Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2017] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nakura

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 25, 2016
Messages
1,564
Reaction score
2,181
Age
30
Country
Ireland
I don't mind the break this week since Jump Festa is this weekend. There should be plenty of cool things to see.
 

Doughboy

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 1, 2016
Messages
4,482
Reaction score
8,341
Country
United States
Speaking of growth, it was pointed out that BC's anime is helping the sales. But when does the series get, like hype? Just curious, 11 episodes in and I feel like nothing crazy important happened. Magna gets focus but that's about it. And where's Yuno? Does he really not appear that often?
 

ShenGao

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Feb 13, 2015
Messages
4,503
Reaction score
6,604
Country
Germany
Speaking of growth, it was pointed out that BC's anime is helping the sales. But when does the series get, like hype? Just curious, 11 episodes in and I feel like nothing crazy important happened. Magna gets focus but that's about it. And where's Yuno? Does he really not appear that often?
People would say during the dungeon arc, but at this pace that arc won't be finished until episode 24.
 

Doughboy

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 1, 2016
Messages
4,482
Reaction score
8,341
Country
United States
People would say during the dungeon arc, but at this pace that arc won't be finished until episode 24.
What arc takes place that Asta and Yuno fight that dude from the ova? We talked about this but the filler that expands canon is cool, but recent episode ended randomly as hell and all I can think about is "Bah-uh!" dude lurking around. Lol
 

xAsum0x

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2014
Messages
1,763
Reaction score
1,582
Gender
Male
Country
United States
You saw the first ranking?
nah but its just a feeling looking at these latest chapters, theres barely any setup for anything (power system, worldbuilding, the current arc, etc). Same shit happened in most canceled works
 

Nakura

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 25, 2016
Messages
1,564
Reaction score
2,181
Age
30
Country
Ireland
But when does the series get, like hype?
For me, never. During the action chapters, I don't really feel anything. However, anything that you'd potentially find hype will be ruined by the anime's adaptation. Black Clover isn't good, but the fast pace of the manga helps to make it bearable. If you want to get into Black Clover, then I can't really recommend the anime in the first place.
 

ShenGao

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Feb 13, 2015
Messages
4,503
Reaction score
6,604
Country
Germany
What arc takes place that Asta and Yuno fight that dude from the ova? We talked about this but the filler that expands canon is cool, but recent episode ended randomly and hell as all I can think about is "Bah-uh!" dude lurking around. Lol
Asta and Yuno fight diamond guy in that dungeon arc.
 

cody

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 5, 2017
Messages
1,929
Reaction score
877
Country
Joker
I don't mind the break this week since Jump Festa is this weekend. There should be plenty of cool things to see.
I really hope we get some good news.
 

xAsum0x

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2014
Messages
1,763
Reaction score
1,582
Gender
Male
Country
United States
MHA should be great. Season 3 trailer hopefully, official movie promo art with maybe more details and the game trailer.
 

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
remember before Golem Hearts started when I was the pessimistic one about its future? good times

nah but its just a feeling looking at these latest chapters, theres barely any setup for anything (power system, worldbuilding, the current arc, etc). Same shit happened in most canceled works
that doesn't mean it's getting axed, it means it's a generic action manga that doesn't bother with doing anything special

in my eyes FD and GH are not going to axed this upcoming round, they already announced 2 new series and hxh return

CA, Shoodan and what I can only hope is SW#1 are the ones biting the dust this round
 

cody

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 5, 2017
Messages
1,929
Reaction score
877
Country
Joker
remember before Golem Hearts started when I was the pessimistic one about its future? good times



that doesn't mean it's getting axed, it means it's a generic action manga that doesn't bother with doing anything special

in my eyes FD and GH are not going to axed this upcoming round, they already announced 2 new series and hxh return

CA, Shoodan and what I can only hope is SW#1 are the ones biting the dust this round
I also don't see Fulldrive and Golem Hearts surviving for much longer. If they get lucky and WSJ start some even less promising manga in the next batch, then maybe one of them will last for a little longer. And no, these two aren't getting axes since they were among the series to get spinoff stories.
 

ShenGao

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Feb 13, 2015
Messages
4,503
Reaction score
6,604
Country
Germany
SW#1 is a cockroach. It will survive all ongoing manga and always sell below 10k.
 

