The Last Person to Post Wins - Pixie

Status
Not open for further replies.

z.5

Only Half Psychic
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Global Moderator
Joined
Oct 26, 2008
Messages
3,996
Reaction score
18,572
Gender
Hidden
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Actually ended up making American pancakes instead. Tried to argue that we're watching a very British show so should be a British snack, but in the end when you have a pregnant woman in the house she gets last call because of cravings and whatnot.
Well, drop scones (aka Scotch pancakes) are still a British snack

 

Raven

Registored User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 8, 2016
Messages
3,111
Reaction score
12,876
Age
32
Gender
Female
Country
Joker
I don't know sometimes i laugh at serious situations, My laugh is also very loud and i can't stop laughing easy. Embarrassing as fuck.
 

GrySun

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Dec 22, 2014
Messages
3,360
Reaction score
33,644
Gender
Male
Country
Earth Kindom
So.. the latest ultra-sound revealed I'm going to be a father to a.. daughter. Any advice besides running, @zimbardo ? :gwah
I like how we joked about it months ago :lmao You should be happy about it. Some people want a boy/girl and end up with 3 girls/3 boys. You can see how it's like having both now. I sure would prefer a daughter.
 

Xadyu

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Dec 8, 2008
Messages
5,316
Reaction score
13,240
Gender
Hidden
Country
Cocos Islands
I like how we joked about it months ago :lmao You should be happy about it. Some people want a boy/girl and end up with 3 girls/3 boys. You can see how it's like having both now. I sure would prefer a daughter.
"I don't really mind either way" is what I usually say, but my reactions to "It's a boy/It's a girl" tell us more than enough.

It's not that I'm not happy, but.. I don't know. Subconsciously I want boys as kids, I guess. :lmao
 

Shobu_Yoruichi

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 5, 2010
Messages
731
Reaction score
4,330
Gender
Hidden
Country
Chile
Bitch with a good taste there.

Good sig bruh.

We reached Water Seven with my colleague yesterday, he's pretty interested about Robin's whereabouts and when i ask him what he thinks about the isle, he simply can't enjoy it without knowing what will happen with Robin and the CP9.
I'm mostly sure he won't cry at Merry... actually at Chopper's flashback he was like: "stop crying, you fucked animal, go and die already" :lmao
 

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Joined
Nov 5, 2007
Messages
4,334
Reaction score
22,340
Gender
Male
Country
Sweden
Bitch with a good taste there.

Good sig bruh.

We reached Water Seven with my colleague yesterday, he's pretty interested about Robin's whereabouts and when i ask him what he thinks about the isle, he simply can't enjoy it without knowing what will happen with Robin and the CP9.
I'm mostly sure he won't cry at Merry... actually at Chopper's flashback he was like: "stop crying, you fucked animal, go and die already" :lmao
He’s not worthy of that series.
 

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Joined
Nov 5, 2007
Messages
4,334
Reaction score
22,340
Gender
Male
Country
Sweden
Maaaan, I’m reading Haikyuu!! on a site which has all the chapters neatly arranged and all... but it’s scans of the American volumes, and all heights are measured in feet and inches. Such a pain.
 

Copy Panda

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 1, 2015
Messages
4,534
Reaction score
21,758
Gender
Female
Country
China
Maaaan, I’m reading Haikyuu!! on a site which has all the chapters neatly arranged and all... but it’s scans of the American volumes, and all heights are measured in feet and inches. Such a pain.
Yeah took me a while to get in my head a feet is 1/3m and an inch is 2.5 cm ugh
 

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Joined
Nov 5, 2007
Messages
4,334
Reaction score
22,340
Gender
Male
Country
Sweden
Yeah took me a while to get in my head a feet is 1/3m and an inch is 2.5 cm ugh
Yeah once you get used to it it’s easy to work out (though I’d rather not have to do head math every other page just to fully understand what the characters are sayingk) but mostly it feels so out of place when I know the Japanese use the right metric system for measuring things.
 

Copy Panda

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 1, 2015
Messages
4,534
Reaction score
21,758
Gender
Female
Country
China
yeah stupid system..

now i wonder how long my foot is actually
 

z.5

Only Half Psychic
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Global Moderator
Joined
Oct 26, 2008
Messages
3,996
Reaction score
18,572
Gender
Hidden
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
It's odd - I actually find it easier to picture distances in miles, yards and feet, height in feet and inches, but measure volumes in litres (and millilitres).
For weights, I use stone for people, but grams for cooking/at work...

I guess that it comes more naturally due to how wonderfully fucked up the English system is
:invalid
 

Copy Panda

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 1, 2015
Messages
4,534
Reaction score
21,758
Gender
Female
Country
China
Hm well it's not necessarily the 'picturing' part that's contested, but more the ease of working with that system. The Kelvin scale makes similar sense in terms of wanting to describe something but it's less intuitive and less easy to apply, i m o
 

z.5

Only Half Psychic
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Global Moderator
Joined
Oct 26, 2008
Messages
3,996
Reaction score
18,572
Gender
Hidden
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Dunno how much of 'ease of working' comes from 'time spent using'.

I guess it's easy to suggest that once you are used to working in decimal systems (mm, cm, m, km, etc.) then it's easy to guess (thus helping with the maths - in the cases where conversion is required and one can't/it become infeasible to just continue to measure with the same unit) for other decimal systems (ml, cl, l).

For me, outside of my work (where super precise measurements are required), I rarely ever have to switch between yards and feet - or yards and miles - or stones and ounces...

So I can get away with saying 1.5 miles, or 300 feet away - or 12.7 stone - or 6 foot 11 (though, this is kinda an exception as it uses both feet and inches - it's a simple base 12 conversion [which people do without thinking - as the duodecimal system is king])
 
Last edited:

Copy Panda

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 1, 2015
Messages
4,534
Reaction score
21,758
Gender
Female
Country
China
I mean how much effort it'd take for an outsider to swoop in and adapt to that system lets say; easier for you to use my system than the other way around, perhaps.Picturing should be hard either way, if its for a system you don't use yourself. Like you could think of a kilometer as little over half a mile, or the other way around, a mile is over 1.5 km, but I think that in general, even those distances, a mile and a km, are just abstractions. Not like you'd be able to tell yourself when you'd be finished walking a mile or a km, anyhow.
 

z.5

Only Half Psychic
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Global Moderator
Joined
Oct 26, 2008
Messages
3,996
Reaction score
18,572
Gender
Hidden
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Sure, I find it super hard to picture a km.

And please don't misunderstand - I think my system is stupid, often-times arbitrary, stuck in the past, and overly complicated [at times].

But it's my system, the one I've grown up with, learned to use without thinking, and for that alone I love it.

I only wish that my countrymen had had the balls to keep our counting system (and an old school English billion makes far more sense, is neater, and far more beautiful, than the currently accepted 10^9)
 

Copy Panda

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 1, 2015
Messages
4,534
Reaction score
21,758
Gender
Female
Country
China
That was general 'you' btw, not 'you' specifically haha. But yeah, I think the miles and feet and inches has something quaint to it and in a sense I wouldn't mind using it on the dl, but its just that'd I'd prefer the world at large to work with the metric system, just because it's convenient
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top