for Golem Hearts.
me 2 tbh, all I see is people getting super hyped for no obvious reason

It had a good one shot and people want more battle shonen
we had plenty of examples of cool oneshots turning into shit series, Hungry Marie and Tiger bros is the most recent example,

*put sunglasses on* I guess We Never Learn yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

Yeah, that's the reason I'm excited for the series. It appears the author wants to do THIS series specifically, like it's his life's work. I admire that.
how is it his life work's when he did a different oneshot in 2013? first GH oneshot came in August 2016 and the second in January 2017, that's just 6 months

a quick reminder of what happened the last time WSJ serialized a series with 2 oneshots

 

KageTrigger

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jun 6, 2014
Messages
287
Reaction score
235
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Iron Knight had two oneshots as well if I remember correctly.
 

Doughboy

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 1, 2016
Messages
4,482
Reaction score
8,341
Country
United States
You don't like big boobs drunkard oni big sister? HOW DARE YOU!! :pwned. jk jk
Naw, I do. It's just I looked at her tits before anything else. That's not a good sign of a good cover. But this character is the worst girl from the harem, very sloppy too. Karura and Oboro covers are examples of everything I want: hot girls being simple.

Did you know he will run out of girls soon? I'll say 3 more volumes until he used up all the characters (the manager, the delinquent girl and the teacher for volume 10 and 11 possibly) and will have to start putting the side characters (the fox, Matora, the other chuma ninja, the council president(?!))
I can't remember her name but the fighter black girl--Karura's accomplice--should be thrown in there, she was dope

The main character wants to become the king of golem creators without having the ability to create golems although he is the son/grandson of some legendary golem creator, he has a rival who is better than him in everything, the story takes place in the best golem creators school of the country, the love interest is a very skilled golem creator and tsundere who wants to expel the main character, and in the end there will be 3 or 4 love interests for the main character.
All this sounds super corny but if it gets time a school arc would't be too bad. Just no harem but for some reason nowadays every girl falls for the mc so rip that hope. I just need a set cast traveling island to island like how Ash, Misty, and Brock were in the early Pokemon days going to each Gym Leader. You have the mascot already ala Pikachu. What I think will be the biggest obstacle for Golem Hearts is how will the author build his cast if he's always gonna be on the move? Keep in touch or bring them with them?
 

xAsum0x

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2014
Messages
1,763
Reaction score
1,582
Gender
Male
Country
United States
*insert crying Tom Hiddleston gif here*



mangaka losing their source of income is sad so I won't laugh at it, but I'm going to laugh at the people "REEEEEEEEEEEE"-ing about it



you think an ecchi manga can outsell 1 of the 3 current pillars OP, Hq, MHA?



me 2 tbh, all I see is people getting super hyped for no obvious reason



we had plenty of examples of cool oneshots turning into shit series, Hungry Marie and Tiger bros is the most recent example,

*put sunglasses on* I guess We Never Learn yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!



how is it his life work's when he did a different oneshot in 2013? first GH oneshot came in August 2016 and the second in January 2017, that's just 6 months

a quick reminder of what happened the last time WSJ serialized a series with 2 oneshots

Nobody is saying it's the next big thing and if they are saying it they know it has a chance of being trash and getting canceled just like the other series you pointed out. Nothing wrong with hoping for the opposite lol, especially as a fan of battle shonen like myself, I just want more adventurous stuff to read on Fridays along with One Piece. Not rocket science.
 

jagman1x3

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Sep 19, 2012
Messages
2,616
Reaction score
2,843
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Iron Knight had two oneshots as well if I remember correctly.
Technically there was only one, but then he started adding a bunch of stuff from his Goblin Night oneshot and that was basically when it went to shit.
Also his three oneshots were Iron Curtain, Goblin Night, and Iron Knight. Makes you think.
 

Drmke

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 22, 2009
Messages
4,224
Reaction score
1,235
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Palestine
World Trigger had two oneshots, right? I mean technically part 1 & 2 but still two total. Though I think it was called Trigger Keeper and was back in 2009 pre-Rilienthal.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top