Mag Talk - Weekly Shonen Jump [2017] - Discussion and TOC Talk | Page 783 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2017] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

TyVip

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Mariejoa
2) satisfaction of having the complete set
This isn’t true at all. People stop buying the manga in Japan if it turns bad.

I can name at least 10 manga of the top of my head that went through and are going through this period.

Shokugeki is god damn horrible right now and some fans/people i know refuse to admit that.

Tanzo

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Last edited:

Luca11

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Wake Island
Ouch, that food wars sales drop. It went from 3.47 million to 2.8 million. It had like 6 volumes and an anime yet it still dropped heavy.

Do the die hard fans think we're still going to get an international saga after this? Lmao.
To be fair that's a 600,000 drop with 5 volumes. No where as dramatic as Haikyuu, which dropped by 1.4 million. Even One Piece dropped by 800,000. but its overall number is so high that the drop seems minuscule anyway.

The anime just started 2 months ago, so the boost (if any) might not come into effect yet. Food Wars sale dropped even worse in 2016 (by 900,000) when it had an anime running, so I would view this as an improvement of some sort.

cody

Reaction score
Country
Joker
Great to see Boku no Hero in the top 4 and great to see Kingdom continue to kick ass. I wish we'd get a larger list though and hopefully we do, but it seems like we won't be getting a list until April, sigh...

No Top 11-30 (series) and Top 51-100 (volumes) for 2017.
What? Were the sales that much worse this year or something? That's disappointing. Edit, so the sales might be in that book...
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
member when MHA anime was a failure
Boy, I hope people shut up now.

Last edited:

Newkerzy

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
Robot x Laserbeam : 3 volumes : 460 000 (with digital sales inclued).
Wait, now they're including digital sales? Good grief, what took them so long? Now if I can find out MHA's total including digital, I'll be happy.

Franz

伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Italy
Boku no Hero is doing much better this year.
Obvious.

The second season was a success. And Jump is already starting to advertise it a lot.

cody

Reaction score
Country
Joker
Obvious.

The second season was a success. And Jump is already starting to advertise it a lot.
They did really well to get a slot on that big time block on TV after the Nichigo slot died.

Franz

Reaction score
Country
Italy
After the half year mark, Black Clover sales are playing hide and go seek with us :3c.

I know BC is in the top 30, just joking around
BC is still little publicized, anime is at the beginning.

I would not be surprised if in the next standings he and The Promised Neverland will be in the Top 10.

cody

Reaction score
Country
Joker
BC is still little publicized, anime is at the beginning.

I would not be surprised if in the next standings he and The Promised Neverland will be in the Top 10.
Now that's a stretch in my opinion. Maybe Neverland will eventually reach the top 10, but I feel like it will happen when the anime comes out and if the anime ends up being a massive success.

Franz

Reaction score
Country
Italy
Well, let's see.... probably even Kimetsu no Yaiba will reach the Top.

cody

Reaction score
Country
Joker
Well, let's see.... probably even Kimetsu no Yaiba will reach the Top.
The top 10? Maybe, depending on the anime and how the handle it and it also depends how much more Kimetsu will just grow naturally. If they give Kimetsu the 50 episode Twin Star Exorcist/Black Clover Pierrot treatment on the same block where they aired, I won't have any high hopes and I'm becoming increasingly scared that this will end up being Kimetsu's fate unfortunately.

Franz

Reaction score
Country
Italy
The top 10? Maybe, depending on the anime and how the handle it and it also depends how much more Kimetsu will just grow naturally. If they give Kimetsu the 50 episode Twin Star Exorcist/Black Clover Pierrot treatment on the same block where they aired, I won't have any high hopes and I'm becoming increasingly scared that this will end up being Kimetsu's fate unfortunately.
Overall, the first 9 volumes of Kimetsu sold 9 million, more or less like the first of BC. In TOC it's still pretty good and it should be the sixth most popular manga in the magazine.

There are all the possibilities for achieving success.

Suffice it to say that nobody cared about Black Clover, now many people are starting to talk about it, for better or for worse.

cody

Reaction score
Country
Joker
I'm not saying Kimetsu doesn't have possibilities for achieving success, it is already successful. If Kimetsu eventually reaches the point where it becomes a top 10 seller in a year, I'll be overjoyed. Again, it will come down to the natural growth and how the anime is handled.

Last edited:

DyanSon

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
I don't know KnY is a million seller

Franz

Reaction score
Country
Italy
With the ninth volume, Kimetsu had reached the 2 million copies overall.

SharkBait

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
Holy, that season 2 boost.
Looks like a simple air time change at normal hours saved heroaca. S3 will only have new volumes to carry it as I doubt it can grow further at s3 (see haikyuu)

BLue Exorcist needs an s3, most surprising appearance with two volumes in the top 50. I though itd fall off.

BLack clover, owari no serafu, and my yaoi mangas cheated by the cutoff. I was dying to see their sales.

Last edited:

cody

Reaction score
Country
Joker
"Saved", it was a top 10 seller last year as well and now it's a top 5 seller, Bnha doesn't need saving.

SharkBait

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
I think saved is a valid word choice, considering other series that were top10 last year but fell this year even with additional anime content (7taizai even had an tv anime this year and still lost ~2mln)

The time change was a smart last minute saving grace for heroaca.

Ninjaz

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Joker
looks like Tokyo Ghoul:RE sold much more than the last year, live action helped a bit, i think.
I don't think the live action had much of effect here. Most likely, if it was going to have an effect it would be for the first volumes of the series. And the first 14 volumes of Tokyo Ghoul aren't counted within those sales.

Some interesting info came from the EiC Nakano about the situation of less battle manga being made for Jump if my translation is right.
https://rookie.shonenjump.com/2017_3rd_anniversary/2
Might be interesting for many here.
And yeah, the whole "interview" was super insightful. They also talked a bit about Jump+, and how it features many types of manga that wouldn't fit for an actual magazine. They also discuss multiple different Jump series, like Owari no Seraph even.
I'd encourage anyone that knows Japanese to read it.

cody

Reaction score
Country
Joker
Great, so we'll most likely only going to get the full sales in April in 2018? That's pretty lame, everything was going so well, they released the sales for the first half of the year just fine...

Status
Not open for further replies.