Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2019] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kolbe

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Aug 29, 2019
Messages
150
Reaction score
338
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
Yeah, the prices on this stuff is insane. This does bring up something I've noticed, though.

Is it just me, or do a lot of black people really love Naruto? Like, moreso than other anime, with the possible exception of Dragon Ball.
Literally every ethnic group is full of people in love woth these two manga IMO especially Dragon Ball
There was a whole diplomatic incident envolving Mexico and Japan because of Dragon Ball last year. And have you ever seem one of these Muslim DBZ fanarts made by arabs? They're weirdly funny
 

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Literally every ethnic group is full of people in love woth these two manga IMO especially Dragon Ball
There was a whole diplomatic incident envolving Mexico and Japan because of Dragon Ball last year. And have you ever seem one of these Muslim DBZ fanarts made by arabs? They're weirdly funny
Oh, yeah. I do recall the final DBS episodes being played for a crowd of thousands. Yeah, that is definitely a good point.

And man, that whole thing was just wild to me. A crowd of thousands all gathering to watch a 30+ old series.
 

NeeNeen

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 2, 2012
Messages
1,055
Reaction score
1,216
Country
United Nations
break system = less volumes release per year = less money for Shuiesha.
Not really. If they spread the breaks wisely, they can actually fit in more manga to sell (more different manga, not more volumes).

Week 1: series 1-20
Week 2: series 6-25
Week 3: series 1-5, 11-25
Week 4: series 1-10, 16-25
Week 5: series 1-15, 21-25

Every author gets a break every five weeks and they can run five more series with the same number of pages.
 

perroloco

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 8, 2008
Messages
1,056
Reaction score
915
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Mexico
As @101nemesis said anime adaptations aren't really necessary for a manga to sell like crazy, but they certainly help.

I remember back when Blue Exorcist first anime adaptation made it pretty mainstream... and then its popularity started to decline, but that's a monthly series... So who knows?


Has any new JUMP series from the 2010s been a million seller? Heck... has there been a new Jump million seller from 2005 onwads? (I say 2004 because IIRC that's the year that D-Gray Man, Reborn, Gintama and Death Note debuted which all of them became BIG sellers for JUMP, if memory serves correct... They debuted in 3 straight weeks or something like that... I'm pretty sure Gintama and Death Note debuted like a week apart from each other)

BTW is it safe to say that all these 4 manga were million sellers? As in at least the first volume of each of these series got to sell 1 million?

D-Gray man has sold aroun 24million with 26 volume so yeah, million seller.
Reborn sold like 30million with 42 volumes which averages to 714,000 per volume.. BUT obviously a lot of sales come from the first couple of volumes (or a great fight or something) so I'm gonna assume Reborn, too, was a million seller.
Gintama's sales were reported last year at 55 million, and IIRC around the time sales were announced Gintama had 70ish volumes published which averages to 780,000 per volume, Gintama easily was a million seller.
Death Note... I don't even have to check, I rememeber Death Note sold like 2million per volume IIRC.

So... Just fom memory, the series that may have sold 1 million from 2005 onwards are probably... Kuroko No Basket, Assasination Classroom, Haikyuu, Boku no hero academy and ... Maybe Toriko? I can't remember Toriko's sales lol.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

@Buranchi haha Mexican here, can confirm we mexican love old stuff like Dragon Ball, Saint Seiya.. etc..
In fact just a couple of hours ago I was eating and over heard my grandma watching canal 5 (Basically one of Mexico's biggest free channels which still broadcasts to this day Dragon Ball every day IIRC) and they were showing Drake and Josh...

Canal 5 really loves re-runs of Dragon Ball and Drake and Josh lol, worst thing is that whenever re-runs of Dragon Ball are broadcasted it becomes big news in mexican anime sites... Like... C'mon you have probably already watched Dragon Ball a bazillion times lol watch something new.

EDIT: Btw talking about the Drake and Josh thing, now that I think about Drake Bell has been touring Mexico too much, IIRC I saw him like twice last years in some festivals... And now sings regeton in spanish lol, I'm pretty sure Drake Bell is way more popular in Mexico than in US because of the constant re-runs of Drake and Josh for like around 15 years now?

I also remembered they still show Malcom in the middle re-runs in primetime lol, and el Chavo del 8 sometimes.. yeah people who watch canal 5 probably love re-runs or something

@Kolbe I was in my city's showing of Dragon Ball super's Goku vs Jiren fight, it was so funny because the local governemnt supposedly said they had been given permission or some BS (Toei had said in twitter all the showings of the episode were illegal). Then they just put Crunchyroll lol, and then Crunchyroll wasn't working or something probably too many people watching at once or something... And they ended up showing a stream of the episode from Facebook xD
 
Last edited:

Aeneas

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 17, 2019
Messages
1,814
Reaction score
3,995
Country
Italy
I'm pretty sure Gintama and Death Note debuted like a week apart from each other
Yup. Issues #1 (Death Note) and #2 (Gintama) from 2004, so late 2003.

And then the same with Reborn and DGM (Issues #26 and #27).

As for the million sellers, see:
I mean its already reach 1 million per volume what you mean to say is that it won't reach a million per volume in a year when the highest its garnered is over 800k in a year.
 

Kolbe

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Aug 29, 2019
Messages
150
Reaction score
338
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
As @101nemesis
I also remembered they still show Malcom in the middle re-runs in primetime lol, and el Chavo del 8 sometimes..
I think El Chavo is watched everywhere in Latin America still. Here in Brazil it rarely stay some weeks without reruns just to go back to airing. I think Chapolin is in a similar state as well

And talking about Gintama, I really love that manga. It's my favorite one ever and Gintoki is my favorite Jump protagonist (He is kinda similar to me and we ALMOST share birthdays). I was actually surprised when I saw that Gintama wasn't as universally praised as I thought it was, though. Looking at the part of the fandom I have most contact with, it seems kind of hit or miss. What do you guys think about the manga?
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Let's say Jump gave every weekly serialization a week break every month like One Piece gets, and on the break issues they ran monthly series entirely.

