Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2020] - Discussion and ToC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,474
Reaction score
39,407
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
MANGAHELPERS "TOC" POLL ISSUE #51 - VOTING!​

The poll for issue #51 is now open, vote for your favorite chapters of the week clicking HERE!

Alongside the release of Sakamoto Days, the extra series this week are:

-Dragon Ball Super 66
-Boruto: Naruto Next Generations 52
-Ghost Reaper Girl 10


Good Votes!
 
Last edited:

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Moderator Notice:
Henceforth, I will be deleting posts that complain about Weekly Shonen Jump having too many/not enough gag/battle/exorcism/sports/etc series.

These posts are not insightful, and do not meaningfully contribute to this thread. Also, this decision is not up for discussion, so posts discussing this decision will also be deleted.~ Halloween
 
Last edited:

Ryuusei

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2019
Messages
1,859
Reaction score
12,832
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
呪 僕 O マ ブ S C D 破 C B 夜 C 僕 あ 灼 ぼ チ 高 ア 森 A 仄 ぼ 次号カラー ヒロアカ アンデラ 夜桜 約ネバ 道産子 GIGA 岸本先生が描くコラボポスター 爆豪クリアファイル
Jujutsu Kaisen (Cover & LCP)
My Hero Academia
One Piece
Mashle
Black Clover
Sakamoto Days (CP)
Dr. Stone
Magu-chan: God of Destruction (CP)
Build King
Mission: Yozakura Family
Me & Roboco
Ayakashi Triangle (CP)
Shakunetsu no Niraikanai
We Never Learn
Chainsaw Man
Koukousei Kazoku
Undead Unluck
Moriking
Agravity Boys
Honomieru Shounen
Bokura no Ketsumei

Issue #1
Cover & LCP: My Hero Academia
CP: Undead Unluck, Mission: Yozakura Family, The Promised Neverland, Dosanko Gyaru wa Namaramenkoi

GIGA Preview
Collab poster by Kishimoto
Bakugou clear file
 
Last edited:

101nemesis

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 16, 2012
Messages
3,086
Reaction score
7,183
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
India
I want to know how Mashle sales compared to Samurai 8.

I remember that Samurai 8 started with decent sales (although its positions in the TOC were bad). It will be good to compare to know what WSJ think about Mashle sales.



Thank you.
S8 was cancelled for an entirely different reason.
Mashle does not fall under the same umbrella of reasoning as S8 when it comes to longevity.

If anything, S8 has been revolutionary in how it has forced WSJ to never overprint volumes for any newbies. It's why you constantly see most newbies get reprint information. They've been very defensive with printing volumes for new series ever since S8.

Not the legacy S8 fans wanted but its what you got.
 

RafGL

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 4, 2019
Messages
1,007
Reaction score
5,867
Age
25
Gender
Male
Country
Spain
I want to know how Mashle sales compared to Samurai 8.

I remember that Samurai 8 started with decent sales (although its positions in the TOC were bad). It will be good to compare to know what WSJ think about Mashle sales.
Since we're doing estimations, let's compare estimations, even if we're just putting context all aside. It's not fully updated, not like I cba doing it, but you can get a good view with this I guess. They were insanely bad.



Also weeks that ranked in Oricon so it's visible Shoseki is always a bit inflated.

 

Mankichi Togawa

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jun 26, 2014
Messages
5,547
Reaction score
15,706
Gender
Male
Country
Spain
So we can say the 30k club has finally resurrected
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,296
Reaction score
7,332
Age
33
Country
Scotland
One thing I noticed is that Ghost Writer's ch 1 trailer on youtube has a good bit less views than Bone and Moriking, and also much higher dislikes (over 40% dislikes, compared to Bone only having ~8% and Moriking ~2%). So it doesn't seem like the controversy is getting more people reading than usual, rather it seems like it's just makes it much less popular with the regular readers.

But then again Zipman's video has high views and barely any dislikes but it got cancelled right away so the videos aren't always a good indication of popularity.
 

Konja9

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2015
Messages
472
Reaction score
451
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Peru
Since we're doing estimations, let's compare estimations, even if we're just putting context all aside. It's not fully updated, not like I cba doing it, but you can get a good view with this I guess. They were insanely bad.



Also weeks that ranked in Oricon so it's visible Shoseki is always a bit inflated.

Thank you very much.

Yeah. This wasn't good for Samurai 8. Volume 1 and Volume 2 (that were released the same day) started with decent estimates in Shoseki, these estimates were better than Mashle. The big problem is Samurai 8 had a horrible fall for the next volume.

I really doubt Mashle will have so big fall.


PS: It seems Shoseki inflated Samurai 8 numbers, is this common with other manga? Or only Samurai 8?
 

Stivie

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 23, 2019
Messages
3,120
Reaction score
2,340
Age
37
Country
Brazil
Will Mashle enter the oricon rank?
 

BX-02BLODIA

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 9, 2019
Messages
1,120
Reaction score
2,052
Age
24
Country
United States

Akuma no Memumemu-chan Vol 10 obi will have a comment from Iori Moe (Gravure Idol)
Illustration from Akutami Gege (Jujutsu Kaisen), Ihara Daiki (Koisuru One Piece), Demizu Posuka (The Promised Neverland), Totsuno Takahide (Alice to Taiyou), Hasegawa Tomohiro (Shinrin Ouja Moriking), Fujimoto Tatsuki (Chainsaw Man) & Miura Tadahiro (Yuuna and the Haunted Hotsprings)
Reminds me that the series is still yet to be translated by anyone.
 

