Movies The Movie Thread! - Continuation - Part 1

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Joined
Nov 5, 2007
Messages
4,334
Reaction score
22,337
Gender
Male
Country
Sweden
- Three Billboards outside Ebbing, Missouri -

Best film I've seen this year. Expectations were sky-high and I'm glad to say it definitely lived up to them. Martin McDonagh's first film In Bruges is one of my favorite films ever, and while I likely won't rewatch Three Billboards as often as I have that one, that's mostly because this one is "heavier". Despite all the laugh-out-loud moments derived from a fantastic script and non-stop great delivery from one of the best ensembles in years, the overall tone and theme of anger, revenge and (most of all) grief works on another level. Just as with In Bruges, McDonagh juggles dark comedy with tragedy flawlessly, but this film is far deeper and more impactful as a whole.

Frances McDormand does her best work since Fargo. Sam Rockwell is as fantastic as ever (if not more so), as is Woody Harrelson in his rather small, subtle but important role. Heck, almost all of the supporting cast is crazy good, as one would expect with names like Caleb Landry Jones, John Hawkes, Peter Dinklage, Lucas Hedges, etc.

This is so much more than a "revenge film". It's often bleak and depressing, sure. It's angry and violent and full of swearing, yes. It also manages to draw comedy from all the previous points. But most of all, it's a film about humans being humans, feeling things, reacting to other humans doing the same. And yes, that applies to pretty much all films ever, but few films would ever make me warrant a description like that. Idk, I hope my point comes across. The script, although one or two plot points might feel like they fit a little "too well", is pretty near-flawless, and the cast is superb enough to make the tiny flaws it has seem insignificant.

Spontaneously, it's a 10/10 from me. (We'll see if it stays there or sinks to a 9/10 when it's settled in my mind, as the tenner is usually reserved for what I consider flawless films.)
 
Last edited:

Faust

Artist
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Sep 4, 2010
Messages
5,121
Reaction score
20,245
Gender
Male
Country
Winterfell
Film

Best Motion Picture
Drama: Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
Comedy/Musical: Lady Bird

Acting
Actor - Drama: Gary Oldman – Darkest Hour as Winston Churchill
Actress - Drama: Frances McDormand – Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri as Mildred Hayes
Actor - Comedy/Musical: James Franco – The Disaster Artist as Tommy Wiseau
Actress - Comedy/Musical: Saoirse Ronan – Lady Bird as Christine "Lady Bird" McPherson
Supporting Actor: Sam Rockwell – Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri as Officer Jason Dixon
Supporting Actress: Allison Janney – I, Tonya as LaVona Golden

Best Director: Guillermo del Toro – The Shape of Water
Best Screenplay: Martin McDonagh – Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
Best Original Score: Alexandre Desplat – The Shape of Water
Best Original Song: "This Is Me" (Benj Pasek and Justin Paul) – The Greatest Showman
Best Animated Feature Film: Coco
Best Foreign Language Film: In the Fade

TV

Series
Drama: The Handmaid's Tale
Comedy/Musical: The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
Mini Series/TV Film: Big Little Lies

Acting
Actor - Drama: Sterling K. Brown – This Is Us as Randall Pearson
Actress - Drama: Elisabeth Moss – The Handmaid's Tale as June Osborne/Offred
Actor - Comedy/Musical: Aziz Ansari – Master of None as Dev Shah
Actress - Comedy/Musical: Rachel Brosnahan – The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel as Miriam "Midge" Maisel
Actor - Mini Series/TV Film: Ewan McGregor – Fargo as Emmit and Raymond "Ray" Stussy
Actress - Mini Series/TV Film: Nicole Kidman – Big Little Lies as Celeste Wright
Supporting Actor: Alexander Skarsgård – Big Little Lies
Supporting Actress: Laura Dern – Big Little Lies as Renata Klein

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri won 4 awards including Best Picture!

It's nice to see a Dark Comedy film being recognized!
 
Last edited:

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Joined
Nov 5, 2007
Messages
4,334
Reaction score
22,337
Gender
Male
Country
Sweden
^Absolutely very well deserved. Still think it’s the best film of the year, and both McDormand and Rockwell were incredible.

I happened to watch Lady Bird last night and it too was a nice film.I’d heard it was a “Juno wannabe flick” but whoever said that clearly missed the point. They’re very different films indeed. Great coming-of-age film about youth, fitting in and most of all, family. 7,5/10 from me. Saorsie Ronan definitely deserves her win, but I personally would have wanted to see Get Out win over this one.

And overjoyed that Franco won for The Disaster Artist. Haven’t seen it yet, but just the fact Tommy Wiseau got to stand on the stage as a Golden Globe winner (albeit as a character xD).

