Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2019] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kolbe

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Aug 29, 2019
Messages
150
Reaction score
338
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
*cough* I'm from Japan *cough*
I'm from Japan was interesting in a cultural pov so I wouldn't be surprised if its anime was made because the government wanted to.
Besides, I'm from Japan has one of the smallest budget of a Jump anime ever. Not really comparable to a action series
 

Thores

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jul 18, 2019
Messages
255
Reaction score
865
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
United States
As an aside, if Jump is indeed propping Mitama up to be their new end-magazine gag series (which seems to be the case), I can't help put feel they're being a bit presumptuous about the series, given how thin and one-note the premise is. I could be wrong, though, it's entirely possible they'll just let it run its course out of convenience.
The thing about gag manga is that they, to an extent, are supposed to be pretty one note. Dr. Slump was chapter after chapter of robots and poop jokes, Sgt. Frog was aliens constantly failing to take over the planet, and Mitama Security is continuing to find silly ways for a dude to interact with ghosts. Those first two examples ran in their respective magazines for several years. Hell, Sgt. Frog is still running. I'm not saying that Mitama will run quite that long, but either way it doesn't have to be more than what it is right now.

Just because that one note doesn't resonate with you personally does not mean that their target audience isn't enjoying it, or that it's something that has to "run its course". It's possible that enough people are into MS to keep it in the magazine for a whlie, and it's equally possible that it's not as objectively bad as you think.
 
Last edited:

Neala897

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Sep 12, 2018
Messages
3,971
Reaction score
2,639
Age
36
Country
Russian Federation
Beating OP in series sales and even individual volume sales has been done before, Death Note and Nana both beat it in the mid-00s, but Oricon only started posting numbers for 2008 and later.
Back then was before Strong World + Marineford + Time Skip + Z hype, so OP wasn't at stratospheric levels yet. And if Kimetsu beats it this year, it still won't be a big deal because that boost has leveled out.
Exactly the point. Since Marineford OP is an absolute king of manga. Others came close but never could do volume vs volume win. Neither is going Kimetsu. It may with year sales but not with volume. It would be AMAZING for kimetsu win years but real dethroned will only happen with volume win. And for it to be absolute it needs happen... well, at least three times in row.
 

Kolbe

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Aug 29, 2019
Messages
150
Reaction score
338
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
And why do people think that it's situation will always remain the same and won't change??
Because that's how Jump came to be the best-selling manga magazine in Japan. It never had any problem cancelling failures and won't stop doing that because this failure was made by someone important.
And I'm kinda glad it's this way. I wouldn't want Jump to give more privileges to a manga just because of its author.
 

Rain Spectre

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 11, 2019
Messages
3,255
Reaction score
4,663
Age
27
Country
Australia
Because that's how Jump came to be the best-selling manga magazine in Japan. It never had any problem cancelling failures and won't stop doing that because this failure was made by someone important.
And I'm kinda glad it's this way. I wouldn't want Jump to give more privileges to a manga just because of its author.
I guess it really does stand to reason, no one in business makes it to the top by being nice...
 

Paze

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Sep 1, 2018
Messages
121
Reaction score
116
Age
33
Country
United States
I was thinking Jump could have another magazine, where they can move failures that still sell ok, but I realize the downside is if you axe the series there is a chance the author would come back with an actual hit.
 

Kolbe

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Aug 29, 2019
Messages
150
Reaction score
338
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
I was thinking Jump could have another magazine, where they can move failures that still sell ok, but I realize the downside is if you axe the series there is a chance the author would come back with an actual hit.
Isn't that Jump+? A lot of failures with potential moved to there
 

animeexpert

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jun 1, 2019
Messages
1,635
Reaction score
1,269
Age
29
Country
Norway
An anime is just the content of the manga animated, which reach people that wouldn't heard about it otherwise. However, it relies on the content of the series, if the content is bad, there is no use.
Do you think the series sold all that because of the program and not because of the quality of it? You are stepping in dangerous land there. :3c
If they talked about, I don't know, Sensei no Bulge, the readers just would say they are crazy and that's it.
It was just an incentive to make people look at it, but to make people buy 30+ volumes only one thing is effective: quality, advertisement only can do so much.

