Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2018] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

TyVip

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 30, 2015
Messages
2,721
Reaction score
2,814
Gender
Male
Country
Mariejoa
I don't like KNY's design and I don't know if the anime viewers will feel the same. I know some of my friends don't touch certain manga/anime due to the design alone. Same thing with Dr Stone too if it gets one later.
 

xAsum0x

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2014
Messages
1,763
Reaction score
1,582
Gender
Male
Country
United States
The arts unique but kinda bad and rough at times, but the anime so far makes it look more mainstream
 

MangAniMY

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 10, 2018
Messages
1,955
Reaction score
4,863
Country
Malaysia
Honestly it seems normal considering the month and the problems due to the flow .....

And anyway compared to Kimetsu, I think it increased ....

I'm sorry (for taking the bait) but what???
numbers are numbers, you don't "think" it (unless you are talking imaginary number or even theoretical mathematics even then they have rules, but sales data uses real number)


First thing first, the table/chart was chosen because they have the same sales day for the 1st week. 3 days then add another 7 days for a total of 10 days( the 2nd number is total sales)

I'm using leading zero so that everything will be perfectly aligned. (If you are on mobile, turn on desktop view)


TitleVol | week 1 (days)| week 2|

week 1=wk1


KNY10 |065861(3)|118511|
KNY12 |064061(3)|118990|

KNY12 wk1 - KNY10 wk1 = -1800
KNY12 wk2 - KNY10 wk2 = 489

BC15 |102907(3)|193788|
BC17 |083957(3)|176362|

BC17 wk1 - BC15 wk1= -18950
BC17 wk2 - BC15 wk2 = -17426


while both series have lower 1st week sales(I reasoned the weather as one of the factors ) compared to their previous volumes, KnY managed to overcome that deficit on the 2nd week and be up VoV (similar sales day)


If we compare the 2 series specifically using the similar weeks

KNY is up VOV while BC is down VOV


Black Clover is still selling better that KnY at the moment, and a single down data doesn't make a trend(iceemperor even mentioned unexpectedly) , BC also have better legs compared to KnY (for this 2 specific comparison )

But you cannot said BC is NOT down VoV therefore a DROP.


writing all of that really make me wish we are more like SalesERA, most are still clueless there too, but at least we have graph and charts to point towards at...



_____

back to normal Discussions,

do we even know what time slot KnY will be on yet? I think how big of a boost it will get will depends on that,

A Jump battle shonen Anime by ufotable will surely raise awareness among western viewers
 

Doughboy

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 1, 2016
Messages
4,482
Reaction score
8,341
Country
United States
KnY’s art is bad to me, every time I look at it I feel a cold sweat across my body. Anime visuals looks good tho. Dr. Stone’s is cool but it’s overly blocky sometimes. I just realized I like artists that have a more bubbly style, like Horikoshi. Makes the characters and surroundings more lifelike.
 

ChocoBar9

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 29, 2008
Messages
2,955
Reaction score
2,573
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I don't like KNY's design and I don't know if the anime viewers will feel the same. I know some of my friends don't touch certain manga/anime due to the design alone. Same thing with Dr Stone too if it gets one later.
The arts unique but kinda bad and rough at times, but the anime so far makes it look more mainstream
KnY’s art is bad to me, every time I look at it I feel a cold sweat across my body. Anime visuals looks good tho. Dr. Stone’s is cool but it’s overly blocky sometimes. I just realized I like artists that have a more bubbly style, like Horikoshi. Makes the characters and surroundings more lifelike.
Its hard to explain yeah the art is very crude but is very charming like it feels like someone puts a lot of personality into everything he/she draws despite not looking the best. Kind of like Mob Psycho 100 where the art is technically lacking but has a lot of things that stand out about how its drawn. It doesn't feel like Gotōge is trying to imitate a style that's just how its drawn. Dr. Stone's character designs look very unappealing especially the girls, they suffer from uncanny valley where its trying to be realistic while retaining its cartoony aesthetics whuch doesn't bold well at all.
 

MangAniMY

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 10, 2018
Messages
1,955
Reaction score
4,863
Country
Malaysia
What did I say @MangAniMY ? Don't take the bait!
I said I'm sorry...

but how can someone think about figures, you would normally think the cause and implications of the data but not about the data itself. :facepalm
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
That kinda reminds me, does anyone keep track of past volume sales?

I kinda have an idea but the backlog is really huge to do it alone,
 

Franz

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Mar 7, 2015
Messages
12,556
Reaction score
11,297
Age
33
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
while both series have lower 1st week sales(I reasoned the weather as one of the factors ) compared to their previous volumes, KnY managed to overcome that deficit on the 2nd week and be up VoV (similar sales day)
Black Clover= 8

KnY= 15

But the second is raised, lol..

f we compare the 2 series specifically using the similar weeks

KNY is up VOV while BC is down VOV
You have to see the results of the whole month, plus as already mentioned there are many other factors around.

