Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2017] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrcho13

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
7
Reaction score
31
Country
Croatia
Thanks for the major effort post! Bummed to not see Yuuna on here and I'm assuming it must be close to the cut-off, but was pleasantly surprised to see Komi-san make the list.
67 Yuragisou no Yuuna-san 679,228
It does feel weird to see no Golden Kamuy absent. To be fair, Golden Kamuy was 26th last year and it got a huge boost from winning that award, maybe the momentum slowed down in backlog sales for it. Yuuna is probably just under Prison school, which doesn't seem impossible. Terra Formars was actually a top 10 seller two times I think and a top 15 seller in the last few years, so it's not surprising it's still going strong even after a long hiatus.
54 Golden Kamuy 828,351
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Great work here.

How did you sort out the backlog sales for each series? Your list implies that Neverland completely sold out its last print of 2.1 million. Even though its still selling and in stock.
I tracked it on shosekiranking. Neverlands backlog has been there from the start so the sales are gone keep growing.
 

Caiops

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 7, 2015
Messages
803
Reaction score
519
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Neverland selling more than Ao no Exorcist, this is big(if true)
 

Aipom626

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2017
Messages
2,267
Reaction score
1,829
Country
United States
A bit lower than what I was expecting, but still decent (right?). Hopefully the anime will give it a boost for next year. I know it's still quite a ways off, but I'd like to see Yuuna begin closing the gap between it and To Love Ru more

Edit: Thanks again for calculating Yuuna's position as well since it wasn't in the Top 50. You've really gone above and beyond for everyone here
 

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
TPN/Kimetsu are going to big if their animes are done right. I'm really excited tbh for their animes. :hip
 

cody

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 5, 2017
Messages
1,929
Reaction score
877
Country
Joker
I sorted things out by publisher, I hope you don't mind.

Shueisha
1 ONE PIECE 11,309,158
3 Kingdom 6,085,803
4 My Hero Academia 5,894,656
5 Tokyo Ghoul:re 5,255,506
6 Haikyuu!! 4,954,440
8 One Punch-Man 3,116,968
9 Shokugeki no Souma 2,710,150
12 Promised Neverland 2,093,790
14 Black Clover 1,892,501
15 Ao no Exorcist 1,809,121
19 Dragon Ball Super 1,439,895
22 HUNTER x HUNTER 1,365,417
24 Gintama 1,339,124
30 BORUTO 1,206,518
31 Kimetsu no Yaiba 1,198,357
33 Kimi ni Todoke 1,167,796
36 JoJo Part 8: JoJolion 1,118,165
37 Kaguya-sama wa Kokurasetai 1,091,710
38 Shuumatsu no Harem 1,058,884
42 Owari no Seraph 1,010,031
43 Saiki Kusuo no PSI Nan 992,909
47 Terra Formars 935,581
48 World Trigger 929,495
49 Omoi, Omoware, Furi, Furare 914,311



Kodansha
2 Shingeki no Kyojin 6,513,646
7 Nanatsu no Taizai 3,414,643
16 FAIRY TAIL 1,808,863
17 Diamond no Ace Act II 1,673,333
23 Cardcaptor Sakura: Clear Card-hen 1,364,991
25 Tensei shitara Slime Datta Ken 1,304,520
26 P to JK 1,228,431
29 DAYS 1,216,742
39 Tokyo Tarareba-jou 1,040,145
41 Nigeru wa Haji daga Yaku ni Tatsu 1,010,590
45 Ajin 959,992
46 Chihayafuru 937,307
50 Prison School 881,484



Shogakukan
10 Magi 2,627,110
11 Detective Conan 2,321,126
20 Major 2nd 1,425,722
28 Karakai Jouzu no Takagi-san 1,221,743
34 Komi-san wa, Community-shou desu 1,135,494



Others
13 3-gatsu no Lion 1,920,489 (Hakusensha)
18 Wotaku ni Koi wa Muzukashii 1,460,842 (Ichijinsha)
21 Black Butler 1,403,592 (Square Enix)
27 Dungeon Meshi 1,225,788 (Enterbrain)
32 Kakegurui 1,181,393 (Square Enix)
35 Yowamushi Pedal 1,121,123 (Akita Shoten)
40 Mahoutsukai no Yome 1,016,131 (Mag Garden)
44 Youjo Senki 970,146 (Kadokawa)
 

TyVip

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 30, 2015
Messages
2,720
Reaction score
2,814
Gender
Male
Country
Mariejoa
:super Next year it will be Hoishin Engi year.

