Regarding people who are saying “S8 is hated and disliked in Japan”, where is this info coming from? Twitter, Japanese Forums and ppl you know from Japan?
I’m not doubting that there are probably Forums, and social media’s where ppl talk about how much is sucks. But that is not a good way to determine how much something will sell at all.
Classic story of Summer 2019. The Lion King remake. The entire internet BLASTED arhat movie. Talked about how lifeless and bland it look. There are countless Youtube videos talking about how trash the film is. Countless tweets of Lion King fans of the original saying the movie look abysmal and is going to fall. Yet despite that, the movie went on to become one of the highest grossing films of all time.
Classic story of late 2018. Spider-Man Into The Spiderverse. A movie that was praised for its revolutionary visuals, story telling, and acting. The movie received more praise across the Internet than any modern Spider-Man movie ever. Went on to win high profile awards n everything. Yet, despite that the endless twitter, forum, and internet love it received, it’s the lowest grossing Spider-Man film of all time. Selling now where near even the terrible Spider-Man films.
I’ve yet to see a single person on twitter or YouTube argue that Lion King Remake is good. But tons of ppl I’ve seen in real life, or ppl I’ve on apps like Facebook, where I personally know them LOVE the film. When I went to see the movie the movie had a standing ovation.
On the Internet I’ve yet to see anyone say nothing but high praise about Spiderverse. But “in real life”, I’ve met tons of ppl who didn’t even know the movie existed until it was on Netflix. Or tons of ppl who refused to see it because it was a cartoon and not live action.
Granted, these are American films. But point is, “internet reception” doesn’t mean a damn thing when it comes to sales and “real life” reception. I’m not in anyway saying that S8 couldn’t flop. Just think it’s a bit silly when ppl think it’ll flop just because it has mixed reception, even in Japan. It’s impossible to predict how sales will go, especially with a popular creator.