Would you guys mind that setup?
I think it would break how the magazine operated for 50 years. How the votes would work? Monthly series would compete against weekly series? The number of pages impacts the enjoyment, generally it seems like in monthly series a lot more things happen, and it is obvious, it is more pages, while weekly series sometimes it feels like nothing happened the entire chapter. This is the Weekly Shonen Jump, monthly series is another department, Jump SQ.
They could do like Sunday, where it seems like half the magazine is in hiatus or on break all the time.

However, what really solves the sometimes excess of work from authors is a backlog of chapters. If you have a backlog of 10 chapters you can take it easy, you don't need to draw one chapter per week, you can accelerate when you are feeling good, desaccelarate when you are not, you have some spare chapters if you get sick, etc. I think they do have a backlog, but I think it is not actually a backlog, you have to be ahead of the current issue because of editorial issues, but not because you are way ahead even of such matters.
 

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Monthly series would compete against weekly series?
No? They'd compete against the other monthlies, I guess.

The number of pages impacts the enjoyment, generally it seems like in monthly series a lot more things happen, and it is obvious, it is more pages, while weekly series sometimes it feels like nothing happened the entire chapter.
This has already been addressed.

This is the Weekly Shonen Jump, monthly series is another department, Jump SQ.
WSJ has ran monthly series before. Remember Boruto?

However, what really solves the sometimes excess of work from authors is a backlog of chapters. If you have a backlog of 10 chapters you can take it easy, you don't need to draw one chapter per week, you can accelerate when you are feeling good, desaccelarate when you are not, you have some spare chapters if you get sick, etc. I think they do have a backlog, but I think it is not actually a backlog, you have to be ahead of the current issue because of editorial issues, but not because you are way ahead even of such matters.
That's a good idea.
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
No? They'd compete against the other monthlies, I guess.


This has already been addressed.



WSJ has ran monthly series before. Remember Boruto?



That's a good idea.
Compete against other monthly series that were present in other issues? This wouldn't work for obvious reason.

I generally ignore the entire discussion unless it is something very interesting because it is too many pages and people repeat themselves a lot. XD

Boruto is different and they already transferred it. It was one case related to a legendary series, they put on Jump just to capitalize on Naruto ending, nothing else. It was an aberration since the beginning.
 

Konja9

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2015
Messages
472
Reaction score
451
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Peru
When WSJ's big digital series is hardly selling much digitally, it should be an obvious sign that we need numbers before we can assume anything for any series.
I didn't know Spy x Family is a big digital series.

Its digital sales are really low compared with print sales.
 

Rain Spectre

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 11, 2019
Messages
3,255
Reaction score
4,663
Age
27
Country
Australia
Compete against other monthly series that were present in other issues? This wouldn't work for obvious reason.

I generally ignore the entire discussion unless it is something very interesting because it is too many pages. XD

Boruto is different and they already transferred it. It was one case related to a legendary series, they put on Jump just to capitalize on Naruto ending, nothing else. It was an aberration since the beginning.
I think Boruto's transfer was more a necessary business move than anything else. Jump can't cancel manga which have anime running, but Boruto's manga had simply too mediocre a reception to continue justifying hosting it in WSJ. Hence, moving it to V-Jump, which gave it more stability and a stronger platform due to the younger readerbase.
 

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Compete against other monthly series that were present in other issues? This wouldn't work for obvious reason.
No, I specifically mentioned NOT transferring other series to WSJ in this scenario. In my hypothetical situation, these would be series started in WSJ for the express purpose of having monthlies during the break weeks.

Granted, it's not a perfect plan, but I do feel mangaka should receive breaks like Oda does. And the way to offset break weeks is to either rotate series off and on, or have the weeklies break where monthlies take their place for that one week out of the month.
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I think Boruto's transfer was more a necessary business move than anything else. Jump can't cancel manga which have anime running, but Boruto's manga had simply too mediocre a reception to continue justifying hosting it in WSJ. Hence, moving it to V-Jump, which gave it more stability and a stronger platform due to the younger readerbase.
Well, that's for sure. I personally doesn't have anything against Boruto, it is fun to read sometimes, but it is certainly not Jump material.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

No, I specifically mentioned NOT transferring other series to WSJ in this scenario. In my hypothetical situation, these would be series started in WSJ for the express purpose of having monthlies during the break weeks.

Granted, it's not a perfect plan, but I do feel mangaka should receive breaks like Oda does. And the way to offset break weeks is to either rotate series off and on, or have the weeklies break where monthlies take their place for that one week out of the month.
I was not talking about other magazines, I was talking about issues, issues of the same magazine.
Series X had a chapter in issue 1 and series Y had a chapter in issue 2, both are monthly, they would compete among them even in different issues? Not gonna work.
 

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,468
Reaction score
39,386
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
What is "Jump material"?
 

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Well, that's for sure. I personally doesn't have anything against Boruto, it is fun to read sometimes, but it is certainly not Jump material.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

I was not talking about other magazines, I was talking about issues, issues of the same magazine.
Series X had a chapter in issue 1 and series Y had a chapter in issue 2, both are monthly, they would compete among them even in different issues? Not gonna work.
Then they'd have to develop a different system, obviously.

It's not impossible, just difficult.
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Then they'd have to develop a different system, obviously.

It's not impossible, just difficult.
A system that wouldn't involve voting, for sure. That's what I said that it would change in a bad way the way the magazine operates for five decades. Anyway, it is not gonna happen anyway, so...
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top