Still have yet to see a lot of the films nominated here, but this only got me even more hyped for The Shape of Water, which hopefully I’m watching this evening or the coming weekend.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Also haven’t seen Darkest Hour yet, but I just want Gary Oldman to win the Oscar already so bring on all the wins for him. :XD
 
Last edited:

Faust

Artist
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Sep 4, 2010
Messages
5,121
Reaction score
20,245
Gender
Male
Country
Winterfell
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

"Cause if Aquaman can get a movie, anyone can." :lmao

I'm sold by this teaser trailer! Gotta start watching Teen Titas Go! as well.
 

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Joined
Nov 5, 2007
Messages
4,334
Reaction score
22,337
Gender
Male
Country
Sweden
I’ve watched some more films lately, like The Shape of Water which I’ll say is tied for favorite film of the year.

One film I want to mention, since a lot of people might skip it because they’re not normally interested in the subject matter is I, Tonya.

As a non-American and not interested in figure skating, I knew nothing about Tonya Harding (except that she was a figure skater). However, this film is cleverly told and soooooo well-acted that I was engulfed anyway. Allison Janney deserves a ‘Best Supporting’ Oscar for her performance as the cold, foul-mouthed mother. And I wouldn’t deny Margot Robbie the statue, either (although she’ll likely have very tough competition). If anything, go into it just for these two performances, but I doubt that’s all you’ll get out of it. It’s an interesting story on its own, so with a good script and fantastic acting it climbs into my top 10 of last year.
 

Brandish μ

Taking notes
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Global Moderator
Joined
Oct 24, 2015
Messages
10,244
Reaction score
33,630
Gender
Male
Country
Kingdom of Fiore
Haven't seen Lady Bird, not sure it's even come out here. Am interested in Saoirse Ronan's performance with all the hype around her. She's had a laser-like presence in her movies. It's always good to see young performers shine. Have to say there's been a few lately, or that I've only just noticed, like Timothee Chamelet, and Caleb Landry Jones. Lucas Hedges as well seems like he's come from nowhere with his roles in Manchester By the Sea and Three Billboards.

On Hedges, he'll be leading in Boy Erased which comes out this year. I'll claim it as an Australian movie since directed by Joel Edgerton, also stars Russel Crowe and Nicole Kidman.
 

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Joined
Nov 5, 2007
Messages
4,334
Reaction score
22,337
Gender
Male
Country
Sweden
Shigeru Miyamoto is co-producing an animated Mario film.

The studio behind it is Illumination, which made Despicable Me, Hop, Sing, The Life of Pets. After their absolutely terrible Lorax film, I’m not putting a lot of faith in them successfully adapting anything ever, but I’lol be glad to be proven wrong.
 

Riku

Dirty Blonde
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Mangahelper
Joined
Nov 24, 2007
Messages
3,735
Reaction score
17,766
Country
Torumekian Empire
Why Illumination. Of the big animation studios, I've always found its films worst. They are never really good, just okay at best.
 

FetherMan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 5, 2012
Messages
2,366
Reaction score
1,127
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Batman: Gotham by Gaslight 9 / 10

Another new year and new animated features from DC and Warner Bros. and this is their first new feature for 2018. I've never read the actual comic book that this film is based on. However, I really liked the overall idea, plot and animation as well as the usual spot on voice direction for these amazing characters. In this particular feature, it takes place in the 1800's circa version of Gotham, where Jack the Ripper is committing specific murders of women and Batman is on the prowl to bring down this criminal.

What I enjoyed most about this film was the story direction put into this and I think this is why, I continue to like these animated features that DC and WB put out. I only wish they'd put this much thought and consideration into their "live action" films, but there's still room for improvement there. :hi


p.s., Did anyone see "Phantom Thread" yet, unfortunately the film wasn't released in my area and I really wanted to see this being it's a new Paul Thomas Anderson film with Daniel Day-Lewis's final actor performance. ughhh!!. :o
 
Last edited:

Wowzers

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jul 1, 2008
Messages
6,509
Reaction score
5,523
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Well, well... how about that! Black Panther hasn't gotten a single bad review yet. 100% Tomatometer score. Still only 59 reviews as it's not out till next week but... all of them are rave reviews. I'm starting to get my hopes up... quick, somebody knock some sense into me!

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/black_panther_2018
 

FetherMan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 5, 2012
Messages
2,366
Reaction score
1,127
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Well, well... how about that! Black Panther hasn't gotten a single bad review yet. 100% Tomatometer score. Still only 59 reviews as it's not out till next week but... all of them are rave reviews. I'm starting to get my hopes up... quick, somebody knock some sense into me!

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/black_panther_2018

I'm excited for the film and hope it turns out to be good, I just don't get why a "score" should determine whether a movie is truly good or not. I've seen some good films that have gotten poor reviews and vice versa.
 

