Digimon? I agree the Isekai anime nowadays is bland and carbon copy but in 90's Isekai anime were full of creativity and much better world building stories without needed self-insert plot all over again like Kirito from sword art online.
For me Digimon and Overlord should be the best example for writing Isekai. Even If Oda and Shimabu make an Isekai, they can still execute much better.
Oh for sure, I was talking about nowadays speciafally which I gave a extra caption of "nowadays isekai". Hack sign series, shoujo to shounen esc isekais.
It was alot of experimental and actual story telling what an story is about. Not every have to be ground breaking big brain writing but atleast mann be atleast a bit original, isekai =/= another world. there is so much you can do with it like go to space/ labyrinths or heck even about burglars from an new LN lord of mysterious.
My favs has a opie concept like problem children & no game no life on how well they execute something with explanation/ unique world building/ denies the harem concept which makes it refreshing
But if I see another kirito look alike with (self insert random cheat power) + harem to defeat the demon lord for the 1038x. Sorry Its just too easy to trash on..
(Shield hero does it well imo)
People can like what they want but there are things that ya have to be aware
But oh well it's just me being serious since the sole purpose of this genre is entertainment.
Its reflects the japanese espcially and people in general of wish full-fillment for neet that reflects the era. A genre I once loved but now being very discreet.
Sorry if it was offensive looking with my comments
Any back to jump, maybe we should make an isekai-jump section to talk about this further