January Campaign? Now it is a serious question.
To put it simple. Not everyone read manga or lightnovels, and we will always have those people. Anime can do wonders, it can popularize bad written same as good written manga.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Hello my name is Sunny, I am new to interacting with the manga-helper forums

My interests in jump manga are:

The promised neverland
My hero academia
One Piece
Dr Stone
Kimetsu
Jujutsu Kaisen
Mitama Security (Recently)

I look forward to contributing to this forum. Thank you all
Good tastes my friend
 

Ctkk

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 8, 2019
Messages
692
Reaction score
874
Country
Highgarden
Now even Spy x Family is above KnY in Shosheki. Either Kimetsu is extremely front-loaded, or they under-printed it massively.
 

Franz

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Mar 7, 2015
Messages
12,549
Reaction score
11,289
Age
33
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
Now even Spy x Family is above KnY in Shosheki. Either Kimetsu is extremely front-loaded, or they under-printed it massively.
Can you post the list ?
 

Ctkk

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 8, 2019
Messages
692
Reaction score
874
Country
Highgarden

Franz

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Mar 7, 2015
Messages
12,549
Reaction score
11,289
Age
33
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
So:
1 One Piece
2 Neverland
3 Spy x Family
4 Kimetsu 
5 The Ride-On King
6 Death March to the Parallel World Rhapsody
7 Beastars
8 Black Clover
9 Soma
10 How Not to Summon a Demon Lord
11 Jujutsu
12 Uq Holder
13 Kaguya sama
14 Boruto
 
Last edited:

Jovan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 20, 2018
Messages
2,245
Reaction score
5,772
Age
29
Country
United States
So:
1 One Piece
2 Neverland
3 Spy x Family
4 Kimetsu 
5 Putin
6 Death March to the Parallel World Rhapsody
7 Beastars
8 Black Clover
9 Soma
10 How Not to Summon a Demon Lord
11 Jujutsu
12 Uq Holder
13 Kaguya sama
14 Boruto
13. is a reprint of a shoujo manga Toshokan Sensou: Love & War.

Kaguya-sama is かぐや様は告らせたい ~天才たちの恋愛頭脳戦~
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Where would you give credit to Spy x Family? The characters and their relationship? The story? The sum of everything?
What makes it that good?

I know it is great, but I didn't expect such thing at all, I cannot explain its success. XD

Also, since the series is all about people keeping secrets from everybody what do you guys keep secret from everybody? :3c
 

Serinox

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 24, 2017
Messages
1,927
Reaction score
4,779
Country
Dragonstone
I wonder if this is an actual Twitter of hers. I’ve seen a lot of Yaiba fanart from her and I honestly wouldn’t mind a spin-off from her if she wasn’t working on MAO.
Aside from the fact that the Twitter account labels itself as a "fan account": Rumiko apparently said she can't use smartphones and computers, so I doubt she would operate a Twitter page.

(especially on 3 volumes/year)
Would make it even more sad/memorable if it happened this year, where OP actually had four volumes out again in the sales period.
 

Newkerzy

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 22, 2008
Messages
7,559
Reaction score
5,409
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
Where would you give credit to Spy x Family? The characters and their relationship? The story? The sum of everything?
What makes it that good?

I know it is great, but I didn't expect such thing at all, I cannot explain its success. XD

Also, since the series is all about people keeping secrets from everybody what do you guys keep secret from everybody? :3c
The characters. From the get-go, the author established his characters well, from their roles to their interactions. The story isn't really a selling point. But it will nonetheless affect the characters and we'll see how everyone reacts to it. Even the bratty tsundere bully in Anya's school might have potential in getting caught up with the whirlwind of the plot.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top