Wowzers

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jul 1, 2008
Messages
6,509
Reaction score
5,523
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
The 'Score' doesn't really matter... what did matter was the complete lack of any negative comments about the movie. That was impressive!
There are now a few, as the score has dropped. It's no longer at 100%. I've read over the negative comments and those 'negative' comments weren't really all that bad, so I'm still excited. :D

I've bought my tickets in advance for Thursday! (Theater was almost sold out).
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Saw Black Panther! Really good!
In fact, there is too much to like... it's easier to list the things you don't like.... of which there was only one culprit:
There is a process by which T'Challa can lose the powers of Black Panther... and get them back again. In fact it's so easy, you'd wonder why there wouldn't be lots of people running around with Black Panther's powers. They really overplayed this process as it was used twice.
 

FetherMan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 5, 2012
Messages
2,366
Reaction score
1,127
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Phantom Thread 9 / 10

This film has to be one of the most intriguing and bizarre love stories ever put on film and Anderson delivered once again with Lewis. The soundtrack for this film was amazing and I was fortunate enough to get to see this in theaters in my area and almost missed the opportunity. Phantom Thread is not better than "There Will Be Blood", but it's up there as far as a quality film goes. The supporting cast did a brilliant job as well.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Black Panther 10 /10

Well, I'm just gonna keep this simple, for me "Black Panther" really stood out on it's own as a solo film based around a character and everything around that character that makes him or her stand out. Much like "Wonder Woman" and even, "Doctor Strange" did, Black Panther goes to Wakanda, where T'Challa's true character was modeled and created, plus you truly understand his conflict and perspectives that were teased back in "Civil War" by the end of this film.

The other characters made the movie even bigger and better from Killmonger to Ross, everyone contributed something to this film that made it enjoyable from beginning to end. Coogler really did an amazing job and contribution to the MCU. I think, Marvel is on their A+ game and they haven't fallen off yet. Now that were at the 50% mark of Phase 3, this is just the first of the last five films and it's already this big. They really are also, making this feel like the comics with the connection between the characters and what's being developed.

After this film, I think, Black Panther will be another big solo character much like Spider-Man has become and we may not need more Iron Man movies to rely on to keep the momentum going. Hope everyone enjoys this film as much as I did. O0
 

Brandish μ

Taking notes
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Global Moderator
Joined
Oct 24, 2015
Messages
10,244
Reaction score
33,630
Gender
Male
Country
Kingdom of Fiore
I couldn't get into Black Panther. 5/10.

I did watch Sweet Country, an Australia movie, and was really happy with this. Personally, I feel our films are lacking among world cinema (which reminds me I forgot to add Chopper to the 10 fave films thing...). So every time I see a solid Aussie movie I get a little more excited for it. At it's core, the movie is about the racism and oppression after colonisation. You won't need to know anything about the history here to see it, the story is universal enough. It's an 'outback western', and I'd say 8 or 9 out of 10. It's up there with Ten Canoes, and Samson and Deliah; for films which focus on race and/or our indigenous people.

Going to see Lady Bird tomorrow, hopefully.
 

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Messages
16,855
Reaction score
23,526
Age
43
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Just saw Black Panther. It was like 7 out of 10 for me.

It was definitely a good movie. And I think there were some standout aspects to it. Michael B Jordan was great as Killmonger and Danai Gurira was almost as great playing the badass bald royal guard. A lot of the supporting cast did a great job(with 3 notable exceptions). The core story was good but nothing amazing, honestly. Still I give it credit for being a relatively fresh feeling story.

The two things that really hurt it for me were the overacting of Angela Bassett as the Queen and Forest Whitaker. They were clearly super into it but I wish they had taken it down a couple of notches.

Then there was the love interest (The one thing Marvel can't seem to get right). Lupita Nyong'o and Chadwick Boseman have just no chemistry at all and I found that very noticeable. Almost enough to top Emily VanCamp and Chris Evans for the least convincing romantic connection in a comic book movie. Almost..
 
Last edited:

FetherMan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 5, 2012
Messages
2,366
Reaction score
1,127
Gender
Male
Country
United States
The movie itself was an Honest Trailer. :derp
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Fullmetal Alchemist - 2017 8 / 10

I'm a big fan of the classic manga series and I really enjoyed this film adaptation. The characters really fit well and Hughes was my favorite and I know, the CGI effects were far from perfect, but compared to the late 80's and 90's I can tolerate it. Surprised to see that Netflix got a hold on this one.


Tokyo Ghoul - 2017 5 / 10

Aside from the CGI effects, the movie was okay, I really wanted a better story adaptation for this one. I did like the fight scenes, really felt like they paid close attention to the manga and anime.
 

Ice devil slayer

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 6, 2016
Messages
1,387
Reaction score
2,534
Age
28
Country
France
Justice League was so bad..ruined my childhood honestly smh good job dceu
 
Top