So essentially, they can be Krillin and Yamcha to Baam's Goku. The former are not quite what I'd call relevant characters at any point in DBZ, but certainly not in the latter arcs. So like I said, if Baam needs any serious backup going forward then he'd better hope it comes from elsewhere. Maybe SIU can actually put Androssi in a cheerleader outfit.
At the end of the day, this has become a saga almost entirely driven by Baam and his personal growth. Those who can't play ball in that arena, aren't especially important. This is also why Wangnan and Rachel have both all but ceded their 'protagonist' spots, as far as I'm concerned.
Kinda odd-topic here.
My feeling is that many of Bam’s friends will be quite competent to fight with him.
Rak - power of ancient

Koon - rare ice ability, already hax character before shinsoo use
Yiwah - secret flame of the family

Androssi - yet to be revealed ultimate lineage
Okay, the last one is a stretch at the moment, but deep down you know it’s true. Still, it’s no coincidence that Bam’s class on 2F is stacked with talent and many of them will be relevant all the way to the top.
TBH, Bam is only relevant in this fight with Rankers because he has Black March. Otherwise he’d be dead. Granted, no one else would be relevant with BM...
Anyway, my point is that SIU has a plan for them all to go together. ESPECIALLY because that’s what Bam wants more than anything else. Bam will find a way.
So to tie that back into this topic, I think that any of Bam’s regular companions would be a fine match for him. Shoot, for all we know Rachel never taught Bam about love so he has no clue at all. The guy didn’t even have friends until recently and was dead not long before that.
Anyway, I don’t think this journey is going to be Bam’s love story, so don’t expect that aspect to happen anytime soon. I mean... in FairyTail, Naruto, Bleach, among so many others the hero is oblivious until the end.