Type the fact that the Jump have debuted a few days, or delays in shipments due to the problems of floods ....
KNY12 wk1 - KNY10 wk1 = -1800
KNY12 wk2 - KNY10 wk2 = 489

BC15 |102907(3)|193788|
BC17 |083957(3)|176362|

BC17 wk1 - BC15 wk1= -18950
BC17 wk2 - BC15 wk2 = -17426
Ehm, BC have the big number.....

But you cannot said BC is NOT down VoV therefore a DROP.
In fact, there are no drops, they are the usual numbers ... there are simply other factors involved ...
 

ChocoBar9

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 29, 2008
Messages
2,955
Reaction score
2,573
Gender
Male
Country
United States
That kinda reminds me, does anyone keep track of past volume sales?

I kinda have an idea but the backlog is really huge to do it alone,
The only one I know of is the geocities Jump page but I don't think its been updated in a while.
 

Franz

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Mar 7, 2015
Messages
12,556
Reaction score
11,297
Age
33
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
What did I say @MangAniMY ? Don't take the bait!
Still with this bait thing ?


--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
I'm sorry (for taking the bait) but what???
But it is a fixed nail ....
--- Double Post Merged, ---
However, going from 12 to 8 in my house is called increase, then put it as you want .....

Also Kimetsu is equally advanced, so I would say that they are in a similar situation.
 

Nemesis

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2013
Messages
1,706
Reaction score
1,826
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I think its doubtful, Yuuna/Yuuragi has had no benefit from the anime.
A harem/romcom generally don't get too much except for cases like Nisekoi or To Love Ru. But you're right that Yunna had nothing for it since it's below than what a romcom gets from boost.
 

Mankichi Togawa

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jun 26, 2014
Messages
5,551
Reaction score
15,717
Gender
Male
Country
Spain
I remember Kimetsu flopped hard in France. Maybe after the anime it gets better recognition outside Japan. Without counting Jujutsu, Kimetsu no Yaiba is the Jump manga with less repercusion outside Japan.
 

Doughboy

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 1, 2016
Messages
4,482
Reaction score
8,341
Country
United States
I wonder why Black Clover is so hated in Internet. Asta is a very likeable MC.
regardless it's still popular in its own right so whatever you're seeing is just the vocal minority. only thing noteworthy to me of BC is it has low Crunchyroll ratings, lower than Boruto. The reviewers are super positive on there so it's surprising. the Naruto copy or it being the only shonen to copy another is unfair the more I watched, even though the beginning was way too close to Naruto's beginning. the past arc of MHA made me think of so many Naruto comps to the events/characters that were taking place, MHA being a Naruto x Sky High comparison is accurate. So that wasn't my issue, I just wasn't comfortable or enjoying how things were being portrayed in the cast and parts of the story. My favorite episode being the Golden Dawn filler says all you need to know of my experience. Came to the conclusion it just wasn't for me.
 

ChocoBar9

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 29, 2008
Messages
2,955
Reaction score
2,573
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I remember Kimetsu flopped hard in France. Maybe after the anime it gets better recognition outside Japan. Without counting Jujutsu, Kimetsu no Yaiba is the Jump manga with less repercusion outside Japan.
It didn't do great in America either unfortunately. Its best just wait until the anime is released. I know this is a bit of an extreme case but the Attack On Titan manga was licensed before the anime aired and didn't do well initially then blew up big time after it aired and volume one is still in the top selling manga charts after 5 years. Anything can happen to turn thing around.
 
Last edited:

OtterBrigade

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 2, 2018
Messages
2,112
Reaction score
3,057
Age
33
Country
Canada
But I read on this very forum Viz were dumb for skipping series that look popular like Demon Slayer no way it turns out they had better data and were right it wouldn't sell!
 

101nemesis

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 16, 2012
Messages
3,086
Reaction score
7,183
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
India
it'll become popular in the west and get compared to Bleach at least lol
Bleach comparisons are definitely gonna happen.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
But I read on this very forum Viz were dumb for skipping series that look popular like Demon Slayer no way it turns out they had better data and were right it wouldn't sell!
Yeah, like the data they had on MHA :teehee
 

xAsum0x

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2014
Messages
1,763
Reaction score
1,582
Gender
Male
Country
United States
the past arc of MHA made me think of so many Naruto comps to the events/characters that were taking place, MHA being a Naruto x Sky High comparison is accurate.
?
 

ChocoBar9

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 29, 2008
Messages
2,955
Reaction score
2,573
Gender
Male
Country
United States
But I read on this very forum Viz were dumb for skipping series that look popular like Demon Slayer no way it turns out they had better data and were right it wouldn't sell!
Hindsight is a wonderful thing isn't it?:amuse In anycase it did okay not great but its not another Gintama or Reborn thankfully. I don't think they were expecting Neverland numbers for it since that manga had a lot of hype for it before the first volume release whereas Kimetsu had a short little blur mentioning its release date and not much else just be thankful they even went through with it and you're not suffering like Kingdom fans still hoping that Viz will give it the time of day.
 
Last edited:

Franz

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Mar 7, 2015
Messages
12,556
Reaction score
11,297
Age
33
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
But what are Kimetsu and Bleach like? Have I always seen it as the 2.0 version of Inuyasha.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top