TyVip

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 30, 2015
Messages
2,720
Reaction score
2,814
Gender
Male
Country
Mariejoa
what I can only hope is SW#1 are the ones biting the dust this round
:teehee how many rounds were this now?

Jk, even I can't save SW1 forever :pwned.
 

cody

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 5, 2017
Messages
1,929
Reaction score
877
Country
Joker
:teehee how many rounds were this now?

Jk, even I can't save SW1 forever :pwned.
The manga already has a place in my heart as the true anomaly of Jump.
 

Doughboy

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 1, 2016
Messages
4,482
Reaction score
8,341
Country
United States
For me, never. During the action chapters, I don't really feel anything. However, anything that you'd potentially find hype will be ruined by the anime's adaptation. Black Clover isn't good, but the fast pace of the manga helps to make it bearable. If you want to get into Black Clover, then I can't really recommend the anime in the first place.
That's why I wanted to go anime > manga, like what I did for MHA. Going into the series with ignorance I always enjoy it more cause it's no possible way for me to know if it's slow or whatever cause I don't read the manga. SP is at least adapting faithfully. A good example, UQ Holder's anime started the same season and is almost over... shit got destroyed by fucked up pacing. They skip whole arcs and even a prominent character which ruined the experience.

The two chapter pace will forever be the perfect pace for any anime. Being an anime-only, I don't mind the anime being "slow" or filler here and there but 11 episodes in nothing game-changing has happened yet. I'll keep up with it though.
 

cody

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 5, 2017
Messages
1,929
Reaction score
877
Country
Joker
That's why I wanted to go anime > manga, like what I did for MHA. Going into the series with ignorance I always enjoy it more cause it's no possible way for me to know if it's slow or whatever cause I don't read the manga. SP is at least adapting faithfully. A good example, UQ Holder's anime started the same season and is almost over... shit got destroyed by fucked up pacing. They skip whole arcs and even a prominent character which ruined the experience.

The two chapter pace will forever be the perfect pace for any anime. Being an anime-only, I don't mind the anime being "slow" or filler here and there but in 11 episodes nothing game-changing has happened yet. I'll keep up with it though.
From what I heard the the anime is on episode 11 and it hasn't even finished adapting chapter 10 yet, ouch, that's already one cour of the anime done, 1/4th of the anime was used to adapt 11 chapters of the manga, yikes.
 

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
want a cookie?
yes, please :cookiefinger

I'm not gloating and I'm not telling you "I told you so", I'm just welcoming into the sad people club

also, putting hopes and expectations on something before its even starts is just as illogical as fears before its first ranking

you're still jumping the gun, just wait a week
 

Aipom626

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2017
Messages
2,267
Reaction score
1,829
Country
United States
SW#1 is a cockroach. It will survive all ongoing manga and always sell below 10k.
Spring Weapon still has some life in it. It has that bribe money the author gives the EiC popularity poll results which it still hasn't released. I think Golem Hearts will survive at least one cancellation round, but I can see Full Drive getting the immediate ax. If it does something in the next issue like ranking below Cross Account and Shudan, I'd say its days are numbered.
 

shoyoboyo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2016
Messages
1,463
Reaction score
1,527
Country
United States
R x L is also pretty awful lately.
And Robot x Laser beam has been bad. Fujimaki out power leveled himself early on, and there's no way for the series to recover. Fujimaki doesn't know how to develop constraints and it becomes more of a problem in an uncontested individual sport like golf.
Glad I'm not the only one who thinks that RxL has been dragging lately. Even though I was somewhat optimistic about it, the fact is that the hype died with the time skip. This tournament has been boring. I can't see the sales growing much in the near future.

Speaking of growth, it was pointed out that BC's anime is helping the sales. But when does the series get, like hype? Just curious, 11 episodes in and I feel like nothing crazy important happened. Magna gets focus but that's about it. And where's Yuno? Does he really not appear that often?
The anime pacing is pretty bad. They've barely finished adapting the first volume at this point.

About the quality, it's pretty much what Nakurawari said. If you like cool drawings then you'll probably think Black Clover is hype since that's pretty much all it is. Cool looking fights with little substance underneath and largely uninteresting use of magic powers. There's a final fight in a tournament that was supposed to be hype but it ended up just being a Dragon Ball style kamehameha duel but with magic instead of laser beams.

If you're like me, you'll probably enjoy it more for the characters and the interactions than the fights.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top