Get 100,000 people interest in the anime

100,000 * 23 = 2.3 million

easy top 15 :verily, then Viz will make do a reprint, then i will be happy.

then gimme a game on the switch :celebrate

and then and then Eyeshield21 remake. Let me dream.
 

De La Croissant

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2014
Messages
804
Reaction score
668
Gender
Hidden
Country
The Wall
TPN is a lucky dog.
 

mrcho13

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
7
Reaction score
31
Country
Croatia
A bit lower than what I was expecting, but still decent (right?). Hopefully the anime will give it a boost for next year. I know it's still quite a ways off, but I'd like to see Yuuna begin closing the gap between it and To Love Ru more

Edit: Thanks again for calculating Yuuna's position as well since it wasn't in the Top 50. You've really gone above and beyond for everyone here
Well, my list goes to much lower positions so it wasn't much of a problem.
 

cody

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 5, 2017
Messages
1,929
Reaction score
877
Country
Joker
Neverland selling more than Ao no Exorcist, this is big(if true)
It is crazy.

A bit lower than what I was expecting, but still decent (right?). Hopefully the anime will give it a boost for next year. I know it's still quite a ways off, but I'd like to see Yuuna begin closing the gap between it and To Love Ru more
Great numbers for such a new series and for the kind of series it is and it's already getting an anime, things are looking good for Yuuna overall.


TPN/Kimetsu are going to big if their animes are done right. I'm really excited tbh for their animes. :hip
I feel the same, I'm also excited for their inevitable upcoming anime.
I'm really worried they'll fuck up the adaptations, I wish luck wasn't such an important factor when it comes to the fate of anime adaptations.

I feel like they'll do Neverland justice because they must know it requires a lot of attention and it simply can't be quickly thrown together by whoever, so I'm not that worried about how the anime will go for it. I have faith they won't leave it in the hands of some hacks.

I am becoming increasingly worried for Kimetsu no Yaiba though, I fear it might get the 50 episode Twin Star Exorcist/Black Clover treatment from Pierrot which is basically a death sentence and kills off any chances of the adaptation being any good. Maybe it's safe from this treatment though since Kimetsu is pretty brutal and violent especially with how demons get disposed of, so they can't really air such a series on a daytime block on TV unless they censor the shit out of it. Even if it doesn't get this treatment, it's in danger of getting adapted from Pierrot anyway and Toei are a lurking danger that hopefully stay far far away from KnY since they are quite frankly even worse than Pierrot. If Pierrot do end up getting it and the anime only has like 2 cours, then it has chances of not being a complete tragedy. If Kimetsu ends up having a 4 cour continuous adaptation or something longer the anime will be doomed. Best case scenario is if a good/decent studio pick it up, respect the art style and give it a 1 or 2 cour adaptation depending in how much of a hurry Shueisha are, #pray for BONES, WIT, Production I.G and even Sunrise are a good candidate since they will be freeing up of Gintama and maybe they want to continue their trend of adapting WSJ stuff, just in general pray for anyone else besides Toei and Pierrot (and A1, but they haven't touched anything from WSJ yet, thankfully).

So many things can go wrong, damn it :(



:super Next year it will be Hoishin Engi year.

Get 100,000 people interest in the anime

100,000 * 23 = 2.3 million

easy top 15 :verily

then gimme a game on the switch :celebrate

and then and then Eyeshield21 remake. Let me dream.
It depends how good the anime will be, hopefully it gets a decent adaptation like Ushio to Tora and not a messy 1 cour abomination. It might also take off regardless since it's a fujo powerhouse series or something like that? Eyeshield can get a remake, but maybe 10 years from now :P .
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
TPN is a lucky dog.
Luck is a factor, but it's not the only key to its success.
 

Caiops

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 7, 2015
Messages
803
Reaction score
519
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Can someone give the link to the shoseki rankings again? i lost it.
 

