Mag Talk - Weekly Shonen Jump [2020] - Discussion and ToC Talk | Page 1398 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2020] - Discussion and ToC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
MANGAHELPERS "TOC" POLL ISSUE #51 - VOTING!

The poll for issue #51 is now open, vote for your favorite chapters of the week clicking HERE!

Alongside the release of Sakamoto Days, the extra series this week are:

-Dragon Ball Super 66
-Boruto: Naruto Next Generations 52
-Ghost Reaper Girl 10

Good Votes!

Last edited:

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
[mod=Halloween]Henceforth, I will be deleting posts that complain about Weekly Shonen Jump having too many/not enough gag/battle/exorcism/sports/etc series.

These posts are not insightful, and do not meaningfully contribute to this thread. Also, this decision is not up for discussion, so posts discussing this decision will also be deleted.[/mod]

Last edited:

Ryuusei

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
呪 僕 O マ ブ S C D 破 C B 夜 C 僕 あ 灼 ぼ チ 高 ア 森 A 仄 ぼ 次号カラー ヒロアカ アンデラ 夜桜 約ネバ 道産子 GIGA 岸本先生が描くコラボポスター 爆豪クリアファイル
Jujutsu Kaisen (Cover & LCP)
My Hero Academia
One Piece
Mashle
Black Clover
Sakamoto Days (CP)
Dr. Stone
Magu-chan: God of Destruction (CP)
Build King
Mission: Yozakura Family
Me & Roboco
Ayakashi Triangle (CP)
Shakunetsu no Niraikanai
We Never Learn
Chainsaw Man
Koukousei Kazoku
Undead Unluck
Moriking
Agravity Boys
Honomieru Shounen
Bokura no Ketsumei

Issue #1
Cover & LCP: My Hero Academia
CP: Undead Unluck, Mission: Yozakura Family, The Promised Neverland, Dosanko Gyaru wa Namaramenkoi

GIGA Preview
Collab poster by Kishimoto
Bakugou clear file

Last edited:

yadayada

Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
You always have to count an extra day with One Piece because it sells pretty well the day before release. But to be honest, I am wondering more about sales in the long run than right now, if One Piece will keep dropping or not.
That's true about day 0 being a thing for OP, but that only makes it even less weird for Kingdom to be first today.

And yeah OP could just keep dropping, it's not unlikely, although there's probably going to be some really heavy promo for OP next year due to all the milestones it's going to hit (1000 chapters, 100 volumes, maybe 1000 episodes?) so we'll see if it works out.

Jorden Rivera

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
JJK fans are eating good today. A cover, PV and the first episode dropped. I don’t know how I feel about the OP yet (assuming that song is the OP). I’m gonna need the visuals to properly judge it.

Pudazuka

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Germany
I really took a liking to High School Family. The series is really good at combining comedy with more serious slice if life (if only a little). The premise is a bit ridiculous but the mangaka approaches it realistically (like, with the reactions of the other students e.g.) and I love it. It pretty much fills the hole that Mitama left.

Last edited:

Stivie

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
I don't think Kokosei kazoku is bad, but there are already Roboko, Agravity and many others in the magazine that are also fun.
And fun for fun gets sick over time, it's the same thing that you eat pizza all day, no matter if the taste is different, you're going to get sick over time.

I hope Phantom seer survives, the jump has reached the point that terror is more refreshing than comedy.

Thundercat27

Reaction score
Country
The Wall
CSM is weird, dumb, non-sensical and can not be anymore enjoyable.
Imagine Rin-san asked Fujimoto what he gonna do after that major revelation and got the answer: "Denji slaughtering people for a fucking burger."
Also, again, JJK with another weird character choice for volume cover.

James Rye

Reaction score
Country
Germany
To what kind of sales do you all think JjK will increase while the anime runs/after the first season? 500k? 600k? 700k? 800k? 900k? 1 Million?

desu

Banned
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
To what kind of sales do you all think JjK will increase while the anime runs/after the first season? 500k? 600k? 700k? 800k? 900k? 1 Million?
500k max? Honestly, even as a fan and never thinking the first 10 chapters or so were bad, I believe they're not strong either. It's been my favorite in this magazine to read weekly for some time, but if I knew nothing about it and watched this first episode, I don't think I'd keep watching. Pacing was weird, didn't flow well.
I'd be glad to be proved wrong, tho.