Koni

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 24, 2019
Messages
2,002
Reaction score
4,934
Age
27
Country
United States
One thing I noticed is that Ghost Writer's ch 1 trailer on youtube has a good bit less views than Bone and Moriking, and also much higher dislikes (over 40% dislikes, compared to Bone only having ~8% and Moriking ~2%). So it doesn't seem like the controversy is getting more people reading than usual, rather it seems like it's just makes it much less popular with the regular readers.

But then again Zipman's video has high views and barely any dislikes but it got cancelled right away so the videos aren't always a good indication of popularity.
Okay, there's a funny thing about the views on these trailers. Well, something I theorize anyway. When I originally talked about the trailers and comments, I could've sworn that Guardian of the Witch had less than 20K views. I WISH I had a graph of views over time or that I had taken down the notes of the views but when I came back to the video after the manga got axed, the viewership suddenly jumped. It's at 72K views now. Note that Zipman also has a high viewcount and it was axed as well. So maybe axed manga get higher view counts because people come back to the video and talk about how it's cancelled now?

I want to test this theory, so when I talk about the PVs on Dolphin, Magu-chan, and Roboko later this month,I'll also take the viewcounts for each of the currently running series and see what happens if/when they get axed.
 

101nemesis

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 16, 2012
Messages
3,086
Reaction score
7,183
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
India
Okay, there's a funny thing about the views on these trailers. Well, something I theorize anyway. When I originally talked about the trailers and comments, I could've sworn that Guardian of the Witch had less than 20K views. I WISH I had a graph of views over time or that I had taken down the notes of the views but when I came back to the video after the manga got axed, the viewership suddenly jumped. It's at 72K views now. Note that Zipman also has a high viewcount and it was axed as well. So maybe axed manga get higher view counts because people come back to the video and talk about how it's cancelled now?

I want to test this theory, so when I talk about the PVs on Dolphin, Magu-chan, and Roboko later this month,I'll also take the viewcounts for each of the currently running series and see what happens if/when they get axed.
This is possible. The most buzz these series probably gain (after their debut chapter) would be when they are cancelled so it would explain why the increase in hits/views happen after cancellation.
 

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I could have swore that I prohibited talk about Teppei's plagiarism, and yet here we are.

It would appear that some deletions are in order. No more discussion on this subject, everyone.
 
Last edited:

Ryuusei

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2019
Messages
1,859
Reaction score
12,832
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Black Clover is still at 10 million in circulation. This figure has remained unchaged since January when volume 23 got released.




27 million copies
This is consistency.
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,296
Reaction score
7,332
Age
33
Country
Scotland
Okay, there's a funny thing about the views on these trailers. Well, something I theorize anyway. When I originally talked about the trailers and comments, I could've sworn that Guardian of the Witch had less than 20K views. I WISH I had a graph of views over time or that I had taken down the notes of the views but when I came back to the video after the manga got axed, the viewership suddenly jumped. It's at 72K views now. Note that Zipman also has a high viewcount and it was axed as well. So maybe axed manga get higher view counts because people come back to the video and talk about how it's cancelled now?

I want to test this theory, so when I talk about the PVs on Dolphin, Magu-chan, and Roboko later this month,I'll also take the viewcounts for each of the currently running series and see what happens if/when they get axed.
That would make sense, people going back to comment on a cancelled series' promo in retrospect. Looking at the current new batch

- Ayakashi Triange is already at 77k, and I think I remember it having about 70k views after the first week
- Magu-chan is just under 10k
- Dolphin current has 11k, so I'm guessing it'll maybe get about 13-14k by the end of the first week

You can see just how much extra hype Ayakashi has compared to the other two. It's clear people are a lot more excited for Yabuki's return after years doing things elsewhere compared to Tamura who's already returned with a flop. None of them have many dislikes however so they're all good on that front.

I'm curious what kind of early views Roboko will get.
 

Franz

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Mar 7, 2015
Messages
12,554
Reaction score
11,295
Age
33
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
At this rate Black Clover will not reach the 20 milion copies sell even by the end.
 

Newkerzy

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 22, 2008
Messages
7,560
Reaction score
5,412
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
This is consistency.
It’s a bit of a shame though. If this stays until the end, then I don’t think we’ll ever see it cracking the hallowed pantheon of the 100M club.... At best, it’ll reach 50-52M depending on how long it lasts. Which is a number most manga would kill to have, but underwhelming for a series of its stature.

If we want to add global sales, it should be at 32-37M right? I forgot what number Viz’s numbers were last year (I know Viz isn’t “global”, but at least it’s a good measuring stick given what little resources we have).
 

Thundercat27

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 25, 2019
Messages
1,116
Reaction score
2,027
Gender
Male
Country
The Wall
If anything, S8 has been revolutionary in how it has forced WSJ to never overprint volumes for any newbies. It's why you constantly see most newbies get reprint information. They've been very defensive with printing volumes for new series ever since S8.

Not the legacy S8 fans wanted but its what you got.
Holy shit, I have never thought about this.
Based Kishi and super based S8.
 

Franz

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Mar 7, 2015
Messages
12,554
Reaction score
11,295
Age
33
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
Even from 30 million and up it would be a nice numer for My Hero, it is the same manga figure as Reborn or Nanatsu

While for Black Clover the 20 million I think is the maximum aspirable.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top