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
I feel like they'll do Neverland justice because they must know it requires a lot of attention and it simply can't be quickly thrown together by whoever, so I'm not that worried about how the anime will go for it. I have faith they won't leave it in the hands of some hacks.

I am becoming increasingly worried for Kimetsu no Yaiba though, I fear it might get the 50 episode Twin Star Exorcist/Black Clover treatment from Pierrot which is basically a death sentence and kills off any chances of the adaptation being any good. Maybe it's safe from this treatment though since Kimetsu is pretty brutal and violent especially with how demons get disposed of, so they can't really air such a series on a daytime block on TV unless they censor the shit out of it. Even if it doesn't get this treatment, it's in danger of getting adapted from Pierrot anyway and Toei are a lurking danger that hopefully stay far far away from KnY since they are quite frankly even worse than Pierrot. If Pierrot do end up getting it and the anime only has like 2 cours, then it has chances of not being a complete tragedy. If Kimetsu ends up having a 4 cour continuous adaptation or something longer the anime will be doomed. Best case scenario is if a good/decent studio pick it up, respect the art style and give it a 1 or 2 cour adaptation depending in how much of a hurry Shueisha are, #pray for BONES, WIT, Production I.G and even Sunrise are a good candidate since they will be freeing up of Gintama and maybe they want to continue their trend of adapting WSJ stuff, just in general pray for anyone else besides Toei and Pierrot (and A1, but they haven't touched anything from WSJ yet, thankfully).

So many things can go wrong, damn it :(
We had this discussion and even though I'm excited, I am nervous about Pierrot/Toei getting it and messing it up. You know my take on the matter, it needs a talented/passionate staff + 2 cour start. Although I won't be too upset if it was 1 cour but with a good staff.
 

cody

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 5, 2017
Messages
1,929
Reaction score
877
Country
Joker
We had this discussion and even though I'm excited, I am nervous about Pierrot/Toei getting it and messing it up. You know my take on the matter, it needs a talented/passionate staff + 2 cour start.
Yeah, we need to prepare ourselves for the worst case scenario in advance, so the suffering won't be that bad if the worst happens, which hopefully doesn't happen(have mercy random luck factor).
The length will come down to how quickly they decide to greenlit the anime adaptation and the TV network and slot it will be on, two cours would be great. I feel like Kimetsu no Yaiba would fit well on the Animeism block and they typically don't shy away from 2 cour anime and they did have the second season of Food Wars and the third season for Haikyu on there, plus Kimetsu won't get censored there. I can't really think of any other bigger time blocks that will be a good fit, there are other late night ones, but I don't know what else would be optimal. The slot Bnha is in won't allow Kimetsu because it is too violent and neither will the slot Black Clover is on. Maybe the slot where Gintama is currently airing and where Houshin Engi will be could be other picks.
 

Aipom626

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2017
Messages
2,267
Reaction score
1,829
Country
United States
TPN is a lucky dog.
I've never read the series since the genre isn't really my thing, but I still find myself hoping for this one to be a success solely because how different it is from the majority of what's out there right now.
Well, my list goes to much lower positions so it wasn't much of a problem.
That's good to hear that it didn't cause much of a problem. Out of curiosity, how far down did you end up taking your list?
Great numbers for such a new series and for the kind of series it is and it's already getting an anime, things are looking good for Yuuna overall.
Thank goodness, that's refreshing to hear. Hopefully the adaptation will be good so the sales can improve
 

De La Croissant

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2014
Messages
804
Reaction score
668
Gender
Hidden
Country
The Wall
Luck is a factor, but it's not the only key to its success.
I think Ame Talk had a big part on that boost. And since the series is more "dark", when the anime starts, the sales can reach the Haikyuu level!!.

I've never read the series since the genre isn't really my thing, but I still find myself hoping for this one to be a success solely because how different it is from the majority of what's out there right now.
Well, being different does not necessarily mean being good, but if by being different and making success it can influence the market to look for new series with atypical concepts, then it will be a good thing.
 

cody

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 5, 2017
Messages
1,929
Reaction score
877
Country
Joker
I think Ame Talk had a big part on that boost. And since the series is more "dark", when the anime starts, the sales can reach the Haikyuu level!!.
Ame Talk definitely helped a lot, word of mouth also helped and probably so did the shoutouts from Oda and Osamu Akimoto. A lot of things went well for the manga. A good anime can definitely take it to a whole new level though. It seriously has potential to be one of the next shounen series to blow up.
 