KagamiKuroko

Reaction score
Country
United States
550-600k first month

Rica_Patin

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Which contemporary Jump mangaka do you think would do a great delinquent series? I'd love to see something from Kawada,
Yuki Tabata definitely could come back with a high school delinquent series. Still with hot blooded action of course, but with a lot of focus on comedy and slice of life antics as well.
Yushin Kuroki could probably do something great. I'm curious how he'd do with a more grounded cast than David.
Can't wait for Yusuke Utsumi or Takamasa Moue to return but I just want anything from them (Galaxy Gangs from Moue please).
For some reason I'd love to see a delinquent basketball series from Mikio Ikemoto.
Also, if Boiled Pig & Dolphin doesn't work out than I'd kill to see Tamura back with a delinquent sports series. Maybe rugby?

ItsSamu

Reaction score
Country
Scotland
I don't think Kokosei kazoku is bad, but there are already Roboko, Agravity and many others in the magazine that are also fun.
And fun for fun gets sick over time, it's the same thing that you eat pizza all day, no matter if the taste is different, you're going to get sick over time.

I hope Phantom seer survives, the jump has reached the point that terror is more refreshing than comedy.
The good thing about pizza though is there's so many different flavours and combinations! Just like the gag manga running in Jump right now.

Agravity Boys is very wordy with its jokes, paired with its sci-fi world building, not too dissimilar to Gintama. High School Family: Kokosei Kazoku on the other hand works because of Ryo Nakama's intentionally crude artwork and strong panelling always building up to visual gags. Me & Roboco is very referential with its humour while Morikng plays up the straight-man dynamic with all the absurd things happening. The others are more action-comedy hybrids; Mashle with its deadpan oneliners and Hard-Boiled Cop and Dolphin's more crass sense of humour.

There's so many ways to do comedy/gag manga, just like with any genre. Clearly that variety of choice all at once is not your thing, but they're always going to be in the magazine so complaining that they do exist is kind of a pointless endeavour. Half of them will probably be gone in a year's time anyway.

Last edited:

Rica_Patin

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Also, now that the new batch has been fully debuted, how would you guys rank them alongside the entire magazine at the moment? Based purely on current enjoyment of the series at this point in time. Not overall.

For me ranked. Only based on what I'm reading (although I think I'll drop Me & Roboco and Our Blood Oath)

Chainsaw Man- I don't even vote for it in the polls anymore because I know it's going to end up first no matter what at this point. Best series Jump has ever serialized. Perhaps my favorite manga period.

High School Family- Absolutely love it. Jump should have just gone with this rather than oversaturate us with comedies for the past while. Already shaping up to be one of my favorite Jump comedies. Great cast, classic premise, and hilarious gags.

Undead x Unluck- Hated it at first. Now am a huge fan. Once Chainsaw leaves us at least we'll still have a trashy fun over the top take on shonen battle manga with a cast of traumatized, unlikeable characters you can't help but love.

Jujutsu Kaisen- I was struggling with this arc for a while, but the most recent developments have been truly insane and reminded me why I was initially so on board with this series. Let's hope it can keep this up.

One Piece- Personally, I'm really liking Wano right now. Especially the last few chapters have been so great.

Mashle- Helck in Weekly Shonen Jump. So good.

Boiled Pig & Dolphin- I think this will improve as the world and characters are more built up, just like Beelzebub. I'm still enjoying it quite a bit atm, and love the creativity and sea creature premise. Still feel like making the main character a cop is a bit of a roadblock for me though.

Agravity Boys- I love the premise and characters and so many chapters have really filled that Gintama hole. However just like Gintama so many chapters have also been misses. Like that whole terrible school flashback arc we just suffered through. Overall I love this series though and really hope it manages to survive until it gets an anime. Then maybe it can properly blow up.

Black Clover- Fun. Still blows me away how much Tabata has improved as a mangaka since this series first year.

Ayakashi Triangle- I really like the premise, and characters. I'd prefer more plot or lore focused chapters rather than the ecchi though.

Magu-chan- Hit or miss. I've really liked a couple of chapters, but for the most part it's kind of forgettable for me. Never outright bad though.

Phantom Seer- I really want to like this because of the artist, however I simply can't force myself to care about this. Don't really care for the characters, and the story/premise feels really stale to me. Especially alongside JJK and Chainsaw Man.

Moriking- I really loved it initially. Thought it was so fresh, loved the premise, the characters, and especially the comedy. However I feel like I've been reading the same 1-3 chapters recycled for months now. With the exception of the most recent chapter, the series completely put the Gash Bell esque tournament on the sideline, which while I don't think a constant focus on it is needed, without it in the background the series has just felt completely aimless and without urgency which is a tone is had previously managed to blend quite well with a chill slice of life vibe.

Me & Roboco- I wouldn't call it bad, but it's not my thing personally.

Dr. Stone- Loud noise

My Hero Academia- LOUDER NOISE

Our Blood Oath- One of the worst Jump debuts I've read in a long time.

Mission: Yozakura Family- lol not even gonna engage.

Stivie

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
The good thing about pizza though is there's so many different flavours and combinations! Just like the gag manga running in Jump right now.

Agravity Boys is very wordy with its jokes, paired with its sci-fi world building, not too dissimilar to Gintama. High School Family: Kokosei Kazoku on the other hand works because of Ryo Nakama's intentionally crude artwork and panelling always building up to visual gags. Me & Roboco is very referential with its humour while Morikng plays up the straight-man dynamic with all the absurd things happening. The others are more action-comedy hybrids; Mashle with its deadpan oneliners and Hard-Boiled Cop and Dolphin's more crass sense of humour.

There's so many ways to do comedy/gag manga, just like with any genre. Clearly that variety of choice all at once is not your thing, but they're always going to be in the magazine so complaining that they do exist is kind of a pointless endeavour. Half of them will probably be gone in a year's time anyway.
But even with so many pizza flavors from the days of the week it still gets sick.

You always complain about exorcist manga buying but diversity in the jump, however it is difficult to have diversity when you have 8 comedies in a magazine with 19 titles.

It's like I said before, when Phantom seer and bokura fail at least they will be canceled with a maximum of 19 chapters.
But in the case of comedies, the jump is going to be safe for a LONG time, just like it was with mitama and like it's happening with agravity boys. And it will probably be with Moriking, even if they sell less than 3K a month.

Thundercat27

Reaction score
Country
The Wall
Dr. Stone- Loud noise

My Hero Academia- LOUDER NOISE
Cute and based opinion, thought I struggle to see why you didn't lump black clover together with them. One Piece is pure noise for me too ever since timeskip.
On an another note, JJK would be in the same category of noise if the author was a coward who played its safe. Mahito is a million time more evil and interesting than Shiggy.

And arguing about saturation of genre in WSJ is dumb. You are not mandated to read everything in WSJ. You are a person of free will, whose reading decision is totally up to you. If you sick of too much comedy in Jump, just don't read them. There are plenty of manga and magazine out there, which some ought to become your next favourites. It's more beneficial to find interesting thing to read than obligingly reading stuff you dislike. This sounds extremely hypocrite coming from the guy who just wrote a paragraph complaining about WSJ manga.

Thehoennhippo

Reaction score
Country
United States
Been a big fan of Eve's music for a long time, liked what was in the PV, exited to see the visuals that go along with it. Think I'll hold off on episode one, I'll watch it when it airs.

Lord fifth

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Israel
It's more beneficial to find interesting thing to read than obligingly reading stuff you dislike.
So why do you read stuff you dislike?

Acknowledging you sound hypocritical doesn't make you any less hypocritical, if you don't enjoy a manga, stop reading it.

Thundercat27

Reaction score
Country
The Wall
So why do you read stuff you dislike?

Acknowledging you sound hypocritical doesn't make you any less hypocritical, if you don't enjoy a manga, stop reading it.
Maybe I used to like them and have some wicked hope they might "git gud" again.
Or maybe I am an otter. There are stuff worth turning into an otter for hate-reading them. All these axebait gag and exorcists shit aint worth it tho ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ .

Status
Not open for further replies.