Koi Kage

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 7, 2013
Messages
1,210
Reaction score
311
Gender
Male
Country
United States
It is crazy.


Great numbers for such a new series and for the kind of series it is and it's already getting an anime, things are looking good for Yuuna overall.



I feel the same, I'm also excited for their inevitable upcoming anime.
I'm really worried they'll fuck up the adaptations, I wish luck wasn't such an important factor when it comes to the fate of anime adaptations.

I feel like they'll do Neverland justice because they must know it requires a lot of attention and it simply can't be quickly thrown together by whoever, so I'm not that worried about how the anime will go for it. I have faith they won't leave it in the hands of some hacks.

I am becoming increasingly worried for Kimetsu no Yaiba though, I fear it might get the 50 episode Twin Star Exorcist/Black Clover treatment from Pierrot which is basically a death sentence and kills off any chances of the adaptation being any good. Maybe it's safe from this treatment though since Kimetsu is pretty brutal and violent especially with how demons get disposed of, so they can't really air such a series on a daytime block on TV unless they censor the shit out of it. Even if it doesn't get this treatment, it's in danger of getting adapted from Pierrot anyway and Toei are a lurking danger that hopefully stay far far away from KnY since they are quite frankly even worse than Pierrot. If Pierrot do end up getting it and the anime only has like 2 cours, then it has chances of not being a complete tragedy. If Kimetsu ends up having a 4 cour continuous adaptation or something longer the anime will be doomed. Best case scenario is if a good/decent studio pick it up, respect the art style and give it a 1 or 2 cour adaptation depending in how much of a hurry Shueisha are, #pray for BONES, WIT, Production I.G and even Sunrise are a good candidate since they will be freeing up of Gintama and maybe they want to continue their trend of adapting WSJ stuff, just in general pray for anyone else besides Toei and Pierrot (and A1, but they haven't touched anything from WSJ yet, thankfully).

So many things can go wrong, damn it :(




It depends how good the anime will be, hopefully it gets a decent adaptation like Ushio to Tora and not a messy 1 cour abomination. It might also take off regardless since it's a fujo powerhouse series or something like that? Eyeshield can get a remake, but maybe 10 years from now :P .
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Luck is a factor, but it's not the only key to its success.
I think your missing a few big aspect on whether a TPN anime is done "good " it doesn't completely matter on the studio, though personally that only matter .001% if the anime is good or not to me, is how well the story is able to translate over well to a movement based medium. To continue on this train of thought would anime only watchers find the series interesting and actually bother watching, I read the first few chapters of the manga and found it kind of a boring read so would others find the anime that way if they don't read the manga. There's also the possibility it may only receive its anime after it finishes publication, it's a low chance but it's there none the less, as it be a way to milk the series twice once during it's initial run the next during the anime release or like I've been saying that they could do a series of movies.
As for Kimetsu the only thing I'll say about it is that the studio most likely to pick it up and I can be hated for saying this but is most likely Toei the few chapters I've read the series screams Toei so take that in stride heck I knew even before the Black Clover anime was announced it was most likely going to get Perriot and in my opinion, which is an unpopular one depending of who you ask, there not doing that bad a job of adapting the series. You'll most likely watch the anime if they make it anyway so there isn't much point in complaining on who gets the rights to animate it.
 

Aipom626

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2017
Messages
2,267
Reaction score
1,829
Country
United States
Well, being different does not necessarily mean being good, but if by being different and making success it can influence the market to look for new series with atypical concepts, then it will be a good thing.
Oh I definitely agree. From the stuff I've read about it online, it seems like it does a pretty good job keeping things suspenseful and interesting for the most part. I do hope this encourages people to to check out some more atypical series. Either way, its sales volume is insanely impressive for being so new and having no anime adaptation.
 

mrcho13

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
7
Reaction score
31
Country
Croatia

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
I just read Yuragi chapter 89.5, stay away from that chapter unless you want to get scarred for life.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top